Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 18:39   #241
KK9

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

A big thanks to Dr Vistasp Sethna and this thread as thats the reason I got the DUKE instead of the R15 and dont regret it one bit!!!!...Just got my Duke 2 days ago and am loving it!!!! One basic mod that I have done is to put a small lid with a tie on the black coolant lid as am afraid that some smart alec may open the lid and do some mischief so its just a basic mod to ensure that no one tries any stunts though in all fairness it is fairly easy to slide the lid open but just a basic deterrent. Also find that it is easier to come to neutral when you are downshifting during signals etc than it is when you are moving up from 1st gear. Apart from that just getting used to the big guy and more observations later. One thing I need help on is where can we get a motorcycle disc lock in Mumbai so I can secure the DUKE. Any assistance on this will be appreciated. Also excited about the powerparts esp one part where you can yank a small bag with KTM branding on the rear seat that could hld your mobile, wallet, keys etc and is great for daily commuting without carring stuff in your pockets or bags etc..Lets hope we get it to India soon.
Another tip I got from the Works manager at the Yamaha Factory Shop, malad, mumbai was to run in the bike carefully until 4K kms as that would ensure the engined beds in well and then you can r ip the bike till kingdom come!!!1 I tried it on my R15 and swear by it. Even when I tested the V2 I could notice a discernible smoothness in the second test drive bike as compared to the first and attritbute that to the running-in. But this is debatable and dont want to ignite a debate here!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-ktm_lid.jpg  

KK9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 19:28   #242
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
Hi, my duke is a month old and has about 1300kms on the odo. I noticed this issue after tanking up 2 days back. The fuel indicator went down (not even a single bar showed up) and the DTE also showed 0kms. I turned off and turned on the ignition couple of times, only to be facing the same issue. But after riding for about a km, the fuel indicator started rising, with each bar coming up one by one slowly and before i had ridden 2 kms from the fuel stn, it showed full!!! I havent spoken about this to the srv stn guys. Did anyone face such an issue, please do share.

Note: I filled up when my tank was almost empty, last bar left with DTE showing 20kms at 36kmpl or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Had the same issue with mine after my 2nd fill up (am still running on that 2nd tank full)... It started out with no bars lighting up and it took the gauge about a km to indicate full. While I was initially concerned, I did not worry about it too much after it corrected but will definitely bring up this issue when the bike goes in for 1st service next week.
The bike does that. Once you start riding, after some distance the display comes back.

On a ride back from Lonavala, looking for premium fuel, I stretched too far, and the display for "run to dry" (the petrol pump sign at the bottom with the number next to it) suddenly came to ZERO! It caught me by surprise as one moment it was showing around 20 or 15 or something and the next moment zero.

I still managed to turn around and go back another 7-8 kms to the previous fuel pump and fill normal unleaded and then head back to Lonavala for the premium stuff.

I am thinking of the option of keeping an Octane Booster (STP or something) bottle under the pillion seat for precisely this issue. Waiting for some confirmation from the R&D boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind splitter View Post
I have covered about 560KM's on my Duke, is it recommended to go for oil and oil filter change or is it OK to wait until first service to get the oil change done.
Why not - can't hurt if you don't mind the extra cost. Not recommended as such in the manual though - but can't think of any way it can hurt. It can only help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK9 View Post
A big thanks to Dr Vistasp Sethna and this thread as thats the reason I got the DUKE instead of the R15 and dont regret it one bit!!!!...Just got my Duke 2 days ago and am loving it!!!! One basic mod that I have done is to put a small lid with a tie on the black coolant lid as am afraid that some smart alec may open the lid and do some mischief so its just a basic mod to ensure that no one tries any stunts though in all fairness it is fairly easy to slide the lid open but just a basic deterrent. Also find that it is easier to come to neutral when you are downshifting during signals etc than it is when you are moving up from 1st gear. Apart from that just getting used to the big guy and more observations later. One thing I need help on is where can we get a motorcycle disc lock in Mumbai so I can secure the DUKE. Any assistance on this will be appreciated. Also excited about the powerparts esp one part where you can yank a small bag with KTM branding on the rear seat that could hld your mobile, wallet, keys etc and is great for daily commuting without carring stuff in your pockets or bags etc..Lets hope we get it to India soon.
Another tip I got from the Works manager at the Yamaha Factory Shop, malad, mumbai was to run in the bike carefully until 4K kms as that would ensure the engined beds in well and then you can r ip the bike till kingdom come!!!1 I tried it on my R15 and swear by it. Even when I tested the V2 I could notice a discernible smoothness in the second test drive bike as compared to the first and attritbute that to the running-in. But this is debatable and dont want to ignite a debate here!!!!!
Thanks bro and Congrats!

The cap for the coolant does not look very secure man. What is that zip tie going to do? My 5 year old daughter can rip it off (and probably will as it would look "interesting"! )

Plus I haven't checked, but the original cap must surely have a breather. Does your contraption have it?

4K kms for modern motors sounds like overkill and too much babying frankly. Company's normally err on the side of safety - so if they recommend 1000 kms the actual safe bedding in would probably be something like 200! The rings set instantaneously (probably from the shop floor itself). The engine shouldn't need a lot more. Mainly cams and big end.

Speaking of big end - this bike has a two piece big end which is bolted on like in cars! Nice!!!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 10:37   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Speaking of big end - this bike has a two piece big end which is bolted on like in cars! Nice!!!
Thats news for me, and an interesting one at that. Thanks for sharing
Old 6th April 2012, 15:53   #244
Senior - BHPian

Have people with the first delivery lot bikes (around 25th Feb) found any discrepancies in the Owner's Manual?

Mine has a typo in the section for setting RPM1 and RPM2. For both its mentioned press Mode (or Set - can't recall now) for 5-10 seconds - whereas for one it should be Mode and for the other it should be Set.

Similarly, apparently there is a discrepancy about the Tyre Pressure values - which differ from that shown on the swingarm sticker. The sticker is correct.

There is also some error in the section about setting the Time per someone else I spoke to (have not checked).

Any others found by you guys?

The guys at Bajaj are collating these and will be incorporating them in the revised version of the manual soon.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th April 2012 at 15:54.
Old 6th April 2012, 19:13   #245
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

What part are you talking about here ?

Quote:
Have people with the first delivery lot bikes (around 25th Feb) found any discrepancies in the Owner's Manual?

Mine has a typo in the section for setting RPM1 and RPM2. For both its mentioned press Mode (or Set - can't recall now) for 5-10 seconds - whereas for one it should be Mode and for the other it should be Set.

Similarly, apparently there is a discrepancy about the Tyre Pressure values - which differ from that shown on the swingarm sticker. The sticker is correct.

There is also some error in the section about setting the Time per someone else I spoke to (have not checked).

The guys at Bajaj are collating these and will be incorporating them in the revised version of the manual soon.
Yes, that one i noticed, i tried changing the RPM2 and that how i ended up resetting the service timer. If you keep the mode button pressed for more than 15secs then you kms to service times will be reset to next duration that is 5000kms. Please be careful. After that i have not changed the RPM1 and RPM2 :( .

Last edited by Rahulkool : 6th April 2012 at 19:14.
Old 6th April 2012, 19:39   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The tire pressure error in the manual has been acknowledged by a BAL/KTM person on Facebook and has recommended to follow the values on the swing arm.

One of our fellow Duke'r found another interesting thing.. he was checking the tool box - used the allan key to tighten the tank cap bolts and found almost 3 or 4 of them just turning away to glory - not tightening, not loosening - but going round and round. Anybody else tried this? I got to know of this after I left home in my car (cause of possible rain in Bangalore)

Last edited by Shubz : 6th April 2012 at 19:54.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 19:55   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
What part are you talking about here ?
I'm talking of the big end of the connecting rod at the crank end man.

This configuration is commonly called "fracture-split connecting rods" and is a technology normally reserved for much more expensive high performance machines (most of the SBKs have it) with high pressure forged con rods.

It ensures much more precision and "roundness" of the mating surface than machined con rods and can thus much better tolerate high stress high rpm running over much longer periods.

Rods with cracked or "fracture-split" big ends are common on modern engines. The fracturing creates a unique interface that "locks" together only one way and does so very precisely. The more accurate interface ensures a uniform big end diameter and shape.

*- Camaro LS3

Another intersting feature on our Dukes is the pretty hi end nifty Balancer Shaft that's working to reduce the vibes to almost nil every time our bikes hit 10+ k rpms. Again not something seen on most of our bikes in this price bracket, though I'm willing to be corrected on this if wrong.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th April 2012 at 19:58.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 11:21   #248
Senior - BHPian

Pune Duke owners, there is an interactive customer program organised by Bajaj at the ProBiking showroom near Ruby Hall today at 4:00 pm.

Bajaj has phoned and invited most personally, but this message is for those who may not be aware just in case.

See you at 4:00
Old 7th April 2012, 20:48   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pune Duke owners, there is an interactive customer program organised by Bajaj at the ProBiking showroom near Ruby Hall today at 4:00 pm.

Bajaj has phoned and invited most personally, but this message is for those who may not be aware just in case.

See you at 4:00

Any updates from the event ? .Are they planning to do this in other cities as well?
Old 7th April 2012, 20:53   #250
BHPian

Quote:

Yup I have found the Rpm1 and Rpm2 setting error as well! The tire pressure mentioned on the manual is different from the one on the sticker! I read somewhere that the one on the sticker is the correct pressure!
Old 9th April 2012, 09:50   #251
BHPian

@ebonho: Eagerly waiting for the updates from the meeting. Will there be any such event happening any time down south??
Old 9th April 2012, 11:37   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK9 View Post
One thing I need help on is where can we get a motorcycle disc lock in Mumbai so I can secure the DUKE. Any assistance on this will be appreciated.
You can buy a Disc Lock with an inbuilt alarm from eBay India. Here are a couple of links:

KABRUS - UK's Leading Alarm Motorcycle Disc Lock for BAJAJ YAMAHA TVS HONDA LML | eBay

Product Information - Alarm Disc Lock,Alarm Disc Padlock,Motorcycle Alarm Disc Lock,Security Alarm Disc Lock,bicycle Disc Lock Alarm,Garden Lock Suppliers and Exporters

One of the Duke owners in Blore has bought this product and is awaiting delivery of the same. Will ask him for his opinion and feedback and post the same here.

Alternatively you can also consider Xena Disc Locks which are very similar. I have the XX-6 model for my ninja.

Here is the link: XENA Security Disc-Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters

Xena is not available in India though.

Quote:
I am thinking of the option of keeping an Octane Booster (STP or something) bottle under the pillion seat for precisely this issue. Waiting for some confirmation from the R&D boys.
You might want to take a look at this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ally-work.html (Fuel additives and octane boosters....do they really work?)

Octane boosters and injector cleaners are generally not recommended since they cause more harm than good. But this is a debatable topic.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th April 2012 at 11:38.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 12:01   #253
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aditya. That settles it. Will stay away.

As far as possible, will fill premium fuel where available.

Where not available, will just full normal fuel, but try to ensure its from a big highway pump and not from the smallish ones.

For unknown pumps, on tour, that's all one can realistically do to ensure that good fuel is going into your bike.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:10   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho
Thanks Aditya. That settles it. Will stay away.

As far as possible, will fill premium fuel where available.

Where not available, will just full normal fuel, but try to ensure its from a big highway pump and not from the smallish ones.

For unknown pumps, on tour, that's all one can realistically do to ensure that good fuel is going into your bike.
Is mixing of premium fuel with normal fuel a good thing? I think not. Kindly let me know if it's ok. Thanks!
Old 9th April 2012, 12:17   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Is mixing of premium fuel with normal fuel a good thing? I think not. Kindly let me know if it's ok. Thanks!
Doesn't cause any harm if that's what you're asking.

All gasoline fuels sold in India are 91 octane. Premium fuels are also 91 octane but contain additives (unless octane ratings are specified as 93 or 97).

That said, if the manual states a minimum of 91 octane, then regular unleaded fuel will do just fine as long as its filled from a reputed and reliable bunk. Adulteration is minimal on premium fuels so it makes sense to go with premiums if the reputation of the bunk is dicey.

I've filled regular and premium fuels on various occasions in my ninja and i did not notice any drop in performance.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks