Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 18:40   #2431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Thanks Jaggu, mdesai_1981

Honda *** in Kochi says if Synthetic oil, replace at 10000km and ASS@Bangalore says irrespective of Synthetic/Stock, replace @5000 for all new CITYs
I feel if not 10000, we can extend it to 7000 and irrespective of Kms every 6months.
HallMark Honda- Thane told me recently that irrespective of the type of oil used (idemitsu synthetic or normal), the oil must be replaced at every 6 months or 5000 km interval whichever is earlier, for the warranty to be valid on ANHC. When I explained to them that my average running was less that 5K in 6 mths, they advised to stick to normal idemitsu (mineral) oil.
My conclusion:
If running is high - go for synthetic.
If running is low - go for normal

Last edited by psp62in : 21st March 2010 at 18:42.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:01   #2432
BHPian

Just got oil replaced again with synthetic, since i loved its smoothness and often I take my car for overnight travel. Let me see how is it going to perform after 5000km
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:50   #2433
BHPian

For my ANHC,in its second free service, engine oil was changed and they have used synthetic oil. Somewhere in this thread, I have read that during the initial run in period, synthetics shouldn't be used.My car has run only 1500 when oil change was done. Now, my doubt is,

(1) will this synthetic oil do some harm (since it was changed in 1500 km)
(2) should i downgrade to mineral (after an engine flush)
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:29   #2434
Team-BHP Support

Nope you can safely continue with synthetics, 1500 kms is a good initial runin, ensure you do an oil change by 6-7.5k kms.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:50   #2435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
For my ANHC,in its second free service, engine oil was changed and they have used synthetic oil. Somewhere in this thread, I have read that during the initial run in period, synthetics shouldn't be used.My car has run only 1500 when oil change was done. Now, my doubt is,

(1) will this synthetic oil do some harm (since it was changed in 1500 km)
(2) should i downgrade to mineral (after an engine flush)
Not to worry at all. If synthetics were to be used only after a certain amount of running, Honda would have continued with mineral in your new car. I verified the same thing from Toyota when I took my Altis for its free service in Oct 09.

At least complete the running in with with the factory fill oil and then change over to synth. No adverse effects. I've been using Shell synthetic for the past 5 months in my car and it is purring.

In fact Fiat Punto/Linea come with 5W-40 Selenia synthetic fill from the factory with drain intervals of 15K kms.

As an aside for others who use SHU - I went to buy a 1 litre can of Shell HU for a top up (always keep some). The distributor advised me that prices would rise quite sharply once the new package Helix Ultra is on the market.

Cheers!
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:50   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Property Charts for Mobil 1 Oils

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-syn_oil.jpg
Synthetic Oils from Mobil 1

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-min_oil.jpg
Mineral Oils from Mobil 1

I am adding the details to a spreadsheet. I will upload it here once I have the details of other oils. The data is taken from Mobil 1's website.

-Biju
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:52   #2437
Senior - BHPian

What is the shelf life of synthetic oil.

My local & the only shell petrol pump in Bombay has Shell helix dated "imported in OCT '08" is it OK use oil this old.

The other option is Mobil 1 which I perceive is not as good as Shell Helix. Are there any other options available locally?
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:38   #2438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What is the shelf life of synthetic oil.

My local & the only shell petrol pump in Bombay has Shell helix dated "imported in OCT '08" is it OK use oil this old.

The other option is Mobil 1 which I perceive is not as good as Shell Helix. Are there any other options available locally?
Most SHU cans are from old stock. They simply dont move fast enough due to the price. The oil should have been stored in a cool place. The can is sealed with a tin/plastic foil and if it is intact there's reason for moisture ingress. If you have doubts wait till the new stock comes in. It is due within a week and the Shell petrol pump can order it for you. According to the dealer here there's no difference in formulation but it comes in a new pack and a new higher price naturally.

Mobil1 or SHU is a matter of choice and you wont go wrong with either one.

If I had a choice with correct grades (M1 comes in 0w-40 and 5w-50 only, not recommended grades for my car) then M1 would be it. But I'm really happy with SHU and will stick to it till the day M1 comes in 10w-30 or 5w-40. No Mobil Synt S for me.

Cheers!
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:07   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The can is sealed with a tin/plastic foil and if it is intact there's reason for moisture ingress.
Sorry folks typo recognised after the 20 minute 'Edit' enabled window. Please read that as '...if it is intact there's NO reason for moisture ingress'

Cheers!
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:48   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Well we all know how these are stored out in the open!
The local Shell is also confirming new stocks by mid April by which time I and the car would be in Delhi and absolutely no chance of getting the SHU.
Any idea how old or new are the stocks available with the shell outlets just off the Bombay Pune expressway or even the one on Hinjewadi approach road. I will be travelling to Chinchwad next week and could make a quick Detour to these outlets. I believe there is a Shell outlet in Chinchwad too can anyone confirm that i,e the existance of the outlet in CWD & the stocks age. Inputs will be highly appreciated.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:10   #2441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Well we all know how these are stored out in the open!
The local Shell is also confirming new stocks by mid April by which time I and the car would be in Delhi and absolutely no chance of getting the SHU.
Any idea how old or new are the stocks available with the shell outlets just off the Bombay Pune expressway or even the one on Hinjewadi approach road. I will be travelling to Chinchwad next week and could make a quick Detour to these outlets. I believe there is a Shell outlet in Chinchwad too can anyone confirm that i,e the existance of the outlet in CWD & the stocks age. Inputs will be highly appreciated.
I had enquired near the Hinjewadi outlet only yesterday and they didnt have stock. Then I drove down to the dealer in the city to get my 1L top up can that dates back to end 2008. I am told that one of the reasons for the old stock is that there was no new supply because Shell changed the packaging which didnt enter the supply chain till very recently. Hence availability of the new packs will take another week.

I understand there may be just 1 litre cans available at the Tathawade outlet near Indira Instt. of Mgmt on the Pune Blr bypass after the e'way. But it WILL be old stock. If you want only new stock you can buy a can in Delhi once you travel there.

Rgds,
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:22   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton R2D2,

Delhi does not have a Shell outlet though there is a Mobil1 Service Center near my office in Delhi but no I will stick with Magnatec for the time being.
Old 24th March 2010, 02:50   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Below is a post that i had made on another thread on this forum querying synthetics for the getz crdi. thought I should post the same here.

I know that there is a school of thought on this forum that synthetic oil should be used only after 10,000km. I think the logic is that the increased lubrication hinders the breaking in of the engine.

not so sure about that, if the breaking in gets delayed- so what? it will take longer for the engine to settle down, but thats it. superior lubrication is superior lubrication, period.

synthetic oils are also said to get to various parts of the engine quicker than semisynthetic. there is also greater resistance to degradation of the oil.

bottom line- synthetic is better
my verna says so. am using castrol (semi synthetic)
my swift backs it up- mobil 1 fully synthetic

now, I have no numbers or concrete evidence to back me up. this is just going by how the cars feel after using the oil and how much smoke(or the lack of it)
@rippergeo, whose Getz CRDi thread would that be - link please?

My rocket is touching 17k now, and has been on Delvac MX until now. Want to feed her with synthetics 20k onwards. So Getz / Verna CRDi owners - what synthetics do you use / recommend? How much? And what is your oil change interval?
Old 24th March 2010, 08:15   #2444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@rippergeo, whose Getz CRDi thread would that be - link please?

My rocket is touching 17k now, and has been on Delvac MX until now. Want to feed her with synthetics 20k onwards. So Getz / Verna CRDi owners - what synthetics do you use / recommend? How much? And what is your oil change interval?
For more on diesel engine oils look here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

Cheers!
Old 24th March 2010, 15:28   #2445
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Attachment 313942
Synthetic Oils from Mobil 1

Attachment 313943
Mineral Oils from Mobil 1

I am adding the details to a spreadsheet. I will upload it here once I have the details of other oils. The data is taken from Mobil 1's website.

-Biju
Could someone please explain the significance of these numbers in layman terms? Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks