Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2011, 15:54   #1
BHPian

FZ16 as first bike, in Bangalore?

Hi everyone,

I'm from the US, spent a year in Mumbai, and just moved to Bangalore, where I'll be for the next year.

I have a company car (a little Reva i) that I use to commute (~40 km/day).

I have no experience with motorcycles but have had a latent desire to ride one, so figured maybe I should give it a shot while in India (in the US, you pretty much only get >600 cc, so here I can experiment with a cheaper, smaller, lighter bike; prob a higher chance of getting into a bike accident here, but given road speeds, prob a lower chance of dying than in the US ).

Since I already have a car, this'd purely be to add some excitement. Still not certain this is a good idea-- if I leave from home and work early, I should have a straight shot, but otherwise I might get stuck in Bangalore's terrible traffic, which is probably much less fun / safe to navigate in a bike?

Thinking of the Yamaha FZ16 (admittedly mostly because it looks cool, but also the fat rear tire should provide better grip than the bicycle-like widths I see on most commuter bikes here?). Downsides I've read are uncomfortable pillion seat and not the best fuel efficiency, which aren't big concerns for me.

The Honda CBR250R looks to be solid too, but I'd assume there'd be a wait time, and the price seems to be over double the FZ's. I realize it's a different segment, and quite a bit more powerful, but I don't intend to drive terribly fast on these roads, so figured there's no point?

So couple q's:
  • Thoughts on the FZ16 for this purpose
  • Training - People laugh when I ask about 2W driving school here (how do people learn to ride safely?), so I'm thinking of taking the MSF course when I'm back home in the US for a bit next month
  • Used - it'd be nice to save some cash and depreciation by buying used, but I don't know any trusted mechanics here to inspect possibilities, so figured new's probably the way to go?
  • Resale - I'm in Bangalore for just a year, so resale is a concern-- what are decently easy avenues to sell this sort of bike?
  • Helmet/Riding Gear - I know this is a whole other topic, but my immediate Q is if there's any point in me getting stuff while I'm in the US (before I actually buy a bike)-- i.e. does anyone know if solid riding gear is easier to find / cheaper in the US?
Old 12th June 2011, 18:07   #2
BHPian

Re: FZ16 as first bike, in Bangalore?

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2011 at 10:24.
highwaypatrol is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th June 2011, 19:10   #3
BHPian

fz 16 would be a good beginner bike , yes pillion seat is not very comfortable and its mileage will be around 38-40 . you can also have a look at the rtr 180 abs version as abs will help beginners a lot on our roads . its more expensive than fz 16 .

riding gear is quite expensive here and good brands are not easily available . buy your gear like a helmet , jacket , boots atleast from usa to india .
Old 12th June 2011, 19:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey, how long have you been in B'lore? I ask to know if you're sure about getting a bike in B'lore. Traffic is crazy and 2-wheelers bear the brunt of Volvos, autos and cab drivers.

If you have thought this thru', then FZ16 is quite a good bike to have. Yes, you will have to learn how to drive in the US; in India, it is learnt on the road!

Don't worry about resale, the 2nd hand bike market in B'lore is very promising. About the helmets, there are good ones available here so unless you have ample luggage space, you can skip buying it in the US.
Old 12th June 2011, 19:32   #5
BHPian

I'm also in pretty much the same position as you.
I have my cars but want to get my first bike just for a bit of fun. We seem to have almost the same criteria so I hope I should be able to help you out.

First off, the FZ is a brilliant choice. I've test ridden all the bikes in the 150-220 cc range, and the FZ is undoubtably the easiest to ride, especially in the city.
Sure the Pulsar 220 has more power but its hard to control, and the R15 needs to be revved too much to get anything out of it, and again is hard to handle in tight spots (brilliant track bike from what I hear though).

The FZ has brilliant stability and is really easy to handle, and has loads of mid-range torque. It's considered to be the most fun bike in its segment. Doesn't have much high speed performance though, especially beyond 100 kmhr, not that you or I should try crossing those speeds as newbies.
I'll be going for the FZ-S which is the exact same bike as an FZ-16, but with cooler looking paint jobs and a very very tiny windshield.

Can't help you on new vs used, but if it helps I'm buying new since I don't know any good mechanics for bikes either.

As for gear, buy it all from the US. You get much better quality there, at much better prices, especially if you can pick up something on sale. I, myself was considering asking my sister to get me a helmet from the states, but scrapped the idea once I figured out id have issues with size. Id recommend you go for either Arai or Shoei Helmets, but just make sure it fits well.

As for schools, don't know any in Bangalore. In Mumbai we have 'good luck' that operates near police gymkhana at marine drive.
Ask around, I'm sure you'll find something.

Hope I was able to help
Old 12th June 2011, 20:01   #6
BHPian

First of all, Welcome to Bangalore.

There are 3 fairly good options for you as far as bike is concerned.
1. Yamaha FZ 2.Apache RTR 3. Pulsar 220

FZ and RTR have a very good customer feedback.

FZ is a very nice bikr for city commuting but mileage is a factor. But since you're ok with it, it should not be a concern. It has got the "looks" as far as bikes in India are concerned. driverace has recently bought FZ. You may want to check it out more with him

About 2W driving lessons, if you are familiar with the traffic rules in India, its good. You can practice in a playground/open area closer to where you stay(with a friend/neighbour guiding on signalling and other stuff and not on how to drive, if you thought so ). However, if you still want to learn from a school, almost all schools that provide 4W training provide 2W training(though mostly for women.For Men, they do it with "I cant believe you want a 2W training" grin)

Selling FZ is difficult as I have seen it from close quarters as
1. Mileage is low
2. Price expected by seller is high since its OTR is pretty high (about ~80k)

You can sell it off directly to a buyer rather than going through agents as you might get a price closer to your expectations.

Good Luck

Last edited by akhil_007 : 12th June 2011 at 20:07.
akhil_007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 11:06   #7
BHPian

Look at the TVS JIve it is a 110cc , with auto clutch. No head ache in traffic also easy to ride
Old 13th June 2011, 14:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
So couple q's:
Sure! have a look here (for what I felt after TDing good bikes in the zone):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...cycle-75k.html
  • Training - People laugh when I ask about 2W driving school here (how do people learn to ride safely?), so I'm thinking of taking the MSF course when I'm back home in the US for a bit next month
  • Used - it'd be nice to save some cash and depreciation by buying used, but I don't know any trusted mechanics here to inspect possibilities, so figured new's probably the way to go?
If Its Fz you are looking at, I would frankly suggest you get a new one. All the points you have mentioned are sure right from the practical POV, but then again - with this Yamaha - you connect!
  • Resale - I'm in Bangalore for just a year, so resale is a concern-- what are decently easy avenues to sell this sort of bike?
Frankly speaking - this should be a thought well thought about.
I am not sure about this part.
I never thought of parting with my first bike (I mean, the first 'I' have bought - I also thought of that when I was deciding which to buy!!)
But, then again, your requirement is very different.
So, please search around a bit more on this.
I am really running overdue to write a report for my Fz (Autobot ).
But, you can call me if you want to check out my Fz here.

another guy who has recently bought Fz is abhinav.s
So, you can have two fresh opinions.

And, yes, there are many more veterans on tbhp as well to get feed from.

I will give it an undoubted thumbs up!

thanks,

Ace.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
another guy who has recently bought Fz is abhinav.s
So, you can have two fresh opinions.
And my opinion comes right after yours here as well!! (remember the bike came nearly a month after yours )

The FZ16 is a very good beginners bike. In fact i feel its a nice bike even for people used to different kind of bikes. Easy to ride in traffic and it wont give you the shoulder aches which is very prominent in the RTR and P220 when you ride them in heavy traffic for a long duration. Decently flickable though the RTR take top spot here. The best thing about the FZ is its a very forgiving bike and you will reach your skill limit before the bike reaches its limit. I am taking mild corners faster than i could ever imagine taking them in the RTR160.

There are a few FZ16's put up for sale in the T-BHP classifieds. So you can look at them as an option. In fact since you plan to use it only for a year, you will be better off with a used FZ.

Resale of the FZ16 if sold to the 2nd hand dealers is very bad. You pay close to 80k on road for it when new and you can expect anywhere between 45-55k when selling it after a year based on the number of kms it has run and the condition of the bike. If this is not a concern then you can look at a new bike.

Gear is best bought from US if you are visiting.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 14th June 2011 at 20:28.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 23:36   #10
BHPian

Welcome to Bangalore.

# FZ is a fun bike though under powered.

# You can get some basic training (on track) from Indimotard or Apex racing. Hero Honda also runs safety riding classes.

# Resale - You can calculate an approx 10% depreciation in 1 yr. - so roughly 80,000 - 8000 = 72,000. But depends on who u sale it to. Say you sell it to a frind or collegue before leaving then you can expect similar price. But if you sell it in a hurry to a Used bike dealer then you may get a bad bargain.

# Helmet - Try the helmet shops in Lal Bagh Road. They have a good choice.

Riding gear - Try Cramster or Yamaha Showroom (1st floor) near Forum - Kormangala.

If you are visiting US say within next few days do buy it from there otherwise pick it up from here and enjoy your ride. Riding gear and helmet are too bulky

Note: you can find the bolds in google or facebook

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb9800 View Post
Hi everyone,

So couple q's:
  • Helmet/Riding Gear - I know this is a whole other topic, but my immediate Q is if there's any point in me getting stuff while I'm in the US (before I actually buy a bike)-- i.e. does anyone know if solid riding gear is easier to find / cheaper in the US?
Old 15th June 2011, 02:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

FZ16 is a great bike as a first bike, Light, nimble & fun to ride.

I completely agree with what Abhinav has said, RTR & P220 would not be as comfortable as the FZ. So yes please go ahead with a FZ, used if you dont mind, keeping in mind the big depreciation you will face a year down the line. Besides you dont know for sure how much you would be riding once you start riding.

So to answer your points

- Yes FZ is a good option
- No formal training courses, take one from US or ask a friend in Bangalore, I am assuming that you atleast know how to ride a Bicycle
- Used- Look as Tbhp & xBhp classifieds.
- Resale - most of the showroom offer an exchange offer when buying a new bike which means they have someone who buys bike from them, reach out to showrooms (Bajaj, TVS, HH etc) for this
- You can get decent helmets in India too, again depends on your usage & feasibility of bringing one from US. If you can bring one from US then that would be great, just check out online reviews before buying any.
Old 15th June 2011, 03:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

FZ16 is the easy to control & comfortable (not the pinion) amongst the segment. Believe me, I myself a big fan of RTR for it's performance & had one for more than 1.5 years, but for the ease of riding I recommend FZ.

1) 2W driving schools : Never heard of one in India
2) Used / New : I vote for a used bike. You get advantages in terms of depreciation, considerably lesser loss during resale, dents & scratches are unavoidable in Bangalore traffic & it is heartbreaking to see our new vehicle getting such gifts.
3) Resale : Don't worry buddy, you are in B'lore.
4) Riding Gears : No idea, but good quality helmets are available at B'lore
Old 16th June 2011, 23:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
I'm also in pretty much the same position as you.
I have my cars but want to get my first bike just for a bit of fun. We seem to have almost the same criteria so I hope I should be able to help you out.

First off, the FZ is a brilliant choice. I've test ridden all the bikes in the 150-220 cc range, and the FZ is undoubtably the easiest to ride, especially in the city.
Thanks for the tips. Figured if the FZ's stable / easier to deal with on the road as a beginner and looks solid too, then might as well. Lackluster performance over 100 kph seems to be an issue, but I don't think I'd drive a solid, planted car too much over that in Bangalore, let alone a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
As for gear, buy it all from the US. You get much better quality there, at much better prices, especially if you can pick up something on sale. I, myself was considering asking my sister to get me a helmet from the states, but scrapped the idea once I figured out id have issues with size. Id recommend you go for either Arai or Shoei Helmets, but just make sure it fits well.
Yep, will prob do that.
Old 17th June 2011, 00:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
First of all, Welcome to Bangalore.
Thanks

Quote:
About 2W driving lessons, if you are familiar with the traffic rules in India, its good. You can practice in a playground/open area closer to where you stay(with a friend/neighbour guiding on signalling and other stuff and not on how to drive, if you thought so ). However, if you still want to learn from a school, almost all schools that provide 4W training provide 2W training(though mostly for women.For Men, they do it with "I cant believe you want a 2W training" grin)
Haha yeah, unfortunately I've seen that grin/laugh . I'm familiar with traffic rules in general (driving a car), but things seems a bit different with a 2W (e.g. dealing with having zero right of way, vs. at least some in a car), so guess I'll just have to learn that bit on the road. For the basics, I'll be taking the MSF course next week hopefully.

Quote:
Selling FZ is difficult as I have seen it from close quarters as
1. Mileage is low
2. Price expected by seller is high since its OTR is pretty high (about ~80k)

You can sell it off directly to a buyer rather than going through agents as you might get a price closer to your expectations.
Yeah sounds like it... where do people generally list these things to sell directly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Look at the TVS JIve it is a 110cc , with auto clutch. No head ache in traffic also easy to ride
Hmm the clutchless shifting sounds nice (like shift paddles in manumatics or dual-clutch manuals in cars), but if I'm only doing this for some fun, I figure should get at least a 150cc bike? Otherwise my daily commute is quite simple in the Reva (no shifting, etc.).
Old 17th June 2011, 00:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Sure! have a look here (for what I felt after TDing good bikes in the zone)

If Its Fz you are looking at, I would frankly suggest you get a new one. All the points you have mentioned are sure right from the practical POV, but then again - with this Yamaha - you connect!

Frankly speaking - this should be a thought well thought about.
I am not sure about this part.
I never thought of parting with my first bike (I mean, the first 'I' have bought - I also thought of that when I was deciding which to buy!!)
But, then again, your requirement is very different.
So, please search around a bit more on this.
Thanks for the feedback, Ace. Yeah so upside of new would be (hopefully) less hassle with things going wrong / warranty repairs, not having to worry about getting a bike with big issues, and such. Downsides would be depreciation in my 1 year (actually probably more like 10 months by the time I actually get one) of ownership and feeling bad about marks/scratches/etc.

If I get a bike, the FZ16 looks to be it (I actually prefer the plain black/red finishes to the stripes on the FZ-S), so need to decide on the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The best thing about the FZ is its a very forgiving bike and you will reach your skill limit before the bike reaches its limit. I am taking mild corners faster than i could ever imagine taking them in the RTR160.
Yeah sounds solid. RTR also has pretty anonymous styling (whereas if I get an FZ, people back home might think it's something like the FZ1, which has slightly greater engine capacity ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
There are a few FZ16's put up for sale in the T-BHP classifieds. So you can look at them as an option. In fact since you plan to use it only for a year, you will be better off with a used FZ.

Resale of the FZ16 if sold to the 2nd hand dealers is very bad. You pay close to 80k on road for it when new and you can expect anywhere between 45-55k when selling it after a year based on the number of kms it has run and the condition of the bike. If this is not a concern then you can look at a new bike.
Eek, 30k is pretty big hit, so yeah, avoiding that would be nice... how do you guys generally find decent mechanics to trust on used bike evaluations? Are they dealer techs you get to know via your existing bike, do you take your bike to some non-brand repair shop, etc.?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks