Team-BHP - Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/93908-auto-lighting-thread-post-all-queries-about-automobile-lighting-here-730.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 (Post 4361971)
Does upgrading the standard halogens to HID bulbs (in existing OEM projectors) void the warranty?

Unless & until you splice any wires or cross the OEM wattage rating, you won’t have any problems as such, but to be on the safer side, do cross check with your A.S.S.
I’m using Osram LEDs for the parking lights, interior lights, reverse lights & license plate lights on my EcoSport with full support from my dealership, so I can vouch for bulb upgrades at all levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjithin (Post 4363784)
OT: it may not be a good idea to put a HID bulb into a halogen projector; the design of projector is based on where the source of light is exactly positioned; and thats different for a halogen and HID bulb causing much more glare.

Since we’re talking about the Ford EcoSport here, and I’d like to state that the same headlamp assembly is being used in Australia with HIDs on the low beam, so I’m pretty sure that the projector will hold good for the upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 (Post 4364438)
So I would suggest not to go for those retro-fit LEDS in halogen setup, just for the sake of upgrade.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaudh2s (Post 4359931)
I recently bought a wiring harness for h1/h7 bulbs. The relay has 6 wires connections. I understand 4 of these are for connection to 30(battery), 85(earth), 86(switch), 87(light). I do not understand what are the two remaining connections for. The 6 connections are named something like L1/L2 S1/S2 T1/T2. Can any learned member here help me explain.

Those must be the dual headlamp relays to boost the right and the left bulbs separately instead of double single relays for each side.

Can you post a pic to confirm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 (Post 4364438)
Disagree.
Firstly LED bulbs don't emit light with the same pattern as halogen bulbs.
Both have different emitting characteristics.

Philips LED Ultinon emit light with the pattern same as that of any halogen.
You can read it for yourself HERE

Even I'm not in favour of going with non reputed industry brands.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by treadmark (Post 4364511)
You can read it for yourself HERE

Even I'm not in favour of going with non reputed industry brands.

Cheers!

Philips website is not the reference point to assess and understand the light pattern or intensity of a bulb manufactured by Philips themselves.:)
It is their own product with an insane price tag, so they will go to any extent to convince the users to buy it.

Believe me, I have used Ultinons and they are not better than even Extremevision bulbs in the same halogen reflector setup.

I am sure that you have not used Philips LED Ultinon H4 in a car, but just simply impressed by the website claims, online reviews or youtube videos.
Just like you, I also had some high expectations about the Ultinons, before using it.

But after using it, I understood the difference berween online reviews and real-world usage of such retro-fits on halogen reflectors.

If you were regularly following this thread, you would have seen my short review about the Philips LED Ultinon H4 bulbs a couple of months ago.

For your reference let me post the link to my post here.

Philips Ultinon Post link

So I have experienced what the real-world performance of Philips Ultinon is, and how much disppointing it was.

So please don't mislead others just by using website claims of the manufacturers or online promotional content as a reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 (Post 4364928)
Philips website is not the reference point to assess and understand the light pattern or intensity of a bulb manufactured by Philips themselves.:)

Looks like it is a bag of mixed reviews; though I follow this thread regularly somehow I missed your post.

Below are the positive review for the same product in our portal.

Review 1

Review 2

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by treadmark (Post 4364511)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 (Post 4364928)
Philips website is not the reference point to assess and understand the light pattern or intensity of a bulb manufactured by Philips themselves.:)...I have experienced what the real-world performance of Philips Ultinon is, and how much disppointing it was.

All these claims in the websites should be taken with the same importance that's attached to the fuel mileage claims mentioned by vehicle manufacturers - a lot can change between the standard test conditions used to measure the FE and real world conditions.

Coming to LEDs - they need lenses to focus and spread the light as per need. Unless the point light source can be stretched to the same dimensions as the filament of an incandescent bulb, the reflector will not be able to provide the same illumination pattern as a halogen bulb - simple laws of physics. Some reflectors are designed to have some tolerance wrt the light source, some are not - due to various reasons - cost, shape & size of the headlamp, materials used, regulations etc.

I have not used H4 LEDs but I did try different LEDs for tail lights and brake lights. They work brilliantly in some cars, while they are too dull in some others, thanks to the reflector design.

The worst of the lot are those cylindrical 'bulbs' with multiple LEDs stuck around - in most cases, they are poorly designed - electrically and mechanically, so their reliability is at stake. The LEDs usually are some cheap units, which translates to much lower efficiency than claimed.

None of the reflectors in a car is designed to run an LED pattern unless it comes with specific reflectors. Changing the bulb even in a tail lamp causes distraction or momentary blindness to the following driver esp at a traffic signal. For headlights, its scientifically proven that unless used in an LED reflector it has less throw compared to stock bulbs and has more spread to disturb the incoming traffic. Light leaks even in a properly aligned & focussed reflector is common while using LEDs. Its the same or worse with HIDs. The above mentioned issues are apart from the high intensity white light issues during rain and fog. LED technology is not matured enough to replicate the halogen lamp light pattern.

BTW, changing the bulb will void the electrical warranty for sure. Dealers wont say that unless the situation comes up since the warranty is given by the manufacturer not the dealer.

Experts, some advice needed !!

The low beam projector bulb of my Aria has conked off. I was using Philips Extreme vision in them and got pathetically poor life from them. I visited a car accessory store and they suggested me to go for Philips Diamond Vision which is 5000k rated.

I was looking for going the HID way, but the bulbs from Philips and Osram cost a bomb and I don't really know how reliable the Chinese ones are. If anyone knows a good brand of HID for a reasonable price or a good place to go to in Gurgaon for an install or exploring some options, that would be of immense help

I have to get the bulbs changed this weekend . Some advice would be appreciated

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhil994 (Post 4366779)
Experts, some advice needed !!

The low beam projector bulb of my Aria has conked off. I was using Philips Extreme vision in them and got pathetically poor life from them. I visited a car accessory store and they suggested me to go for Philips Diamond Vision which is 5000k rated.

I was looking for going the HID way, but the bulbs from Philips and Osram cost a bomb and I don't really know how reliable the Chinese ones are. If anyone knows a good brand of HID for a reasonable price or a good place to go to in Gurgaon for an install or exploring some options, that would be of immense help

I have to get the bulbs changed this weekend . Some advice would be appreciated

Avoid the Philips 5000k ones as they are just blue coated and the light is actually lesser than the Xtreme Vision ones.
For HID you cam go for Morimoto which has their official distributor near Chatarpur.

Dear all, Sorry, it maybe a rookie question. Can we have projector lights with LED bulb or it can only be filament bulb? has anyone come across projector (with LED or without) headlight for Swift type 2-2009 model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AShubrah (Post 4354159)
As far as I think, there is enough clearance inside the headlight housing to accommodate 0.5 inches more.
However, do check the placement of the LED chips on the new bulbs, as a significant difference it their positioning when compared to the filament on halogen ones can cause them to not work efficiently in your reflector housing.

Thanks for the guidance - I have plugged in the LASFIT Leds now in my car and provided some initial analysis on my Ownership Report here: URL

In summary, the light scattering is more, but given that I went in for the Low Beam, it seems to be working out well so far. May not work out for the High Beam though...

Not sure if covered before, but has anyone tried fitting the Philips Xtreme Ultinon LEDs in the fog lamp socket? Reason I ask is because the listing on powerbulbs mentions these to be compatible with H8/H11/H16 sockets. Also, they're rated at 10W only. I'm concerned that these might be too weak for a low beam and might be better off in a fog lamp setup. Some reviews posted for these suggest something similar, that the throw is actually shorter than normal halogens.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/p...amp-h8-h11-h16

Please advise, what would be the best approach for a dual-barrel Honda City. Looking at LEDs but want to get something much better and brighter than stock halogens.

One way is just moving to Osram NBUs, for both hi/lo beams. Another challenge is Philips X-treme Vision doesn't come in H11 type apparently, or atleast not listed on PowerBulbs.

My car's stock fog lamps do seem to throw decent amount of light on the road when viewed from outside the car, however while seated on the driver's seat hardly any of it is visible in front of the car. Maybe the lamps need to be re-aligned/re-adjusted?

Very keenly looking at this for a fog lamp upgrade : https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/o...ing-f1-fog-kit

Sorry for the several queries, really need to make changes to the stock setup as night visibility is pretty poor, especially with the hi-beam devils on Bangalore roads.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Parth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parth46 (Post 4369962)
Not sure if covered before, but has anyone tried fitting the Philips Xtreme Ultinon LEDs in the fog lamp socket?
https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/p...amp-h8-h11-h16

Looking at the price tag, I wont suggest to go for the Philips ultinons, you hardly gain anything; be it extra light or visibility.

Search for threads from ParagSanchania & audioholic on the LED fog light installs; hopefully that will be of help.

I finally took the plunge and upgraded to HID in my 2018 Ford EcoSport. Although, I wanted to install Morimoto, decided to go with XenonPlanet primarily for budget and availability constraints.

Karan from XenonPlanet was very helpful and helped me out with what i should go with. The total cost was 12,000. No wires were cut and it was a complete plug and play installation.

Now onto the images. Please note that the low beam is at it's highest position.

The bulb
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180314_091635.jpg

The ballast
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-mvimg_20180314_091610_exported_1230585603716811556.jpg

Halogen low beam and HID fogs
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-mvimg_20180314_090743_exported_5282130603695614679.jpg

Low beam, halogen on the left and HID on the right
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-mvimg_20180314_092440_exported_5773555125366472255.jpg

HID low beam and fogs
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-mvimg_20180314_094306_exported_4233279135169959522.jpg

All the lights switched on
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-mvimg_20180314_094313_exported_5163476746739901614.jpg

The HID low beam in my office parking lot, a relatively dark spot.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-mvimg_20180314_101236_exported_3612571034287275912.jpg

How much should a pair of LightForce 215 or 180 cost me in Delhi? I tried to reach LightForce India on their FB page but they haven't responded in almost a week now.

Any trusted source also who can help me get these here would be a great help too.