Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 00:13   #10621
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Hey folks,
I'm not at all satisfied with the throw and the range of the projectors on the Hexa.

The output from the projectors have a terrible short range and they're useless during the night drives on the highways. Blame the design of the headlamp cluster for this. The projector is placed a bit too inside the headlight cluster. Even though the output is powerful, the range and throw is terribly shortlived and the high beam is slightly more focused on one side rather than a proper balance of 50-50 on the each side.

I don't even have an option to upgrade my foglamps with XP micros as the housing of the foglamp is not circular in shape.

Any pointers on upgrading the Lights would be of immense help.

Will post some shots of the output of the lights on an open stretch of road to give you folks an exact idea of the output on empty stretch of road.

Thanks,
Varun
If unsealing and resealing the headlights is an option you're willing to consider, check out Morimoto's D2S 4.0 projectors.
Old 6th August 2017, 10:48   #10622
BHPian

I replaced my 2010 face-lift CRV halogen bulbs (which have projectors) with HID (Osram from the Bangalore distributor near Richmond Road) - just a plug and play for me. Cost around 10k or 12k

Good performance

However they take a few seconds to come to full brightness - has been running good for about a year now. Do not go for fake stuff

My experience with Laser halogen bulbs isn't great, but I got a test product that was used for a few hours
Old 6th August 2017, 12:00   #10623
BHPian

I had installed Philips H4 X-treme Vision Plus car headlight bulb (12V, 60/55W) in my Xylo last year, and though the gains maybe be marginal but are significant.
I'd bought them for ₹206 each from cloudtail, amazon last year in October.
On long straight highways on highbeam the two headlight beam spots are clearly visible.
Color temperature is 3700K and doesn't hamper visibility in rain or fog.
Posting head on pics of headlight to give color comparison between stock and upgraded headlights, though I could not take pictures to compare there different beam and spread patterns, I can assure you the throw and spread of X-treme visions give you significant gains over the stock. Even in these pics you can clearly see the spread of X-treme vision is better than the stock Philips 60/55W that came as stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170806_114151.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170806_114250.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170806_114004.jpg  

Old 6th August 2017, 18:50   #10624
BHPian

Hi all, I own an Aprilia SR150. I want to upgrade the headlights to more brighter ones.
Has anyone here done such upgrade?
What would be the ideal upgrade specs?
Can anyone suggest a dependable shop in Chennai where I can get this done with peace of mind?
Old 9th August 2017, 20:58   #10625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Even though the output is powerful, the range and throw is terribly shortlived and the high beam is slightly more focused on one side rather than a proper balance of 50-50 on the each side.
I think the headlight beam is supposed to be skewed to the passenger side, so as to minimise glare for oncoming drivers.

You could try brighter or higher wattage bulbs for more lumens, so that even the less lit areas are visible, or you could go for auxiliary lamps or light bars. Personally, I'd go for the latter, since that presents less damage to the reflector.
Old 9th August 2017, 23:46   #10626
BHPian

Re: Dual Head Lamp Relay?

It seems the relay box of my alto has conked off. The electrician asked me to source just the relay box(12V, 30A) and said rest of the wiring can be used as it is. Is it possible just to source the relay(Not the entire kit)?

If so, could you please suggest some places in and around south bangalore where I can source the same? Are there any particular brands?
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170809_233712_car-relay.jpg  

Old 10th August 2017, 06:05   #10627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
It seems the relay box of my alto has conked off. The electrician asked me to source just the relay box(12V, 30A) and said rest of the wiring can be used as it is. Is it possible just to source the relay(Not the entire kit)?
Very much possible to get just the relay at any Automobile spare/accessory ship and that would cost you around 200-300 INR only.

Regarding Brand, generally you may not get the same make as your Kit but whichever you get should work. Just make sure you carry this with you to get the right one. I see that what you have is "Super" which is quite popular and you should get the same as many stock these.

JK Automobiles on JC road is a popular shop. So is Popular Automobiles on AM Road (Off JC road). However, even a good accessory shop should be able to sell you just the relay.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 07:09   #10628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If so, could you please suggest some places in and around south bangalore where I can source the same? Are there any particular brands?
You can try other brands like Roots or Phillips if you don't get the above said brand. Any automobile spare part shop should be able to sell you this.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 23:14   #10629
BHPian

Re: Ceramic Holders for 100/90 in Alto?

Are ceramic holders neccesary for 100/90 head lamps in an Alto? The technician at Konarks said it is NOT so required and the one which came with the relay kit would suffice.

Please advise!
Old 14th August 2017, 23:39   #10630
BHPian

Re: Ceramic Holders for 100/90 in Alto?

Quote:
Are ceramic holders neccesary for 100/90 head lamps in an Alto? The technician at Konarks said it is NOT so required and the one which came with the relay kit would suffice.

Please advise!
Good quality relay kit will have the ceramic sockets only.
Old 15th August 2017, 00:37   #10631

I recently bought Aurora 20" S1 single row 100W led light bar with combo beam pattern. I was supposed to move back to India and wanted it on my next car back home, however, plans are on hold right now so I decided to test them out. The lights are little too white for my liking but that was expected as it was rated at 6000K temperature.
See technical details below along with pictures:
  • 20 - 5W CREE XTE White LEDs
  • 10,780 Lumens with a 1,210 Meter Beam Throw
  • Reflector pattern: Combination of Spot and Flood beams
  • 50,000+ hours average lifespan 5 years of continuous use
  • 96% optical/reflector efficiency
  • Light component capable of 9-36 Volt DC Input
  • 100% optically clear GE LEXAN lens
  • Instant on/off, no warm-up
  • Operating Temp: -40 ~ + 155 deg
  • Color Temperature: 6000-6500K
  • Dual-oversized heat sink
  • Low power consumption
  • IP68 Rating – Total protection against temporary immersion in water up to 1 meter for 30 minutes
  • IP69K Rating – Protection against close high pressure and high temperature wash downs
  • Military standard breather
  • Unique Durable Mar/UV resistant DuPont painting technology
  • Sealed waterproof Deutsch connector
  • Pass US Military Standards – US MIL-810-STD
  • High Temperature, Low Temperature, Temperature shock, UV, Humidity, Salt, Fog, Sand and Dust, Vibration, and Altitude Tested
  • E-mark, CE, Rohs, & SAE certification

Light Bar FrontView
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-01835f109e0e2b0fd99bbf1bc5783200d8444fe7eb.jpg
Wiring Components (Switch, Relay, Connector, Fuse)- I will change the switch as I don't like it
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-0105ed0e61cd1a9e15d21d079a547761072da506cb.jpg
Headlights(Low Beam)+Fog Lamps
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-01bb345c985c1451c833c5187d08416c23fd0beab6.jpg
LED Bar only with Hyperspot focused close
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-01259ad689f4393f48ca2f1710af8e0bcc4c0c3595.jpg
LED Bar only with hyperspot focused little further
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-01706a249973714398f7387f81d59c292b8d539d53.jpg
LED Bar+Headlights(Low Beam)+Fogs
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-0177486749452a8bc114301677e0268b41e0c34223.jpg
navtiwari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 14:13   #10632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navtiwari View Post
I recently bought Aurora 20" S1 single row 100W led light bar with combo beam pattern. I was supposed to move back to India and wanted it on my next car back home, however, plans are on hold right now so I decided to test them out. The lights are little too white for my liking but that was expected as it was rated at 6000K temperature.
I dont understand how you could use this on the road. This is better suited for off road applications. That Hotspot in the center will actually make the rest of the road darker which will be a safety hazard for you. These light bars are a perception that the excessively bright illumination will make night drives better. But it is just making things worse since your eyes will adjust to the bright light and whatever is out of the lit area will be unnoticed. Always prefer homogeneous beams which give an even spread of light and doesn't create a strong contrast with the surroundings. In this case even if the overall beam is dim your eyes will adapt to it. I wouldn't buy such a contraption for on the road driving even if I am paid for it.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th August 2017 at 19:06. Reason: Quoted post trimmed
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 19:48   #10633

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I dont understand how you could use this on the road. This is better suited for off road applications. That Hotspot in the center will actually make the rest of the road darker which will be a safety hazard for you. These light bars are a perception that the excessively bright illumination will make night drives better. But it is just making things worse since your eyes will adjust to the bright light and whatever is out of the lit area will be unnoticed. Always prefer homogeneous beams which give an even spread of light and doesn't create a strong contrast with the surroundings. In this case even if the overall beam is dim your eyes will adapt to it. I wouldn't buy such a contraption for on the road driving even if I am paid for it.
I do share your concern and I have no intentions of making this a hazard for me or other road users. The first image with hyperspot focus close to the vehicle is not going to be the configuration I will be using, it is only for demonstration. The purpose of hyperspot is to throw light beam at distance and my intended use of this light is only for off road/no traffic situation.

I would also like to see it making a difference to driving in foggy conditions, being from NCR region I have hit that white wall with zero visibility on numerous occasion . I do not want to drive fast but hoping for the drive to be less stressful.
Old 18th August 2017, 09:51   #10634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
I replaced my 2010 face-lift CRV halogen bulbs (which have projectors) with HID (Osram from the Bangalore distributor near Richmond Road) - just a plug and play for me.
In a similar situation of upgrading from Halogen to HID on Laura. Has Projectors for Low-beam by default.

You installed without any HID ballast? Nobody suggested such an option yet
Old 18th August 2017, 09:59   #10635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
In a similar situation of upgrading from Halogen to HID on Laura. Has Projectors for Low-beam by default.

You installed without any HID ballast? Nobody suggested such an option yet
@jacs - The HID comes with a ballast, am not talking about taking out Halogen bulb and putting in HID bulb. No modification (except wire connection as required) was done to the headlight.

The ballast is required in all HID upgrades as the voltage management is different from a halogen

Vivek
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks