Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 19:05   #1396
BHPian

re: Power Horns!

When wiring a pair of trumpet horns with a relay - Should they be wired in series or parallel? Would that affect the loud-ness of the horns?
Old 13th March 2014, 14:00   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
When wiring a pair of trumpet horns with a relay - Should they be wired in series or parallel? Would that affect the loud-ness of the horns?
I would vote for parallel. Two reasons :

1) This would ensure that each horn receives the full 12V
2) In case one horn were to fail , the other would still continue to work.
Old 18th March 2014, 02:51   #1398
BHPian

i got myself a pair of hella twin tone red trumpets for 650 in my verna fluidic. Solves my purpose
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:27   #1399
BHPian

I am having issues with the horns in my i20. When the car runs on uneven roads, the sound from the horn sounds like single tone and after sometime it becomes normal. Again when the car runs on uneven roads the problem recurs. Please let me know which horn would be best fit for Hyundai i20. I do frequent highway drives hence horns are very important to me. Please suggest.

Where in Bangalore can I get hold of Hella Supertone Red Grill horns and how would it cost? Please suggest me a good place in Banglaore to fit Hella Supertone Red Grills.

Last edited by sabsubs : 23rd March 2014 at 12:31.
Old 5th April 2014, 19:18   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Bosch has introduced a new limited edition of Fanfare Wafer Horn for the PC segment. This may be available at Bosch Distributors or Bosch Car Service and not in smaller shops for its price and Limited Edition USP. Details are as under.

Doc1.docx
Old 19th August 2014, 00:33   #1401
Senior - BHPian

I bought 2 pairs of these. Very compact and loud. Will be using 1 on the bike and the other in the car as a second horn along with the Minda trumpets with a switch to toggle.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Horns!-20140618_003153.jpg  

Power Horns!-20140618_003219.jpg  

Old 25th August 2014, 17:39   #1402
BHPian

Even I switched to Minda Trumpets couple of months back, they're quite good and costed me Rs.700/- with fitting charges.
Old 7th September 2014, 01:06   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
If you plan on replacing the factory horn to any other horn with the same amperage the new setup wouldn't require an additional relay (theoretically).
BUT;
As you might know that manufacturers are always on the look out to cut costs during production and only fit relays as per the required amperage unlike the good old 80's mercs.

I'm sure your electrician will also suggest an additional relay to be fitted for this upgrade. So its best to have the relay fitted.

Cheers
Saud
Any idea what the original horn amperage is for the New swifts? I just replaced my OEM Hella's with the Red Grills from Batra Autozone, Gurgaon. Cost me INR1300. The mechanic was of the opinion that I would not require a relay, as the Swift already has a relay.

What is the amperage drawn out by the Red Grills? I would want to play safe, and install a relay, but the mechanic said it might involve splicing of wires, which I want to avoid at all costs.

I checked the both (new & old ones) horns to see the power ratings, but couldn't find any.
Old 8th September 2014, 10:20   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Any idea what the original horn amperage is for the New swifts? I just replaced my OEM Hella's with the Red Grills from Batra Autozone, Gurgaon. Cost me INR1300. The mechanic was of the opinion that I would not require a relay, as the Swift already has a relay.

What is the amperage drawn out by the Red Grills? I would want to play safe, and install a relay, but the mechanic said it might involve splicing of wires, which I want to avoid at all costs.

I checked the both (new & old ones) horns to see the power ratings, but couldn't find any.
its quite easy to find out, Details of the Hella Red grill horns can be found on the box itself or a quick browse in the interweb will do. I did a search and it looks like the red grills are 6amps.
  • Voltage: 12V
  • Current consumption: 6 Amp (Max)
  • Frequency: Low Tone : High Tone : 300 Hz 500 Hz
  • Sound pressure : 118dB (at 2m from source)
  • Resistance : 3 m/ Ohm min @ 500 meger
  • Type of sound : Disc Horn, Metalic
  • Life durability : As per ECE R28
  • Dimension : 123 mm
Reference: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/hell...e-horn/1246766

The horns that came off your swift might be of the same amps range, to confirm this you need to look behind the horns for some sort of stamping where the power range will be definitely mentioned, like for example "12v 3Amps". But don't be alarmed if you see 3amps on one horn because the relay amps capacity will be total of amps of both the horns combined. Most factory fitted horns are of the 3amps range each so you are safe with the red grills.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:07   #1405
Senior - BHPian

I have a pair of Roots Trumpet horns for the city and a pair of Megasonics for the highway.
Old 8th September 2014, 12:25   #1406
Senior - BHPian

To be in the good books of the cops as well as SC on usage of loud horns, opted to get the high tone fixed for the Grand from the Hyundai ASC, as it already has a low tone. Everything works fine now, and the horns are quite loud, though they are fixed towards the bumper the sound inside the car is also louder even with windows rolled up. I hope the decibel levels are not huge with their usage.
Old 19th October 2014, 20:58   #1407
BHPian

Which are the stock horns on the Polo? They are very loud and useful for Indian conditions !
Old 26th October 2014, 09:33   #1408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Which are the stock horns on the Polo? They are very loud and useful for Indian conditions !
Yes they are really loud and of a perfect tone. You know it's a VW from anywhere. I think they are fanfare horns. Seem larger in size. I did try to find them but no success. Everybody has roots/minda/bosch. I'll have to browse the good old Mumbai markets some day when possible. But no rush now as with my impatient dna, I've installed the roots windtones.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:53   #1409
BHPian

Hey, i am new to team BHP. Just needed some advice from the gurus here about what/what type of horn should i install on my Bolero and also my alto k10, the bolero predominantly does highway runs and the k10 putters around in the city. Also what precautions do i need to take before installing a new horn? Help will be much appreciated.
Old 29th November 2014, 15:58   #1410
BHPian

Changed the Roots wind-tone 90 to the Hella red grills.

Paid 1350 for the horns as wiring was reused from the wind-tones.

Regards,
BL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks