Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 18:27   #5536
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Thanks Hserus for the valuable information but it would be more knowledgable if you throw some light upon older or new classifications and what is the difference between them.
Also how A3/B4 is different from A5/B5 etc.
Old 31st July 2020, 18:56   #5537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Thanks Hserus for the valuable information but it would be more knowledgable if you throw some light upon older or new classifications and what is the difference between them.
Also how A3/B4 is different from A5/B5 etc.
https://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php
https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php
Old 31st July 2020, 19:10   #5538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Come on The Endeavour, Innova, Fortuner have even larger displacement diesel engines and all three of them use 5w30 oils. You don't really "need" HDEO (API C* diesel and ACEA E* extended drain specs) unless you're operating a heavy truck.
Mahindra Maximile is meant for 20,000 Kms like the extended drain you mentioned. Tata Ace, Hexa etc uses 15W40, Bolero? 15W40 but an older spec. Hexa also has 20,000 KM drain interval, in comparison Nexon uses a thinner oil and has shorter drain interval.

However i`m not suggesting that a heavier weight oil necessarily has longer drain interval , i`m sure there are more factors involved in how an engine is designed with certain oil type - including running costs.

I remember the older Toyotas - Innovas & Fortuners using '40' weight , not sure of the new ones owners can chip in.
Old 31st July 2020, 19:32   #5539
Senior - BHPian

C3 supports extended drain and moreover Feo is stuffed with detergent additives to disperse soot

ACEA C3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPa*s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Mahindra Maximile is meant for 20,000 Kms like the extended drain you mentioned. Tata Ace, Hexa etc uses 15W40, Bolero? 15W40 but an older spec. Hexa also has 20,000 KM drain interval, in comparison Nexon uses a thinner oil and has shorter drain interval.

However i`m not suggesting that a heavier weight oil necessarily has longer drain interval , i`m sure there are more factors involved in how an engine is designed with certain oil type - including running costs.

I remember the older Toyotas - Innovas & Fortuners using '40' weight , not sure of the new ones owners can chip in.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 19:55   #5540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The main issue is the price MSM will charge, and the fact the oil will mostly sit in the sump because of the sparse usage now. But I am going with Mobil1,
Car has come back. They have billed Rs 2940.25 for 2.7 litres,@ Rs 1088.98 per litre including tax. They are buying in barrels and definitely will not be paying this much. Last year I bought 3 X 1 litre packs of Helix Ultra for around Rs 2250.00

But billing only for quantity used is somewhat better. Earlier they used to sell only in 4 litre cans. We will have to carry the unused quantity.

Edit: I have about 200 ml of Helix Ultra leftover from last year's service. Can I use it for top up now if necessary? It is 5W40.

Last edited by Gansan : 31st July 2020 at 20:03.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 22:14   #5541
BHPian

I have a May 2016 Manufactured Creta Diesel. All the services till date were carried out at Hyundai A.S.S with Shell Helix synthetic oil.

For 70k service interval, I have ordered Amsoil Turbo Truck 5W-40 as I plan to get it change at FNG. As this oil is CK-4 and have backward compatibility with CH-4 and I do not want to fill any 15w-40 CH-4 oil.

We usually keep our vehicles for long period, say 10+ years.

Creta is primarily used for highway runs, so can I extend the my next Oil change interval by 11k or 12k ? Or should I stick to 10k interval ?
Old 31st July 2020, 22:47   #5542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Creta is primarily used for highway runs, so can I extend the my next Oil change interval by 11k or 12k ? Or should I stick to 10k interval ?
With premium synthetics like the one you have ordered, you can change oil drain intervals to 15,000 kms especially if the car is primarily used for long distance highway runs.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2020 at 21:45. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Rshrey22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 06:04   #5543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
With premium synthetics like the one you have ordered, you can change oil drain intervals to 15,000 kms especially if the car is primarily used for long distance highway runs.
In my experience with a 80-20 mix of highway and city driving in my Scorpio, Amsoil lasted around 13k km before it started to feel a bit rough. I could have stretched it another two thousand km but changed after that.

Feo is rated to 20k but if you do any city driving at all you'd be well advised to change at 10k.

Why use the much more expensive Amsoil then? Because it managed the amazing feat of making the Scorpio engine run smoothly and reduced NVH levels from the engine.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 08:22   #5544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Why use the much more expensive Amsoil then? Because it managed the amazing feat of making the Scorpio engine run smoothly and reduced NVH levels from the engine.
If I do my Math, Amsoil Turbo trucks works out to be cheaper at Rs.720/- per litre compared to Hyundai shell synthetic oil that costed Rs.924/- per litre.

I have ordered one can of 3.78 litres and two cans of 946 ml that's approximately 5.6 litres, will pour in 5.2 litres this time and keep 400ml for next service so that I have to only order one can each of 3.78 litres and 946 ml.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 1st August 2020 at 08:24.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:20   #5545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Engine Oil is not the only thing inspected or changed during service intervals, therefore if you are following manufacturer recommend servicing schedule please make sure oil is changed in accordance with the same schedule.

The charges for a 40K (example) service will include changing oil and related consumables, if you skip this and change it 5000 kms down the line, you will be paying additional money and gain nothing in return.

There is more -
We can change the oil to extended drain that lasts beyond the company recommend 10K kms, how about the oil filter?
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 11:42   #5546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We can change the oil to extended drain that lasts beyond the company recommend 10K kms, how about the oil filter?
Car forums the world over have endless debates on oil. What is the best oil, why, synthetic versus mineral. I have said it many times; go with the manufacturer recommendation and you are good to go. But oil filters are probably one of the least talked about topics on car forums.

Truth is that the company recommended oil change is more relevant for the filter than for the oil. The oil will easily last longer without any problems in most cases. Not so much for the oil filter. Always get the best oil filter money can buy!

The problem is specification. As I said, with oil you just need to look up the company recommendation. Very little in terms of specification is available when it comes down to oil filters. You can buy company oil filter, which is a safe way or just buy the most expensive on offer.

There a lots of YouTube out there where guys cut up the oil filters to compare:

So always have the oil filter replaced along side the oil change!

Whereas you really can’t judge oil visually, you can with filters. Check out my thread on fiddling with cars. I usually cut open the oil filter after an oil/filter change. You will be amazed how much muck can be in it after a relative short period of time/mileage!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 1st August 2020 at 11:45.
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 12:17   #5547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Edit: I have about 200 ml of Helix Ultra leftover from last year's service. Can I use it for top up now if necessary? It is 5W40.
Yes, you can provided the can was stored in a cool dry place with the cap tightly screwed on

Quote:
We usually keep our vehicles for long period, say 10+ years. Creta is primarily used for highway runs, so can I extend the my next Oil change interval by 11k or 12k ? Or should I stick to 10k interval ?
Given you intend keeping the cars for a long time I would still recommend you change the oil and Hyundai's recommended interval. An annual oil change/service is a small portion of the overall cost of owning and driving a car. Don't skimp on the one thing that determines the longevity and performance of your engine.

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st August 2020 at 12:21. Reason: added reply
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 15:09   #5548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

The problem is specification. As I said, with oil you just need to look up the company recommendation. Very little in terms of specification is available when it comes down to oil filters. You can buy company oil filter, which is a safe way or just buy the most expensive on offer.

I usually cut open the oil filter after an oil/filter change. You will be amazed how much muck can be in it after a relative short period of time/mileage!

Jeroen
Yes oil filter is just as important as the oil itself, even the most expensive oil will not be able to do its job if the filter is clogged up, for extended drain the filter as well needs to be rated at that number of KMs, large enough to hold the dirt and yet maintain flow rate among many other things.

The US market specifically loves DIY, they have a massive aftermarket catering to these DIYers. Here in India the OE may as well be the most expensive option for most consumables - exceptions are engine oil and air filters and brake pads.

I have seen aftermarket technicians just walk in with whatever filter which would fit the thread, some less than the size (length) of OE filter just because it says Bosch on them instead of MGP and the customer also feels good, hey I got a German filter!!
Old 1st August 2020, 16:23   #5549
Senior - BHPian

If you are entirely confident the oil is good, you could replace the oil filter once closer to the 8000 mark and top up any oil that is lost during the filter change.

Not the safest thing to do without used oil analysis in a lab, just touching the oil and making guesses on its quality might not be a good idea.

Quote:
Yes oil filter is just as important as the oil itself, even the most expensive oil will not be able to do its job if the filter is clogged up, for extended drain the filter as well needs to be rated at that number of KMs, large enough to hold the dirt and yet maintain flow rate among many other things.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 01:11   #5550
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
Would like to bring to everyone's notice that there's another International brand that brought it's products to India. It's Rowe Lubricants.
From the website it seems like they have specific brand approvals such as VW and BMW.
They also offer very new grades such as 0W-20 and 0W-16. Another thing that they offer is the 75W-80 GL4/5 grade Transmission Oil which is quite difficult to source in India.

Here are some of the screenshots:-

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-rowe-homepage.png

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-rowe-1.png

Name:  Rowe 2.png
Views: 1047
Size:  115.3 KB

They sell through EuroLiquidsIndia. I came to know about them through Instagram.

NOTE- I am in no way associated with any of the above mentioned brands. I found them on Instagram while searching for different oil brands and thus decided to share about them.
abhi9044 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks