Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 10:45   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart22 View Post
Breaks only for Fuel?! How do you replenish, sugar/salt and water in the body? Camelback?
Well...I combine fuel breaks with water break; when I drink water, its nothing less than 1.5 litre combined with Electrol (sometimes), drink mostly Slice (sweet, sugar, energy). But I started following this only recently.

When I did Mumbai-Chennai Sep 2011, I almost didn't take Water, may be a liter or so; it was more of will power; during GQ ride, I forced myself to take water break every 200-250 Km when I refuel as I didn't want to take chances as I was riding for 3-4 days continuously doing 700+ km day on day.

To me, its more of mind over matter; if one had made up mind to ride, the distance doesn't matter

Last edited by aargee : 30th July 2012 at 10:47.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 12:15   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well...I combine fuel breaks with water break; when I drink water, its nothing less than 1.5 litre combined with Electrol (sometimes), drink mostly Slice (sweet, sugar, energy). But I started following this only recently.
================
To me, its more of mind over matter; if one had made up mind to ride, the distance doesn't matter
I will tell you, one of my mind over matter stories

In Dec 2010, I attended a friend's wedding in Nagpur. I work in Bangalore and my hometown is Mumbai. I rode from Bangalore to Mumbai on Day 1, stayed home a couple of days and then rode slowly to Nagpur over 2 days. Wedding celebrations went on till 11 PM in the night and I started early morning at 5 AM from Nagpur the next day. I had hardly 3.5 hours of good sleep that night.

The ride out of Nagpur was pleasantly cool... Then I started passing through barren/townless stretches of Gadichiroli. I had a cutting Chai at one Town that I passed through at about 9 AM. As the sun rose, the shine back from the barren plains started to hurt the eye. It was about 11:30 now. I was about 100 km from Hyderabad. I could feel the fatigue, and the sun started hurting my eyes to the extent that they started watering. I put on the Oxydoes to cool down my eyes. The relief was so good.

I immediately started yawning hard. But I did not stop, keeping the to-be-had Biryani at Hyderabad in mind. I pass the bypass for Kamareddy town, then I overtake a TATA Truck from the right lane

[Blank Moments]

Suddenly I see myself leaning over with the bike, although the road is straight . The bike slams the road on the right side, the leg guard grating against the tarmac, I slide along for a good hundred metres [all of this lasts for less than 10 seconds]

I could feel some pain in my left leg. I look back for help if any vehicle is coming towards me, I see the TATA truck that I had just overtaken a second ago. I expect for him to stop and help, but he moves on [I don't blame him]. Then follows a rickshaw behind it. My right leg was trapped under the bike. I had a trekking bag (rucksack) hoisted on my back. So lifting myself up was difficult. Thankfully a fellow jumps out of the rickshaw, helps me up. I try to hoist myself up on both the legs, but horrifically the left leg gives away with shuddering 'katt' sound! That is when I realise, the left one is broken. The owner of the TATA Ace into which I had rammed, comes running over to check on me. All the locals around help out. The guy from the Auto offers to drop my bike to RTO station down the road. They call in the Ambulance and the rest is a long and sad recovery story.

From post-analysis, this is what happened: My eyelids dropped shut, the moment I crossed that big TATA truck. Then I went on the rear end into the TATA Ace off-centred towards its rear-right. My left side of the handlebar, crash guard all ram into its rear, the guard bends, and impact gets transferred to my left tibia. I guess the relative speed must have been 50 - 60 kph. My left hand finger I cut and the tibia gets completely broken into 2 after I trying standing over it.

Lessons Learnt:
1. Always have a good night sleep before the ride next morning.

2. Always take breaks to stretch, rehydrate, rest your eyes atleast every 2 hours.

3. Do not try to make any records while riding. Ride within your limits. These are public roads and not a race track.

4. Keep your body fit enough to endure and face it, if you ever get into a mishap.

And I wasn't exactly a newbie to riding when this happened to me. I was just foolish to ignore the signals of my body.
I was accustomed to long stretches of riding without food, I had done Mum-Bangalore in 16-17 hours, 5 times over already in that year. My ride then was an RE TBTS, top speed 100-110 kph

All said and done, I haven't stopped Riding. I still do the stupid long rides. This month I again went home on the Duke, and it was an all nighter[1073 km, 17 hours in total, 4 PM to 9 AM]
But I would think twice before attempting a saddle-sore for sure [1600km in 24 hours]

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th August 2012 at 21:20. Reason: Excessive smilies, Please read the note in your post
Old 30th July 2012, 13:39   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will tell you, one of my mind over matter stories
You're not RG & you weren't riding CBR 250R + I'm not Dragonheart22 & not riding a bull; everyone is different & have different riding endurance.

I was talking more about passion & sounding positive to motivate when I meant "mind over matter"; you obviously don't not know how many short rides (or test for endurance rather) I did before doing Mumbai-Chennai in one go. Neither this one or any other fast ride of mine has been done for the sake of testing endurance, I ride ONLY what is COMFORTABLE with me. If I'm unable to ride, I don't ride. Period!!! There're rides that I've not participated even after excellent & sound sleeps as well as done some long distance rides with less slept. To me, its more of mental strength than physical. TO ME, its only FOR ME. Something that works for me, need not necessarily work for anyone. Passion, yes, WORKS for everyone & passion comes out of mind & beats everything else.

This is why I said...
Quote:
If I were to post the details, this thread will have the same fate of Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community
Quote:
2. Always take breaks to stretch, rehydrate, rest your eyes atleast every 2 hours
Agreed; but everyone has different level of endurance; there're Guru's in this forum, who can drive non stop for 2 days...atleast, they've gained that through experience. That's what I'm building, I haven't done it in a day either.

Quote:
3. Do not try to make any records while riding. Ride within your limits. These are public roads and not a race track
Please...tell me, you're adhering to 50 Kmph when you ride your motorcycle on a super smooth highway like Kishengarh to Jaipur

PS - Kindly read the posting etiquette's before posting for the limitation of 2 smileys per post unless like to hear from the mods

Last edited by aargee : 30th July 2012 at 13:47.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 13:57   #244
BHPian

Quote:
You're not RG & you weren't riding CBR 250R + I'm not Dragonheart22 & not riding a bull; everyone is different & have different riding endurance.

I was talking more about passion & sounding positive to motivate when I meant "mind over matter"; you obviously don't not know how many short rides (or test for endurance rather) I did before doing Mumbai-Chennai in one go. Neither this one or any other fast ride of mine has been done for the sake of testing endurance, I ride ONLY what is COMFORTABLE with me. If I'm unable to ride, I don't ride. Period!!! There're rides that I've not participated even after excellent & sound sleeps as well as done some long distance rides with less slept. To me, its more of mental strength than physical. TO ME, its only FOR ME. Something that works for me, need not necessarily work for anyone. Passion, yes, WORKS for everyone & passion comes out of mind & beats everything else.

This is why I said...

Agreed; but everyone has different level of endurance; there're Guru's in this forum, who can drive non stop for 2 days...atleast, they've gained that through experience. That's what I'm building, I haven't done it in a day either.

Please...tell me, you're adhering to 50 Kmph when you ride your motorcycle on a super smooth highway like Kishengarh to Jaipur

PS - Kindly read the posting etiquette's before posting for the limitation of 2 smileys per post unless like to hear from the mods
You took it all wrong. I was sharing MY experience of pushing MYSELF to the limits. Those (lessons learnt) weren't addressed to you or anyone in particular. Probably sharing it here in YOUR thread may have been a mistake, but then it was quite a spontaneous reaction to your idea that 'To me, its more of mind over matter; if one had made up mind to ride, the distance doesn't matter'.
I know there are people with more than average strengths on this forum, but your motivating write-up could mislead a novice rider, when you say 'Its not humble...its a fact; anyone with average riding skills & determination can certainly do it. Its a fact!!!'

I thought of sharing my story, to show the other side of LD riding. Sorry if you think that hijacked your thread!
Dragonheart22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:27   #245
Senior - BHPian

This one happened last weekend...

More to come though
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:10   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

More to come though
Awesome dude! Congratulations and wish you many more kilometers of happy riding.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:49   #247
BHPian

Quote:

More to come though
Where is the pic of your bike's warranty getting lapsed? By the way, do also let me know how's you new tyres faring.
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:18   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Awesome dude! Congratulations and wish you many more kilometers of happy riding.
Thanks Naveen Wish you the same; Happy Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Where is the pic of your bike's warranty getting lapsed?
Lol...will post it soon; let us not get the steam let away soon

Quote:
By the way, do also let me know how's you new tyres faring.
Front is excellent; I tested on wet & watery roads & they did the job. But one thing to point out is, I wasn't riding like how I used to about 2-3 months ago because of the incident. So, I was doing cautious ride, yet once or twice, I'd to brake hard & the front tire did good job; once on wet & other on dry. I once felt the rear tire skid; skid as in on side ways, but like strong brake & the wheel stopped. Hope you understand. BTW, both are MRF, I'm sure you know that.
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:15   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Lol...will post it soon; let us not get the steam let away soon
Lol. Sure.

Quote:
Front is excellent; I tested on wet & watery roads & they did the job. But one thing to point out is, I wasn't riding like how I used to about 2-3 months ago because of the incident. So, I was doing cautious ride, yet once or twice, I'd to brake hard & the front tire did good job; once on wet & other on dry. I once felt the rear tire skid; skid as in on side ways, but like strong brake & the wheel stopped. Hope you understand. BTW, both are MRF, I'm sure you know that.
So, it makes better sense for me to get one of those MRFs when I need, rather than stock a 2010 made PSD now, eh?
Yes I understand the skid you're saying.
I love it when it happens on the floorings in mall entrances.

OT: Is Kolkata-Allahabad-Kolkata doable under 24 hours? You may choose to respond in a PM instead.
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:49   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Is Kolkata-Allahabad-Kolkata doable under 24 hours? You may choose to respond in a PM instead.
Kolkatta-Allahabad? Well let me see...just about 800 Km & all part of GQ; sounds like a piece of cake to me.

Remember to refuel at Varanasi otherwise you'll get stranded in the Allahabad bye-pass...if you're taking it.

Start by 4:00 AM & you can do it under 12 hours very easily with breaks.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 19:39   #251
BHPian

Nice thread RG! Great read for your candid review and your exploits on the bike so far. My elder brother recently bought a CBR250R much to the shock of our family -- since he's 40yrs old, everyone was hoping he would buy a car! And as if that wasn't enough, he chose to go for the multi-paint scheme which hasn't gone down too well with the family either. But he seems to be happy with it and loves driving down from his workplace in Thekady to our home in Cochin whenever he can. Since he's not a member yet, sharing his photo below.

Honda CBR 250R Review-scr000015.jpg

Last edited by MudMover : 27th August 2012 at 19:41.
MudMover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 20:20   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Nice thread RG!...yet, sharing his photo below
What a great coincidence? My friend, who's also in 40's, took a Pear Heron Blue from EVM, Muvattupuzha this morning & rode to Trivandrum.

BTW, pass my good wishes for happy riding to him & gift him a knee guard if possible

Last edited by aargee : 27th August 2012 at 20:27.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:18   #253
BHPian

Quote:
What a great coincidence? My friend, who's also in 40's, took a Pear Heron Blue from EVM, Muvattupuzha this morning & rode to Trivandrum.

BTW, pass my good wishes for happy riding to him & gift him a knee guard if possible
What a conscience , I am also 40 and had recently got myself Pear Heron Blue CBR250R ABS Version.
Old 28th August 2012, 17:48   #254
Senior - BHPian

kumar_ranjan Sir - Welcome to the club

Here's my friend taking the delivery yesterday; this great biker, took the delivery at EVM Honda, Muvattupuzha & rode all way to Trivandrum. First day first ride immediately after delivery - 250+ Kms

Honda CBR 250R Review-cbr1.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 28th August 2012 at 17:50.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:28   #255
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Err, why do you guys speak of 40 year olds as if they are jurrasic fossils?

40 is where and when the fun starts guys!

(yeah I'm 41 myself .... )
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks