Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 04:14   #6076
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
Hello members,
I have been getting my 2017 Baleno RS 1.0 serviced regularly by Nexa. In all the services they have used MGO 5W-30 (shell) engine oil..
It isn’t going to make that much difference for your running. Shell is quite good so stick to it.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:11   #6077
Senior - BHPian

Ordered the Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 Fully Synthetic oil for my Ecosport TDCi yesterday and got a April 2022 manufactured batch. Since 1L cans are not available, had to order 2 3.5L cans with the second can to be stored for the next service.

I know oil has a shelf life of 5 years and hence this should not be a problem. Since the second can will be opened for the 300 odd ml needed, any specific steps to be taken for storage ? Planning to tape up the cap to ensure an air tight seal.
Old 19th June 2023, 12:58   #6078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I know oil has a shelf life of 5 years and hence this should not be a problem. Since the second can will be opened for the 300 odd ml needed, any specific steps to be taken for storage ? Planning to tape up the cap to ensure an air tight seal.
You can tape it but in my experience you may not need to use the second can as 100% oil won’t drain out of your sump. So if you drain and fill 3.5 you should mostly be OK for oil level to be between min and max (no need to fill up to the max level or above it, that’s bad for the engine)
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 16:33   #6079

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Tomorrow, will be taking both my cars for oil service, Safari Dicor gets the remaining 7.5 litres from the above can and Ciaz Petrol gets the Mobil 3000 X1 FS oil.
Tata has been providing Mobil 3000 0w20FS oil in Nexon. Its a very good oil considering less refined petrol engine.

For any Maruti it works wonder.

Did you use Shell Helix Ultra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
Hello members,
I have been getting my 2017 Baleno RS 1.0 serviced regularly by Nexa. In all the services they have used MGO 5W-30 (shell) engine oil. Few people outside Tbhp have said Amsoil signature series is fantastic and it’s worth trying. The one I currently have is also Fully synthetic oil as well. Will there be such a huge difference or is it better to stick on to MGO oil/ Shell 5W-30.
Shell Fully synthetic is one of the best in the market and glad MS is offering it for their flagship engine.

Better to stick to it, than unnecessary experimenting.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd June 2023 at 16:56. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts
Old 5th July 2023, 11:21   #6080
BHPian

Hello members,

Need some advise
I have a 2017 dzire petrol driven 33k, I have been servicing at Mondovi every year irrespective of kms run. Ever engine oil change has been with 0w-20 Castrol (mineral) and the car has been smooth and wonderful to drive.

During my last Service @30K, ASC replaced with W5-30 Synthetic Castrol. When asked SA informed its semi synth and will be good and need not worry.

Now I have driven around 3000 KMs (long dives) since this change and i feel the engine is very rough, higher engine sound, milage drop along with pickup drop as well.
I am very worried and would want to fix this..

Need experts advise on below my option :

1. Change engine oil and get back to 0W-20 - mineral ?
2. Change to Fully synthetic ( Shell \ Motul \ Mobil1) and change oil every 10K only ?
3. Or Add engine addective to current oil and switch after remining 6K-7K of KMS ?

Also please advise otherwise if my thinking above incorrect.

TIA
Old 5th July 2023, 16:17   #6081
Senior - BHPian

Any 0w20 is likely to be fully synthetic and not mineral

For a 2017 dzire petrol just use a good synthetic 5w30 after you've run your semi synthetic for enough km, maybe change after another 2k kilometers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munishsurendra View Post
Hello members,

I have a 2017 dzire petrol driven 33k, I have been servicing at Mondovi every year irrespective of kms run. Ever engine oil change has been with 0w-20 Castrol (mineral) and the car has been smooth and wonderful to drive.

During my last Service @30K, ASC replaced with W5-30 Synthetic Castrol.
Old 5th July 2023, 21:49   #6082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Any 0w20 is likely to be fully synthetic and not mineral
Would 0w20 cause any issues in the summer? Hyundai ASC used 0w20 in my old i20 and Xcent this time even though the car manual and company website state using 5w30 in both cars.
Old 5th July 2023, 22:07   #6083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Would 0w20 cause any issues in the summer? Hyundai ASC used 0w20 in my old i20 and Xcent this time even though the car manual and company website state using 5w30 in both cars.
I'd not say yes or no if it'd cause an issue immediately, but in the longer run it is definitely not recommended. As a thinner oil than what is recommended wouldn't form a thick enough film which may lead to metal-to-metal contact. That of course is the outright theory part of it and a lot may vary at operating conditions.

However, using a thinner oil than the manufacturer's recommendation is almost always advised against. A slightly thicker oil shouldn't cause much of an issue, and may even reduce the engine noise a tad bit albeit with a slightly worse FE and probably some sluggishness.

I'd suggest you switch to a 5W30 oil as mentioned in your user's manual at the earliest.

Hope this helps!
Piyush.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2023 at 23:41. Reason: As requested
Old 6th July 2023, 06:58   #6084
Senior - BHPian

Thinner but typically with a more robust additive package. Run it at least 5000 km and then check if your car remains smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post
I'd not say yes or no if it'd cause an issue immediately, but in the longer run it is definitely not recommended. As a thinner oil than what is recommended wouldn't form a thick enough film which may lead to metal-to-metal contact. That of course is the outright theory part of it and a lot may vary at operating conditions.

However, using a thinner oil than the manufacturer's recommendation is almost always advised against. A slightly thicker oil shouldn't cause much of an issue, and may even reduce the engine noise a tad bit albeit with a slightly worse FE and probably some sluggishness.

I'd suggest you switch to a 5W30 oil as mentioned in your user's manual at the earliest.

Hope this helps!
Piyush.
Old 6th July 2023, 08:02   #6085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munishsurendra View Post
During my last Service @30K, ASC replaced with W5-30 Synthetic Castrol. When asked SA informed its semi synth and will be good and need not worry.
Check your car's manual. There will be several recommendations regarding engine oil, for several conditions. If you search, 5W30 also might be mentioned in it. If it is there, the current oil they have filled will definitely not cause any issues, and you can go back to 5w20 during the next oil change. If it is not there, change the oil soon.

For example I have attached the relevant page from the manual of my 2009 Alto. The recommended "one size fits all" oil is 20W40. But it can also use other weight oils under different climatic conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20230706_074447.jpg  

Old 6th July 2023, 11:32   #6086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post
I'd not say yes or no if it'd cause an issue immediately, but in the longer run it is definitely not recommended.

As a thinner oil than what is recommended wouldn't form a thick enough film which may lead to metal-to-metal contact. That of course is the outright theory part of it and a lot may vary at operating conditions.

I absolutely AGREE with you Piyush! In fact, this is why I'm appalled to see that the company's ASC deviated from the manual. Excluding enthusiasts, few of us get into such finer details and while ASCs come with their own set of , one would expect them to AT LEAST use the recommended grade of material and oils when servicing a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Thinner but typically with a more robust additive package. Run it at least 5000 km and then check if your car remains smooth.
Engine smoothness is at its pinnacle, albeit a bit of loss in power causing higher revving and later upshifting than usual.
Old 7th July 2023, 14:16   #6087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Engine smoothness is at its pinnacle, albeit a bit of loss in power causing higher revving and later upshifting than usual.
Neither 5w30 nor 0w20 is going to harm your engine. Use it to the manufacturer recommended interval or change slightly earlier and you should be fine.
Old 17th August 2023, 17:21   #6088

Hello everyone, my Vehicle Owner's Manual lists recommended oil viscosities as 0W30, 5W30, and 15W40, but it doesn't mention 5W40. Since 5W30 feels a bit tight in Hot Indian Climate, I'm thinking about switching to a fully synthetic 5W40 oil (Currently on 15w40). Do you think this will cause any problem ?

Considering 5W40 oil falls within the range of viscosities that my vehicle's manual specifies (0W30, 5W30, 15W40)
Old 17th August 2023, 18:37   #6089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Considering 5W40 oil falls within the range of viscosities that my vehicle's manual specifies (0W30, 5W30, 15W40)
The car can safely take 0W40/5W40/10W40/15W40 without any issues. My recommended oil is 20W40 and I have been using full synthetic 0W40 for many years now. Before that it was on semi synthetic 10W40.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 19:46   #6090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Hello everyone, my Vehicle Owner's Manual lists recommended oil viscosities as 0W30, 5W30, and 15W40, but it doesn't mention 5W40. Since 5W30 feels a bit tight in Hot Indian Climate, I'm thinking about switching to a fully synthetic 5W40 oil (Currently on 15w40). Do you think this will cause any problem ?

You can even get a semi synthetic 15w40 in petrol/diesel or diesel only.

This one is branded "diesel" only for marketing purposes because people associate 15w40 with just diesel. It is acea a3b4 so suitable for petrol cars as well, and is semi synthetic by Castrol. In the kind of heat India has the "40" part of 15w40 is all that counts. 5w 0w 15w will all come into play at far below zero temperatures like in eg Spiti.

https://www.amazon.in/Castrol-MAGNAT.../dp/B00PMZYQV2

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks