Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2013, 12:48   #1336
Senior - BHPian

re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Thinking about fixing Hella Red Grills. Will I have to install a separate relay or will the inbuilt Horn Relay in the Innova do the job? Inputs welcome
If the draw of the stock horn is equal to the current draw of the hella redgrill then you don't need a relay if you're just replacing your stock horns. Do check if the stock horns carry the current requirement on it. If its not marked its safe to assume that current draw would be less and its wise to go for a relay, most OEM horns are 4 or 5amps (48 - 60watts) at the most. Redgrill is 6amp (72watts).

I'm using a Bosch FC4 with 5amp draw in place of the stock horn (OEM Hella of unknown rating) with in built relay.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 21:37   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
30 - high current circuit battery +ve (to or from)
87 - high current circuit battery + ve (to or from)
85 - low current circuit switch +ve (original horn wire)
86 - low current circuit switch -ve (earth or -ve wire)
I don't think polarity matters for the low current circuit.

Reg the wire size get 18gauge/1sqmm finolex wire it will be more than sufficient. Min size would be 20 or 22 gauge.
Thank you for the quick reply. Tried the wiring last weekend and it worked fine. The good thing is that the horns do not work w/o the ignition switch tuned on. Will change the relay on the activa this week end too.

Couldnt find 1mm wire, so used 3 mm finolex & used bottom half of the horn clips to hold the twisted wires together.

The horns are dissapointing though, will change them to roots. The access has incredible room behind the front dome. Also, added an easy to use toggle switch.

Power Horns!-20130526_202647.jpg

Power Horns!-20130530_174755.jpg
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:16   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hey Guys,

Pls suggest me a good pair of horns for my WagonR. The OE horns are so boring . I like the horn of Polo . Is there any such Power Horn available?

Also Where should I mount these horns so that the sound of Horn is heard outside and not inside Car cabin much.

Regards,
Hi All,

I have upgraded my horn to Minda Trumpets (Pair) Horns with a relay yesterday. WagonR has a single Horn as OE which was boring. Bad from Maruti as nowadays even Two wheelers come with double horn.

It costed me Rs.850 with Relay and Installation.

Sounds good and certainly help me in making Dumb Pune Traffic aware of vehicle .

Regards,
Old 5th June 2013, 14:31   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Minda Trumpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Thanks latentpotential

I performed an Open surgery today by myself and replaced the stock horns with Minda Trumpets

With the bumper out of the way , one has all the time to place the horns at ease and test , I fixed the Minda's at the same location as stock with the stock wiring also.

@ All : The Minda trumpets are a treat to listen to for a mere 550Rs , have used Roots windtones in my previous vehicle but these Minda's are loud and awesome
Quote:
Hi All,

I have upgraded my horn to Minda Trumpets (Pair) Horns with a relay yesterday.

Sounds good and certainly help me in making Dumb Pune Traffic aware of vehicle .

Regards,
Guys, My OE hellas were dying slowly over the days, some revival techniques lengthened its life, but my last long trip to Vizag was the proverbial nail in the coffin. Going thru this thread i had settled down to Hella TT, Minda Trumpets Bosch Symphony or the Minda trumpets.

Went to Sachin's autoshop and he had the Hellas and the Mindas both approx 650/- and the Hella red grills for 1400/-.
Auditioned the Hella TT and the Minda. The latter is a louder and bigger horn but both have the skoda type sound. Settled for the Minda. Fitted it in the OE place with trumpets facing horizontally towards the center line of the car.

Sounds like a high end car now
Old 6th June 2013, 16:01   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have upgraded my horn to Minda Trumpets (Pair) Horns with a relay yesterday. WagonR has a single Horn as OE which was boring. Bad from Maruti as nowadays even Two wheelers come with double horn.

Regards,
Dear All,

My Minda Trumpet sounds very good. Sometimes I feel the horn sounds little bit fractured , you know like a two tone. This typically happens when I run ICE for some time when Car is standing still with engine OFF.
Since Wagon R has only single horn as Stock set up I have added Relay .

Does it happen due to extra load of 2 Horns on Battery? Or Do I need to add a new good relay? Or Do I need to put a bigger battery or an additional battery to reduce burden? Because I have full fledged ICE (Comps,3Way Speakers) , DRL at Front and added Fog lamps which was not part of OE fitment. However there is no issue with ICE/Fogs/DRLs.

Pls guide.

Regards
Old 8th June 2013, 23:25   #1341
BHPian

Hi all,
Would like to change OEM horns on my Pulsar220 and Dzire to Skodaish horn, pleasant but loud enough to be heard. The stock ones are waning slowly. Please suggest brand and place where can I find in Bangalore. I read on the thread about Bosch symphony, Nautilus and Hella RedGrill, which one is for bike/car?
thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 12:33   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

My Minda Trumpet sounds very good. Sometimes I feel the horn sounds little bit fractured , you know like a two tone. This typically happens when I run ICE for some time when Car is standing still with engine OFF.
Since Wagon R has only single horn as Stock set up I have added Relay .

Does it happen due to extra load of 2 Horns on Battery? Or Do I need to add a new good relay? Or Do I need to put a bigger battery or an additional battery to reduce burden? Because I have full fledged ICE (Comps,3Way Speakers) , DRL at Front and added Fog lamps which was not part of OE fitment. However there is no issue with ICE/Fogs/DRLs.

Pls guide.

Regards
The problem is solved. Relay was culprit. It was faulty. Changed it yesterday and Trumpets are sounding fantastic.

Regards,
Old 17th June 2013, 11:25   #1343
BHPian

What all types of horns are allowed legally in cars? I own an i20 and want to change the horn as in blind corners even if I honk nobody honks back or gives me way. Lot of times I had to stop and take down the car from the road as others were taking more way than they require. I guess weak oem horns of i20 make people think that a 2 wheeler is coming in opposite direction. I like the horns fitted in volvo buses, are they legal to place in cars. Please let me know how much would they cost.
Old 24th June 2013, 23:47   #1344
Senior - BHPian

I have a few technical questions with regards to the mounting of horns.

1) All horns come with a metal strip (patti) which can be bolted onto the car. Can I get rid of this patti and mount the horns directly on the car using the central bolt? Will performance suffer?

2) If the horn is mounted on rubber washers, will it increase or decrease its effectiveness and volume?
Old 25th June 2013, 09:46   #1345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

1) All horns come with a metal strip (patti) which can be bolted onto the car. Can I get rid of this patti and mount the horns directly on the car using the central bolt? Will performance suffer?
I'm no expert but looking at that bolt in all horns, I've always assumed that the tightening of that bolt has an impact on the output tone of the horn. So if you use that bolt to attach the horn, I see a change in output tone.

Quote:
2) If the horn is mounted on rubber washers, will it increase or decrease its effectiveness and volume?
I don't think it will have a significant impact on the volume. Only the vibrations passed on to the mounting point will reduce.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:34   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm no expert but looking at that bolt in all horns, I've always assumed that the tightening of that bolt has an impact on the output tone of the horn. So if you use that bolt to attach the horn, I see a change in output tone.
Thanks for your reply. Quite possible.

But since the metal strip is bolted on to the horn using the same nut/bolt, can the absence of the strip change the horn tone?
Old 25th June 2013, 11:45   #1347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Quite possible.

But since the metal strip is bolted on to the horn using the same nut/bolt, can the absence of the strip change the horn tone?
God I don't know why I'm replying! I have absolutely no sure idea if that central bolt itself is used to tune the horn (decide the distance between the plate & magnet). But if it IS, then I believe the size & tightening of the bolt will be calibrated with the metal strip's thickness in consideration.

I guess we have to take a closer look at the horn's construction to confirm. I have a spare OEM horn at home from my car with the strip. I'll try fiddling around with it a bit & see what happens. Probably some expert bhpian will reply to this query by then.
Old 21st July 2013, 13:48   #1348
BHPian

So my 1 year old Seger VW type horn finally died yesterday.
Don't know which horns to go for this time. Have used Minda trumpet and Seger
Will see if I can get original Hella red grills somewhere. What's the difference between red grills and red trumpet ?

Also what is the horn that comes on Innova and Corolla called?
Old 30th July 2013, 10:37   #1349
BHPian

Skoda Superb Horn

Hi Folks
One of the horns of my Skoda Superb has conked off. Called the service center and found out that replacing the horn costs about Rs. 8000. Yes they only come in pairs.

I tried some DIY stuff and checked out the horn, unfortunately in most of the stores i checked the horns available are general horns.

The superb has a special connector on the horn itself which in turn connects to a special connector from the car. The horn is shown below with the connector and the connector that goes into it (from the cars cable loom)

Now question is how do i fit a regular horn to the car without cutting the cars cable. Does anyone know where i can get the Skoda Superb horn (with the socket) from outside (tried Shetty motors they dont have it). If such a horn is not available then is it possible to get that socket which would connect to the horn.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Horns!-horn.jpg  

Power Horns!-connect.jpg  

Old 30th July 2013, 12:45   #1350
BHPian

Quote:

hey,

1. Horns are supposed to be mounted on the metal strip else the vibrations would be passed onto the body and weirdly felt by car occupants. Once, one of Hella Redgrills got dislodged from its place in the engine bay and was resting onto the car body inside the engine bay. On using the horn, the vibrant noise felt was nothing other than unpleasant.
Besides, one of the loudest electric horn: Roots Vibrasonic comes with multiple strips attached together so as to reduce the vibration effect being passed to the body.

2. Horn voice/effectiveness should not have much of an effect with rubber washers/mounts. Had it been so, this cheap mod would have been largely incorporated by vehicle manufacturers (eg Honda Amaze like vehicles with that meekly horn). The effectiveness of horn mounting is more related to the length and thickness of the strip to minimise vibrations while allowing horn to freely make the desired noise and consequent vibrations.

Regards

Last edited by Grr7 : 30th July 2013 at 12:50.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks