Team-BHP - Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/93908-auto-lighting-thread-post-all-queries-about-automobile-lighting-here-560.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 3506729)
Yes, you can but you need to make sure you buy the right fitment. Match it to the oem bulbs.

Thank you straight6, but, Will any automotive electrical guy help me out here? Or she'd I go to a car accessories shop for this? Anybody who knows someone that can help out in chennai or coimbatore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil (Post 3506471)
Guys, I was wondering if I can change m present bulb setup (indicators and brakelights) to LED bulbs? my car is a volkswagen Vento HL TDI 2012, and i wanna know what changes i will have to do for the LED bulbs, if it can be done. my main area of concern is the turn indicators and the brake lights. kindly help, guys.

It is available online as well as accessory shops. Where ever you source it from, be sure you are getting CANBUS Error free LEDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil (Post 3506471)
Guys, I was wondering if I can change m present bulb setup (indicators and brakelights) to LED bulbs? my car is a volkswagen Vento HL TDI 2012, and i wanna know what changes i will have to do for the LED bulbs, if it can be done. my main area of concern is the turn indicators and the brake lights. kindly help, guys.

IIRC, your owners manual will have the details for every bulb used in the tail lamp, indicators, headlamps with the type of of holder + wattage specifically.

Use them and then buy the bulbs online. Not an issue at all.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3501625)
Expect the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs to be 50-60% better than stock.

Anurag.

Delix (another TBHP member) and I went accessories shopping today to a trusted wholesaler. He mentioned that stocks of Phillips car bulbs were very hard to procure at the moment as the lighting business was in the process of being hived off or sold (or something similar). He instead suggested H4 55W Osram Nightbreakers at Rs 1200 for a set inclusive of installation which he could source in 3-4 days.

I found this on the internet

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0F50F120140630

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3506805)
IIRC, your owners manual will have the details for every bulb used in the tail lamp, indicators, headlamps with the type of of holder + wattage specifically.

Use them and then buy the bulbs online. Not an issue at all.

Anurag.

Thank you Anurag, I will look it up and get them.. Such a simple but an effective solution. :) and I'm kinda a noob when it comes to fiddling with the electricals. Let me see how this pans out.

Any experience of HIDs in four headlight setups, without any projectors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3507041)

Please don't. You will blind others and most of the light from HIDs wouldn't even reach the road to illuminate it anyway

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3507041)

Yes.
No good.
And you will most probably end up finishing off the reflectors for good as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 3507055)
Please don't. You will blind others and most of the light from HIDs wouldn't even reach the road to illuminate it anyway

I have replaced the bulbs in my fogs with 55W 3000K HIDs and am happy with them. But then fogs are designed for a diffuse pattern to start with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3507204)
I have replaced the bulbs in my fogs with 55W 3000K HIDs and am happy with them. But then fogs are designed for a diffuse pattern to start with.

I have tried HIDs in my fog lamps. The effect was as good as having a low beam but a part of it illuminated even the trees up front.

I agree we have different cars but I speak from personal experience. YMMV.

I have HID in fogs in civic and it has a lot of glare. Even if I don't use headlights and use only the fogs I can see the light on the face of oncoming traffic. I use it only on highways so it gives lot of spread.

Tech Gurus, I need your help. I've 2012 Mahindra Scorpio SLE. One of my low beam bulbs is not working. I am planning to replace it with the spare bulb that came along with the car. But my friends ask me to replace both the bulbs with Phillips H4. I do not want to spend too much on a bulb and have to spend the same when it has be to be replaced if it drains my battery or blows my fuse. I donot know the technical specifications involved in replacing stock bulb with Phillips H4. I do not want to disturb any wiring or any existing setup with the headlamp console. Could you please recommend if I can replace the spare bulb / buy a pair of Philips H4. Will it void the vehicle warranty if i replace the stock bulb with an aftermarket one.

Got the FXR 3.0 Stage IV with the Osram Xenarc 66420 Nightbreaker (4200K) on my friend's i20. The results are amazing even with the bulb in the break-in period (yes, breakin period of 20 hours).

The mobile camera is slightly overexposed and a lot whiter. In reality it matches the Halogens intensity with whitish color. Absolutely no issue of visibility in the rains (note only moderate rain, need to check under heavy shower)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReT4uROhBoU

HIDs should not be used in headlamps that are designed for filament bulbs. The reflectors unless designed for HID bulbs, will scatter light in every direction. The problem is the focal point of the bulb. The reflector is a parabolic mirror, whose point of focus resides the standard headlamp bulb. A HID bulb’s light is not made at the same point as the filament bulb – which means that the parabolic mirror is not channeling the emitted light as a parallel beam of light, but one that is potentially widely scattered. Poorly focused light like this will project well beyond the designed beam dispersal pattern, potentially causing glare and dazzling on-coming traffic.

A reflector designed for filament bulb showing scatter of light from filament bulb as well as HID bulb
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-incorrect_focus.jpg

HID manufacturers had come up with a solution to this problem so that existing cars with headlamps designed for filament bulbs can retrofit HIDs in the reflector type headlamps without the uncontrolled scattering of light and dazzling of on-coming traffic.

Below you can see 2 types of HID bulbs
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hid4k_bulb_02_full.jpg
One is a plain HID bulb and the other with masking in place to prevent more than 1 hot spot which gives the single hot spot effect of a filament bulb. AFAIK even these are not legal but at least these will not blind the on-coming traffic like plain HID bulbs without the masking. This is why even the fog lamps dazzle when fitted with HID bulbs.

HIDs are best used with projectors. But again if the aftermarket projector is not of good quality, it might harm fellow motorists as well as not be efficient enough.

Well, I don't use HIDs in reflectors myself or encourage using it, but thought of sharing this info hoping that it might create some awareness as to where the real problem lies and what should be taken care of, for those who want better light output or HIDs.

Another tip for those who are looking for performance lighting (as in, to properly lit up the road) and not plain aesthetics (blue, purple lighting etc.) is that higher color temperature does not mean better light output. Best light output is in 4,000K - 4,500K range. That is why OE HIDs are always within that range, usually around 4,300/4,350K. As you go up on the Kelvin scale, it effectively reduces the illumination. Especially on a rainy night it becomes pretty useless if you go for higher color temp.

I put these in my mom's Alto yesterday to replace the Philips Rally 130/100 which lasted well over 2 years (Infact 1 bulb is still working which I've kept as a spare). The Bosch obviously are no match but they're ok. They're also shorter in length than the Philips.

I've personally never used anything apart from the Rally 130/100 in all my cars till date so can't compare these with the Rally 100/90. At 160 bucks for the pair I'm not complaining.