Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 13:09   #361
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

KTM's alliance with Bajaj is bearing fruit, both in Europe as well as the developing world, including India.

Here is a press release from their Investor Relations cell at Mattighofen from a couple of days ago -

Pressemeldung_KTM_Absatz 1. HJ_engl.pdf

Was speaking to someone senior yesterday. Seems the 690 is around the corner. Pricing as always is something people are looking to Bajaj for in terms of yet another rabbit out of the hat!

The 375 (badged as a 390) though does not seem to be very optimistic for in terms of end of this year/early next year. Seems it is still a year away. :(

Last edited by ebonho : 21st July 2012 at 13:13.
Old 27th July 2012, 16:26   #362
Senior - BHPian

Did a small ride to Mumbai and back over the weekend. First proper ride in the wet. The tyres are super and stick like velcro to the road, and braking has a lot of feedback with resulting good confidence. As usual though, need to be careful on wet shiny concrete Mumbai roads.

I personally feel the front brakes have lost some of their initial brand new manic bite. Still very very good though. The back does not lock up as often ..... more to do with a more modulated foot than loss of bite though.

The bike performed great as always without mising a beat. Filled Shell for the first time (normal) - found the bike to be more responsive and clean accelerating with Speed, which I filled on the way back.

The headlight is really not very good. Yes it has decent spread but very poor throw, not to mention not very bright - especially when the lens get covered with muck spray. This bike surely needs a beter headlight (one of the first feedbacks I had given to the Bajaj/KTM team post our Goa ride itself).

The ride back at night, especialy on the very dark and largely unmarked and heavily rained out Panvel-Khopoli stretch saw me struggling to maintain even 65-70 kmph with the visor down. With the visor up, visibility improves, but your eyes take a lashing with the rain. Even so, managed to reach Pune in just under 3 hours, including a 10 minute fuel halt.

But to be honest, if there is a lot of night riding involved, I would seriously ponder deep and hard about my choice of bikes given that my Bullet 500 has BRILLIANT lights.

Lastly, this bike is really difficult to clean when seriously mucky man! Took me a good 2 hours, and even then, the next morning I saw a lot of still muddy spots that I had missed when the bike was wet. But cloth and bucket is still way better than a pressure wash.

A few days prior to the ride I had gone to get my shocks adjusted and chain adjusted and cleaned and lubed at the ASC. The bike was pressure washed at the end. Water must have gotten into some conector or sensor, because on my way back the red engine malfunction light came on and kept going on and off intermittently. Every sensor and connector had to be pressure dried, till finally the light stopped blinking. Not nice.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th July 2012 at 16:49.
Old 27th July 2012, 17:29   #363
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A few days prior to the ride I had gone to get my shocks adjusted and chain adjusted and cleaned and lubed at the ASC. The bike was pressure washed at the end. Water must have gotten into some conector or sensor, because on my way back the red engine malfunction light came on and kept going on and off intermittently. Every sensor and connector had to be pressure dried, till finally the light stopped blinking. Not nice.
Happened to me also, just open the rear sear and pull out the small fuse box. behind the fuse box there are many wires and connectors just use pressurized air, always worked for me. If i get the bike clean near home, i just remove the rear seat and leave the bike in the sun for a while.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 11:32   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Happened to me also, just open the rear sear and pull out the small fuse box. behind the fuse box there are many wires and connectors just use pressurized air, always worked for me. If i get the bike clean near home, i just remove the rear seat and leave the bike in the sun for a while.
When you wash the bike yourself (garden pipe or bucket and cloth) or the bike is drenched in torrential rain (either standing or moving), water never gets into the seat compartment.

I believe by now ASC personnel should be trained/informed well enough to not hose the bike so indiscriminately, what with so many exposed and vulnerable sensors and connectors all over.

I have bent low to look at the wiring and connectors under the tank shroud. Some the wires are so thin and isolated that they would be in danger of getting ripped out/disconnected/broken with normal hand pressure while washing/mopping.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th July 2012 at 11:34.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:13   #365
BHPian

Service interval

Hi Guys,
The 2nd service needs to be done 150 days from the "date of purchase" or from the "date of 1st service"?
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:17   #366
Senior - BHPian

Date of Purchase bro.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:37   #367
BHPian

I assume that the Drain interval for the Motul 7100 FS is 5000 kms. But I have done only 1700 kms on this oil and the service is due. So do I need to change the Oil again or carry on with it till 5000 kms?
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:35   #368
Senior - BHPian

KTM guys suggest sticking to the serice schedule regardless of the drain frequency of your oil.

In fact if the time clause kicks in (vs the kms), they suggest getting the service done anyways, and change the oil later.

Somehow does not sit well with me though ..... nothing like the feel of fresh dino juice.
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:07   #369
BHPian

Quote:
KTM guys suggest sticking to the serice schedule regardless of the drain frequency of your oil.

In fact if the time clause kicks in (vs the kms), they suggest getting the service done anyways, and change the oil later.

Somehow does not sit well with me though ..... nothing like the feel of fresh dino juice.
Yes, I will get the service done. But wont change the oil as I wont be riding much in this rainy season (only on weekends).
The Owner's Manual says - "Replace Engine Oil for drain interval of 5000 Kms".
Though it looks like that I can keep the current Motul Oil, but I am worried that it should not void the warranty!
Any idea on warranty front?
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:07   #370
Senior - BHPian

Go by what the KTM service guys advise. I assume you know Brijesh Pandey?
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:25   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Go by what the KTM service guys advise. I assume you know Brijesh Pandey?
Yes. Will have a call with him today.
Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 10:00   #372

I am doing some 130-km nonstop runs (and 260-km runs with one brief stop) occasionally in poring rains. Didn't have much of a problem except that moisture has gotten inside of the MFD. It remains invisible initially and fogs up the display once the bike heats up. Another minor issue is that in interchanges the I do not find the confidence to corner the bike at anything above 80 klicks. And then of course there is this somewhat bigger issue with the cleanability as the doc points out.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:42   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWdriver View Post
I am doing some 130-km nonstop runs (and 260-km runs with one brief stop) occasionally in poring rains. Didn't have much of a problem except that moisture has gotten inside of the MFD. It remains invisible initially and fogs up the display once the bike heats up. Another minor issue is that in interchanges the I do not find the confidence to corner the bike at anything above 80 klicks. And then of course there is this somewhat bigger issue with the cleanability as the doc points out.
MFD fogging up is not a minor issue. It should not be happening. We've been told that it has been put through pretty severe water testing and has come out with flying colors without water or moisture getting through.

Make sure your tyre pressure is correct, your wheels are aligned correctly, chain setting equal on both sides, and handle and steering column moving feely side to side without tightening up anywh its arc. Also check if your bike is pulling to one side in a straight line. Do it somewhere safe after checking your rear view mirrors and at a manageable speed. The bike should track straight.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:56   #374

Quote:
MFD fogging up is not a minor issue. It should not be happening. We've been told that it has been put through pretty severe water testing and has come out with flying colors without water or moisture getting through.

Make sure your tyre pressure is correct, your wheels are aligned correctly, chain setting equal on both sides, and handle and steering column moving feely side to side without tightening up anywh its arc. Also check if your bike is pulling to one side in a straight line. Do it somewhere safe after checking your rear view mirrors and at a manageable speed. The bike should track straight.
Thanks doc.

Balancing of the bike seems to be ok. I will check that up again. Acturally, I can go around those same interchanges in my VW POLO at pretty much the same speed as the DUKE particularly when the termac is wet. This I thought is a bit of a drag (for the DUKE).

MFD fogging up issue appeared to me to be minor because the moisture is inside the transparent plastic outer cap, which, I thought, only protects the LCD panel inside and the LCD is working without a glitch. In any case, I will be in for the second service in Sep. I thought I could take care of the issue then.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:57   #375
Senior - BHPian

Bro, I did not understand what exactly you meant by "interchanges" ?

Water/moisture should not be visible under the plastic of the MFD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks