Team-BHP - Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/93908-auto-lighting-thread-post-all-queries-about-automobile-lighting-here-41.html)

I may sound stupid but, my knowledge in auto light is poor. I have Palio. I got it right that this has the setup which needs separate bulbs for High and Low. So in this case, if I have to ask for the vision plus or any equal type bulbs in a shop, what should I be asking. I mean for high and for low what type should I look for.

Firebird, Palio has very good lights. If you find the light in your car is not adequate, the culprit may be old reflectors.
Get the reflectors and headlight glass checked and cleaned. Only after that take the new bulb option.
You can take your existing bulbs and get vision+ replacement for the same.
I have experience only with H4, not with Palio type. other palio owners may be able to help you.
That said, if you can get originals in Vision+ (Go to philips distributor, not street shop) it will be great.
Other option in + series is Bosch 30%+, Or Osram silverstar +50%

Hi Tsk1979 and others,

Thank you for your inputs. I think I will go to CP and get the Philips +80% . I looked at the Safari's manual and it doesn't mention anything regarding the type or specification of the bulb except that it comes with a halogen bulb and the process of replacing the bulb. I am thinking maybe I could try replacing the bulb myself.

I would need a H4 type of bulb. Now, would I need 2 or 4 of these? As I understand H4 type is for a single bulb that contains two filaments (Both for high and low beam). Please provide your advise on this.

Thanks,
-Sumit

Guys, How can I put this on my 04 Safari Tdi?

It has two bulbs on either side, one for low beam and one for high beam, if I am not mistaken.

For Safari main light you would need total 2 H4 bulbs
Older TCIC safari had separate high low beam, so there you would need 4 bulbs, though I am not sure of the type.
Proxima, take out the old bulbs and see what type they are.

Based on that choose Bosch/Vision+/Osram etc., 30-50%+ bulb.

@ Firebird, I'd upgraded my Palio's bulbs to Philips Rallys a few weeks back - 100w H1s and 80w H7s. I also had to add a Bosch Relay. I don't remember the exact total, but it was Rs.1600/- or Rs.1800/- total.

The light was all right earlier with the stock bulbs. But with the heavy rains and the poor roads (also usually unlit), I felt an upgrade would be nice.

I never drive with the brights on in the city, but the new lights do help me to flash oncoming traffic (with undipped lights) into submission :). The light (both spread and throw) has improved substantially and I'm really happy with the upgrade.

hydra, along with the relay did you also change the stock wiring?
If not do so ASAP.
The reason is that stock wiring will give you a significant voltage drop with higher wattage bulbs, so you won't be using them to their full potential.
In some cases it may also damage wiring.
Its like using a thin copper wire for your ICE ;)
Normally Roots/Bosch etc., relays also have complementing wiring kits.
You can buy a roots wiring kit + ceramic holders for 350 odd.
Ceramic holders are important because stock holders may get damaged due to high heat.

Whoops! The wires did get changed with the relay (it was a full kit, like you said), but not the holders! I'll get this done ASAP. Thanks for the heads up :)

Whew! Just checked. The holders had also got changed (duh!) The whole shebang was one full kit-thing I guess :D (Whatta relief)!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swathyd (Post 504633)
I am going to buy silverstar tomorrow.

Bought and got it fitted, but sincerely speaking not any difference found. I think this 50 + and all are gimmicks.

Another thing is that light from right and left have different throw and quality. I got my right changed after 3 days of delivery due to water presence, it is the right which has poor light.

Phew, got the delivery of the much awaited Philips Extreme Power (80%+). Fitted them last night. The difference is visible but whether worth Rs. 1600, only time will tell.

Ok I fitted the Halonix +60 100/90.

I'm SO DISAPPOINTED. The are like stock 60/55 which are as useless as anything else. The Philips Bluevision 100/90 I had were 10 times better. I don't know whether to get the same ones now or try Narva / Osram. Any suggestions guys?

Which car..?
Did you get a Relay/Wiring upgrade?
If you look at the comparison pics between Narva and Halonix on my Indica, you will see that the Halonix were much brighter than the Narva.

Which is the best in the 100/90 category in terms of light intensity and throw.
Experts pls advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 507555)
Ok I fitted the Halonix +60 100/90.

I'm SO DISAPPOINTED. The are like stock 60/55 which are as useless as anything else. The Philips Bluevision 100/90 I had were 10 times better. I don't know whether to get the same ones now or try Narva / Osram. Any suggestions guys?

i have narva 100/90 white bulbs. they are very bright. but i dont know about halonix.