Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 14:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: RTR 160 vs RTR 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
My key thing is safety, ride comfort. Please throw your comments on the pros and cons.
You have chosen 3 bikes from different segments. Each one is good in its own right.

P135 is light and fun bike for the city traffic. Assuming cheap spares being a Bajaj, it should be easy to maintain on the pocket as well. Not sure of its behavior at speeds. Slightly sporty seating posture

Dazzler (god, what a name!) looks quirky, same old unicorn mill with a different state of tune, not very fuel efficient going by reports (compared to old unicorn), relaxed seating (more commuterish), good handling and steady at speeds up to 90kmph (have not tried beyond this).

RTR180 ABS is top of the line when it comes to safety, unlimited fun on a small capacity motorcycle, nimble, handles great, rock steady at speeds.

Coming to the seating posture, it depends on your height and build, your preference for seating etc. In my case, I was using the RTR160 for about a year and half. Thinking that relaxed seating will be good, I went for FZ16. It is a good bike in its own right but i was always struggling to get a good seating position. Switched to RTR180 and have felt totally comfortable on it.

Have toured on RTR160 for 200 kms one way and on the RTR180 for 250kms one way. The same distances were done on the FZ16 too. There is not much of a difference in the comfort over extended periods of time on the saddle b/w the FZ and RTR. In fact, i needed more butt breaks on the FZ compared to RTR160/180.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. Try to test ride your shortlist extensively. If you are not getting extensive test ride, borrow a friends ride and ride for at least 20kms in the conditions that you will be using the bike the most. Then you can easily decide what you want!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 20th December 2011 at 14:26.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 16:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Hi,

I am also planning for a new bike, have short listed the following
1. Apache 180 ABS
2. Unicorn Dazzler
3. Pulsar 135

I am very much inclined towards the Apache because of the ABS feature. But many people say that the maintenance cost is high and all the plastic parts starts vibrating after 2 years. Since the handle bar is very low is there any back pain issue.

My key thing is safety, ride comfort. Please throw your comments on the pros and cons.

All the 3 bikes u mentioned are of different class and characteristics. Though all 3 are great looking bikes. But there are a lot of options available today for choice.

If mainly u are looking for ride comfort then take a test ride of the Unicorn (not the dazzler).

The Apache is meant for out and out fun so its inclined more towards sports features. Dazzler is good with rear disc option too but dosent fit properly under sports or commuter segments both. And Pulsar 135 is only to be considered if u want to save initial cost of purchase, the bike isn't as refined.

Try cnsidering these bikes too,

In terms of handling Unicorn original version is great, the suzuki GS 150 is also good (test ride it to know how good it is) and the best of the best handler is the Karizma. (Do give a thought to karizma too, since you mentioned apache 180's price category).

At the end of the day, i would test ride all the bikes first and then decide which bike communicated with me well.
Old 20th December 2011, 16:15   #18
BHPian

Wow i saw the last poster above my post after i posted my thoughts . Almost all the rational thinking's match.. Cheers
Old 20th December 2011, 16:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
You have chosen 3 bikes from different segments. Each one is good in its own right.

RTR180 ABS is top of the line when it comes to safety, unlimited fun on a small capacity motorcycle, nimble, handles great, rock steady at speeds.

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. Try to test ride your shortlist extensively. If you are not getting extensive test ride, borrow a friends ride and ride for at least 20kms in the conditions that you will be using the bike the most. Then you can easily decide what you want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
All the 3 bikes u mentioned are of different class and characteristics. Though all 3 are great looking bikes. But there are a lot of options available today for choice.

The Apache is meant for out and out fun so its inclined more towards sports features. Dazzler is good with rear disc option too but dosent fit properly under sports or commuter segments both. And Pulsar 135 is only to be considered if u want to save initial cost of purchase, the bike isn't as refined.
Guys, I was thinking of getting the Apache 180 but dropped it coz I have 'heard' that it ages fast, has quality issues and parts are costly.

Can you guys confirm these and also comment how much of a beating it can take? I dont like stopping for small potholes/humps etc and my Avenger did a good job at these and have never given me issues. Would Apache do the same?

If not, think I will save and get bigger ones
Old 20th December 2011, 16:54   #20
BHPian

Thanks for your valuable input. So I see most of the bikes are reliable, might be Honda's are much reliable. In that case I would test drive these and decide. If I am comfortable with the seating position of the Apache, then I would pick it.

Quote:

P135 is light and fun bike for the city traffic. Assuming cheap spares being a Bajaj, it should be easy to maintain on the pocket as well. Not sure of its behavior at speeds. Slightly sporty seating posture

Dazzler (god, what a name!) looks quirky, same old unicorn mill with a different state of tune, not very fuel efficient going by reports (compared to old unicorn), relaxed seating (more commuterish), good handling and steady at speeds up to 90kmph (have not tried beyond this).

Coming to the seating posture, it depends on your height and build, your preference for seating etc. In my case, I was using the RTR160 for about a year and half. Thinking that relaxed seating will be good, I went for FZ16. It is a good bike in its own right but i was always struggling to get a good seating position. Switched to RTR180 and have felt totally comfortable on it.

Have toured on RTR160 for 200 kms one way and on the RTR180 for 250kms one way. The same distances were done on the FZ16 too. There is not much of a difference in the comfort over extended periods of time on the saddle b/w the FZ and RTR. In fact, i needed more butt breaks on the FZ compared to RTR160/180.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post

If mainly u are looking for ride comfort then take a test ride of the Unicorn (not the dazzler).

Try cnsidering these bikes too,

In terms of handling Unicorn original version is great, the suzuki GS 150 is also good (test ride it to know how good it is) and the best of the best handler is the Karizma. (Do give a thought to karizma too, since you mentioned apache 180's price category).

At the end of the day, i would test ride all the bikes first and then decide which bike communicated with me well.
Old 20th December 2011, 20:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Guys, I was thinking of getting the Apache 180 but dropped it coz I have 'heard' that it ages fast, has quality issues and parts are costly.

Can you guys confirm these and also comment how much of a beating it can take? I dont like stopping for small potholes/humps etc and my Avenger did a good job at these and have never given me issues. Would Apache do the same?

If not, think I will save and get bigger ones
Ages fast? Didn't get it, seriously. Are you talking about the looks?

Parts are costly? Check it for yourself here. It's a spreadsheet prepared by RTR180 owners on Xbhp. We have listed almost every part that's working for the RTR with its price. I hope you find the rates to be normal and not pricey.

Quality issues? Let me guess, it's vibrations! There are no other issues other than this. My bike is almost 3 years old, completed 25k km successfully and ask me which terrain I didn't ride it through. I had the same apprehensions before and after buying the bike, that it'd a costly affair to maintain this TVS. But it turned the other way round. People/cynics say this bike will fall apart after 2 years of riding. Mine is still working fine, may be I am a lucky one. Lets see if in the 3rd or 4th year it falls apart.

About the beating, I love to answer this part. My bike's tacho-needle meets the red-line almost on every commute. So, I think it can take the beating.

The suspension is super-stiff though. Compared to Pulsars/Avengers it's very stiffly sprung. Speed-humps, potholes and every undulation is transferred immediately to your head through arms and spine. Very uncomfortable if you compare it with Avenger. I am too in the habit of not stopping for potholes/humps, so I stand on the pegs while encountering them, otherwise stiff suspension gets on my nerves, literally!

Last edited by Shivank : 20th December 2011 at 20:02.
Shivank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 20:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My RTR160 was bought pre owned. It was 2008 model which i bought in 2010 and used till mid 2011. Everything was as good as new including the plastics. Not a single sound extra from anywhere and no rattles/vibes. So you can compute it yourself. My current 180 is also good in this aspect. Have done close to 5k kms in 3 months and it is holding up well.

Coming to the flying over potholes, forget about doing it on the RTR brothers. The front suspension is stiff as hell that you can feel every undulation small and big on the road. Rear suspension is much better in this regard. This is one beating which the bike can probably take but the rider definitely cannot after sometime!!

The engine on the other hand can take any amount of beating and still not sound tractor like as the old gen pulsars or even the new gen ones for that matter. My 160 had 15k+ on the odo when i sold it (bought it at 3k only on the odo). The engine sounded sweet and felt it was on a song. Same is not true with a 9k done 10 month old P220 S of my colleague. It was already rattling and sounding like a truck!

EDIT: Forgot to mention about the oh! so notorious vibes on the bike. It was unbearable for the first 500kms rearing its ugly head even in the sub 4k RPM. Slowly it ironed out and became less obvious as the miles piled up. Now at 5k on the odo, the vibes are noticeable only in the 5k-6k RPM while accelerating and 6.5k-4k RPM while decelerating.

Lastly, if you can wait, save and go for one of the quarter liters or the Duke, do so by all means. You will not regret it.

Hope this helps!

EDIT2:
Quote:
Ages fast? Didn't get it, seriously. Are you talking about the looks?
@ Shivank, i guess he meant that it starts showing its age in terms of rattles, lose plastics and panels etc!!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 20th December 2011 at 20:34.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 10:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Parts are costly? Check it for yourself here. It's a spreadsheet prepared by RTR180 owners on Xbhp. We have listed almost every part that's working for the RTR with its price.
Quote:
My RTR160 was bought pre owned. It was 2008 model which i bought in 2010 and used till mid 2011. Everything was as good as new including the plastics. Not a single sound extra from anywhere and no rattles/vibes. So you can compute it yourself. My current 180 is also good in this aspect. Have done close to 5k kms in 3 months and it is holding up well.

Lastly, if you can wait, save and go for one of the quarter liters or the Duke, do so by all means. You will not regret it.

Hope this helps!

EDIT2:

@ Shivank, i guess he meant that it starts showing its age in terms of rattles, lose plastics and panels etc!!
Brilliant ! Thanks guys!

I wont do much odo and hence Apache came into picture. I think I ought to check this as it will be a more pocket friendly buy.
Old 24th December 2011, 21:23   #24
BHPian

Thank you for the suggestions guys!!
My friend booked his Apache RTR 180 ABS!!
OTR bangalore 93k!!

Cheers!!
Old 27th December 2011, 10:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Something I got from xBHP.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...NNVJKaEE#gid=0

I will check out RTR 180 this week hopefully. Will keep you all posted.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will check out RTR 180 this week hopefully. Will keep you all posted.
All the best!!! Do check out the RTR180 ABS as well if you find the chance. You might like it better than the std. RTR180!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
My friend booked his Apache RTR 180 ABS!! OTR bangalore 93k!!
Wow! That's a good move by your friend. Is it available off the shelf or is there a wait period currently?

Last edited by abhinav.s : 27th December 2011 at 21:49.
Old 28th December 2011, 07:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That's a good move by your friend. Is it available off the shelf or is there a wait period currently?
It seems the dealer only gets the Abs version after booking!! So yeah the waiting period quoted by the dealer was 1-3 weeks. But the bike is available now. He said its the 2012 version. So my friend will be taking delivery around 1st jan. But registrations only after 5th jan (because its 2012 model).
Old 28th December 2011, 09:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the best!!! Do check out the RTR180 ABS as well if you find the chance. You might like it better than the std. RTR180!

It will be the ABS one if I am getting Apache. It costs 87K OTR @ Trivandrum. Couldnt get a test ride so going back today ( test ride only on non-ABS version).
Old 28th December 2011, 09:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couldnt get a test ride so going back today
If most of your riding is going to be with a pillion, do take a friend along with you for the TD, so that you get a feel of the bike with & without pillion.

Also, one thing I'd observed when I'd TDed the Apache 160 was that the vibes were felt only when the bike was at a standstill - that is, by raising the throttle above 4 - 4.5k rpm in neutral. However, they were negligible when I crossed 4k rpm in gear, while actually driving the bike.

Just FYI, so that you don't find the vibes to be a deal breaker

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 28th December 2011, 10:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If most of your riding is going to be with a pillion, do take a friend along with you for the TD, so that you get a feel of the bike with & without pillion.

Also, one thing I'd observed when I'd TDed the Apache 160 was that the vibes were felt only when the bike was at a standstill - that is, by raising the throttle above 4 - 4.5k rpm in neutral. However, they were negligible when I crossed 4k rpm in gear, while actually driving the bike.

Just FYI, so that you don't find the vibes to be a deal breaker

Cheers,
Vikram
There wont be any pillion 98% of the time since I am married now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks