Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 13:48   #4351
BHPian

Hella relay kit & Philips bulb

After going through the thread for quiet a few days, finally changed the headlight bulb on my Wagon R to a 90/100 Philips along with a Hella relay kit. Price 800 for relay and 200 for 2 bulbs.
`
Driving at night has certainly become a lot easier after this upgrade and would recommend this to bhpians.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 5th October 2010 at 13:51.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:59   #4352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
After going through the thread for quiet a few days, finally changed the headlight bulb on my Wagon R to a 90/100 Philips along with a Hella relay kit. Price 800 for relay and 200 for 2 bulbs.
`
Driving at night has certainly become a lot easier after this upgrade and would recommend this to bhpians.
@SP - congrats buddy. Glad to hear that you r satisfied with the results. It would be better if you post the pics so that other members can get to see this.
Safe driving.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:17   #4353
BHPian

Guys: Does anyone know if a Swift is equipped with a company fitted Headlight relay. I could locate the relay for the fogs in the fuse box (in the bonnet) but none for the headlights.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:36   #4354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
Guys: Does anyone know if a Swift is equipped with a company fitted Headlight relay. I could locate the relay for the fogs in the fuse box (in the bonnet) but none for the headlights.
R u sure you located the relay.? Stock light do not need any since it can withstand the battery power. Higher rated bulbs use relays. Kindly confirm this.
Thanks
Old 6th October 2010, 17:45   #4355
BHPian

Yes, fog light does have a relay - located in the fuse box in the bonnet. It is even mentioned in the car service manual (i have dzire) but just could not locate it for the H/L.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:58   #4356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Stock light do not need any since it can withstand the battery power. Higher rated bulbs use relays. Kindly confirm this.
Thanks
Did you mean to say the stock wires can withstand the current drawn by stock lamps from battery?

The HL relays are used for protecting low current capable stock wiring and also for providing the least length (lower resistance) path between the bulbs and the battery which would mean minimal losses and better light output.

I could be wrong, but IMO, all vehicles should have a stock headlight relay...At least all my 4 wheelers had it by default.

IMHO it would be bad design practice (and costly) to route high current to the stalk HL switch. Using a relay is cheaper, sturdier and efficient in power transfer (minimal losses).
Old 7th October 2010, 10:13   #4357
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, am not too sure on this.
When I installed higher rated bulbs, I bought a relay for this particular bulb. Didnt even have a clue that the stock bulbs had relays.
I think fellow bhpians can help you on this
Old 7th October 2010, 12:14   #4358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post

I could be wrong, but IMO, all vehicles should have a stock headlight relay...At least all my 4 wheelers had it by default.

IMHO it would be bad design practice (and costly) to route high current to the stalk HL switch. Using a relay is cheaper, sturdier and efficient in power transfer (minimal losses).
You are correct Sir, Most modern vehicles manufactured post 2000, have OE HL relays!
Old 7th October 2010, 12:22   #4359
BHPian

Hey guys, Does anyone know what size bulbs come in the fog lights of the alto k 10 vxi. are they H1, H7 or like the swift H8?
Old 7th October 2010, 14:12   #4360
BHPian

Is philips 100/90 rally discontinued ? I couldn't find any model called rally in philips india website. Only H4 24568 RA and H4 24569 RA is shown in 100/90W.

Also where can i get this ceramic holder ? Is there any specific brands to go for ?
Old 7th October 2010, 14:23   #4361
BHPian

The notice on the packet (100/90s and the 130/100s) says its not street legal in Europe/not for sale in Europe or something of that kind. Not sure if the bulbs are manufactured in India though.

Its better to buy the headlight wiring kit readily available in any accessory shop. Roots/Hella make good ones. Hellas are harder to fin though.The kit comes with the complete wiring, ceramic holders, relays and fuses for the high and low beams. This way you play safe and avoid tampering the original wiring.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 14:28   #4362
Senior - BHPian

I have a basic doubt - A silly noob question.

Why do people switch on ALL lights in their vehicle [I mean HL High Beam as well as Fog lights and extra lights] in city traffic?

I also find that some are interested in changing the FOG lamps to HIDs etc..Dont you consider it an overkill?

Cheers
Old 7th October 2010, 14:31   #4363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I have a basic doubt - A silly noob question.

Why do people switch on ALL lights in their vehicle [I mean HL High Beam as well as Fog lights and extra lights] in city traffic?

I also find that some are interested in changing the FOG lamps to HIDs etc..Dont you consider it an overkill?

Cheers
People change fogs to HIDs just for the bling factor. It's only for looks. People who think that it will improve the visibility when using HID;s in fogs, then they are absolutely wrong.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:12   #4364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
People change fogs to HIDs just for the bling factor. It's only for looks. People who think that it will improve the visibility when using HID;s in fogs, then they are absolutely wrong.
A +10 to above. Infact we need yellow or colored lights for better penetration in FOG!!
Old 7th October 2010, 15:47   #4365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A +10 to above. Infact we need yellow or colored lights for better penetration in FOG!!
Yep. Yellow lights will only penetrate the fogs. So anything that's white is just for bling factor.
Even I had plans of doing so . And even mite do it soon.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th December 2010 at 10:30. Reason: Please stick to the two-smileys-per-post rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks