Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2023, 22:37   #6091

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can even get a semi synthetic 15w40 in petrol/diesel or diesel only.

This one is branded "diesel" only for marketing purposes because people associate 15w40 with just diesel. It is acea a3b4 so suitable for petrol cars as well, and is semi synthetic by Castrol. In the kind of heat India has the "40" part of 15w40 is all that counts. 5w 0w 15w will all come into play at far below zero temperatures like in eg Spiti.

https://www.amazon.in/Castrol-MAGNAT.../dp/B00PMZYQV2
I've been using that exact semi-synthetic oil on my Safari Dicor since 2014, but I've been considering a change, 15w40 isn't available as fully synthetic. I recently switched my Tfort to Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, and it's performing well. However, I am bit apprehensive about using it in my Dicor.
Old 18th August 2023, 08:47   #6092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
I've been using that exact semi-synthetic oil on my Safari Dicor since 2014, but I've been considering a change, 15w40 isn't available as fully synthetic. I recently switched my Tfort to Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, and it's performing well. However, I am bit apprehensive about using it in my Dicor.
For your Safari just get a CK4 semi or full synthetic. Castrol CRB Turbomax Plus 15w40 is a very good semi synthetic CK4 (and I'm currently running it in an Endeavour).
Old 12th September 2023, 15:32   #6093
Senior - BHPian

For ordering engine oils from Amazon/Flipkart, are there any preferred dealers in the respective sites? Any dealers to avoid? Please comment. I wish to order Helix Ultra 5W40, since it is not available at Shell stations any more.
Old 12th September 2023, 15:39   #6094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
For ordering engine oils from Amazon/Flipkart, are there any preferred dealers in the respective sites? Any dealers to avoid? Please comment. I wish to order Helix Ultra 5W40, since it is not available at Shell stations any more.
Any seller through whom the product is 'Amazon fulfilled' should be okay. It'll be easier to deal with returns/replacements if the need arises. This is pertaining to ordering from Amazon. I'm not too sure about flipkart and would personally go the Amazon way!

Hope this helps,
Piyush.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 17:08   #6095
BHPian

Quote:
Would never recommend Flipkart to anyone, with amazon experience has been sort of mixed bag as my latest purchase of 0w20 Castrol had an open bottle cap which most probably happened at warehouse level done by some unscrupulous employee to retrieve the Mechanic coupon tag. Even though amazon refunded me, i will stick to boodmo for such purchases. I have been regularly ordering with boodmo and never experienced such "chindi chori"
revvharder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 18:05   #6096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Would never recommend Flipkart to anyone, with amazon experience has been sort of mixed bag as my latest purchase of 0w20 Castrol had an open bottle cap which most probably happened at warehouse level done by some unscrupulous employee to retrieve the Mechanic coupon tag. Even though amazon refunded me, i will stick to boodmo for such purchases. I have been regularly ordering with boodmo and never experienced such "chindi chori"
For engine oils at least I just keep ordering from trusted local stores these days after trying both Amazon and Flipkart. Two cars with high usage so 3-4 oil changes a year.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 20:46   #6097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
For engine oils at least I just keep ordering from trusted local stores these days after trying both Amazon and Flipkart. Two cars with high usage so 3-4 oil changes a year.
Can you PM the address of the trusted stores? Is that GP Road dealer back in action?
Old 12th September 2023, 20:51   #6098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you PM the address of the trusted stores? Is that GP Road dealer back in action?
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8QNGsybCb89MFP9N6?g_st=ic

Shop called “spares and tyres” in GP road

The landmark is that Irani tea shop - go into the lane next to it (past ML Automobiles the Mahindra parts dealer) and at the dead end, turn right. This shop is there on your left, two or three shops down that right turn.

Don’t try to get a vehicle in - even scooters will find it difficult if another scooter comes from the other side. Take an auto to gp road and then walk down.

The shop you refer to - vms oil distributors - closed down a good while back.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 20:55   #6099
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks. I will get it through someone going to Mount Road daily. If I have to go I will take the Metro train to LIC and walk from there.
Old 25th September 2023, 23:48   #6100
BHPian

Is it fine to use 200 ml 5w30 fully synthetic oil kept in closed can for 2 years (excess leftover in 3.5 lt can). This needs to be added to fresh 3 lt oil of.same type for oil change.

Also, is it fine to fill the oil upto middle mark of the dipstick if the engine consumes no oil at all (Suzuki k series petrol, 55k kms)?
Old 26th September 2023, 10:11   #6101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
Is it fine to use 200 ml 5w30 fully synthetic oil kept in closed can for 2 years. Also, is it fine to fill the oil upto middle mark of the dipstick if the engine consumes no oil at all
If the can was kept tightly closed, no problem. I change oil every year and consume the left over from the previous year, keeping some left over from the current year purchase. But two years won't be an issue provided it is within expiry period.

My car consumes no oil too, and I have always filled till the upper level mark every year. Had no issues.

While servicing MSM guys will exactly measure and pour 2.7 litres only. But when I check the level next morning it will be short of the upper level mark, and I will top up from my stock. Nothing has happened.
Old 26th September 2023, 12:36   #6102
BHPian

Quote:
If the can was kept tightly closed, no problem. I change oil every year and consume the left over from the previous year, keeping some left over from the current year purchase. But two years won't be an issue provided it is within expiry period.

My car consumes no oil too, and I have always filled till the upper level mark every year. Had no issues.

While servicing MSM guys will exactly measure and pour 2.7 litres only. But when I check the level next morning it will be short of the upper level mark, and I will top up from my stock. Nothing has happened.
Thanks. I have been reading and people say if oil is opened for over 2 years don't use, but I guess adding 100-200 ml shouldn't be a problem.

I think it's best to keep the level at 3/4th if no oil is consumed and you monitor under car stains at your parking spot and check level every quarter.
Old 26th September 2023, 13:44   #6103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of oil circulates around the engine and is retained by the filter so that you don’t need to do this, overfilling oil by frequent top ups won’t be necessary and in fact might clog your pcv valve, leading to poor mileage, engine smoke etc.
Old 2nd November 2023, 17:53   #6104
BHPian

Synthetic oil experts, This may have been asked before on this thread, but still checking to find out any latest, better options for synthetic oils.

Car: Toyota Fortuner older 3L D4D model (current mileage is 58K KMs)
Engine Oil suggested as per user manual: SAE 5W-30
Grade: Equivalent following grade & viscosity: API CF-4, CF or ACEA B1
Toyota replace their Engine oils at 10K intervals

Looking for fully synthetic oils. Is Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 a good alternative? Its spec says SAE 5W-40 API SN, ACEA A3/B3/B4.

Or any other better alternatives? And I hope I can retain the 10K oil change intervals for these synthetic oils also.

Thanks in advance.

cheers,
narayanang76
Old 4th November 2023, 05:44   #6105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Car: Toyota Fortuner older 3L D4D model (current mileage is 58K KMs)
Engine Oil suggested as per user manual: SAE 5W-30
Grade: Equivalent following grade & viscosity: API CF-4, CF or ACEA B1
Toyota replace their Engine oils at 10K intervals
You can use acea b5 or rather a5b5 which is the updated spec to b1, and the spec of most 5w30 oils out there.

You can use acea a3b4 which is the spec of most 5w40 oils and also of shell helix hx8 / shell helix taxi in 5w30

You can use api ck4 which updates cf4 and this is a heavy duty diesel spec. Unless you’re in spiti or somewhere below -20 C, you can happily use 15w40 or 10w30 as at normal Indian temperatures it’s only the 40 part that comes into the picture.

I would just pick a robust ck4 spec diesel specific oil rather than a5b5 which is specified for fuel economy reasons. In other words the sort of mineral (or synthetic / semi synthetic as well) oils that sell in big 7.5 to 20 litre buckets. I’m using Castrol CRB Turbomax Plus 15w40 ck4 on my endeavour and the experience has been positive.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks