Team-BHP - Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/93908-auto-lighting-thread-post-all-queries-about-automobile-lighting-here-258.html)

hi rjstyles69. the link you posted reverts me back to my original query in this section. wanted to know if anybody out here know where roots relay can be fixed in MANGALORE

^^ Ullal: That's because I merged your thread with this existing thread. Please go through this one to find the relevant info. Else, I am sure someone will answer soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilMonSter (Post 1850574)
Hey, i would like to know the size of the HiD Bulb that would fit the alto fog light assembly.The way i had done it before was to take a zen estillo fog light assembly and retrofit it into the plastic mounting of the alto fog light and then mount them. had a fender bender recently and have lost a bulb because of it. which bulb would fit or would i have to do the same thing again as retrofitting and re sealing the fog light assembly is a real pain. i have seen other alto's with hid kits in the fogs so i'm sure someone here would be able to shed some light on this. If there is no solution will have to go the route i had taken before.

Guys anyone here to shed some light..please:

Guys,

I have got HIDs on my Palio a couple months back. Out of interest, I bought four HIDs, a pair of H1 and H7 each to fit in my Palio.
The shop I went sold me ballasts for each of these HIDs (that costed around 7K - 3.5K for a pair).

After spending this much, I thought I will have the best lights on highways and would still be green since it uses 35watts (not sure if its 35 or 55) - I was wrong, short on my research :) - HIDs on Palio is not a very good idea I think since there is not enough place I can have projectors in there

However, the result was not good. The way HIDs fit into my car was a real bad job. I have not yet aligned them after the guy got it fitted them in my car.

Now, I have these HIDs throwing lights in every direction and blinding oncoming traffic - I almost avoid using my car in the night since then and dont use headlights unless its really necessary.

I'm thinking of two options here:
1> Get the HIDs aligned with the help of an expert and make sure I use them right (I will still be attracting Bangalore cops I guess)

2> Get the Phillips Rally or good Osram nightbreaker for all four lamps in my Palio and put the four HIDs + Ballasts for sale out here

With the second option, I know I'm going to make some loss here, but need piece of mind and want to make sure I still have good lighting for my upcoming long trip (around 4-5K if at all I make it).
If you think first option is still good, suggest me someone in Bangalore who can help me align and set them right.

Please advice.
Thanks.

^^ Even if you get the beams aligned you will still have light being scattered in every direction as HID are not recommended to be used along with a reflector setup.

The alignment can be done at most service centres. Some places even have specialized equipment to check the throw of the beam.

The Palio as a H1 (Hi) and a H7(Lo) setup, but you mentioned H1 and H4, are you sure?

Now you have two options :-

1. Using Osram Nightbreaker (55W) or the likes bulb which offer slightly better lighting than stock bulbs. This is easy as you can fix the bulbs yourself and you are good to go.

2. Using higher wattage bulbs along with a dual head lamp relay. Depending on the bulbs you install you lighting will accordingly improve. The only draw back of using higher wattage bulbs is greying/fading of the reflector setup due to excessive heat over a period of time. Additionally it also recommended to install ceramic holder for all bulbs if you are using this setup.

I'm using the second option for my Palio, as the light output is significantly better that stock!

I use Narva 85W H7 Lo and Narva 100W H1 Hi along with a dual headlamp relay in place. Fixed the bulbs myself, got the relay fixed after about 1000 Kms of use. Installation of relay, ceramic holder and alignment of the beams was done at Bosch Car service. You can do the same too if you are going for the second option.

EDIT: Which part of Bangalore are you in? I would like to see how does a HID setup look in a Palio :)

Thank you Praful,
It was my mistake, its H1+h7. I just corrected it.

I would like to go with the second option.
Could you please suggest me a what bulbs should I be choosing? Which one for Hi and which one for Lo beams?
I was inclined towards Phillips rally series.

I read for option - 2, I will have fadding of reflectors, lets see if I can balance between two (improved lighting & fadding effect/too much heat) and get the right combination.

I'm around Sarjapur road. It doesnt look good for oncoming traffic for sure, I have seen people cursing me when I keep them on, I used to keep Hi+Lo on during my last highway trip and then used to shut Hi just to make the oncoming guy feel good :)
Call me on 9886719127 if you want to see how bad that can look for oncoming traffic.. its too bright.

I took a choice between slightly poor lighting Vs faded reflectors. If I have to change the reflectors 2.5-3 years down the line I don't mind spending 5K on a new HL assembly for the additional light that I get.

I would suggest you to get a slightly lower wattage i.e. 70W-85W for the Lo beam as it will be in operation most of the time. And for the Hi beam you can go for 100W-130W depending on your requirements. Narva/Phillips is what is sold by most shops in this configuration. Phillips Rally can be used for Hi beam as it comes in 100W variant and is pretty cheap too.

I just checked with a shop nearby and he said he doesnt have 85w Narva for H7, rather he has got 100w for H7 and H1 both and was insisting on the same.
He has got Super relay kit and not roots or bosch.

I thought I will go for 85w only for H7 (Lo) and look for roots or bosch (ceramic holder) kits if I get an option.

Do you guys know if I go to GreenTrack, they would get me this? I anyway have to go for 40K service now.

Sankar upgraded his A-Star's headlights to 90/100s ( or was it 130's ! ). Here are some pix during the install.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-10042010380-medium.jpg

The holder is ceramic.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-10042010378-medium.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-10042010377-medium.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 1861827)
I just checked with a shop nearby and he said he doesnt have 85w Narva for H7, rather he has got 100w for H7 and H1 both and was insisting on the same.
He has got Super relay kit and not roots or bosch.

I thought I will go for 85w only for H7 (Lo) and look for roots or bosch (ceramic holder) kits if I get an option.

Do you guys know if I go to GreenTrack, they would get me this? I anyway have to go for 40K service now.

Head to JC road, you will get the bulbs easily there. When you are out there, do buy the H1 and H7 ceramic holders too.

For the installation and procurement of a relay you can try any of the Bosch Car service centre.

I'm not sure about Green Tracks doing it, they might/might not recommend it. I was told by HariPrasad Automobiles not to do this.

hi guys. i finally got the relay and cut out fixed for Rs1200/-
:Frustrati

:eek:it was a tragic site. the guy drilled a hole in each of the headlight caps! i was in a total state of shock!:eek:

^ What make of the relay?

Thanks Praful,
Planning to go to JC road in another hour or so, I have to go to super tyre tec for my alignment and other small stuff.
Let me know if anyone knows a good place for bulbs/relay kit, else I will look for a nearby place.

Praful, here is what I'm thinking now.
Get either 85w or 100w (Narva or Phillips) for H7 (Lo) and replace my low beam, I'm planning to keep HIDs fro my H1s which is required only during low light situation.
Any suggestions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 1862857)
Thanks Praful,
Planning to go to JC road in another hour or so, I have to go to super tyre tec for my alignment and other small stuff.
Let me know if anyone knows a good place for bulbs/relay kit, else I will look for a nearby place.

I don't remember the name of the shop, but here is the location on Google Maps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 1862857)
Praful, here is what I'm thinking now.
Get either 85w or 100w (Narva or Phillips) for H7 (Lo) and replace my low beam, I'm planning to keep HIDs fro my H1s which is required only during low light situation.
Any suggestions!

No probs with that, but the scattering of light prob will still be there. but a bit lesser as the High beams are more focused and the spread is not too much.

But the Hi Beam is used also as 'pass' light to indicate overtaking, etc. HID's have a few seconds before the reach full power, that might be a minor issue. But it all depends on your driving style.

I completely agree with the second point. I dont use high beams in city at all. However, I use them on highways while overtaking a lot - I will learn to live with this :)

Thanks for the coordinates.