Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 17:33   #166
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car

Thanks Eminenttismo! Is the air filter same for alto,wagon r ,ritz and the swift k series? The website says so. I have my doubts. can somebody confirm please?
Old 21st April 2014, 14:48   #167
BHPian

Ertiga 1.4 VVT - Tuning Options

Hi All,

I would like to increase the power in my Ertiga 1.4 to a small extent. I don't find the third/fourth gears interesting. The power delivery seems to be very normal and sluggish.

What are all the different ways to improve the power. Also, I don't want to lose too much on the fuel efficiency.

a) Remap
b) Cold Air Intake
c) Free Flow Exhaust
Old 21st April 2014, 16:52   #168
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ertiga 1.4 VVT - Tuning Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi All,

I would like to increase the power in my Ertiga 1.4 to a small extent. I don't find the third/fourth gears interesting. The power delivery seems to be very normal and sluggish.

What are all the different ways to improve the power. Also, I don't want to lose too much on the fuel efficiency.

a) Remap
b) Cold Air Intake
c) Free Flow Exhaust
a) Doesn't expect too much of an increase but sure will get more interesting. Unichip also available but for that installation needs to be done at coimbatore. tune o tronics also does remaps for Suzukis. Both should offer better midrange performance.

b) It helps, but the stock airbox can be made to perform better. I sold my BMC OTA kit after i modified my stock airbox. It flows well enough now. Two things need to be done: 1) There is a hole/port feeding the resonator on the air intake suction pipe, close that hole with aluminium tape (its strong) or something else. 2) Smooth the inside of the airbox, atleast the post filter side.

c) Free flow exhaust - helps a little bit. Combine it with a header for better performance.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 22:29   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Hi All,

Till your car is under warranty use a tuning box from Pete or any other performance tuner and once the warranty ends go ahead with a remap.

Anurag.
Old 22nd April 2014, 00:43   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to increase the power in my Ertiga 1.4 to a small extent.
Simply put tuning & remapping on a naturally aspirated NA engine would not result in any benefit more than 5%. Its only on turbo charged cars like TSi, T-Jet and TDi that you get a 25-30% increase in torque & power.

I would suggest your drop ideas of any tuning & remapping on your NA 1.4 VVT as the returns would not be worth the money spent.
Old 22nd April 2014, 01:43   #171
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2014 at 16:00.
anky is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:52   #172
BANNED

The Ertiga comes in two engine options:

1) 1.4L K-Series VVT
2) 1.3L DDiS VGT

Now the OP wants to increase the power of his Ertiga which chines with the K-Series engine i.e petrol powered.

Anurag.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2014 at 16:01. Reason: Quoted post deleted
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:47   #173
BHPian

I had modded Swift 1.3 zxi with

- RD Ecu
- Cold air intake
- Headers and Exhaust done by Raj higorani.

With these mods it could even over take remapped diesel swift.
With RD Ecu you even have option of switching back to stock/power mode when ever you want.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:52   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC, RRP offers a Stage 1 (or 2?) performance modification, with a Race ECU, Fuel Pressure Regulator, CAI and a FFE.

I think that should do the job. AFAIK, they are very reliable, and you can always go back to them.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:07   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

a) Remap
b) Cold Air Intake
c) Free Flow Exhaust
CAI and FFE are the two main ingredients and basic changes to start off with to increase the power on a NA petrol engine. I would suggest these first and then a remap if required. Remap like many said will provide only a slight increase on a NA engine. Fuel Pump Regulator is again if required after checking the readings after the FFE and CAI fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IIRC, RRP offers a Stage 1 (or 2?) performance modification, with a Race ECU, Fuel Pressure Regulator, CAI and a FFE.

I think that should do the job. AFAIK, they are very reliable, and you can always go back to them.
True about RRP.
Stage 1 is FPR, CAI and FFE.
FPR only if required. On my Figo 1.2 , just the FFE and CAI made a good change in mid range and low speed driveability(without A/C) and the FPR was not required since the stock one was adjusting to the changes fine.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:27   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi All,

a) Remap
b) Cold Air Intake
c) Free Flow Exhaust
Well you could do either of those 3, or all of them and get a mild improvement. But to be honest it will feel faster than it is because of the sound.

ORRRRR drop by at Red Rooster, and get them to turbo the engine. With a smaller turbo you won't have noticeable lag and the 3rd and 4th gear will become far more interesting, with the power delivery becoming much better.

Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:53   #177
BHPian

Folks - Many thanks for your responses!

With a remap (or) CAI with FFE, can I expect the power to increase from 95BHP @ 6000rpm to raise upto 105 BHP @ 4500rpm?

Is that possible?
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:18   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Folks - Many thanks for your responses!

With a remap (or) CAI with FFE, can I expect the power to increase from 95BHP @ 6000rpm to raise upto 105 BHP @ 4500rpm?

Is that possible?
Possible but a remap can be deigned the way you want the vehicle to behave at different RPM ranges.

When the maps are being adjusted you can ask for how the characteristics should be.

Anurag.
Old 22nd April 2014, 15:01   #179
Senior - BHPian

FPR is to be installed only if the motor is running lean after air intake revision and headers. A wideband should be hooked up to the motor and the fueling checked before deciding on any FPR. Else its good for inflating the bill.

In Ertiga petrol installing an FPR is easier said than done because there is no return line from the fuel rail to the tank Manifold vacuum is not referenced by Ertiga's OEM FPR.

@Prodigy07, I have sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Till your car is under warranty use a tuning box from Pete or any other performance tuner and once the warranty ends go ahead with a remap.

Anurag.
Tuning boxes are for CRDI turbo Diesels only. They don't work with NA petrols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Simply put tuning & remapping on a naturally aspirated NA engine would not result in any benefit more than 5%. Its only on turbo charged cars like TSi, T-Jet and TDi that you get a 25-30% increase in torque & power.

I would suggest your drop ideas of any tuning & remapping on your NA 1.4 VVT as the returns would not be worth the money spent.
True that.

Unless you are willing to make some hardware changes ditch the idea as it may not be worthwhile based on your expectations. Getting power out of NA petrol is not as easy as a common rail turbo diesel.

Last edited by Sankar : 22nd April 2014 at 15:02.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 14:50   #180
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car

Cross posting from ownership thread.

Got the RAM intake pipe extended to begin from the front grill now. The CAI was basically a HAI with the summer heat lowering the power quite a bit.
With this set up and the longer intake, the response is much better along with a smooth engine.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car-img1077.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car-img1078.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks