Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2011, 20:02   #106
BHPian

Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes you can safely connect the Hellas with stock switch with the help of relay. But, in this case your Hellas will come ON even when you don't need them, therefore you will need a extra switch specifically for the Hellas. Just make sure you connect the 30 No. pin to the parking lights.
In Figo HL switch there is provision for Rear Fog Lamps and there is indicator on dash also but there is neither wiring nor slots in Rear Clusters for Rear Fog Lamps (Ford might have plonked switch from some other model as it is). So I am thinking to make use of this empty slot for Aux on/Off, so that there is No "out of theme" switch on Dash. Similarly All Front Lighting such as Parking, HL, Fog and Hellas controls will be at one place and I can make them on off conveniently. The only hitch is Rear Fog Lamp can be made on only after front Fog lamps are on but its logically OK since Hellas will provide Distant Visibility and Fogs will provide immediate visibility. If needed I can drive with Parking Lights or HL in High or Low beam, Hellas and Fogs (I remember advice against with parking lights) or I can drive with HL, Fogs in city stints. So the 30 No Pin wire will come from Rear Fog Lamp Switch in My case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
For 100W*2 bulbs you need 200\12= 16.5 Amps of current, so a relay of 20 or 30Amps would be more than enough. Similarly for 55w*2 bulbs we need 110\12= 9.1 Amps i.e. a 10-15 Amps relay woul be doing its job for a long time. Just make sure that the relay capacity (in currents) is slightly higher than needed. Ofcourse, use a good 10 Guage wire with a fuse.
Thanks for Advice on Relay ratings and Wire Gauges. I will do wiring for 100W bulbs but use 55W bulbs initially so it will help in longevity of relays and wires But put fuses sufficient for 55W when I want to put 100W bulbs, I will upgrade Fuses along with Bulbs.

I have Shortlisted 500FF and 700FF and going to decide this week after getting Prices. To my guess those will be like 4K & 5K respectively. Please suggest me which one will suit me considering very pathetic HL of Figo. Diff is just 1K so sometime I feel that I should go for 700FF rather than repenting after buying 500FF.

Thanks once again mercedised, for help extended.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:52   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
.. considering very pathetic HL of Figo.
@Whitelion, I suspect your Figo HL levelling is off. I have found the Ikon's lighting quite good, as long as the level is set correctly depending on load in the car.
Old 19th September 2011, 07:46   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Whitelion, I suspect your Figo HL levelling is off. I have found the Ikon's lighting quite good, as long as the level is set correctly depending on load in the car.
No condor, If you visit "FordFigo" facebook page you will notice that "The HeadLamp Problem" topic in discussions section is a longest thread. Many have reported "would have been a fatal accidents" due poor night visibility on various discussion boards. When Ford MD had "Open House discussion" this was the problem reported by many owners and He has addressed this issue in reply to Most Common Problems with Figo. You can also check other threads on Figo here to know more about HL problem.

I dont know about Ikon but Figo has really poor night visibility. What I have experienced is Throw wise HLs project a very Narrow and sharp beam in front of Car. Because of that Objects like Cyclists, Pedestrians, bullock carts etc. etc. are not visible unless you are very close to them or they become suddenly visible when you reach very close to them so you get a very short reaction time which results into a panic. Night Driving is really stressful and one has to be very slow (30-40 KM/H) to be safe. Even SRs of "Ford Figo" admit this openly and they too avoid Night Drives with Figo for out station calls.

Anyways except HL car is GEM and I would like to enjoy other features by augmenting it with Aux lamps which will provide good road illumination. I was aware of this problem while buying car itself and had thought of options like 90/100W upgrade or Adding Aux. Lamps even before buying it, even with these expenses Figo was "Paisa Wasul" (VFM) Car among other options like Punto/Swift/i20/Fabia. The option of 90/100 upgradation needs Puncturing HL cluster Back Cap which may lead to Misting of HL front lens in Rainy season as reported by Few Figo Owners as well it also fails to give proper throw and spread, that's why I have narrowed down to Aux. Lamps. Hope I have made my line of thinking clear.

Last edited by whitelion : 19th September 2011 at 07:51.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:45   #109
BHPian

Friends:
Checked the Hella 700FF at Reliance Autozone, KH Road. They are quoting 4850. For 500FF they are quoting 3850. Its a 1000 rs difference.
I may pick them up this week. Before that, I would like to know whats the difference in 500FF and 700FF.

700FF is around 7inch in dia and little bigger/deeper than 500FF. Not sure how much better beam spread can I expect from 700FF vs 500FF. Checked out few youtube links and I see the beam spread is more of less the same.

BTW, very good info from @whitelion on the beam lengths.

I would be fitting them on my scorpio. Had finalized to pick up CarryBoy Nudge bar which is made of PU full Solid. But, will this PU material withstand the Hella weights.
Not sure how do the folks fit the clamps to make it fit nicely.

OR Is it better to go for metal bull bar? I am against it. But, need your suggestions as to which is better for fitting Hella aux lights.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:01   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
I may pick them up this week. Before that, I would like to know whats the difference in 500FF and 700FF.
As per their website

700FF
Voltage = 12V
Height = 218mm
Width = 88mm
Diameter = 186mm
Bulb Type = H3 ,12V/55W

500FF
Voltage = 12V
Height = 175mm
Width = 67mm
Diameter = 163mm
Bulb Type = H3 ,12V/55W

The light throw will be a tad bit bigger because of change in size of the reflectors. Otherwise the density of the light will be the same.

Quote:
I would be fitting them on my scorpio. Had finalized to pick up CarryBoy Nudge bar which is made of PU full Solid. But, will this PU material withstand the Hella weights. Not sure how do the folks fit the clamps to make it fit nicely.
How much for the carryboy ? I would stick to the PU one's coz they don't spoil the aesthetics of the already bad looking front grill. The metal chrome one's are complete bling and looks cheap.

And generally the fogs aren't mounted on the nudge guard. Special clamps are made and the clamp is attached to the inner frame behind the bumper and the lights are mounted on to it. Check my Scorpio's images in my gallery, I am running the 3003's from Hella.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:48   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
As per their website

700FF
Voltage = 12V
Height = 218mm
Width = 88mm
Diameter = 186mm
Bulb Type = H3 ,12V/55W

500FF
Voltage = 12V
Height = 175mm
Width = 67mm
Diameter = 163mm
Bulb Type = H3 ,12V/55W

The light throw will be a tad bit bigger because of change in size of the reflectors. Otherwise the density of the light will be the same.
I am also thinking on same lines and have Zeroed on 700FF. Will be ordering them after getting final quote from dealer this week. I have talked to a Installer locally and he is Quoted Rs800/- inclusive of Labour, Bracket to Fit Lamps, necessary wiring harnesses & Fuse etc. etc. Will do final negotiations before Ordering lamps.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:19   #112
BHPian

@rjstyle69:
Thanks for the information. Then I am finalized with Hella 700FF.
Yes, I have finalized on Carryboy. But, Konark folks in Jayanagar are quoting around 9500. There is one more brand called softex quoting 6500. Local make. I have not checked other places. Any leads?

BTW, can you provide the contact of the guy who did the special clamping?
I was thinking of getting it fixed at SKS or India Garage.

Does it involve drilling the bumper?
Old 27th September 2011, 09:43   #113
BHPian

Quote:
@rjstyle69:
Yes, I have finalized on Carryboy. But, Konark folks in Jayanagar are quoting around 9500. There is one more brand called softex quoting 6500. Local make. I have not checked other places. Any leads?

BTW, can you provide the contact of the guy who did the special clamping?
I was thinking of getting it fixed at SKS or India Garage.

Does it involve drilling the bumper?
blackstallion76, I would like to pass on which many have advised me. Do not Drill Plastic/sheet metal and fix Lamps on that, It results in irritating dancing beams and also fixture falls apart after some time. Good practice is have rigid bracket well bolted to some rigid part of the Body. Hella lamp weighs about 4.4 lb so totals about 4/5 KGs. Bracket and Body Part on which bracket fits should be capable of handling Dynamic Load of these lamps and Bracket wt together in long run. Hope this helps.
whitelion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 09:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rjstyle69:
I would stay with carryboy has been in the market for quite some time and have seen umpteen SUV's with it, haven't heard of SOFTEX though. The price seems fair coz I paid 10k for my nudge guard.

Quote:
BTW, can you provide the contact of the guy who did the special clamping?I was thinking of getting it fixed at SKS or India Garage. Does it involve drilling the bumper?
No bumper drilling need my friend, my job was done at EVO by Satya(blueraven316). The clamp is made so that it can be bolted on the inner frame with the engine bay and extended all the way through the front grills to mount the hella's.
Also a 2nd pair of clamps is installed in such a way that it is routed to the nudge guards mounting points so as to reduce any for of shake. So you would have one pair coming horizontally from within the engine bay and the 2nd pair would be installed vertically, bolted to the nudge guard.

No drilling or making holes required what so ever on the vehicle.
Old 27th September 2011, 10:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

Can I fit Hella in Safari without putting nudge guard and without making hole in bumper?

I was contemplating using LightForce unibar. It fits at number plate place. I suspect it may also vibrate. Can anyone fabricate custom light weight bracket/unibar which should look good and does not harm crumple zones?

Please suggest place where I can get the job done.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:57   #116
BHPian

Need input from Gurus..
Is there any way to mount aux lamp in sedan like Linea? I am trying to install Hella FF50 and I like the shape and the performance. I dont want to make any hole to install the aux lamp. This is purely for the highway trips.

Cheers
Dinesh
Old 27th September 2011, 19:43   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

@Anuj, which part of BLR do you stay ? I made a similiar enquiry with Sai Colorium, and need to meet him with the car to design & fabricate a suitable mounting set-up.

@Dinesh, you will need custom made brackets. Go to any good mod-shop / garage and ask them how best to mount the Hella's

Last edited by condor : 27th September 2011 at 19:45.
Old 28th September 2011, 07:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Anuj, which part of BLR do you stay ? I made a similiar enquiry with Sai Colorium, and need to meet him with the car to design & fabricate a suitable mounting set-up.
I stay in Whitefield area. But if someone providing me this solution, I am ready to come to any part of Bangalore. At present, I am out of India and would be back by 14th of October. If you can hold for some time, we will visit together to Sai Colorium in JP Nagar.
Old 28th September 2011, 08:45   #119
BHPian

Quote:
need to meet him with the car to design & fabricate a suitable mounting set-up. @Dinesh, you will need custom made brackets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
Is there any way to mount aux lamp in sedan like Linea? I dont want to make any hole to install the aux lamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I stay in Whitefield area. But if someone providing me this solution, I am ready to come to any part of Bangalore.
Last week, I saw a Maruti Suzuki Esteem (2004-2007 model) with Hella auxiliary lamps mounted either on the front grille or on the front of the bonnet. It is hard to tell if it was the grille or the bonnet, but I think fixing the lamps on the grille would help avoid the need for drilling if suitable mounts can be made. It would also not be the first part of the vehicle to make contact in the event of a frontal scratch/scrape as there is at least an inch and a half of bumper ahead of the base of the grille.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:18   #120
Senior - BHPian

For those of you who think that the bumper needs to be drilled, please check these images and enlarge them. I don't have a picture which shows how the mounting clamps are made, however this should give you a perspective as to how it needs to be done.

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-dsc_3104-large.jpg

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-dsc_3257-large.jpg

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-dsc_5876-large.jpg
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks