Team-BHP - Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/93908-auto-lighting-thread-post-all-queries-about-automobile-lighting-here-772.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by inder (Post 4673077)
Dear en"lightened" Bhpian's , I am driving a Mahindra XUV W6 of 2014 vintage. I find the Low beams pretty ordinary.Sometimes I check if I have put the headlights On or not.
So I am planning to change the bulbs to something more brighter.
The low beam has H7 12v/55w whereas the high beam has H15 12v/55w.
What are the best options for plug and play bulbs within the given wattage which will improve the lighting conditions.I do not want to cut wires and install relays, as there might not be good professional fitters in my city.

I think I am the only one who thinks the XUV's headlights are inadequate stupid:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 745676)
Great article Ram, but the question is what about reflection. What I could gather from various sources is
If you have Yellow lights instead of white, you get lesser backscatter. This is very different from "Penetration".
Thats why Skiers wear Yellow glasses, so that they can filter out the blue wavelengths which scatter more.
With a standard white light you will see more backscatter.
Also there are bulbs with 3000K or lower color temperature available, which do not require any yellow coating.

Also I have noticed that at a traffic signal(LED types where brightness is same for both green and red), in Fog the Red is more visible than the green, and visible from the greater distance.

Sorry for quoting a very long time back post but this is important.
What you are talking about is light scattering by air molecules (oh well nitrogen, oxygen, argon, CO2 etc molecules).

The shorter wavelengths like blue, violet scatter more than larger wavelengths like orange and red. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering)

Also human eyes are better at focusing the larger wavelengths than the shorter wavelengths. Well it could've been the other way round but I guess evolution favored the longer wavelength focusing vs shorter wavelength focusing.
Of course focusing both is nearly impossible (chromatic aberration - refractive index changes with wavelength = that's why we get rainbow from prism).

The benefits of yellow glass is that it cuts down the blue light which scatters the most thus decreasing the signal to noise of information coming to the eyes, and also removes the frequencies that eye is anyway not able to focus well.

Checkout the graphics towards the end of the article:
http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students..._of_light.html

Guys, Have a peculiar problem. I recently bought UnoMinda spot lamp for those night short distant drive in highways between home and office. I had to get the cheaper one since my office security broke my Hella 500ff while he was running across.

Everytime the fuse blows when i turn on the lamp. So i even bought new h3 Hella bulbs and still blows my fuse. So decided to open up the lamp, just connected the lamp without the housing at it did not blow the fuse for some reason. So used some duck tape to cover the parts that touch the housing and tried to switch on, it worked for sometime, then blew the fuse again.

When i reconnect my Hella lamps, they work just fine. Took it to a shop nearby and they were not able to figure out what he issue is. And they resorted to say that its problem with lamp, and here buy this and that.

Link to product: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anybody got any ideas why ?

It's seems like the internal wiring might have a small cut or tear in an area that is hard to notice at first glance and this is shorting on the metal body somewhere. Try inspecting further including the bulb socket and maybe some multimeter testing can give a clue

I had replaced the wires as well and the bulbs are actually brand new. I have a few extra insulated wires, let me try using those. I need to learn to use Multimeter. Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibir Mudai (Post 4605298)
After owning S Cross Alpha facelift, I found the LED Headlamps to be not as bright as expected so I initially upgraded my Fog lamps with Philips Ultinon LED bulbs which improved my visibility in low beam.

Hello,

First congratulations on the awesome setup with the fog Lights. clap:

I need to get something like this for my VW Vento as the headlights are horrendous and i don't want to do a retrofit projector setup on the headlight reflectors because this will render the headlights useless should there be any problems with the retrofitted projectors.

This work around of getting Fog projectors seems like a brilliant work around.

In this regard can you please provide me the name of the distributor in Udaipur who provided you with the fog projector kit. Would like to pick up the same stuff for my Vento.

Thank you in advance. Cheers and God Bless.

Team, I am planning to upgrade the stock headlamps on my 2012 Liva and also want to install fog lamps. Please suggest a good upgrade for the lamps and also fog lamp models. Please suggest a good place in Chennai to get this done. Thanks.

As everybody is aware the Maruti main lamps were never good for "real" night driving and they are useless if it is raining. My Ertiga is no exception and hence I am planning to add extra aux lamps such as Hella or other good brand.

Any suggestions on where will I get them fixed in Bangalore?

I do not want to tamper with OEM bulb wattage since it has its own issues of enclosure becoming yellowish due to excess heat they would produce, also LED lamps are not as bright based on multiple videos that I watched.

Any suggestion is welcome. Surely adding extra lamps need some drilling and cutting in car's front side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivtelang (Post 4683586)
I do not want to tamper with OEM bulb wattage since it has its own issues of enclosure becoming yellowish due to excess heat they would produce, also LED lamps are not as bright based on multiple videos that I watched.

I noticed your post on the Ertiga official review but couldn't respond earlier but for something as simple was the first gen Ertiga, I would still vote for the humble upgrade of bulbs to higher wattage (100/90) with a relay wiring kit. This is perhaps the best option out there which I will recommend based on my experience.

Also, regarding fading of reflectors, you are welcome to check both my cars that have the same set-up and both run 2L Kms with many instances of night driving. The fading of reflectors despite of this age is extremely minimal or nothing. If you are worried about warranty, then you must not even go got these Aux lamps because I read that you have 5 Year warranty on your existing car. Since I had a considerable experience with this set-up on my first car (WagonR), I didn't even think twice when I did this for my Ertiga. There is nothing really special about my car nor anythings special about Maruti here but I will still prefer this upgrade over any others.

Additionally what I have is a pair of Osram LEDriving Fog that I installed 2 years before and quite happy with the lighting, especially when driving in rains and visibility closer to the bumper area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88jhJMtRXw&t=1022s

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4683594)
Also, regarding fading of reflectors, you are welcome to check both my cars that have the same set-up and both run 2L Kms with many instances of night driving. The fading of reflectors despite of this age is extremely minimal or nothing. If you are worried about warranty, then you must not even go got these Aux lamps because I read that you have 5 Year warranty on your existing car. Since I had a considerable experience with this set-up on my first car (WagonR), I didn't even think twice when I did this for my Ertiga. There is nothing really special about my car nor anythings special about Maruti here but I will still prefer this upgrade over any others.

Thanks Pragabhai. I will visit you once I am back to see all the modifications made. I really am looking to solve this issue for a long time now, it is just that I prevent long night drives but when really needed I always start looking for the solutions and forget soon :D.
BTW did I make a mistake by going for 5 years extended warranty on my Ertiga? I got a lot of recommendations and it was not that expensive either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivtelang (Post 4683788)
BTW did I make a mistake by going for 5 years extended warranty on my Ertiga? I got a lot of recommendations and it was not that expensive either.

Not at all. You did the right thing. Look at my case where my 4th year extended warranty ended before even 3 years due to my high running then and if I ever had the 5th year/100k warranty then I would've managed to get the synchronizer rings replaced under this only because the issue cropped up at 93 or 97k IIRC.

Regarding light upgrade, check Rajain's posts as his Ertiga runs on Aux lamps fitted in front of the grill. I will try locating his posts later today. That might help you.

Hello All, Could some one share if the Ritz VDI - 2015 have manual headlight adjustment similar to ones that used to come on older generation of cars. I have upgraded my headlight to 100/90 with Philips relay but the light is falling quite close even max adjustment on the headlight leveling adjuster.

Hello,
I drive a Baleno Alpha CVT.
The stock projector headlights installed I feel are atrocious in their beam and I always feel they're underpowered, inspite of them being xenon headlights.( Although I'm.not 100 percent sure and would like someone to confirm that, surely they're not halogen)

On top of that, I've always felt they are unbalanced horizontally as the hotspots are aimed more on the left on both sides than center.
It's painful to drive in the night especially during the rains on a tar road since it feels all the light is being absorbed and very difficult to see in the night.

Regarding balancing, I've pointed out this to the service centre and they're saying it's fine inspite of me showing them repeatedly during servicing.
Im getting irritated by this.

My queries are:
A) if anyone knows how to balance the horizontal throw.of the beams?
B) If I want to upgrade the headlights to more power output, which ones should I buy and which accessory shop can install it in Mumbai.
I stay in Chembur.
C) Will that affect the warranty of the car? (Stupid question, but throwing it out there)

Thanks
Tejas.

I recently changed the stock bulb of my Creta SX+ projector with OSRAM night breaker laser HB3. there was a deal in amazon.
the light brightness and throw has improved. though it is not a major change but still something to try if someone does not want to experiment with HID modification etc.. .

regards,
Vikas

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejaskar (Post 4683905)
Hello,

On top of that, I've always felt they are unbalanced horizontally as the hotspots are aimed more on the left on both sides than center.
It's painful to drive in the night especially during the rains on a tar road since it feels all the light is being absorbed and very difficult to see in the night.

queries are:
A) if anyone knows how to balance the horizontal throw.of the beams?
B) If I want to upgrade the headlights to more power output, which ones should I buy and which accessory shop can install it in Mumbai.
I stay in Chembur.
C) Will that affect the warranty of the car? (Stupid question, but throwing it out there)

Thanks
Tejas.

Well, I'm assuming your car emits a white light, which might be from either Xenon HIDs or LEDs. White light allegedly gets scattered in the rains and fog. That is the reason, if you want best visibility in rains/fog, you have to choose either halogen bulbs or Xenons/LEDs which can emit warmer temperatures of light (≤ 4000k). Yellow light or the traditional halogen light does not scatter as much as white light does in rainy/foggy condition. This is the reason why we can notice few after market fog lamps being available in yellow color.

Coming to Alignment of headlights, it is possible to align the Horizontal and Vertical beam by ourselves in almost all modern cars. There will be two screw like controls for each side, one for horizontal and one for vertical alignment. You will typically find these when you open the bonnet and look at the headlight area from the top. The user manual also will have instructions regarding the same.

A mere bulb change will not affect the warranty given it is the same power as the stock bulb but if the modification involves cutting or splicing the existing wiring in the car, then it will void warranty. Warranty being void or not is brand specific and dealer specific too, as far as what I have read in several threads on Team-BHP. Usually Plug and Play (PnP) type of bulb upgrades don't cause warranty issues, but there is always that minute possibility.

No question is stupid mate. :)