Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2024, 01:58   #6196
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

My oil change for the 50k kms service of my i20 petrol 1.2 Active has already been done. Even though I should've asked this prior to the service, nevertheless, here it goes -

This time I went with my FNG for the annual service and wanted to procure the engine oil on my own. FNG generally uses Valvoline or Gulf oils. I decided to either go for Shell or Castrol. Due to shortage of time and immense traffic and straight away went to the nearest shell petrol bunk and purchased 5W-30 Shell Helix Fuelsave Fully synthetic oil. Its MRP is 3850.

After the service I was googling over the oils and on Amazon. I saw that this particular Oil is nowhere listed on any e-commerce websites. The same specification oil listed on the Amazon and Flipkart is a silver colored can with a much much lower price tag of just 1800-1900 rupees. Can anyone shed light what's going on here? Are these 2 different oils or I have fallen for the more expensive oil unnecessarily? Refer the below pics, blue can is what I bought and silver can is what is available on e-commerce.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_2024092501533888_fd1e8ef594b195c55a3bba4818d0ce35.jpg
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20240925_015647.jpg

-NA

Last edited by na_agrawal : 25th September 2024 at 01:59. Reason: Missing word
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2024, 18:31   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Shell Helix HX8 is API SN ACEA A3/B4 and an older spec, now phased out but still available. It is still a good oil for BS4 petrol or diesel cars so if you have one, feel free.

Shell Helix Fuelsave is the exact same oil but updated to API SP ACEA A3/B4 so it works for BS6 petrol and BS4 diesel cars.

https://shell-livedocs.com/data/publ...77fdb3c9ab.pdf

Shell pumps will sell their oils at the MRP, with no distributor, dealer etc discounts applied. Don't buy from them unless there is no other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
After the service I was googling over the oils and on Amazon. I saw that this particular Oil is nowhere listed on any e-commerce websites. The same specification oil listed on the Amazon and Flipkart is a silver colored can with a much much lower price tag of just 1800-1900 rupees. Can anyone shed light what's going on here? Are these 2 different oils or I have fallen for the more expensive oil unnecessarily? Refer the below pics, blue can is what I bought and silver can is what is available on e-commerce.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2024, 19:34   #6198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Shell Helix Fuelsave is the exact same oil but updated to API SP ACEA A3/B4

https://shell-livedocs.com/data/publ...77fdb3c9ab.pdf
So I paid for the certifications and very minute changes which are irrelevant for my 2017 car!!

I thought of saving some money by going to FNG and skipping Hyundai ASS this time, only to overspend on oil. haha!

Thanks for your reply.

PS: I searched more, I could've got imported Shell Rotella or Mannol engine oils at this price point. I think we all learn something when we take matters into our own hands.

Cheers.
-NA
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2024, 19:39   #6199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: I searched more, I could've got imported Shell Rotella or Mannol engine oils at this price point. I think we all learn something when we take matters into our own hands.
Rotella is a diesel specced oil that won't be of any use to you with a petrol car.

If you want expensive and high specced oils get Mobil1 0w40 (BS6 petrol, BS4 diesel), Castrol Edge 5w40 / Edge LL 5w30 (BS6 petrol as well as diesel), Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5w30 (BS6 petrol and diesel).
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2024, 21:49   #6200
BHPian

GS Caltex 5w30 is an awesome synthetic oil at a decent price point! Available online as well.

Quote:

-NA
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks