Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:28   #4066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Hi BR - There must be some mistake, Sprocket guys are fine, i just installed the ANHC HID kit from them last week !! Speak to John of Sprocket, hes their main technical guy, he will give you more information on the options available to you !
Hi Nirmal,
Thanks for that. Oh Did you get the whole installation done from Sprocket?
I could have joined you.
Now that I have installed HID kit, would he be interested to fit just projector assembly?
Anyway,I'll speak to him.

Thanks once again
BR
Old 4th August 2010, 00:33   #4067
BHPian

Did not get any replies to my earlier post so I'm quoting it below. Any idea why my bulbs are burning out? Should I replace the relay? I am planning on getting nightbreakers and would be extremely irritated if my car burns 900 Rs bulbs every couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I have 90/100 Phillips H4 bulbs through a relay on my Swift. Problem is that they seem to burn out rather quickly. After driving about 5k km one filament inevitably burns out. Even though the holders are ceramic, the left bulb has generated enough heat to melt the wires twice in the last 6 months.
What could the problem be?
Also, how much discount should a I be getting on mrp on Osram nightbreakers?
Old 4th August 2010, 01:54   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
King of my world - The effect is really neat how about the safety aspect of installing them like that, any danger from small stones thrown up while driving ? Water entry during monsoons, etc ?
As of now there are no issues as such. Its pretty decent actually. Doesnt spoil the look of the stock car, nor does it work only as a show piece. These fogs can do something for sure. I guess they'll throw more light if I get HIDs.

@motomaverick : I'll post pics soon. These are hella optillux 1102 projector fogs. Google them and you'll get a hella's official wesite. You have different models, Round, oval, rectangular etc. Obviously the rectangulars are not projectors but are designated as driving lights so they must be powerful according to me.

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 4th August 2010 at 01:58.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:59   #4069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Did not get any replies to my earlier post so I'm quoting it below. Any idea why my bulbs are burning out? Should I replace the relay? I am planning on getting nightbreakers and would be extremely irritated if my car burns 900 Rs bulbs every couple of months.
That must be serious problem.
Are you using branded relays and bulbs? If not, please use them. Including the wires.
I had used Osram Cool blue bulbs in my swift for 3 months without any problem.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:52   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That must be serious problem.
Are you using branded relays and bulbs? If not, please use them. Including the wires.
I had used Osram Cool blue bulbs in my swift for 3 months without any problem.
90/100 modification was done at my regular MASS and I''m pretty sure that they would not shortchange me on quality. The relay is definitely a branded one and the wires seem to be pretty thick. The same conversion was done earlier on my M800 and there were absolutely no problems for 65k km. I always use Philips H4 bulbs. Could the relay have gone kaput?
Old 4th August 2010, 21:02   #4071
BHPian

Roy, not sure which MASS you got it done at, but such modifications aren't done due to issues with warranty !

Get them to thoroughly check out all the components of the system - wiring, relays, holder, bulbs etc. Like Naveen suggested, check the brand of relay, wiring used, etc

If components properly installed, you shouldn't have any issues like this !

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 4th August 2010 at 21:05.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:33   #4072
Distinguished - BHPian

It's really a shocker when you said that you got it done at MASS. These guys generally dont take up some mods. I tried this approach but was let down by them.
I suspect that the problem is with the relay or the wires. Check whether these are branded components. Relay and wires are playing a major role here. So you cant compromise on quality. This can cause serious damage. If you are using branded ones and still facing problems, I suggest you to move away from them. Try installing HID since they consume less power and heat.

Cheers mate.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:02   #4073
BHPian

Corolla headlight change

Hello Bhpian's !
I have a toyota corolla 2008 model (not altis) and do regular highway trips on state highways at night,which are in not so great shape.Hence I felt the need to upgrade the headlights of my car.
Corolla has HB3 halogen 60W bulbs for high beam and HB4 51W for low beams.Both are KIOTO from japan as OEM.I dont have fog lights in my car,since its a J model.
Now after browsing through the thread I increased my Gyan and found out that 100/90 W are the best upgrade.Now I have a barrage of questions
1) Can I change only the High beam to 100/90 W and keep the low beam as it is.
2) if so do I have to get relay and wiring? Does corolla have a relay preinstalled?? (for high beam 10A fuses are installed,got this info from fuse box)
3) what are the options in 100/90 bulbs?? I want MORE light,and LONG throw,white/blue light will be an added advantage,but MORE/LONG is the main criteria for upgrade
4) Can I put Xenon bulbs directly into highbeam?
5) Can I put HID's,whats the cost?
6) Is corolla's headlight assembly projector type?? If yes.does it increase my options for upgrade?
Early replies will get a surprise gift from me

Last edited by inder : 5th August 2010 at 10:05.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:49   #4074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Hello Bhpian's !
I have a toyota corolla 2008 model (not altis) and do regular highway trips on state highways at night,which are in not so great shape.Hence I felt the need to upgrade the headlights of my car.
Corolla has HB3 halogen 60W bulbs for high beam and HB4 51W for low beams.Both are KIOTO from japan as OEM.I dont have fog lights in my car,since its a J model.
Now after browsing through the thread I increased my Gyan and found out that 100/90 W are the best upgrade.Now I have a barrage of questions
2) if so do I have to get relay and wiring? Does corolla have a relay preinstalled?? (for high beam 10A fuses are installed,got this info from fuse box)
3) what are the options in 100/90 bulbs?? I want MORE light,and LONG throw,white/blue light will be an added advantage,but MORE/LONG is the main criteria for upgrade
6) Is corolla's headlight assembly projector type?? If yes.does it increase my options for upgrade?
Early replies will get a surprise gift from me
Inder, a lot of questions uh. Let me answer them.

Yes, this is possible. But wont recommend this since high beams are rarely used and we often use low beams. So I suggest you can upgrade the low beams.

Yes, if you are upgrading your bulbs, you will definitely need a relay, wires and ceramic holders. These should be branded and of high quality. Low quality products will burn your headlight assembly.

There are many options. You have Philips, Osram etc. White/blue light will have less output. If you need better light throw, you will need to stick with the stock color. White/blue light looks cool, but will have lesser output when compared to the stock color.

Yes, xenons and hids are basically the same. You can install them in high beam. But, it's usually the other way round. For eg, the new corolla Altis, Laura got HIDs in low and normal halogen bulbs in High. It's actually illegal installing HID's in High.

See above point. You have many options here too. I would recommend you to go for Philips HID's. And I prefer the bulb color temp as 4300k. But Philips currently stopped manufacturing 4300k HID's. You have an option of going for 6000k color bulbs. These will be pure white, but output will be less when compared to 4300k HID's. Philips will cost you around 9000k. I currently use Auto Gauge HID's and the color temp is 4300k. I got these for 7.5k. These include a pair of HID's, a pair of Ballast and proper wiring kit.

No. They are not projector type. HID's are basically meant to be used in Projector headlights. projector will help project the light onto a particular area. If you use HID's in normal stock headlights, a lot of usable light will be scattered means a lot of light will be wasted. You can see this in many cars where the oncoming traffic will be blinded with these lights. This in turn attracts the cops. So use of HID's in high is not recommended. If you need, then it's always better to go for projectors.

I shall post some pics of my ride so that you can get to see the projectors. Also, I shall post a video link showing my car's light throw. Let me know if you need any help.

Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-36386_414478390944_701335944_4523581_4575476_n.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low-.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high-.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 5th August 2010, 12:18   #4075
Senior - BHPian

One of my Civic's fog lamp bulbs konked off. Its a H11 55W. If you buy it from Honda Showroom it costs a whopping Rs 1300 whereas for the Indigo (fog light), the same bulb costs Rs 150.
My query is the following. Instead of a 55W, I've bought H11 100W. I know that for headlights etc, where the usage is high, we need a relay and ceramic holders. My usage is very minimal since it is a fog light. Should I still go for a relay and ceramic holders?
Appreciate your feedback
Old 5th August 2010, 13:35   #4076
BHPian

Hey guys, i will be posting an ad for H4 8K Bosch HID(used) and a Set of H3 8K Philips HID(new), which i had bought from Saudi.
Replacing the H4 with Philips Hi-Lo Hid and the H3 were an impulsive buy and not required now.
These will be available after 19th August when i come back to mumbai. Prefer mumbai buyers.
Here is a video of the Bosch HID.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:11   #4077
BHPian

Well, here’s my 2 cents about the Xenon Halogen/HID bulbs

Halogen, xenon, and krypton all refer to the gasses used to fill the bulb. Light bulbs are usually filled with a mixture of gasses, selected to help retard the evaporation of the filament and to minimize heat loss from the filament. Argon works OK for this, krypton works better, and xenon better still. The better gasses are more expensive, of course.

High-performance Xenon Halogen bulbs are very high end versions of what came in your car and just plugging them in will provide a noticeable improvement in your night vision.

High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) is a type of lighting technology that replaces the filament of the light bulb with Xenon gas. The gas is ignited to produce an arc of light, when high voltage is applied. The amount of light output is three times that of a standard halogen bulb. The lamps also glow at a higher light temperature (closer to natural sunlight) that gives it its distinct color and appearance.

For more details refer the link Xenon Incandescent Lamps

PS: A 100/90 bulb means it’s a dual beam bulb; H4 (Hi & Low beams within a single bulb), where the present requirement is HB3 or 9005 for High Beam and HB4 or 9006 for Low Beam are single beam bulbs as the stock setup is Quad beam.

9005 & 9006 bulbs
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-chyee198614.jpg Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-31tdjhjw7ql._sl500_aa300_.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
One of my Civic's fog lamp bulbs konked off. Its a H11 55W. If you buy it from Honda Showroom it costs a whopping Rs 1300 whereas for the Indigo (fog light), the same bulb costs Rs 150.
My query is the following. Instead of a 55W, I've bought H11 100W. I know that for headlights etc, where the usage is high, we need a relay and ceramic holders. My usage is very minimal since it is a fog light. Should I still go for a relay and ceramic holders?
Appreciate your feedback
You can go for a branded H11 bulb like Philips/Osram to save the money. OE parts are always good but come at a premium price.

You need a relay if you choose anything beyond the stock rating. As Navin said earlier better to go for a good quality holders even if the usage is very minimal. Who knows there will be unlimited usage for it once your headlight bulb conks off?

BTW, Navin, good shots and good spread from the projector. Would appreciate if you could post a wall projection as it will give better demo of your HID cannons.

Last edited by sajjt : 5th August 2010 at 14:14.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:34   #4078
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Saj.
Currently have the video that shows the cutoff and throw. Will post more pics soon.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:07   #4079
BHPian

Hi guys,

Need some help by this evening/tomorrow morning.
Am going to Hyderabad and need to get high wattage bulbs for someones i10.

I zeroed in on a shop on DeCars or something - but suddenly thought they may not have high wattage bulbs. Can someone please confirm this or otherwise give me an alternate place to pick up Philips 90/100 or 100/130 bulbs please? I will also be needing the relay harness.

Also, is there any cost differential from what I have paid here for the above bulbs or will the prices be the same? Here being Delhi.

Thanks alot!
Old 5th August 2010, 16:10   #4080
BHPian

Quote:
Roy, not sure which MASS you got it done at, but such modifications aren't done due to issues with warranty !.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I suspect that the problem is with the relay or the wires. Check whether these are branded components..
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to try replacing the relay. There are no other electrical issues with the car so it has to be a faulty relay.
Yes, MASS guys almost never do a 90/100 job. In this case I know the owners on a personal level so they did it 'unofficially'. Actually I found the stock 55/60s on the swift to be pretty ok. The conversion was done only to 'convince' oncoming traffic to dip their headlights. Works pretty well too.
I try not to use high beams in the city, but on the highways it really helps. Truckers, of course, are immune to a car's high beams.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks