Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 22:22   #466
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Checkout this post from the dedicated thread:
Just when your reply was posted I was reading the dedicated thread, thank you for pointing this out.
Upsizing from 185/60 to 205/55 may be the ideal as far as the resultant change in dimensions are concerned. Can anyone tell me how it will affect the FE, driving dynamics and steering form their own experience. Or is it safer to upgrade just to 195/60?
Old 7th September 2013, 17:18   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Kumho is from Korea. Many Hyundai vehicles used to come with Kumho as standard OEM.

My i10 came with Kumho Touring gold plus. They are pretty decent but slightly on the noisier side. However, they are super silent on neatly tarred roads. I did a Hyd-Mys-Hyd trip and they did not create any problem except for a close calls when it was raining heavily or if the road was very smooth with little traction.

I guess any tyre may not hold good in such conditions.

Can anyone let me know what is a good replacement tyres for M800 ? We haven't replaced them before and there are loads of models available today. The car is not used much but the tires need to be changes as the rubber has become very hard. Got a quote of about 2200~2400 for MRF stock size with tube model. Any recommendations in Hyderabad ?
Old 14th September 2013, 13:51   #468
BHPian

I am posting a link here for the benefit of the members when going for plus or down- sizing.

One of the very frequently ignored areas while doing a plus sizing especially is the rim width. I have seen a lot of people sticking to original rims but plus sizing to absurd sizes on the same rim. Which is dangerous. Most tyre dealers do not have the exact knowledge on this subject and advice only on their experiences.

If you are going for pluz sizing, just double check whether your new tyre size is safe for the rim width.

Link: http://www.team3wheels.com/tech_specs_tire_chart.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 08:32   #469

I have a 4 year old Swift Dzire VDI. My tires are on Jk Tyres. I have run 62k and I find there are slight damages to the side wall. I intend to change the tyres as a highway trip is due later this month.Which tyre is good VFM and durability-JK Tornado,Appolla Amazer or MRF .
Old 15th October 2013, 16:52   #470
Senior - BHPian

Tire Up sizes by Manufactuers

While going through the various tire up size calculators, a question came to my mind. Nearly all manufacturers nowadays provide different OEM tire sizes based on the variants opted for. So typically a lower variant will get a thinner tire and smaller rim while its the other way around for higher variants. For example: in my case for my Esteem an Lx/Lxi variant used to come 155/80/R13 while the Vxi variants had 175/70/R13 (in this case same rim size).

Now using the tire up size calculator its shows that there is a difference in circumference of 9.43 mm or 0.52%. Similarly the difference in case of i20 Era and Asta (Sunroof) 14.14 mm or 0.75%.

Now I do agree the difference is not that high however are these taken into account by the manufacturers while setting up their cars. Otherwise the cars would actually give wrong speedo and odo reading, also which one will be considered as the benchmark ?

MODS: I kept a separate thread since this was a specific question. Kindly help to merge this thread with an existing one, if need be.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 15th October 2013 at 16:53.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:55   #471
BHPian

I am in search of tyres with hard sidewalls and sporty looks in 185/60/14 size. What can be the ideal choices? I am leaning towards BS Potenza G3's, are any better choices available? Looking only from BS or Yokos. Excuse Michelin.
Old 29th November 2013, 20:50   #472
BHPian

Hi,

I was using Michelin XM1+ 185/65R14 in my Figo TDCi from the start. It is more than 40K now (and two and half years). For the last couple of weeks, i am seeing the tyre noise level increased. Even though there are sufficient thread left, i am thinking of replacing them. Looking forward your suggestions.

- I am planning to keep the same upsize 185/65R14.
- I am happy with XM1+ except for the recent tyre noise. Would like to know if any better alternate
- My priorities are: quite / comfort / Better road grip
- My usage is mostly on good roads with yearly two or three highway trips

The shortlisted ones so far based on various reading in the forums are:
1. Yoko C Drive
2. XM+2
3. MRF ZLO

Regards
Deva
Old 9th December 2013, 02:39   #473
BHPian

Re: Tire Up sizes by Manufactuers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
While going through the various tire up size calculators, a question came to my mind. Nearly all manufacturers nowadays provide different OEM tire sizes based on the variants opted for. So typically a lower variant will get a thinner tire and smaller rim while its the other way around for higher variants. For example: in my case for my Esteem an Lx/Lxi variant used to come 155/80/R13 while the Vxi variants had 175/70/R13 (in this case same rim size).

Now using the tire up size calculator its shows that there is a difference in circumference of 9.43 mm or 0.52%. Similarly the difference in case of i20 Era and Asta (Sunroof) 14.14 mm or 0.75%.

Now I do agree the difference is not that high however are these taken into account by the manufacturers while setting up their cars. Otherwise the cars would actually give wrong speedo and odo reading, also which one will be considered as the benchmark ?

MODS: I kept a separate thread since this was a specific question. Kindly help to merge this thread with an existing one, if need be.
yes..that is a point to be taken note of. On a similar note, when they claim the mileage figures of a model to the accurate decimal point like 18.9 or 22.5 km/l, about which variant are they talking about? The skinny tyred base model or the thicker-tyred top model? No mention about that has been found anywhere till date. Also with the upward change in the tyre size, tyre profile measurement also changes, (height aspect ratio) and this changes the Ground clearance too by a small fraction.(reduction in most cases). It is often compensated by the fact that the higher variant which has thicker tyres and lower profile will have bigger rim size, so ground clearance will be approximately the same as the lower variant, but not exactly the same. If it has to be exactly the same, then there is no other way other than having different suspension setups for the different variants. Is that what the manufacturers are doing? Or are they simply publishing the Ground clearance value, which is the highest of the two?
Old 9th December 2013, 09:26   #474
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tire Up sizes by Manufactuers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
yes..that is a point to be taken note of. On a similar note, when they claim the mileage figures of a model to the accurate decimal point like 18.9 or 22.5 km/l, about which variant are they talking about? The skinny tyred base model or the thicker-tyred top model?
For obvious reasons, I think the car manufacturer will take the skinniest tyre shod model and also the lowest trim (lower weight etc), and then reach the highest FE !
Tyre OD difference of less than 2% is ok as a rule of thumb while upsizing. Differences of 0.5% etc, are quite low, and I don't think the car manufacturer will recalibrate the speedo etc based on this small difference. As you know, when the speedo of any car claims 'x' km/h, its usually lower by ~5% than the shown speed (varies from car to car, but is almost always lesser by a smallish amount)
Old 15th December 2013, 16:41   #475
BHPian

What would be the ideal replacement for the Amaze OE tyres. Plan to replace them as soon as I get it out of the showroom. Please also suggest few good places around PCMC - pune for getting the tyres replaced.
Old 15th December 2013, 17:05   #476
BHPian

Are you planning to upsize or just upgrade the tyres?

Tyres - Michelin XM2 and Yoko A drives are extremely good tyres which will improve grip, comfort as well as will be pretty decent in terms of longevity as well as general reliability.

Apollo Aceleres will be a very VFM replacement as they are pretty good all rounders at a cheaper price.

Upsize - usually people upsize to 185/65 r14. It will give slightly more ground clearance and better comfort without many downsides.

195/60r14 is another choice if you really wanna go wide.

But be advised, upsizing will immediately void warranty.

Truthfully, for everyday use and normal driving style without super high speed driving and cornering, just upgrading to better quality tyres in the stock size will be more than enough for all your needs. My advice would to stick to stock size.

Sorry do not know any shop in PCMC area.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 15th December 2013 at 17:12.
Old 15th December 2013, 18:17   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Are you planning to upsize or just upgrade the tyres?
I am not upsizing, just upgrading to better tyres.
It's 80% city driving so don't need much for high speeds.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 26th February 2014, 06:07   #478
BHPian

Thinking if getting new rims and tires for my Fabia.
The stock size is a puny 185/60R14.
Thinking of upgrading to 205/50R16.

Should I go forward with this setup?
Also, the rims I am considering are 7J width. Will they be too wide? Experts please advise. Thanks in advance!
Old 27th February 2014, 22:59   #479

Hi,
I am planning to fix alloy wheels to my Tata Nano. I further plan to fix the extra wheel at the rear of the car as shown in the attached picture (downloaded from Google Images). Could you suggest a reliable online vendor of Nano Alloy Wheels and also the required fixture to fix the spare wheel.
Thanks,
Anurag.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-ferrari_1.jpg  

Old 28th February 2014, 12:06   #480
BHPian

Hi

Is a 175/50/13 tire upgrade goood for a 2004 Zen ??

Thanks in advance..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks