Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 20:30   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Stick to 5W50. 0W40 is for freezing temperatures.
Old 1st July 2009, 20:58   #1682
BHPian

63k kms corsa here ! Engine is very sweet for the first 3K kms after oil/filter change ( magnatec ) then becomes a bit coarse.

Mobil 1 or OWS synth dont fit my pocket , so I stick to magnatec every 5K kms ! In my view, oil change every 5K kms is a must, although some manufacturers reccomend oil change every 10K or 15K kms !!

Synthetic oil or not, frequent oil changes will keep the engine healthy for a long time
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:25   #1683
Senior - BHPian

^^^Changing engine oil way before its usable life is a real waste of good oil and money. Damn bad for the environment too!! I usually see 2 extremes... auto enthusiasts on sites like these that keep changing oil at the drop of a hat... and "normal" users who dont give a fig about their oil. Both extremes are bad in more ways than one.

Oils have evolved with longer/extended drain intervals... much longer than oils of just a few years ago. But it seems many are just determined not to benifit from it.
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:46   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
...... I stick to magnatec every 5K kms ! In my view, oil change every 5K kms is a must.....
I drained out the Magnatec from my Swift Vxi today after 9800km of use. Frankly, it looked like it could easily last for another 4-5k km. I do not torture my car, but it does take a lot of highway driving. 5k km changes seem excessive.
@vdiatech, perhaps you should explore the possibility of adding OWS 220 engine protector along with Magnatec.
I used Mobil1 for the first time today. What would be the correct replacement interval? Some people have suggested 20k km for fully synthetic is ok. I am inclined to replace it after 15k km or even 10k km.
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:57   #1685
Senior - BHPian

^^^ For Mobil 1 just stick to the drain period mentioned in your manual. If most of your driving is on highways in top gear, you could strech it 3- 4 k km beyond that.

So if the recommended interval is 10 k km, changing the Mobil 1 at 14 - 15 k km seems like a pretty safe bet.

However the only really accurate way to dertermine this is to go in for an oil analysis. If you are always going to use expensive fully synth oil I think its really worth it.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:54   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Changing engine oil way before its usable life is a real waste of good oil and money. Damn bad for the environment too!!.
True, I agree the possible damage to environment. I suppose this could be minimised by ensuring that used oil is safely disposed off by the mechanic, minimising the damage.
Causing damage to environment is a vast topic.
May be , we should stop driving cars, use electricity only for life saving purposes , stop flying in aircrafts , stop using plastic, go on sapling planting spree, use more of composte etc. I wonder if people who argue on environment aspect follow the above..

I try to do my bit by travelling to work by bus, have planted over 7 trees in my house, re-use bags at supermarket ( i never ask or use for new bags in shops ) , where possible I sort my trash for re-cycling, I use electricity only when required, dont leave elctronic things in stand by mode to name a few..

Last edited by vdiatech : 2nd July 2009 at 09:02.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:56   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I drained out the Magnatec from my Swift Vxi today after 9800km of use. Frankly, it looked like it could easily last for another 4-5k km. I do not torture my car, but it does take a lot of highway driving. 5k km changes seem excessive.
@vdiatech, perhaps you should explore the possibility of adding OWS 220 engine protector along with Magnatec.
I used Mobil1 for the first time today. What would be the correct replacement interval? Some people have suggested 20k km for fully synthetic is ok. I am inclined to replace it after 15k km or even 10k km.
true, it would probably last longer. My point was, the engine gets a bit coarse and hence the frequent change to keep it running smooth. Its not a nice feeling to drive the car when the engine gets ruff. Not questioning the life of the oil in engine..
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:35   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
true, it would probably last longer. My point was, the engine gets a bit coarse and hence the frequent change to keep it running smooth. Its not a nice feeling to drive the car when the engine gets ruff. Not questioning the life of the oil in engine..
Do not forget during a sevice a lot of other things also get attended to. Quite likely the smoother ride you are getting may have a mjor contribution from these.

As for drain intervals, do whatever you feel like, but do change oil at least once a year. The annual change is not dependent on mineral, semi synth or full synth.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:07   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
However the only really accurate way to dertermine this is to go in for an oil analysis.
How and where do I get this done? Any idea of the costs.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:15   #1690
Senior - BHPian

not worth it. For some reason my clipboard is not working , so cant paste links
Just google foe used oil analysis india. the tbhp thread is the first result
Old 2nd July 2009, 15:03   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
How and where do I get this done? Any idea of the costs.
Ya, just google it please. At least Valvoline seems to have this facility, in India. IIRC, the cost was around Rs. 1,000 (approx).

I think its quite worth it esp. if you are using expensive synthetic oil. You can get to know exactly how long you can use the oil for your kind of driving. The UOA will easily pay for itself by saving oil in future oil changes. And as a bonus you get to know the condition of your engine, etc.
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:48   #1692
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
That's precisely the point I was trying to make. I'm not a Fiat owner but if Fiat says 15,000 Km oil changes are ok - then I don't see why other cars that use the same engines (1.3 Multijet or the Fire petrol) can't have similar intervals.
Ideally, they should especially the Swift DDIS and the Indica Vista 1.3 Multijet. To the best of my knowledge, the other manufacturers are trying to play it as safe as possible (not required though) and get on with it.
May sound stupid but cant think of a better reason other than ignorance or negligence on the part of the other manufacturers.
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:06   #1693
Senior - BHPian

i think fiat wants to keep its cars as far away from their so called service centers as possible, and hence the extended oil change intervals
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:08   #1694
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i think fiat wants to keep its cars as far away from their so called service centers as possible, and hence the extended oil change intervals

HA..Ha...Well said mate...

Dilip
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:00   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Hyundai switched to Shell engine oil recently, Last time when i went for the oil change in my car they were promoting Shell helix and also mentioned that going forward hyundai will be using shell engine oil in their cars.
Not surprised. IOC is still API-SF (an obsolete grade) and Hyundai used Servo. You may have seen ads of API-SJ from BP (SJ is on its way out).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks