Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 09:26   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Has anyone installed the 500FF on the swift.Some detailed pics of the car and of the clamps would be welcome.
Old 8th January 2012, 23:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends:
Checked the Hella 700FF at Reliance Autozone, KH Road. They are quoting 4850. For 500FF they are quoting 3850. Its a 1000 rs difference.
Damn! has the hella prices gone up? The best price I got y'day was 4275 for the 500FF.

I was doing some research on wiring and found this video

Last edited by Jaguar : 9th January 2012 at 00:08.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:47   #168
BHPian

Hi,

I have received following quote (over the phone) from Hella dealers (listed on their website) in Bangalore

Street Kars
------------
500ff 4500
700ff 5400

Auto Concepts
-----------
500ff 4650
700ff 5500

Third dealer (Chitresh Auto Enterprises) told me they do not stock Hella lights, they only sell horns.

Is it possible to get 500ff/700ff at a lesser price in Bangalore.

Thanks and Regards..
Old 10th January 2012, 16:38   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

I have received following quote (over the phone) from Hella dealers (listed on their website) in Bangalore

Street Kars
------------
500ff 4500
700ff 5400

I called Reliance Autozone KH road Bangalore and they have given a completely different quote

500ff 3800 Rs
700ff 4800 Rs (currently out of stock)

I was told this price is for complete kit which included wiring, relay and switch.

Has someone recently purchased any one of these lights from Reliance and can provide the cost.

Thanks.

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th January 2012 at 21:47. Reason: Please DO NOT quoting large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 13:36   #170
BHPian

Hi,

I have come up with the following sample picture to install Hella 700FF in my Wagon R. Please advise which one of these would be better/efficient for highway driving.

Has someone tried a removable setup which can be fixed only for specific highway drives and kept safely in home rest of the time.

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-wagonr-1.jpg

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-wagonr.jpg

This picture has been created using screen-shot of Hella 700FF and actual car picture. I was not sure about the relative size of the lamp, actual size might be smaller/bigger than the head lamp.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:43   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I called Reliance Autozone KH road Bangalore and they have given a completely different quote
If you are going to Reliance, remember to check the box thoroughly before you pay for it. The box is fully sufficient - includes switch, wiring, relay, etc/. Everything except the mounting bracket. Some boxes at Reliance will have 1-2 items missing - relay / switch. Make sure that the box you pick has all items. Also, go during daytime to get the fixing done. DO not go in the evening / night.

Quote:
I have come up with the following sample picture to install Hella 700FF in my Wagon R. Please advise which one of these would be better/efficient for highway driving.
I prefer the setup in the second pic - in line with the headlamps. That way your light does not get directed upwards (to the eyes of the on-coming driver).

Quote:
Has someone tried a removable setup which can be fixed only for specific highway drives and kept safely in home rest of the time.
I am planning this. Do the wiring as usual. WHen not in use, take the lamps out & disconect the wires.

Note:
the lamps have a short lead coming out from the lamp. Black is +ve, Blue is ground. The wires from the relay will be connect to these leads. So when not in use, disconnect at this point. Keep the wires taped at all times with insulation tape.

Also, if you are using a removable setup, then mount the lamps may be 1 week before you travel. Ensure that the lamps are sitting firmly and that the light is correctly focused. Do this well in advance of your travel date so that you dont have any problems immed before travel.

Last edited by condor : 11th January 2012 at 13:48.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 16:47   #172
BHPian

Hi All,

I was trying to identify a spot where I could mount the Hella 700FF lamp and to achieve this I removed front bumper and took pictures so that I could analyze them later on.

After spending some time using grid lines and scale I was able to identify superficial location where I would need the clamp, this is outlined in the picture below using red color.

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-wgrcmp.jpg

Unlike other cars there is no metal bar behind the bumper on WagonR, hence I have not been able to find a place to mount the clamp on the body.

I have see lot of people mount lamp in the same location in Swift using clamp attached to the body behind bumper.

If anyone has tried something similar or has idea about this please share. I hope it would be useful for everyone who is contemplating similar setup on their car (WagonR).

Thanks
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 17:54   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

500ff 3800 Rs
700ff 4800 Rs (currently out of stock)
I doubt you'd get a better price. After asking around I picked up the 500FF from JC road for 4275 last week. Didn't know about the price difference at Reliance Autozone. Incidentally, the price of a 2T hydrolic jack was 1k more in Reliance Autozone HSR than JC Road. So not sure how the Hellas are cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I prefer the setup in the second pic - in line with the headlamps. That way your light does not get directed upwards (to the eyes of the on-coming driver).

I am planning this. Do the wiring as usual. WHen not in use, take the lamps out & disconect the wires.
I am also thinking of a removable setup but with a difference. Plan is to have cheap Neolites (700 a pair) for city use and replace them with Hellas for highway runs. So no question of loose wires hanging and I have something always ready for any unexpected highway drives.

@Condor, I suppose you drive an Ikon too. Where/how do you plan to install the lights? I was thinking of mounting some clamps to the headlight mount points (the 4 red dots) and have the clamp come out from the blue rectangles (there is some gap there).
The Hella Experience - 500 FF-ikonmountingpoints.jpg
Old 14th January 2012, 21:31   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
@Condor, I suppose you drive an Ikon too. Where/how do you plan to install the lights?
My Ikon's a TDCi, where the front bumper /grille set up is different. I will be able to fabricate a clamp in a way that it will easily come out of the bumper, unlike in your case. I am planning to use a 1.25" steel / MS bar for the bracket.

I am not sure how it can be done with your car
Old 16th January 2012, 15:11   #175
BHPian

Hi,

I did feasibility check and found following option for adding clamp behind the grill.

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-clampdsn.jpg

This is a rough diagram, will have to come up with dimension of the clamp and diameter of the nut required for mounting lamp.

I would like to get the clamp made from a welding shop and finish/attach it myself. Need some help which I have summarized below.

I am also planing to use a socket near the lamp so I can have a removable setup and attaching would be as simple.

Please help me with the following

1. Please suggest material to be used for the clamp, so that it does not vibrate when lamp is mounted. It would be helpful if you can suggest gauge of metal appropriate to hold weight of this lamp.
2. Weight (approx) of Hella 700FF, I was trying to search this online but did not come across article that provides this spec.
3. How to paint this clamp, should I use body filler to achieve good finish or normal metal primer would be enough. I already have a can of com-paint (silver) and would like to use it.
4. Where can I get a socket for the lamp, something similar to this which I found in Hella product catalog.

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-socket.jpg

or this called Super Seal Connectors (not sure where I can get these in Bangalore)
The Hella Experience - 500 FF-socket2.jpg

Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 03:03   #176
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been able to install the Hella 700FF lights in Wagon R after spending some time trying to figure out proper point to mount the L shaped clamp.

Following is picture of the installation, this is not final since I have to remove the clamp and paint it so that it does not rust.

The Hella Experience - 500 FF-h700ff.jpg

I have tried to keep wiring as simple as possible and did not attach the negative (3rd terminal) in the green switch provided with the wiring kit.

As a temporary measure I have attached GREEN wire (trigger point of the relay) directly to positive terminal of the battery. I want to attach this to fog light so that Hella is only powered when fog light is switched on. This will reduce chance to leaving these lights on by mistake.

Since many people in the forum have installed similar light could someone please share painting process of the clamp and what would be preferred color. As mentioned in my previous post I would like to paint this in silver to match body color.

I am also planing to paint the plastic cover in silver so that it matches body color, something similar to this in below picture. I am not sure how paint would work on plastic surface.
The Hella Experience - 500 FF-h700ff1.jpg
Old 15th February 2012, 07:00   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been able to install the Hella 700FF lights in Wagon R ... I have to remove the clamp and paint it so that it does not rust.
Pls add a cross member between the clamps, at the point where the lamps are mounted. It can help reduce vibration.

Personally, I would not re-paint the cover. The two colors are not a mis-match (silver & white/black lettering). Also, since it is plastic, it does not protection from rust etc.

Last edited by condor : 15th February 2012 at 07:26.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:33   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Pls add a cross member between the clamps, at the point where the lamps are mounted. It can help reduce vibration.
Thanks Condor, I was planing the same after I am able to adjust the height. I do need to make minor changes in the clamp as the mounting point is at slightly different distance from the center. I will add a metal bar using the lamp nut so that it gets better support and as you mentioned will definitely reduce vibration while driving on bad roads.

Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 14:59   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Following is picture of the installation, this is not final since I have to remove the clamp and paint it so that it does not rust...
IMHO, this setting is looking out of place in Wagon R and it is taking away front visual charm of Wagon R.

The cause may be

1. Size of 700FF which appears bigger in proportion. 500FF would be better in this case.

2. Mounting point. If you could have installed little lower than current position also reduced distance between two lights would have looked better.

This is just my opinion, do not get discouraged.

Edit: One more advice. Could you get your clamps painted in nickel/steel? It would look lot better than silver painting.

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th February 2012 at 15:00.
Old 15th February 2012, 19:04   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Following is picture of the installation, this is not final since I have to remove the clamp and paint it so that it does not rust.
Where is the clamp mounted behind the bumper? Is it because of the photo angle, the lamps seem to be pointing slightly outwards. How is the light throw during the night?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks