Team-BHP > Motor-Sports

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2024, 12:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mika Hakkinen to open India’s first international karting arena

India is all set to get its first FIA-CIK-approved karting track. The new facility, christened Madras International Karting Arena (MIKA), will be inaugurated by Formula 1 World Champion Mika Hakkinen on September 19.

Mika Hakkinen to open India’s first international karting arena-screenshot-20240831-120341.jpg

MIKA is located at the Madras International Circuit near Chennai. It boasts a 1.2 km track designed by Driven International, a UK-based motorsport design firm, with inputs from former F1 driver Karun Chandhok.

The establishment of the new world-class karting facility in India will not only aid the development of local racing talent but will also reduce the expenses of training and competing for budding racers by hosting international events like the World Rotax finals.

Source: Evo India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 31st August 2024 at 12:06.
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 13:29   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Mika Hakkinen to open India’s first international karting arena

Karting produces future formula drivers. And looking at the shift to electric, I am doubtful the ICE karters of today would be relevant in their adulthood age, when the time to enter formula driving comes.
Then again, it would be nice to have a few new India formula drivers on the grids to replace overrated names like Chandhok and Mahaveer Raghunathans!
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 17:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
And looking at the shift to electric, I am doubtful the ICE karters of today would be relevant in their adulthood age, when the time to enter formula driving comes.
Racecar driving is a craft. The change in powertrain won't make a difference to the approach in the craft. If needed, although I doubt it, racers will adapt - as they do every time they go to a different series. Underlying principles remaining the same. Rules of physics driving at the limit dictate the same, irrespective of the powertrain. Unless there is a revolution in tire physics, the change in the way a car is driven around the corner remain the same.
s2K_scorpioN is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 21:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
India is all set to get its first FIA-CIK-approved karting track. The new facility, christened Madras International Karting Arena (MIKA), will be inaugurated by Formula 1 World Champion Mika Hakkinen on September 19
I wonder if they came up with the short form (MIKA) before or after they finalised the chief guest

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st August 2024 at 23:13.
Electricpig is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 22:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Karting produces future formula drivers. And looking at the shift to electric, I am doubtful the ICE karters of today would be relevant in their adulthood age, when the time to enter formula driving comes.
Then again, it would be nice to have a few new India formula drivers on the grids to replace overrated names like Chandhok and Mahaveer Raghunathans!
I wouldn't say Chandhok is overrated. He's exactly what he was. Mediocre but a decent Indian driver. Nowhere as bad as Raghunathan. And ICE isn't going anywhere in racing. Formula e is there for fully electric. I beleive ICE will continue to exist with sustainable fuels and hybrid systems.
venukrithish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 15:03   #6
BHPian

I saw this track under construction when I was in MMRC earlier this year for a track day event. Can't wait to go there once it opens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venukrithish View Post
And ICE isn't going anywhere in racing. Formula e is there for fully electric. I beleive ICE will continue to exist with sustainable fuels and hybrid systems.
Exactly! F1 will continue to be on ICE with more effiecient, hybrid and sustaintable options to make it Carbon Neutral by 2030 and then further beyond. Electric will be F-e which might, probably, become as popular as F1, but F1 will remain the pinnacle of motor sport.

Last edited by vignesh207 : 2nd September 2024 at 15:04. Reason: Typo
vignesh207 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2024, 21:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mika Hakkinen opens India's first CIK standard karting track

Two-time Formula 1 World Champion Mika Hakkinen has inaugurated India's first Commission Internationale de Karting (CIK)-approved professional karting track. Former F1 drivers Karun Chandhok and Narain Karthikeyan were also present at the event.

Mika Hakkinen to open India’s first international karting arena-460654741_18469462033032250_4271732975881785283_n.jpg

Madras International Karting Arena (MIKA) is located at the Madras International Circuit, near Chennai. It is a 1.2 km track designed by UK-based Driven International, with inputs from Karun Chandhok. The track layout will not only promote close racing and overtaking but will also help develop and train young drivers.

Mika Hakkinen to open India’s first international karting arena-460735539_18469462087032250_562660271376785350_n.jpg

Some of the infrastructure that has been set up at the track includes floodlights, a control room, and a holding area with charging facilities for electric go-karts. Drivers can choose from a range of karts, including ICE and electric. There are special karts for kids, while 2-seaters will be added soon.

MIKA will be open to the public for leisure activities and competitions.

Source: Evo India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2024, 06:01   #8

Great to see that the sport of F1 and karting is slowly gaining more popularity and even the government is willing to invest in it. There are a ton of F1 fans out there and this might as well be a hub for future racers who aspire to reach F1. Kudos to the team! Also, it's great to see Mika Häkkinen, Karun Chandok and Narain Karthikeyan inaugurating the track open for the public.

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd September 2024 at 06:17.
DasAutoFanatic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2024, 07:04   #9
BHPian

I seriously hope that the karts are better maintained than most of the other karting tracks in the country
Old 24th September 2024, 16:03   #10
BHPian

Any idea on the specs and brand of the karts they are using for both electric and petrol?
I have had the privilege of driving sodi karts on Philip Island track. They were really good. I hope we can get a chance to do some high speed karting in india.

Most Viewed