Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:08   #3016
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Is there any reliable study or data about synthetic oils significantly increasing engine as compared to mineral oils?
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:30   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Maruti recommends the Mobil range and the same is available at their workshops. Further they will change the synthetic only after 10K. This was experienced recently when our driver took the Zxi for service. The adviser while handing over the car in the evening told him "oil not changed but will do so on next service" The MSM garage in New Delhi were able to access the service history of the vehicle via their centralised computer network and see that oil filled the last time around in Poona was Mobil1 and they let it be. Typing this I can only hope that they did check the levels etc. which I believe they would have as even a quarter liter top up would cost a pretty penny + labour would further make it worth their while.
Actually, I missed a point here. M/S recommends mineral oil change in both Swift diesel and petrol at 10k kms. Now, is it same interval for synthetic too. My brother in law (sister's husband) has a swift diesel and he gets service done every 10k kms. We too get our swift petrol serviced every 10k kms, both cars run on mineral oil..I believe 10k kms is less an interval for petrols, should be 15k in case of synthetic. For diesels, yes, 10k is still an appropriate interval even in case of synthetic.

And you are right, Maruti has a GSM server which connects all service data across the country. So, its very easy for any ASC to check the complete service history of the car .

In between, how much have you clocked on the cedia since synthetic oil change? I have done 7k plus and the oil still retains its original colour, though a shade darker. I feel it can easily do 15k kms. But I had to top up 400ml after 7k kms. Something to do with synthetic, that an engine which never consumed oil started doing so after synthetic change . Polo and Civic though have been consistent at same...lolzzz

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd June 2011 at 13:36.
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:48   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Actually, I missed a point here. M/S recommends mineral oil change in both Swift diesel and petrol at 10k kms. Now, is it same interval for synthetic too.
The recommended interval is 10,000 KM or one year, whichever is earlier. 12 months is the absolute limit, be the oil synthetic or mineral.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:42   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
12 months is the absolute limit, be the oil synthetic or mineral.
That goes without saying dear.

Quote:
Is there any reliable study or data about synthetic oils significantly increasing engine as compared to mineral oils?

I read this article from JD Power some time back. certainly worth a read.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...ic-Motor-Oils/

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd June 2011 at 15:45.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:01   #3020
BHPian

Thanks Khoj
I missed out doing the synth change at 10K but will ensure it is done from 15K. Asides the dealer was also a good acquaintance as had got him leads for atleast 5-6 cars from my office for the corporate plan.
By the way I always go the Maruti Service Masters workshop and hope they will have the synth oil.

rgds
Prasad
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:10   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not aware of any study/data on the above but can say with conviction that there is a remarkable difference in the engine performance when you switch over from mineral to synthetic oil. I switched over from regular MGO to Mobil 1 (5W 50) for my Esteem at around 20K kms and my engine is butter smooth.
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:42   #3022
BHPian

Hi, I will be giving my car (SX4 AT) for 3rd service next week. In the first service, I was asked to switch to Synthetic oil by my dealer. I did not notice any difference in the engine refinement or performance. How do I ascertain that only synthetic oil was changed? Can I buy the oil myself and get it replaced in my presence? Finally, what brand of oil would you recommend? I see that Shell helix and Mobil 1 are the best choices. Somebody with an SX4, please share your experience, will be really helpful.
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:48   #3023
Senior - BHPian

The first thing which I did after buying the Mazda Protege was to change its oil and filter.
Put in Mobil 1 synth 10w30 High Mileage with Fram extended guard (10000 miles protection) filter. The mileage then was around 131120 miles. Its now 134xxx miles. I should change oil + filter again next January - as my running is not that high - just office commute.
In winter it takes just a moment more to start up - but sounds smooth and refined once rolling.

Last edited by blackasta : 23rd June 2011 at 23:49.
Old 24th June 2011, 03:03   #3024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
In between, how much have you clocked on the cedia since synthetic oil change? I have done 7k plus and the oil still retains its original colour, though a shade darker. I feel it can easily do 15k kms. But I had to top up 400ml after 7k kms. Something to do with synthetic, that an engine which never consumed oil started doing so after synthetic change . Polo and Civic though have been consistent at same...lolzzz
My Blue Streak too has about 7K + under its belt since the last service and the oil level is still good all the way around the top mark on the dip stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Thanks Khoj
By the way I always go the Maruti Service Masters workshop and hope they will have the synth oil.
rgds
Prasad
Hi Prasad,

Do share the contact details for the MSM that you visit. The only ones that I am aware of are the two in Delhi and the designated MSM (Thanawalla) in Thane.

Regards
khoj
Old 24th June 2011, 08:48   #3025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoli
Hi, I will be giving my car (SX4 AT) for 3rd service next week. In the first service, I was asked to switch to Synthetic oil by my dealer. I did not notice any difference in the engine refinement or performance. How do I ascertain that only synthetic oil was changed? Can I buy the oil myself and get it replaced in my presence? Finally, what brand of oil would you recommend? I see that Shell helix and Mobil 1 are the best choices. Somebody with an SX4, please share your experience, will be really helpful.
I've had the 2nd servicing done at 5000kms for my SX4 ZDi.
Maruti recommends only synthetic oil for this car, which was duly changed during the 1st service.
The service advisor has told me that the oil change will only be done at the next 15k km service.
Is ur AT a diesel ? If yes then ur query is answered.

And yes, they did fill in Mobil 1.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:07   #3026
BHPian

Hi Prasad,

Do share the contact details for the MSM that you visit. The only ones that I am aware of are the two in Delhi and the designated MSM (Thanawalla) in Thane.

Regards
khoj[/quote]

Hi Khoj
The MSM workshop is in Chennai Guindy and have been a regular since last 5-6yrs,in fact their bills are in name of JJ impex New Delhi. Am sure that many of our fellow T-BHP of Chennai will be aware and also they have started one in BLR (near to Electronic city,or thereabouts)
Pl let know in case of further info needed.

rgds
Prasad
Old 24th June 2011, 12:49   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
I've had the 2nd servicing done at 5000kms for my SX4 ZDi.
Maruti recommends only synthetic oil for this car, which was duly changed during the 1st service.
The service advisor has told me that the oil change will only be done at the next 15k km service.
Is ur AT a diesel ? If yes then ur query is answered.

And yes, they did fill in Mobil 1.

As I remember, the recommended oil change interval for a mineral oil as recommended by Maruti in the manual is 10K kms. It is a normal ploy by most MASSs to say that you need to change oil every 5K kms. While it is a good practice considering the quality of Servo which Maruti uses, recommendation by Maruti as in the manual is 10K for oil change.

For synthetics, typically people say that you can double the oil change interval. So theritically it should be 20K kms, or atleast 15K. If they filled Synth at 1K, you can safely go to 20K service. My personal opinion though.

Having said that, I change mineral at 7.5K with Delvac MX. If I use Synth, I may go to 15K, which I am thinking this time. I am due for 50K service for my swift.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:06   #3028
Senior - BHPian

^sri dont you think you change the oil quite late? 5k in dusty conditions as ours should really make the oil cry out loud and engine louder. For my ANHC I get the mineral oil changed every 5k. Engine runs as a dream. Cheers!
Old 24th June 2011, 14:08   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^sri dont you think you change the oil quite late? 5k in dusty conditions as ours should really make the oil cry out loud and engine louder. For my ANHC I get the mineral oil changed every 5k. Engine runs as a dream. Cheers!
With the regular oil yes, I used to feel 5K is the limit, but with Delvac MX I am able to stretch it to 7-8K. I was actually trying to stress upon the attitude of MASS people, that they contradict the writings in the manual and say that this is what Maruti recommends for you. I would feel better if they say, Maruti says X, but because of the driving conditions we feel this is better. And they top it up with conditions like warranty is void if you dont do this !
Old 24th June 2011, 14:55   #3030
Senior - BHPian

^ agreed. The A.S.S makes their own rules sometimes. Honda service wanted me to change to synthetic, once I did not budge, he said, Good call; mineral oil is good for the engine. Baffling. Thus it is good to know your engine and adapt to your own comfort rather than the given rule.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks