Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 21:35   #6181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

With stock reflectors, get yourself a good set of 90/100 bulbs along with a relay and if you wish you can add ceramic holder's with them too.

Cheers,
Sameer
Hi Sameer,

Thank you for the response. Could you also suggest which company/model bulbs should I go for, also which relay.

Is ceramic holder a must or just safe side.

Thanks again.
Old 18th June 2012, 23:29   #6182
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
do i have to remove the entire HL assembly or is there an easier way ?
IMO, you won't need to remove the complete HL assembly. I also had replaced the stock HL bulbs (yup, it was a 'DIY' with Osram NB+ only) of my Fabia, a few months ago. I would rather suggest you to go through the User Manual for instructions, it is very easy & just a 5 min. job!
Hope, this helps.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:07   #6183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Want to replace the stock bulbs on my VW Polo with Osram NB+, do i have to remove the entire HL assembly or is there an easier way ?
You dont have to remove it. Some people remove it to ease the access. They will either remove it and push it out of the bumper to fit the bulbs easily. If you can reach the socket, you dont have to remove it.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:20   #6184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Hi Sameer,

Thank you for the response. Could you also suggest which company/model bulbs should I go for, also which relay.

Is ceramic holder a must or just safe side.

Thanks again.
Relay and bulb- I will suggest you to go ahead with Hella relay, along with Hella 90/100 bulbs or you can try Philips, Halonex.

Ceramic holders are just to be on safe side. Current setup on my ride is Halonex 90/100 bulbs with relay, i am using it for last 2 years without ceramic holders and they are are working like a charm without any issues.

So, ceramic holder's are good to have not necessary to have.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 20th June 2012, 00:02   #6185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
IMO, you won't need to remove the complete HL assembly. I also had replaced the stock HL bulbs (yup, it was a 'DIY' with Osram NB+ only) of my Fabia, a few months ago. I would rather suggest you to go through the User Manual for instructions, it is very easy & just a 5 min. job!
Hope, this helps.
Thanks for the response, it was far from simple though

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
You dont have to remove it. Some people remove it to ease the access. They will either remove it and push it out of the bumper to fit the bulbs easily. If you can reach the socket, you dont have to remove it.
It wasn't easy to work near the socket without removing the HL assembly. So had to remove it almost completely for a small bulb change.

For those looking to replace the stock bulbs on VW Polo, here's a few tips:

I would recommend you start with the left hand side headlight, as i found its easier to work on than the right hand side.

1.You will have to remove the HL assembly as i found it hard to access the bulb area without doing so. More so with the right hand side HL, as the diesel filter prevents easy access.

2.To remove the HL assembly, you will need a torx screwdriver which can be found in the tool box of your car.

3.There are a total of 3 screws to unscrew, before the HL can be removed. Once the three screws are removed, you have to free the HL assembly from a lock. For this, push the HL upwards, applying pressure from the parking light area.

4.Once the HL assembly is released from the lock, you have to detach the parking light connector, Indicator bulb and also the HL connector. Parking light connector is held in position by a lock so take that off, indicator bulb is a simple twist and pull job, the HL connector has to be pulled out.

5.Once you've removed all the connectors, the HL can be tilted to your convenience to access the bulb.

6.You will find a rubber cover where the bulb is present, you will have to remove that. Fairly simple.

7.The bulb is held in place by a lock. Push down and then to the side to free the bulb from the lock. The bulb can now be pulled out.

8. Put in the replacement bulb(h4) in place of the stock bulb and put back the entire assembly.

The manual was of little help, and VW service guys were even worse. All they had to say was get the car to the SS.

Not a very easy 'DIY' but certainly not tough. If you try it out,have fun and i hope my post was of help
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 08:05   #6186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

Relay and bulb- I will suggest you to go ahead with Hella relay, along with Hella 90/100 bulbs or you can try Philips, Halonex.

Ceramic holders are just to be on safe side. Current setup on my ride is Halonex 90/100 bulbs with relay, i am using it for last 2 years without ceramic holders and they are are working like a charm without any issues.

So, ceramic holder's are good to have not necessary to have.

Cheers,
Sameer
Thanks Buddy. Appreciate your help. Right now want to go with something which is tested and proved, so halonex is my current bet.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:30   #6187
Senior - BHPian

I know I have asked this question earlier as well, but still some outstanding queries I have.
1>Are there seperate designs for projectos that can be used for halogen lamps and one for HIDs?
2>Can the projectos supplied with XUV 500 can also be used for HIDs?
3>Does fitting ballasts and HIDs in XUV require any special wiring/wires to cut and may void warranty of that section?

I guess, I shall also cehck with M&M on point#3 for more details.
The reason I'm asking is the throw of the low beams on the OE lamps is short, even with the leveler set to max, I dont get to see beyond certain distance (this looks to be a safety feature, too tight!!!). This distance is ok in the city drive however, on hihways its surely short with high speeds, I had a couple sharp turns came in as a surprises on Kanakpura road while my recent trip. I started using high beam since then and used to drop it when I see an oncoming vehicle. I'd love to bring in HIDs if that can make use of the OE projectors well and provide good reach on highways.
Thanks.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:41   #6188
Senior - BHPian

@Ketan; The filanet or discharge zones in Halogen and HID are different. It the Halogen it is across the bulb, while in an HID it is long the direction of the bulb. This any properly designed light, Projector or otherwise will have a slightly different design. Many people do use the same light holders as supplied for Halogens. Careful realignment is highly desirable here.

For ballasts proper adapters are available which need no cutting. However, may people prefer a separate line from the battery to handle the high initial current of the HID. Here also there is no cutting, but more elaborate wiring.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 12:30   #6189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Thanks Buddy. Appreciate your help. Right now want to go with something which is tested and proved, so halonex is my current bet.
Great, do post your experience with them after the change.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 20th June 2012, 15:49   #6190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Ketan; The filanet or discharge zones in Halogen and HID are different. It the Halogen it is across the bulb, while in an HID it is long the direction of the bulb. This any properly designed light, Projector or otherwise will have a slightly different design. Many people do use the same light holders as supplied for Halogens. Careful realignment is highly desirable here.

For ballasts proper adapters are available which need no cutting. However, may people prefer a separate line from the battery to handle the high initial current of the HID. Here also there is no cutting, but more elaborate wiring.
Thank you sir,

I will get it checked with M&M tech and find out if we can get it done without cutting wires on it. If so, I'm going to give it a try for sure.
Old 22nd June 2012, 00:36   #6191
BHPian

Hey guys I have a green skoda octavia and I require a twin projector set up on it. Can any one suggest a good place in Chennai which is reliable. I am also scared that the vision might go bad as these projectors when not aligned properly may host big problems.

I also checked quiet a few setup of Octavia but not quiet satisfied with them. A company called Dayline makes custom aftermarket for octavia but they are expensive.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd June 2012 at 02:14. Reason: Please avoid putting-up consecutive posts. Use the 'Edit' function henceforth. Thanks :)
Old 25th June 2012, 12:29   #6192
Senior - BHPian

THis is how my car looks after the projector setup
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-550687_10151059752621495_554397950_n.jpg  

desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 12:46   #6193
BHPian

@desideep
The set up looks neat. Can you switch on the angle eyes and post pics. How is the vision at night. And is it a 6000k xenon?

Last edited by Cyberpirate : 25th June 2012 at 12:55.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:50   #6194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I had them installed on my Tucson. See snapshot below

...the optics in this kit is of below average quality and a trained eye could easily point out their design deficiencies. Though the light output looked marginally better than OE, I was not satisfied with the beam spread. Tested with HID's instead of Halogens in these projector for better illumination but the beam pattern is still not great since these projectors are designed for halogen lamps and not for HID burners. Also you'll lose the motorized HL level adjustment since this kit does not have the provision to directly mate with the OE level adjustment motor.

I had it removed in 3 days flat and in my opinion, they are not worth installing unless you plan to change the projectors to something scientifically designed like the ones from Hella/TSX/FX35/Morimoto and put HID's too (an additional $300 - $400 or so). Since I really likes the looks of it (removes Tucson's quirky stare to a large extend) and having already purchased this kit, that's what I'm planning to do when time permits.
Hi Anoop,

Just to make sure I understand this right - you are saying these headlights are good but the projector optics inside is not good? So can we change the inside optics and that's what you were planning? Finally, have you gotten around to do this? Can you help me as well? And if the internal optics can be separately bought and replaced, can it be done on the stock OEM headlamps? Or we need to buy the new headlamps?

Again, I am new to the HID and overall headlamp terminology so trying to understand things and get the right stuff for my Tucson.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:24   #6195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Just to make sure I understand this right - you are saying these headlights are good but the projector optics inside is not good? So can we change the inside optics and that's what you were planning? Finally, have you gotten around to do this?
You got it right... the projector optics inside the PnP kit was not worth the money and it could possibly be changed to better ones. But I have not got time myself to do it and the kit is lying with me unused from the time I uninstalled it (day 3 or so). That kit also didn't support the motorized HL level adjustment and it was one of the main reasons why I was not too keen in modifying it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
And if the internal optics can be separately bought and replaced, can it be done on the stock OEM headlamps? Or we need to buy the new headlamps?
My suggestion would be to modify the stock headlights to add good quality after market projectors. This way, it will also retain important functionality like motorized HL Level adjustment which was missing in my PnP HL kit.

There are various ways and options to convert the stock headlight to support a multitude of projectors but invariably you'll have to open up the sealed headlight assembly and IMHO, is best done by experts to avoid future hassles. The better projectors would also involve permanent modifications (drill/cut) to the stock reflectors though there are PnP projectors (Ex. Morimoto) which can be bolted from inside onto the H4 socket once you open the sealed beams. I have installed a few MoriMoto projectors in my cars (and a few friend's) and to be frank, I'm not very impressed with their High-Beam throw at speeds above 100. I'd suggest you to get FX-R or Hella or better projectors and if you are interested, I'll PM you the details of one such professional who is proven to be quite good at these conversions. I guess he is not there in this forum and and you'll have to ship the headlights to him or visit him in Cochin or work out some other arrangements with him.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 26th June 2012 at 11:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks