Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 04:06   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

You asked a question and have almost replied it all your self. Keen observation and calculation.

From all I have been able to gather the braking should improve and not become weak with the replacement you are doing. The middle figure changes from 70 to 65 which means lower profile tyres ergo much bigger contact area. Also the old tyre would be worn out and so would not be working at peak braking efficiency.

Maybe a new tyre could have low gripping initially for a few km's till the outer polish wears out. Other wise new rubber should also be "tacky"

Is there any way to measure what you are saying?
Old 21st October 2010, 12:50   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNK View Post
When last were the brakes serviced/checked prior to the tire change?
Just one week before the tyre change.. I gave the vehicle for a paid service.. so they would/should have checked for brakes and all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
You asked a question and have almost replied it all your self. Keen observation and calculation.

From all I have been able to gather the braking should improve and not become weak with the replacement you are doing. The middle figure changes from 70 to 65 which means lower profile tyres ergo much bigger contact area. Also the old tyre would be worn out and so would not be working at peak braking efficiency.

Maybe a new tyre could have low gripping initially for a few km's till the outer polish wears out. Other wise new rubber should also be "tacky"

Is there any way to measure what you are saying?
Well... I had to confirm with experts that my calculation is actually right

After the tyre change the surface area of the car has increased, but not sure if that would actually improve the braking power. My thought was, because the tyre size has changed, will the brakes which were made for lower sized tyres, have same effect on the new tyres.

I had felt that car is taking a litttttle more time to stop, especially at the speeds I go (100-140).. even in the link what LNK gave, it said that if we go to tyre sizes with more than 3% increase in diameter size of the tyre, the brakes can fail. Thats what made me think...
Old 21st October 2010, 13:55   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Braking is directly proportionate to contact patch. So increased surface means more breaking. Yes you may need a bit more pressure (bigger wheel same brakes) but given that the vacuum boost is standard on almost all cars that would virtually be insignificant.

Brakes failing with increase of more than 3% diameter......hmmmmmm. AFAIK most of the vehicles have allowance for one size up. But worth checking more.
Old 21st October 2010, 18:33   #319

I have done a similar change to my Getz.. I dont think there is too much of a problem in braking, nothing noticeable.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:50   #320

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Guys, looking for advice on tyre - which Tyre is better for Pune roads considering:

1) half of Pune roads are always under construction (and so, no tar/cement road, mostly pebble road)?

2) I've a increased suspension height (use of pads) car. I sometimes feel a bit of swaying and also, the camber on the rear two wheels are not similar (one +ve and the other almost straight)! Results in uneven tyre wear (probably). So, need good tyre wear resistance.

3) Do not do too much highway driving

Bridgstone S322 / Turanza ER60 / Michelin XM1+ / Any other suggestion?

I have an Old Honda City 1.3 EXi. Need 175/70R13 tyres. Not planning for any up-size / downsize.

Please help with your suggestions...
Old 18th January 2011, 12:00   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheersHonda View Post
Bridgstone S322 / Turanza ER60 / Michelin XM1+ / Any other suggestion?
S322 is a stock tyre and not considered very good.
Turanza ER60 is supposed to give much better ride comfort than S322 and is more resistant to bad roads than XM1+.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:56   #322
BHPian

Tyre make for Figo(Stock).

Hi BHPians,

I am contemplating of buying a Figo TDCI Titatnium. The salesman told me today that I can choose my stock tyres from MRF, Apollo or Goodyear.

Which is the better make among the three wrt comfort, road noise, performance and tyre life?

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2011 at 15:04. Reason: Please use Search before opening new thread. Thanks
Old 18th January 2011, 15:07   #323
Team-BHP Support

If it is Apollo accelere then go with that, good tyres. Next i would suggest MRF and last GoodYears.
Old 18th January 2011, 16:28   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If it is Apollo accelere then go with that, good tyres. Next i would suggest MRF and last GoodYears.
I would not suggest Apollo accelere. A colleague of mine got his car in Dec and the horror story of car drifting to left is once again in the scene. Looks like the old problem with this tyre is not yet resolved.

My colleague paid a visit to the service center last week and they did a wheel alignment job and the problem still persists. Only now when he has escalated the issue, the service center guys have fixed an appointment this weekend for getting the tyre fixed/replaced.

I would say either Goodyear or MRF. (I personally have Goodyear's on my car)
Old 18th January 2011, 16:56   #325
Team-BHP Support

First time am hearing bad review about Accelere's. Are you sure its not a one off case? Tyre pull did he try swapping the wheels from one side to the other.

But whatever said and done keep off GoodYears one of the worst tyres, and wears out fast. Only JK's are worse than these.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:41   #326
BHPian

Hi Jaggu,

Guess you have missed the long discussion on Figo threads.

Here is one for your reference
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...tures-145.html

And yes this was a known issues with Apollo in the first batches of the car for which the dealers changed tyres for many customers. Now Ford has again started with Apollo and the same complaints are coming back.
Old 18th January 2011, 23:56   #327
BHPian

I think the TD vehicle was shod with Acceleres. But in teh above link I saw that Acceleres were defective???

So is MRF the only ones left? What should I go for?
Old 19th January 2011, 00:00   #328
Team-BHP Support

I was really not aware of this Figo Accelere story. Hope its only a one batch of oem tires and are being recalled.
Old 28th January 2011, 02:58   #329
BHPian

Tyre Width - Some questions

I have some questions about tyre sizes - width in particular (some generic and some specific to the SX4 ZXi) -

Generic questions -
1. How much difference does a 10mm difference in tyre width make to the handling of a car? I realize that the difference would be greater for thinner tyres than otherwise (135mm to 145mm would be a bigger jump %age-wise than 205mm to 215mm) but is the difference *really* tangible?
2. Does the effect of a wider tyre depend on the type of tyre as well (uni-directional vs. two-way)?
3. Do grip-patterns (grooves) on a tyre change across different sizes of the same brand+model tyre? They can't simply scale in a linear fashion, right?
4. (Actually, this is an "aside") Any particular reason why tyre widths always (to my very limited knowledge) end with a "5"? Haven't heard of 200/60R14 or 180/60/R13.

Specific to the SX4 ZXi -
1. Does it make sense to go for 215/60R16 tyres over the stock (for ZXi) 205/60R16 (given the same tyre brand & model)? Will the difference in handling be noticeable in this case?
2. Is the difference in handling (if noticeable) worth the extra cost (enquired with a local tyre vendor in Pune today and was told that the price difference would be Rs. 800-900/- per tyre)? So, is it really worth that extra 4-5K? Or is that money better spent somewhere else?

Some background - I'm planning to purchase a new SX4 ZXi sometime in the next few weeks. Hence, the research and hence the questions.
After reading through a lot of threads in this forum, I've decided to upgrade to better rubbers from the word go. I may go for either the Continental CPC2 or the Michelin Primacy LC. I had done the same when I purchased my Palio 1.2NV ELX more than 4 years back - had upgraded to Potenza G3 185/70R13 before I took off from the showroom. FYI, I was VERY VERY satisfied with the G3s in all conditions. I loved them. After running about 45K kms, when it was time to change the tyres I changed back to 165/80R13 (XM1s) and immediately felt a sizable difference in the way the car handled. I'm not sure if the tyre model or the downsize or both are to blame. So, this time around, I want to arm myself with enough knowledge so I can make an educated decision.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by etchemkay : 28th January 2011 at 03:06.
Old 28th January 2011, 03:07   #330
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre Width - Some questions

Similar queries have been answered elsewhere on the forum. Anyhow here is a link that is an ocean of relevant information.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks