Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 14:17   #301
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
So here are the quintessential questions.

Now that many KTMs have run in and clocked decent amount of miles, what mileage (FE) can one expect in the city and on the highways? ()

What would it cost to maintain this bike - service costs, consumables, parts if any that require replacement due to regular wear n tear or repairs due to falls, breakdowns, etc.?

I'm constantly telling myself i dont need the KTM just to commute to work and back. I will occasionally do a highway run just to make my ninja jealous. But before i plonk my money on this would like to know answers to the above.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

As what I feel -

Mileage - again in City If driven nicely gives close to 45kmpl, but if you are really riding the way I am Expect it between 30-35Kmpl.
Highways, again if you are above 85kmph, the average will decrease to 32-35kmpl, as it is mainly dependent on the throttle opening and clsoing and fuel injection timing, which I have noticed as a trend at the service center.

Service Costs, Consumable parts, everything is pretty cheap, nothing as a regualar wear tear I found.
Second to that A few parts are too delicate, even if you have a small fall the handle is supposed to bend, the Foot Step on which the Foot Pegs are mounted that aluminum alooy kinda looking thing, that bends easily.

Ninja, is for sure not just commute bike, if you want to tour you can invest on it, in traffic and city commute this is a HOOT to have, a HOT knife through Butter.

P.S.: One more vey important thing: NEVER! Ever fill the tank completely, the petrol spills out of the tank for next 50-kms atleast, and if that petrol reaches the Readiator Fan, The relay for fan's gonna blow up.
contact.nitin7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 15:20   #302
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Oil is cheap and you only need 1.4 liters. The oild filter is some 150 bucks. The air filter is around the same. So is the spark plug. These are all the consumables in a normal service.
Oil filter is 70 rs.

@Aditya the FE i have got is around 48-52 in the running in period, while keeping the revs really low ie less than 3-4k. After running in i am getting around 40-45 with shifting around 5.5-6k. if you really psuh is till limiter, shifting at 8-10k then FE is 30-34.

Small tank is irritating bit, it doesnt take any more than 6-7 ltrs in single filling, considering you cant fill till the top and i usually tank up before the warning comes on.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 27th April 2012 at 15:22.
Rahulkool is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:29   #303
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Oil filter is 70 rs.

@Aditya the FE i have got is around 48-52 in the running in period, while keeping the revs really low ie less than 3-4k. After running in i am getting around 40-45 with shifting around 5.5-6k. if you really psuh is till limiter, shifting at 8-10k then FE is 30-34.

Small tank is irritating bit, it doesnt take any more than 6-7 ltrs in single filling, considering you cant fill till the top and i usually tank up before the warning comes on.
Good to see everyone reporting near about the same figures mileage-wise.

You are right about the tank. Its small size is serious gripe for all except the total city user/commuter types.

Bajaj and KTM should seriously look at a 16 liter option a la their Pulsars.

That way, leaving 1 liter as unuseable, the tank range of 15 liters x 30 kmpl should give a very decent minimum tank range of 450 + kms.

This means you can ride from Pune to Bangalore with just one refuel break.

You can do Delhi to Mumbai with just two.

Or Mumbai to Chennai or Chennai to Kolkata or Kolkata to Delhi with just three.

Plus you can do Manali to Leh without refueling!

Right now the Fuel Low comes on with just 250+ kms on the clock. You can just about do a Pune - Kolhapur run at a stretch before having to stop, which is a serious bummer if you're touring long distances on a multi-day ride.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th April 2012 at 16:31.
Old 29th April 2012, 14:10   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am surprised at these comments. Do you guys consider the Duke to be an upgrade over the CBR?
KTM 200 an upgrade over CBR 250R? No Sir, I think you got me wrong
Old 30th April 2012, 10:11   #305
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th April 2012 at 19:05.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:41   #306
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while returning to Pune from my Sunday morning ride to Amby Valley and back, I tried to stretch my tank to Pune as there was no premium fuel on the way.

So with slow and gradual acceleration, not downshifting lower than 5th (only sometimes 4th) when necessary, short shifting upwards instead of revving out in each gear, and minimal braking, got the following mileage and speed vs rpm figures:

6000 rpm - 80 kmph - 2.2 L/100 km - 45.5 kmpl - 410 km estimated tank range

6750 rpm - 90 kmph - 2.3 L/100 km - 43.5 kmpl - 390km estimated tank range

Will try the same for 100 and then 110 kmph cruising as well.

What I did notice is that 80 kmph seems to be the comfortable "neutral" cruising speed for traffic on our roads.

You are catching all the correct openings without unnecessary braking or acceleration, you are faster than most of the traffic, and are only being overtaken by cars.

90 kmph is not as smooth. 100 kmph and above will be even les so.

Makes one wonder why with faster bikes and cars, and better roads (this was the 2 lane old Pune-Mumbai stretch of NH4), our average traffic speed is still so low.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 19:59   #307
BHPian

Quote:
6000 rpm - 80 kmph - 2.2 L/100 km - 45.5 kmpl - 410 km estimated tank range

6750 rpm - 90 kmph - 2.3 L/100 km - 43.5 kmpl - 390km estimated tank range

Will try the same for 100 and then 110 kmph cruising as well.

What I did notice is that 80 kmph seems to be the comfortable "neutral" cruising speed for traffic on our roads.
Wonderful, I was doing a Delhi - Chandigarh Ride today, Riding Mostly around 95kmph, apart from a 2-3 bursts to avoid, local bikers, chasing us, Did 95+ kmph easily, FE achieved was around 290kms in the entire tank, Easily.

If riding goes around 7K RPM expected FE would turnout to be 39kmpl,i.e 360kms, Riding below it needs patience for 250kms at a strecth.

Plus the Seat is not so very comfy for long rides.

Right Now working on two things, to change the Leg Guard to Some good Frame slider's

and second most important The Thermostat. kicks in at 96'c Which is too much.

Does anyone have the Entire Manual for Duke 200??
contact.nitin7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:43   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contact.nitin7 View Post
Wonderful, I was doing a Delhi - Chandigarh Ride today, Riding Mostly around 95kmph, apart from a 2-3 bursts to avoid, local bikers, chasing us, Did 95+ kmph easily, FE achieved was around 290kms in the entire tank, Easily.
Yeah, I have encountered those as well on NH1 - a very enthusiastic sardar with kurta, pajama, and beard flowing in the wind, on a pimped out Avenger against my Std 500 - he was really dogged, and would come screaming from behind at every traffic slow down

What mileage figure was your display showing at a constant 95? What rpm?

When you say "entire tank" doing 290 kms, do you mean tankful to well into the "low fuel" warning zone, or tankful to when you first get the Low Fuel warning?

In my normal riding mode, I get the Low Fuel warning at around 260 odd kms only.

And Delhi-Chandigarh is around 250 odd kms only right?

Quote:
If riding goes around 7K RPM expected FE would turnout to be 39kmpl,i.e 360kms, Riding below it needs patience for 250kms at a strecth.
So you are assuming around 9 liters as your "usable" tank range. That means you've gone well into the Low Fuel warning - which i guess comes on when you have around 2.5 liters still in the tank - i.e. at around 8 liters used from tankful.

I wish there was the option of a larger tank .....

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd May 2012 at 11:48.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:22   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I have encountered those as well on NH1 - a very enthusiastic sardar with kurta, pajama, and beard flowing in the wind, on a pimped out Avenger against my Std 500 - he was really dogged, and would come screaming from behind at every traffic slow down

What mileage figure was your display showing at a constant 95? What rpm?

When you say "entire tank" doing 290 kms, do you mean tankful to well into the "low fuel" warning zone, or tankful to when you first get the Low Fuel warning?

In my normal riding mode, I get the Low Fuel warning at around 260 odd kms only.

And Delhi-Chandigarh is around 250 odd kms only right?

So you are assuming around 9 liters as your "usable" tank range. That means you've gone well into the Low Fuel warning - which i guess comes on when you have around 2.5 liters still in the tank - i.e. at around 8 liters used from tankful.

I wish there was the option of a larger tank .....
ebonho: I am talking about the Low Fuel Warning that comes up, after that F Trip did another 68kms

Bigger tank - Absolutely, I am wanting to write something to the KTM Guys, as there is definitely a need to get the Thermostat Right, 96'C is way too much, If they'll Listen, Good, otherwise I have a ZX12R which has already done this MOD, will imply the same and will by pass the stock thermostat in my Duke.
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:30   #310
Senior - BHPian

You want the fan to come on earlier you mean?

I wouldn't fiddle with something as delicate as engine cooling man.

I will get concerned only if the temperature blocks reach the cut-off - till date there have always been at least two blocks remaining for that even in the middle of a hot April afternoon.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:25   #311
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^^Our friend Nitin has penchant for modification, his last long term steed was a Discovery 125 and this guy almost spent money equal to the cost of bike itself on getting a better lighting system, read HID and all. Though he never succeeded is a different story.

@ Nitin: Are you talking about Arjun's Ninja? You also mentioned that seat was not really comfortable for long riding, are you planning any mod to take care of this?
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:01   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contact.nitin7 View Post
ebonho: I am talking about the Low Fuel Warning that comes up
If you did 290 kms before the low fuel warning (approximately 8 liters from tankful), you got around 36 kmpl or around 2.8 Liters/100 km - which is exactly what my display also shows riding normally on the highway.

Quote:
after that F Trip did another 68kms
Did it actually do that or did it show that figure as Distance to Empty?

In my experience, it shows around 66-68 kms as Distance to Empty when the last two bars are left (after the Low Fuel cut-off).

It stays at 66 km for quite some while.

Then suddenly one bar is left and it drops to 44 km.

Sometimes it drops further to 25 kms (if you are riding with a heavy hand).

Or otherwise it drops suddenly and directly to 0 km (straight from 44 or 25).

Either way I don't think I have ever pulled the bike more than 25-30 kms from the Low Fuel warning.

Which is why I was interested in knowing whether you actually pulled 68 kms post the warning or was it just the Distance to Empty display?

What speeds were you doing post the warning?

Sorry for all the questions. Its rare to find someone who notices these things - so am milking you for info to add to waht I have noticed myself.
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:25   #313
BHPian

Ebono,

I have done close to 60kms (clocked on Trip F mode) the first time I took it out on the highway.

Wasn't the intention though, was looking for a trustworthy pump that sold premium fuel.
Gave up when the Trip F hit 60km and my Distance to Empty was 0, filled normal petrol.
NikhilB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:58   #314
BHPian

To add to all this FE discussion let me add my figures too:

1. During my run-in period, in city rides i have got 33.5 kpl (full tank to ful tank refill) and 35-36 kpl on highway touring (about 680 km in total) with 120 km of jungle roads/offroads. On the same tour, during one section between 2 fuel stops I observed economy of 46 kpl (I was doing 80 kph non stop, no halts or slow downs), which I think is too high and can only be achieved on long hauls over the NH-4 / NH-7 or the NH-8

2. After the first service, I started enjoying the throttle too much . 2 Full tank refills at 25 kpl and 22.5 kpl consecutive, after that I decided to test another tank at a relaxed throttle, but got just 31kpl. Probably because most of my running happens during office runs, which is just 4.8 km, and when the engine is cold, FE numbers really drop down.

Another thing I noticed is (with tank to tank measurements), constant 80 kph rides give better FE than constant 60kph riding! Is it possible to find out at what rpm the Duke engine returns the best bsfc numbers?
Dragonheart22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:12   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
^^Our friend Nitin has penchant for modification, his last long term steed was a Discovery 125 and this guy almost spent money equal to the cost of bike itself on getting a better lighting system, read HID and all. Though he never succeeded is a different story.

@ Nitin: Are you talking about Arjun's Ninja? You also mentioned that seat was not really comfortable for long riding, are you planning any mod to take care of this?
@BB- Absolutely, I am talking about the same 12R, have discussed a lot of technicalities with someone of that level, which I don't find anyone else here in Delhi, Anyways, that's a Diff game.

Regarding the HID, the Setup no Discover was Rock SOLID, what if I blew the local one off two times, but I learnt things, after that My ZMA, and Pulsar are still having ample.

Seating, there has to be something done with that too, its really not that comfortable if you are wanting to ride continuously for around a 100kms.

Quote:
1) If you did 290 kms before the low fuel warning (approximately 8 liters from tankful), you got around 36 kmpl or around 2.8 Liters/100 km - which is exactly what my display also shows riding normally on the highway.

2) Did it actually do that or did it show that figure as Distance to Empty?

In my experience, it shows around 66-68 kms as Distance to Empty when the last two bars are left (after the Low Fuel cut-off).

It stays at 66 km for quite some while.

Then suddenly one bar is left and it drops to 44 km.

Sometimes it drops further to 25 kms (if you are riding with a heavy hand).

Or otherwise it drops suddenly and directly to 0 km (straight from 44 or 25).

Either way I don't think I have ever pulled the bike more than 25-30 kms from the Low Fuel warning.

Which is why I was interested in knowing whether you actually pulled 68 kms post the warning or was it just the Distance to Empty display?

What speeds were you doing post the warning?

Sorry for all the questions. Its rare to find someone who notices these things - so am milking you for info to add to waht I have noticed myself.
I pulled it in F trip to 68.0, riding in city traffic :P, it showed O Km to empty, i rode to the nearest fuel station to get Rs100, in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
Ebono,

I have done close to 60kms (clocked on Trip F mode) the first time I took it out on the highway.

Wasn't the intention though, was looking for a trustworthy pump that sold premium fuel.
Gave up when the Trip F hit 60km and my Distance to Empty was 0, filled normal petrol.
Precisely.
contact.nitin7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks