Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2005, 21:03   #1
BHPian

Car Fridge

Guys,

Has anyone seen these fridges ? Do they do their job ?

http://cgi.ebay.in/Miniest-Coolest-C...QQcmdZViewItem

- Falcon
Old 25th November 2005, 21:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ask for minimum temperature achievable. If they say 'x' degrees below ambient temperature (usually 15) then its just a passable cooler. Try and get the ones with a fixed achievable temperature (mine is 4 degrees C).

The price seems reasonable since these products are not easily available in India. Just to give you an idea, the 18 ltr fridge I bought from DXB cost me roughly the same and it maintains a constant minimum temperature of 4degrees C and features a heater function that I havent used so far.

Get a car fridge that comes with BOTH the Car Adaptor (for in-car use) as well as A/c Adaptor (so that you can carry it to you when you get out of the car and plug it in - pretty useful when you;re travelling and want to carry your beer to the hotel / beach).

If you spend about Rs.10,000 you can get ones that give you freezing temperatures - useful if you're partial to whiskey over beer.
Old 23rd June 2007, 17:38   #3
BHPian

Steer

Would you know where can I get one in India
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:27   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post

Just curious - why do you require this? A normal camping cooler (costing
500-1000 Rs) filled with ice would do the job for 3-4 hours.
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you spend about Rs.10,000 you can get ones that give you freezing temperatures
Hmmm.. My kind of thread finally..

I was planning on getting one for my truck but have not yet made up my mind on the model.. Also does this drain the battery..??

Godfather

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2010 at 12:21. Reason: Correcting quoted post
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

I saw the same thing in the market for Rs.2k. Works in car as well as in 230v. Cools & warms. But the quality of these things is suspect.
Old 24th June 2007, 18:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Ask for minimum temperature achievable. If they say 'x' degrees below ambient temperature (usually 15) then its just a passable cooler. Try and get the ones with a fixed achievable temperature (mine is 4 degrees C).
:
:
If you spend about Rs.10,000 you can get ones that give you freezing temperatures
Steer, the car fridge you have, is that a Peltier based refri? Normally I have seen these (read chinese made) TEC based coolers only bring the temp down by 15 to 20 degree C below ambient temperature (that too as per there spec). That might again vary and depend on installation location etc. in the car as well.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2010 at 12:21. Reason: Correcting quoted post
Old 16th March 2010, 13:18   #8
BHPian

I have recently installed a can cooler of Tropicool.
and it works great, rather awsome.
the colloing is too good, now i am thinking of installing a car fridge.
If anyone needs more info let me know.
Old 16th March 2010, 14:46   #9
BHPian

one friend has in his safari dicor limited edition..only accommodates 6 cans and a 1 litre water bottle..and practically it doesn't chill too quickly..

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2010 at 12:22. Reason: STRICTLY no alcohol discussions on this forum please
Old 16th March 2010, 15:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had the car fridge as part of the freebie's offered when I got the Safari; but due to it being out of stock, settled for a cash discount of the MRP. This unit was a TATA offered accessory. Now I am in the market for one.

@Pragya: Have you finalized on a make?
Old 16th March 2010, 16:36   #11
BHPian

I think this would be the same as available in the Croma stores. Croma | The Electronics Megastore | Products | Our Own Brand
This claims to be keeping the food hot/cold for two hours, and works both via the jack in the car, and normal AC outlet. Not sure how good or bad it is, but can be a handy item, if it can keep something cool, if not freezing, then atleast lower than the outside temperature on a hot sunny summer afternoon.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have been using one for the past 1.5 years or so. The trick here is to chill the contents in your regular fridge overnight and then transfer the bottles to the car fridge. That way you have the chilled water/soft drinks all through the day. In case going for more than 2 3 days on each night if you can find a regular fridge to keep the contents then no issues otherwise just give it about an hour or so the next day to make them drinkable and about 2 hrs to make them reasonably chilled.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2010 at 12:22. Reason: Strictly no discussions on alcoholic beverages please
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2010, 22:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-drive View Post
I think this would be the same as available in the Croma stores. Croma | The Electronics Megastore | Products | Our Own Brand
This claims to be keeping the food hot/cold for two hours, and works both via the jack in the car, and normal AC outlet. Not sure how good or bad it is, but can be a handy item, if it can keep something cool, if not freezing, then atleast lower than the outside temperature on a hot sunny summer afternoon.
I am a bit wary of the 'keep hot hot and cold cold' kind of units. I am looking for something that will cool the content. I had checked out the similar offerings from TATA @ Tata Safari - Safari DICOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I have been using one for the past 1.5 years or so. The trick here is to chill the contents in your regular fridge overnight and then transfer the bottles to the car fridge...
What is the make of your fridge? And price?
Old 17th March 2010, 12:14   #14
BHPian

i saw some of these at an auto-accesory store in JM Road. I am not sure of the effectiveness and these dont seem like compressor based fridge.

Are any compressor based fridges available?
Old 29th March 2010, 11:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragya View Post
I have recently installed a can cooler of Tropicool.
and it works great, rather awsome.
the colloing is too good, now i am thinking of installing a car fridge.
If anyone needs more info let me know.

How much does the Car Fridge Cum Warmer 12a from Tropicool cost ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks