Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:37   #6661
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
It comes in the stock wattage of 60/55W and use 4300K bulbs and not the higher ones.
XV gives slightly white light compared to NB+. The white ones that you see on the roads are HID/xenon.
Since you have a new car it would be better to go for the replacement of the stock bulbs with same wattage. In case you are not satisfied you can always go for other options later on.

It is not that the relectors would be damaged, but there is always a higher possibility of this with the excess heat. Other cons are battery drainage and possibility of dust entering the headlight assembly. The cable has to be inserted through a hole in the rubber cap at the back of the headlight assembly. If this is not sealed properly, dust may enter the headlight assembly through the gap.

This is only meant to tell you the possibilities, you need to weigh the options and take a decision on your own. If you go through the thread from the start you will see many members using 100/90W in their cars for 2/3 years without any damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Well, they advertise that there will be over 90% improvement for option b but dont expect that. Say something between 30-40% improvement (atleast from my personal experience).

Pure white light is very hard and cannot be achieved when it comes to halogens. There will be a tinge of white light and will stand out from stock halogens (see pic few pages back). For pure white light you will need to go for HID's which is not recommended to be used with reflectors. If you are planning to stick with stock wattage, just ask for 55w bulbs. Just replace the bulbs and you are good to go.
Ok guys, as a start, will go with the stock wattage and Philips. Is this job to be done by a workshop guy or can be DIY. If DIY, is there a guide/walkthrough I can follow?

PS: Going through this thread from the beginning, quite a learner.

Edit: Was going through Philips website and came across this
http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...more%20light#0

There are quite a lot product listings, but some have similar description. Which one should I choose? Can this be sourced online? Any fakes doing rounds?
Any pointers in Hyderabad.

Last edited by dre@ms : 2nd December 2012 at 10:45.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:08   #6662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Not even a month & RHS 100/90 are gone !
Got a replacement. One more & i'll go back to the stock ones. Had a chat with the friendly neighborhood spare parts retailer. "No matter whether they are Halonix or Philips, excessive heat always takes it's toll" . Any suggestions ? Should i revert back to stock ones, or any other 60/55 w ones? Is there any solution to excessive heat generated ?
Guess that was a manufacturing defect or improperly installed. I have been running 100/90 which I installed myself and they are fine from around two years. No fused bulbs. Excessive heat does take its toll, but that will have a reduction of life in the bulb compared to a normal bulb. But that does not mean your bulb will fuse so soon. Be careful so as to not touch the bulb glass anytime and also wipe it with alcohol or a cleaning spray before you install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Percentage improvement is difficult to say but option (b) is perceived to give better results. The bulbs Philips Rally or Hella are ordinary bulbs, not even halogen.
They all are halogen bulbs my friend.

Percentage improvement will be stated by the company in their tests. However, the improvement you get out of your light assembly depends upon
  • The quality of previous bulbs. If you switch from a regular philips bulb to Xtreme vision, like what I had done once, improvement is very marginal. However, switch from a local brand, like Jagan etc, or even Halonix and you will find some difference.
  • The ability of the reflector to properly spread light to the reqiured area.
  • The condition of the electrical system. The output of a halogen bulb varies with small changes in the voltage supplied to it. So suppose your holders are not good enough or there is excessive drop in the circuit, your output will be compromised. Hence, check for proper voltage levels at the holder. It should be more than 13 volts when the engine is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Also, what is that bulge in the middle of the bulb? Is that its design?
Think someone has touched that part before installing the bulb. The oils left on the glass will heat up as the bulb heats, and will eventually melt that region of the glass, thus forming a bulge due to the pressure. He was lucky the bulb did not burst, else the reflector would be full of smoke and debris.

Last edited by audioholic : 2nd December 2012 at 11:21.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:17   #6663
BHPian

Quote:
Not even a month & RHS 100/90 are gone !
Which bulbs are these? And why the blue filter? I've been using 100/90 for over a year with zero issues. Did two 10 hour night trips as well. Of course I turned off the lights at every toll booth so that they can cool off a bit but that's pretty much it.

Here's what I used to upgrade the lamps on my car -

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-headlight-kit.jpg

It was a one hour DIY and turned out perfect. The engine bay looks absolutely stock. One of these days I will put up a DIY guide.

Some tips which may help you:
  • Get genuine bulbs from a reputed seller. Avoid filtered types.
  • Use a proper wiring harness with fuses. Again, good brand from a good seller.
  • Turn off the headlights when the car is stationary. Even if just for 15 secs.
  • Try not to flash the highs too much. Especially if your car is wired to leave the low beam turned on when flashing. Most cars automatially switch off the low beam when flashing. Else it will overheat. But some cars dont.

Also, what is that bulge in the middle of the bulb? Is that its design?

Last edited by Tassem : 2nd December 2012 at 11:26.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:58   #6664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Ok guys, as a start, will go with the stock wattage and Philips. Is this job to be done by a workshop guy or can be DIY. If DIY, is there a guide/walkthrough I can follow?

There are quite a lot product listings, but some have similar description. Which one should I choose? Can this be sourced online? Any fakes doing rounds?
Any pointers in Hyderabad.
It's just a matter of replacing the bulbs. Just see whether you can easily access the holder. If so you can remove them and install the new bulbs. If you are not confident it's best left to the installers. There are many models available. Kindly check the thread and see which model among Philips is recommended. Since I havent used Philips, I guess other users can comment on this.

You can easily source it online but I recommend you to go the shop and purchase it. This way you can decide and change if you are not satisfied.
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:01   #6665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
It's just a matter of replacing the bulbs. Just see whether you can easily access the holder. If so you can remove them and install the new bulbs. If you are not confident it's best left to the installers. There are many models available. Kindly check the thread and see which model among Philips is recommended. Since I havent used Philips, I guess other users can comment on this.

You can easily source it online but I recommend you to go the shop and purchase it. This way you can decide and change if you are not satisfied.
Let me try to see how the assembly/outer mould is made in my City. If it is easily removable, then will try to see if I can replace it myself.
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:25   #6666
BHPian

Guys,

I have been itching to get some sort of DRLs in my Fuidic Verna.
This is what I came across on aliexpress.com
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-capture.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-D...664937310.html

The seller is asking for usd50 + usd32 for shipping to india.

Has anyone tried aliexpress here, are they reliable and what do you guys think abou the product?
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:55   #6667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Same here. Do you know if the seller is willing to ship individually? Most dealers on AE only do wholesale. Especially for the cool stuff lol.

This is what I have at the moment. The strips are not visible from the outside.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-upload.jpg

OT - Have you seen the DRL that comes on the new i20? If only they launched something similar for our cars. The i20 DRL is too big for my taste. But since the verna has sleeker fog lamps, it ought to look much better.
Old 2nd December 2012, 16:05   #6668
BHPian

Quote:
Same here. Do you know if the seller is willing to ship individually? Most dealers on AE only do wholesale. Especially for the cool stuff lol..
I told the seller to send me a sample and I will pay for it. If i like it, i will order the whole lot of 100 pairs.

Quote:
OT - Have you seen the DRL that comes on the new i20? If only they launched something similar for our cars. The i20 DRL is too big for my taste. But since the verna has sleeker fog lamps, it ought to look much better.
Ya, i also dont like the i20 ones much. This seller told me that he is also working with Hyundai Korea. Maybe the facelift of the verna might come with these as OEM?
Old 2nd December 2012, 17:50   #6669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guess that was a manufacturing defect or improperly installed.

Think someone has touched that part before installing the bulb. The oils left on the glass will heat up as the bulb heats, and will eventually melt that region of the glass, thus forming a bulge due to the pressure. He was lucky the bulb did not burst, else the reflector would be full of smoke and debris.
Quote:
Which bulbs are these? And why the blue filter?

The bulge is because it got fused , maybe that particular part got overheated.

They don't actually look like this. They are very much transparent with a slight blue hint.
The bulbs are Halonix ones.
Thanks ! I guess greasy hands must be the culprit. I don't remember him using any sort of cleaning aids before installations.

Should i change both to Philips ones or can i use them for now?
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:18   #6670
BHPian

Quote:
Should i change both to Philips ones or can i use them for now?
Well its a good idea to change both the bulbs in one go. Should this happen again, you do not want to take the risk of it imploding in your headlight assembly. That would kill the reflector. Not to mention posing a fire hazard.

Why live with stress? Get new bulbs. Make sure its original and without any filters. Also, if your harness is not genuine, change that too. Poor harnesses would overheat and fail over a period of time.

Its all worth the peace of mind
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:46   #6671
BHPian

Quote:
Well its a good idea to change both the bulbs in one go.
Thank You Sir ! Will change em asap. BTW harness is the hella one with relay. Costed 600+ bucks. Pretty sure it's original.
Will go for the philips rally ones. White light reflects a lot from chrome strips on Dzires , forts, cabbies.
Old 2nd December 2012, 19:01   #6672
BHPian

Quote:

Here's what I used to upgrade the lamps on my car -

Attachment 1020833

It was a one hour DIY and turned out perfect. The engine bay looks absolutely stock. One of these days I will put up a DIY guide.

Some tips which may help you:
Is this for the new verna or old? would love to see the DIY guide and set myself on light upgrades!
Old 2nd December 2012, 19:12   #6673
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried adding an additional single filament bulb by drilling the stock reflector along with a relay ?
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:50   #6674
BHPian

Guys,I want to install LED headlamps in my car.Which one will fit my bills?

Cheers,

Kaushik.
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:09   #6675
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Guys,

This is what I came across on aliexpress.com
Attachment 1020904

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-D...664937310.html

The seller is asking for usd50 + usd32 for shipping to india.

Has anyone tried aliexpress here, are they reliable and what do you guys think abou the product?
I have used aliexpress got projector lights for my cruze from them only .. kindly crosscheck the shipping mode.. I got mine through EMS and it took 27 days for delivery , Delhi customs took whopping 13days to clear the product .. also check the custom duty involved . I paid Rs2.2K as custom duty on my product at local postoffice .
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-teambhp1.jpg  

Sivia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks