Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 19:15   #406

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Hi, I have a new Duke 200 in Malaysia - two weeks now.

I have investigated the petrol leaking issue - please all Duke riders take note.

In my efforts to ensure my bike is in top condition, I had noticed on various forums that a number of people had experienced petrol overflow, and petrol smell issues. A least one was advised “do not fill the tank so full”.

So, I filled my tank to the top – just below the designed overflow tray – and petrol suddenly was leaking all over the engine. Not just a drop, but a substantial amount. Note – the petrol was not exiting through the designed overflow that takes it down a tube on the left hand side under the tank cover.

As I see this as a major safety issue – petrol leaking onto a potentially hot engine – I have now diagnosed the issue. I removed the tank, then filled the tank to the top. Petrol was pouring from the seal between the tank and the overflow shroud, which means that the petrol then pours around the tank on all sides and then straight down, where the engine is.

I removed the shroud – 3 allen screws – and found that the rubber seal is inadequate, or the compression of the seal between the plastic shroud to the plastic tank by these three screws is inadequate.

I have solved my issue by using an additional sealant (silicone) as well as the rubber gasket. I can now fill the tank to the top with no issue.

Safe riding from Malaysia
terryv is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 21:04   #407
BHPian

Anyone here heading for the Duke Race in Pune this sunday?
Old 30th August 2012, 02:21   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv View Post
I have investigated the petrol leaking issue - please all Duke riders take note.

In my efforts to ensure my bike is in top condition, I had noticed on various forums that a number of people had experienced petrol overflow, and petrol smell issues.

I have solved my issue by using an additional sealant (silicone) as well as the rubber gasket. I can now fill the tank to the top with no issue.

Can you attach some pics with the tank and the change to the sealing area that you have made. Also do you notice any change in the performance of the engine after this modification?
Thanks

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting a full post since it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th August 2012 at 13:21. Reason: quoted text shortened
Old 30th August 2012, 02:28   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
My brakes have begun to squeak. I am nearing 1K Kms on the odo. Since I wear helmet all the time I am not able to pin point whether it is coming from the front or rear brakes.

Has anyone else faced this problem? I really have'nt done any stoppies or panic braking...could that be the reason? becoz I've been babying it and the pads have'nt seated well? I normally use only 2 fingers to slow down and that has seemed adequate for me till now.

My bike should be due for service by this weekend and I shall get it checked, in the meantime if one of u could share your feedback one the same it will be very helpful

PS: Got rid of that god awful hugger after a week from purchase. It serves no purpose and does a fine job of fuglifying the rear.
Thanks..Happy riding
Yep the brakes (front) on my bike started squealing after 5000 km, just before the second service. But only during the phase when the wheel is about to lock, not in the normal operation of braking (where it continues to roll). I was worried then that the pads may have been consumed. But the service manager explained that the pads catch moisture, and harden causing the locking of pad on brakes. It was OK for some km after the 2nd service and but it has again started albeit not as severe as it was earlier.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:16   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv View Post
Hi, I have a new Duke 200 in Malaysia - two weeks now.

Fantastic first post terry! and thanks for sharing!
DIY is the way forward considering a majority of our Authorised SS in India really have zero competency, aptitude, passion or the interest to learn working on these bikes.
Let me give you an example of the jugaad that happens in Authorised SS:
How many here have had their fuel filters changed OR the tank removed for some work or the other? There is a plastic part which sits below the fuel tank cap. The holes apparently are too small and is the 'reason' for tanks to crack at the fuel cap. SO our 'boffins' actually take a drill onto the plastic part and make the hole bigger before re-installing it. I refuse to believe that is the solution and it is plain Jugaad! How sad to see new bikes being molested at Authorised Service Stations.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:30   #411
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

In case Malaysian Terry is wondering, "jugaad" is a street workaround/compromise to get the job done by jury-rigging something with what you have at hand - and not necssarily the best or most optimal way.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:47   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Fantastic first post terry! and thanks for sharing!
======
How sad to see new bikes being molested at Authorised Service Stations.
My bike is due for second service this weekend, will keep an eye on what they do while trying replace the fuel filter.

Where did you get those nice skid-plates done in Bangalore?
Old 30th August 2012, 12:54   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
My bike is due for second service this weekend, will keep an eye on what they do while trying replace the fuel filter.

Where did you get those nice skid-plates done in Bangalore?
Sam,
Regarding the drill,tank topic. As long as you are going to a Service station, let them do it the way they want to or know to. God forbid your tank cracks if you do not allow them to do what they know, you will be on your own.

Where did you see my skid plates?
Yes, skid plates were done in bangalore. Design is a rip-off of many skid plate designs we got off the net (some provided by doc here) and improvised while making it. ANY fabricator will be able to make one for you.

Cheers,
Kapil
Old 30th August 2012, 13:13   #414
Senior - BHPian

Do they need to open the outer tank shroud for changing the fuel filter? Everything is nice and set and dry and I would hate something new cropping up unnecessarily.

Just need to be careful not to overfill - which is bit of a pain as the hole is too small and with the fuel spigot in, the attendant cannot see the fuel level easily, so need to pull back/up the spigot and go with an easy hand during the last half liter of or so and make sure he stops well in time.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:45   #415
BHPian

Yes doc! Unfortunately, the fuel filter is placed right under the fuel tank. You have to not only remove the outer fuel tank shroud, you also will end up lifting the tank up to access the filter.
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 14:26   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Sam,
Regarding the drill,tank topic.
----
Where did you see my skid plates?
I will notice what they do & by any chance did you get the fuel filter changed from Autoservice?

Found the skid plate pics from your blog
More pics of the skid plate will be helpful was looking for something like that because the stock under belly pan just lets all the mud & dirt get accumulated.
Also observed both the bikes had different types of skid plate, any specific reason to go for two different designs?
Old 30th August 2012, 17:07   #417

Brakes normally will squeak when they get some dirt or small stones in them - pull the pads out, and check that they are nice and clean, with no stones embedded - happens when you drive through puddles.

Thanks for jugaad explanation !!!!

First service in Malaysia has been change the oil and filter - to my knowledge, currently no dealer has a workshop manual, or the X1 tester so cannot look at the ECU info to determine if there is a failing, or failed, component on the bike. Valve clearances also have not been done to my knowledge. If there is a hard failure for most of the injection components the MIL light will come on, and then the error can be read using a technique of turning on the ignition whilst holding the throttle wide open - it gets a little complicated but if there are DIYers out there that want the info then ask. But some components will not turn the MIL light on, and need the X! tester to look at it.

The Motronic ECU uses CAN Bus technology - has anyone out there hooked up their bike to TuneECU ?

Another issue that some have commented on - close gear ratios - well the gear ratios and the sprocket and pinion are the same as the 125 - so obviously it was designed for the 125 - easy fix is to put a smaller sprocket on the rear - current ratio is 3.00 with 42 tooth sprocket and top speed of 138kph - I do not like the high revs at normal cruising 100kph so am fitting a 33 teeth rear sprocket = 2.36 ratio = 175kph top, but all I want is lower revs at normal cruising and I think the 200 has plenty of torque to deal with this - I will let you know what it is like. Should see a drop in revs from 7800 to 6000 at 100kph.

Safe riding .....
Old 30th August 2012, 19:07   #418
Senior - BHPian

33 rear is way too small bro. I mentioned possible swaps in a post some time back on this thread. Suggested by the test guys at VisorDown. I would personally not drop more than a couple of teeth at the back or maybe ad a tooth up front.

I do agree though that even though the motor is built for it and it is its inherent high revving character (really hi tech super light crank and piston helps), I too feel its a bit too busy and just out of its sweet spot 100 and above. 90 is just perfect for all day running.

I would like to increase that "just perfect" spot to about 110, for 100-110 kmph cruising all day.

Which sprockets do you plan to fit? Been waiting for someone to find an Indian jugaad here that does not cost an arm and a leg (which is what original KTM power parts will - oh yes, they will be orange! ) LOL

Last edited by ebonho : 30th August 2012 at 19:16.
Old 30th August 2012, 19:52   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Which sprockets do you plan to fit?
Well talking about sprockets, do you think this or this will fit the D200?

Any idea of the part# of the front sprocket?
Old 31st August 2012, 10:20   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Well talking about sprockets, do you think this or this will fit the D200?

Any idea of the part# of the front sprocket?
No idea till you physically try fitting it bro. The chain pitch and other details are available of course. Its the fitment holes (dia, spacing, distance, etc.) where the issue lies.

So if you are ordering from abroad from one of these catalogue websites, its always going to be a lottery, till someone gets the correct info. Which is why I said I was waiting to see if some of the sprockets from other Indian bikes with similar chain specs fit.

I wouldn't fool around too much on the number of teeth up or down though. My experiences with sprocketing my 500s have taught me that what the company gives as stock is always the best all-condition real world compromise - and that's what sprocketing always is - a compromise, where you rob Peter to pay Paul.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks