Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 01:46   #1
BHPian

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!

As I had mentioned in earlier threads I was planning to give my 1974 Yezdi Type B a facelift. I got her cos of sheer luck (A friend was hunting for a bike, any bike infact. He search far and wide. Then he stumbled upon a Yezdi. As usual he was owner hanging for weeks... average kitna milega, parts kaha pe milega... Then one day he showed me the pics. I saw the fins on the cylinder head and realised that it was a Type B and a rare one. Called up the owner went to him, saw the bike and papers... everything was clean. Ran to an ATM, gave him the money and took her home that very day). But now I want to treat her right. The facelift process is half complete. Need all the Yezdi gurus suggestions and tips to make her a prim and proper lady!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-type-b.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-26042011328.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-26042011329.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-26042011330.jpg  

Last edited by Leepower : 27th April 2011 at 01:48.
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 12:22   #2
BHPian

Re: My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!

The bike looks in quiet good condition. Congratulations on the purchase.

With thanks and regards
Old 29th April 2011, 05:45   #3
BHPian

Thanks man. It didn't even have no seat, tyres were worn out, tank was rusting and leaking, crank was making lot of noises, chassis was rusting and shaking. It had lots of problems. It was a slow and steady process to bring her back to her former self!!!
Old 1st May 2011, 00:34   #4
BHPian

The restoration is almost complete. The tank pads had to be removed cos the panel was too rusty and leavy. Some more fine tuning needs to be done. And thanks in advance to Indrojit Sircar. His Jikov carb is on its way!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-29042011049.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-29042011050.jpg  

Last edited by Leepower : 1st May 2011 at 00:37.
Old 1st May 2011, 00:45   #5
BHPian

Dear leepower,

Excellent restoration the 74 Yezdi had round chain cover like that of jawa and Jawa mutha.
The Fin heads were available only for a year i guess.
Excellent find though as it had all the spare parts like the chain cover, the front mud guard.
Also i can see the mrf tyres 3.25*16 on the bike these are a rareity these days.where did u find them?

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 1st May 2011, 01:58   #6
BHPian

Yes, only 1974 Tybe B has the fin-type cylinder head. That is one reason why I bought the bike. It is kind of a rare find.
The tyres are not MRF, it is of a company called SpeedWays. It is an OK OK tyre. The plus point is that the tyres are new and the typre profile is pretty close to the MRF one. I got it in Pune itself. But I have managed to stock three MRF 3.25 16 inchers in Kerala!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 1st May 2011 at 02:01.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Hey how is the tyre quality? i mean is it good , average or ok.
What is the average cost of the single tyre?

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:52   #8
BHPian

Tyre quality is average. I have driven my bike for nearly a month with these tyres, and I have to say that tyre slips while doing over even a small stone!!! Costs around Rs 1500 per tyre.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:20   #9
BHPian

Hi!,

I also have ordered the tyres from the company itself; hope they last for atleast a year or so.
With whom in pune did u restore your bike?
were u able to source the spares of the bike like engine gears and cylinder and piston?

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 4th May 2011, 17:52   #10
BHPian

Just found some Dunlop 3.25 16 inch tyres yesterday at Nana Peth in Pune. Managed to stock up two for a friend. Dunlop and Ceat tyres for Yezdi do arrive in the market at times. Anyways, I don't need em cos I found some MRF ones in Kerala. Only problem is I have to bring them here and that is gonna take sometime.
Now, about the restoration. I did it at my friend's garage. He is techie and a Yezdi expert. Kept the bike there. As I said earlier the engine was butter smooth. Didn't have much work there. Just got the gear fixed with Satalkar, he is a old hand, slow, but good. Sat with him for nearly a day and he fixed it. Painting and chroming was done by my friend's mech. Didn't let the mech keep the bike, can't trust any of them these days. They might take off and mount cheap parts!!! It has happened to a friend's Jawa.
Now, the only thing left is to put a battery and the Jikov carb sent by Indrojit Sircar. Hopefully, will do these tasks tomorrow and the bike will be ready to rock and roll!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 4th May 2011 at 17:54.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:01   #11
BHPian

Here are some pics of the Jikov carb. It needs to be cleaned. Thanks to Mr Sircar again!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-04052011331.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-04052011332.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-04052011333.jpg  

My '74 Yezdi Type B Project!-04052011336.jpg  

Old 4th May 2011, 19:30   #12
BHPian

Hi Leepower,

That's a beautiful restoration of a bike from the yesteryears. I have personally never ridden a yezdi, but I love the sheer sound of the 2 stroke engine of a 250 cc yezdi. I happened to see a lot of them back in Kerala where people used to get them restored. Just wanted to know, how much did it cost you, what is the usual FE of the bike and how is the overall ride quality (as compared to a Royal Enfield Bullet).
Old 4th May 2011, 22:22   #13
BHPian

It didn't cost me much, under 30K, excluding the cost of buying the bike. Most money went for spares cos I was buying them in bulk. Now, I have three sets of MRF 3.25 16 inch tyres, three pistons, two Pacao (is the spelling correct???) carbs etc, etc...
I have never checked her FE, like I never check my Bullet's FE. But my friend says she gives around 30 km per litre. I know of roadkings which give FE of around 35-40 which is considered very good!!! And I have personally seen a Jawa running on kerosene!!!
Yezdi is not a city bike. Compared to them, Bullets are a breeze to ride in city traffic, thanks to the neutral finder.
Finding the neutral before stopping is a real pain. May be it's just cos I have only been driving her for two months or so... Then if the bike stalls in the traffic, kickstarting it while sitting is a real toughie for me, I am 6 feet and have to stand up to kick start it!!!
But she never heats up like my Bull is neck to neck traffic and on open roads she rules.
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 22:24   #14
BHPian

Repeat post admins' please delete this post.
Thanks,
Leepower

Last edited by Leepower : 4th May 2011 at 22:26.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:19   #15
BHPian

Good whats the price of dunlop ones in pune?
Renovating the bike at your friends place was a good call.
Getting the gear fixed at Bhaus (satalkar) place was a smart move as he is the best in business.
IPL pistons are easily available i also have stocked a dozen may be for my bikes of all sizes you never know when u require them.
If the Jikov (SBD2969) carb is used one; if yes please check for the slide as there may be a play in it also never forget to switch off the petrol cock when not in use as this carb is prone to flooding.

Regards,
Ranjit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks