Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:05   #6121
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Cross posting from another thread-- I own a 2019 Dzire petrol. The manual recommends 0W20, but as usual most of the service centers don't have 0w20 fully synthetic in stock. Was wondering if I can use 5w30, since summers in Kolkata can reach 40 degrees. Thanks in advance!
Old 4th February 2024, 02:11   #6122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
The manual recommends 0W20, but as usual most of the service centers don't have 0w20 fully synthetic in stock. Was wondering if I can use 5w30, !
I would make such a change without any concerns in my vehicle, as long as the API Service Classification is also acceptable.
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 06:43   #6123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
I would make such a change without any concerns in my vehicle, as long as the API Service Classification is also acceptable.
You could also move to a 5w30 or 5w40 acea c3 and any modern turbo petrol or diesel is mostly not going to complain especially in a hot climate like India.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 10:44   #6124
BHPian

Quote:
Cross posting from another thread-- I own a 2019 Dzire petrol. The manual recommends 0W20, but as usual most of the service centers don't have 0w20 fully synthetic in stock. Was wondering if I can use 5w30, since summers in Kolkata can reach 40 degrees. Thanks in advance!
Try GS Caltex 5w30, it is awesome at a good price!
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 12:44   #6125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Amsoil has gained a lot of positive feedback from users, including me. Heck, I too swear by their Signature oil now. The feedback has also been passed on to Greaves via their rep Bhuvan.
I have used the Signature series once and now sitting on an oil change around March. This series is in 5-30 grade, and I don't see a 5-40 in their line-up. Now I do not foresee much trips in the summers so no problem with the 5-30 one, but does a lower figure at the right indicate something? The summers here are harsher than at Pune.
Old 5th February 2024, 14:46   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I have used the Signature series once and now sitting on an oil change around March. This series is in 5-30 grade, and I don't see a 5-40 in their line-up. Now I do not foresee much trips in the summers so no problem with the 5-30 one, but does a lower figure at the right indicate something? The summers here are harsher than at Pune.
A thicker 30 like this Amsoil vs 40 weight isn’t that much of a difference
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 23:47   #6127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You could also move to a 5w30 or 5w40 acea c3 and any modern turbo petrol or diesel is mostly not going to complain especially in a hot climate like India.
I run several vehicles with 0W40 oil from -40F to 120F under all types of running conditions with no issues. I cannot discern anything to complain about thus far over hundreds of thousands of cumulative miles. But that is just my opinion.
Old 6th February 2024, 21:59   #6128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
SAE 30 vs SAE 40 isn't much ofa difference. If you're concerned and still want to use synthetic please fill Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

OR

Mobil 1 5W-50. I won't really recommend a xW-50 oil in todays world. A 30 or 40 weight will do nicely provided it is synthetic.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 04:44   #6129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mobil 1 5W-50. I won't really recommend a xW-50 oil in todays world. A 30 or 40 weight will do nicely provided it is synthetic.
5w50 is recommended for some cars with high performance engines that also go on the track a lot, like the Mustang for instance.
Old 7th February 2024, 08:08   #6130
BHPian

Quote:
SAE 30 vs SAE 40 isn't much ofa difference. If you're concerned and still want to use synthetic please fill Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

OR

I am going with the Signature only. The second consecutive time. Rather I have shifted all my vehicles to the Amsoil now. The Inazuma feels altogether different with Amsoil.

Coming back to the Altis, what I have observed is that while changing the old Shell oil, the oil did not look dark brown. While the Amsoil that I will change now, does look darkish brown. The Shells were 5-40 & Signature is 5-30. Hence my query.
Old 7th February 2024, 08:53   #6131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly check your manual and see what grade is recommended. It is always best to stick to manafacturer recommendations. I recently shifted from 0W40 to 0W20 for my 2019 Swift (P) and for the brief period I have driven the car I feel the engine has become more smoother and lively.

The 40 grade is thicker and post 2k RPM the car would feel sluggish. I am yet to drive on a highway but I can only already make out the engine feels much better. The car came factory filled with 0W20 the greedy dealer used to fill 0w40 as it is more expensive. Also the dealer supplied oil will breakdown by 10 months or so. The car is nearly out of warranty so I changed the oil from FNG this time.
Old 7th February 2024, 09:27   #6132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A thicker 30 like this Amsoil vs 40 weight isn’t that much of a difference
Kindly help me understand what you meant by 'thicker 30' in the above sentence. Did you mean (a) or (b) or (c)

(a) 30 is thicker than something like 20
(b) comparing the same xW30 across diff manufacturers, the thickness varies (diff Viscosity index numbers 'around' a mean value), of which Amsoil is thicker compared to others.
(c) _____________ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Also the dealer supplied oil will breakdown by 10 months or so.
Generally, I look for the TBN number in the engg spec of an oil, which is a good indicator of 'how much synthetic-ness' is present in an oil advertised as fully synthetic. That said, there are oils where I haven't been able to find a TBN number for, for example Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. I haven't found on the internet, a TBN number for this oil.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 17:03   #6133
BHPian

Quote:
The oil grade numbers are marked for 0 degrees & 100 degrees celsius. Barring the far North regions of India, most areas usually hit at least 35 to 40 degrees at some or other time of the year and don't usually go below 5 degrees in winters. Modern engine oils don't flinch at such temperatures whatsoever.

Also, your concern is about moving up the number which can definitely be done without a second thought. 5W30 is still a pretty thin oil and only if the temperature routinely dips below zero a lot, you'll need to worry about it. Otherwise, you can even safely put in 10WXX or even 15WXX oils with no negative effects. Thicker oils usually translate to a smoother (but a slightly held-back) performance.

The switch which you should not do however, is from a thin oil to an even thinner oil because that can cause damage to the cylinders.

Further, no matter what you do, just make sure that your car's cooling system works like new everyday, all day.
that_sedate_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 17:48   #6134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Kindly help me understand what you meant by 'thicker 30' in the above sentence. Did you mean (a) or (b) or (c)
Even more than tbn there are kinematic viscosity, pour point .. and especially for high torque diesels, HTHS
Old 8th February 2024, 22:55   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But they will surely have their workhorse oil (MGO) in that spec and it will be semi synthetic. Better use that oil and it will be good for 10k km or one year. If you wish, change every six months, but avoid filling a higher viscocity oil, unless it is acceptable according to your service manual. More than one spec will usually be mentioned. Else if they are okay with oil sourced from outside, you can buy 0W20 full synthetic and give them.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks