Team-BHP - Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/93908-auto-lighting-thread-post-all-queries-about-automobile-lighting-here-816.html)

I have a 2005 Maruti Esteem LXi which is currently undergoing repair and refit at a local mechanic as it was in storage for quite some time. As "MGP" headlights weren't available, and demand order was costing a lot, even on Boodmo, I opted to go for a "local" reflector unit which is due to arrive tomorrow. My query is twofold;
What bulb/lamp setup should I go for ?
What fog lamps should I install as it has none? I don't know much about them, but have the (mis)conception that Projector lamps are best. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My aim for the lighting setup is to have good night visibility and capability to handle foggy weather too, which is bound to roll in next week or so here in North India.

Hi
I want to upgrade headlamps of my Maruti Alto 1.1 VX (2001 model) and Maruti Esteem 1.3 LXi (2005 model). Both currently have Philips 90/100 H4 lamps in newly installed stock reflector housing. Their illumination isn't good enough for nighttime driving and becomes pretty much useless in foggy weather. The front bumper of Esteem has space for fog lamps, which is currently empty, so please suggest a good fog lamp pair too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KadiNiSikhiya (Post 5213628)
I have a 2005 Maruti Esteem LXi which is currently undergoing repair and refit at a local mechanic as it was in storage for quite some time. As "MGP" headlights weren't available, and demand order was costing a lot, even on Boodmo, I opted to go for a "local" reflector unit which is due to arrive tomorrow. My query is twofold;
What bulb/lamp setup should I go for ?
What fog lamps should I install as it has none? I don't know much about them, but have the (mis)conception that Projector lamps are best. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My aim for the lighting setup is to have good night visibility and capability to handle foggy weather too, which is bound to roll in next week or so here in North India.

Do check industrybuying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KadiNiSikhiya (Post 5217668)
Hi
I want to upgrade headlamps of my Maruti Alto 1.1 VX (2001 model) and Maruti Esteem 1.3 LXi (2005 model). Both currently have Philips 90/100 H4 lamps in newly installed stock reflector housing. Their illumination isn't good enough for nighttime driving and becomes pretty much useless in foggy weather. The front bumper of Esteem has space for fog lamps, which is currently empty, so please suggest a good fog lamp pair too.

I would suggest you go for the 3 inch Bi Xenon fog lamps from Blaze India. They should fit the Esteem bumper but please check first. I have found them to be quite effective. They cost about Rs. 7000 a pair. Contact Blaze India directly.

Regards,
SS

Hi guys, i am looking for getting my Grand i10 installed with Gog Projector kits. Please share any good references in Bengaluru who can do a good Job?
Contacted XenonPlanet but their response is poor.

Just upgraded the low beam on my Polo to Osram LEDs H7. Quite satisfied with the results so far. Just tested it out in the apartment complex, so a real world dark road test is due. The throw of the LEDs is much better than the stock halogens.

Pending: Osram night breaker laser in high beam. Don't want such a cold temperature in high beam.

Here are some pictures.
Close up:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20211222_212643.jpg

White light does suit the overall look:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20211222_212659.jpg

Comparison of low beams:
1)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20211222_214736.jpg

2)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20211222_214644.jpg

Question to the forum - Why does the cutoff look jagged on the left side? I made sure the LEDs are pointing 90° and 270° inside the housing. Could it be the reflector housing?
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20211222_213356.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 5094251)
Happy to hear you have good experience with the LED in projectors. Please share some pics for everyone's knowledge.

Guys, aftermarket LED in stock halogen projectors is not a good idea.

I had perceived the sharp LED lamps in stock halogen projectors to be good without having an actual 1-to-1 comparison with stock halogens.

Yes, LEDs are a lot more brighter and strong, however, they lack in the spread that stock halogens provide.

So, I believe the right upgrade for halogen projectors is either HIDs or special aftermarket LED lamps that are specifically designed for projectors (very few options in the market).

I’m speaking from my own experience since right now, my left headlight is aftermarket LED while the right headlight is stock halogen (both in stock HB3 projector setup). I ended up with different lights setup due to an accident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarav100 (Post 5221560)
Guys, aftermarket LED in stock halogen projectors is not a good idea.

I had perceived the sharp LED lamps in stock halogen projectors to be good without having an actual 1-to-1 comparison with stock halogens.

Yes, LEDs are a lot more brighter and strong, however, they lack in the spread that stock halogens provide.

So, I believe the right upgrade for halogen projectors is either HIDs or special aftermarket LED lamps that are specifically designed for projectors (very few options in the market).

I’m speaking from my own experience since right now, my left headlight is aftermarket LED while the right headlight is stock halogen (both in stock HB3 projector setup). I ended up with different lights setup due to an accident.

Yes fully agree on this. If the car has halogen based projectors, the best possible upgrade is HIDs in 4300k in 35w or 55w (depending on your requirements). With 35w HID you will get 2x light level and with 55W you will get 3x light level. But with 55w the risk is higher inrush current and also very high glare to other cars. 35w is generally good enough for most users.

With Hids the benefit is that the light distribution is 360 degree (apart from small ground wire) so there are much lesser dark spots in the beam. In case of leds the beam is interrupted by the heat sink plate which cuts off almost 30 degree beam on both top and bottom as most leds are installed with heat sink plate in vertical condition.

Also the beam focus with HIDs with projector remains same (or better) as compared to the halogens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth (Post 5221661)
Yes fully agree on this. If the car has halogen based projectors, the best possible upgrade is HIDs in 4300k in 35w or 55w (depending on your requirements). With 35w HID you will get 2x light level and with 55W you will get 3x light level. But with 55w the risk is higher inrush current and also very high glare to other cars. 35w is generally good enough for most users.

With Hids the benefit is that the light distribution is 360 degree (apart from small ground wire) so there are much lesser dark spots in the beam. In case of leds the beam is interrupted by the heat sink plate which cuts off almost 30 degree beam on both top and bottom as most leds are installed with heat sink plate in vertical condition.

Also the beam focus with HIDs with projector remains same (or better) as compared to the halogens.

Thanks for suggestions.

However I am bit curious that is it plug and play or do I need any HID conversion kit?

My car has H7 halogen projector in low beam and normal reflector in high beam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sukanta73 (Post 5221670)
Thanks for suggestions.

However I am bit curious that is it plug and play or do I need any HID conversion kit?

My car has H7 halogen projector in low beam and normal reflector in high beam.

HID coversion kits are plug and play (they use same type of connectors as the original wiring ) but as the ballast unit is generally outside the headlight housing, a hole needs to be made in the headlight rubber cap. In some cars (like my Skoda Laura earlier), there was enough space inside the headlight housing itself to place the ballast so no hole was required and it was a very easy plug and play. But in most cars, there is not enough space so the ballast unit has to be kept outside the headlight housing.
A Hid kit comes as a full set of 2 Hid bulbs, 2 hid ballast and wires. Please note that if the car has OE H11 bulbs, then the corresponding HID kit bulbs are called DH11 . (And DHB3 if the OE are HB3) so please order the correct kits according to your car OE bulb type. For H7 the kit will be called DH7.

On Amazon this is the 4200k DH7 kit
Osram AM038850055 DH7 Xenon Eco Headlight HID conversion Kit (12V, 35W) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B36G65J/...WXBX75P80SNMA0

There is a separate thread dedicated to HID kits - you can refer to that thread for more details.

In case of LEDs there are very few good LED retrofit kits available - I had tried three before finally settling with HIDs in 4200k for my Jeep Compass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandTourer (Post 5220392)

Question to the forum - Why does the cutoff look jagged on the left side? I made sure the LEDs are pointing 90° and 270° inside the housing. Could it be the reflector housing?

Attachment 2248575

This beam pattern appears to be normal for a low beam reflector, it should be slightly higher on the left. If you have placed the LED perfectly perpendicular within the housing then you are good. I am not sure if there is a light bleed/glare from the Osrams, this can be checked if you have reference shots with halogens.

I am attaching pics from my Ameo with LEDs as a reference. I use Morimoto LEDs, so the beam pattern can be slight different from your Osrams.

Attachment 2139939

Hello BHPians,

I would like you guys to help me find good headlams for my 2018 Tucson. The stock low beam lams are halogen projectors and halogens for high beam and fog lamps as well. These lights are very dull and doesn't offer much visibility.

Lately, it has become very difficult to drive around in the night with these headlamps, let it be city or highways. I was thinking of going for led lights for both low beam and fog lamps but then one of my friends told me that the LED lights don't go well with the projector setup. He told me that the light throw and angle will be very weird. And he suggested me to go with good aftermarket halogens and not the white LED's.

I'm now clue less and in a dilemma. I want to know which lights should i replace for night driving. Should i replace just the lowbeams and foglamps or all the lights? Should i go with led or halogens? and which ones give good brightness, visibility and longer throw.

The main purpose of this is because the car is majorly driven by my dad and he travels atleast 2500kms every month. He drives on highways with oncoming highbeams hitting his eyes and city driving and also few ghats and forest sections. Lately he has a very less confidence in driving that car in the nights due to these dull lights.

Please suggest a few good lights.

Thankyou
Hsatyam.

Dont know if this has been posted earlier, but a nice video showing the difference between the increasingly popular 6000k lights -vs- the age old 4300k lights.

Pls check the video on YT directly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3MYbrQKi4

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsatyam (Post 5221759)
Hello BHPians,

I would like you guys to help me find good headlams for my 2018 Tucson. The stock low beam lams are halogen projectors and halogens for high beam and fog lamps as well. These lights are very dull and doesn't offer much visibility.

Lately, it has become very difficult to drive around in the night with these headlamps, let it be city or highways. I was thinking of going for led lights for both low beam and fog lamps but then one of my friends told me that the LED lights don't go well with the projector setup. He told me that the light throw and angle will be very weird. And he suggested me to go with good aftermarket halogens and not the white LED's.

I'm now clue less and in a dilemma. I want to know which lights should i replace for night driving. Should i replace just the lowbeams and foglamps or all the lights? Should i go with led or halogens? and which ones give good brightness, visibility and longer throw.

The main purpose of this is because the car is majorly driven by my dad and he travels atleast 2500kms every month. He drives on highways with oncoming highbeams hitting his eyes and city driving and also few ghats and forest sections. Lately he has a very less confidence in driving that car in the nights due to these dull lights.

Thankyou
Hsatyam.

For projector setup in low beam, get a good branded HID kit in 4300k(preferably) or 5500k colour.

For reflector based lights(high beam/fog lamps ), the decision is not that easy since HID are not good for reflector setup and LEDs or upsized halogen come with issues of their own. 99% of the LEDs in the market have 6000k colour temperature which is good for drive on a dry day and kind of manageable on a rainy day but are absolute disaster if you encounter foggy weather. 110watts halogens are also an option but their reliability and issue of reflector losing surface due to extreme heat is there.

Hence, for projectors go with 35watt HIDs. For reflectors, if you don’t drive in fog or don’t encounter heavy rainfall, go with LEDs from good brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsatyam (Post 5221759)
Hello BHPians,

Thankyou
Hsatyam.

Given your father's current usage conditions, it would be best to get 55w HIDs in the low beams for your Tucson. It will make a night and day difference in the night driving for your father. The light level is almost 3x vs current halogens. Get 4300k HIDs which due to being driven at 55w will generate around 3500k light. This is good for night driving as well as foggy conditions. Get this change done quickly as driving with weak headlights is a very hazardous experience. My Jeep Compass Limited also had halogen projectors which were really pathetic. I had shifted to 42w HIDs (they are intermediate between 35w and 55w) and there has been a huge difference in the lighting.