Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 12:56   #151
BHPian

Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

HI,Are those the 700FF's on your Scorpio? Cause I have a Safari with 500's and am looking to go in for the 700FF's but would like a bit of a feedback before I go in for them. Basically how do they compare to firstly say a 500 i.e. how much is the difference in reality and secondly how much of a difference does the clear lens make.
Hope to get a positivie feedback
Cheers
Anosh.F.Dhondy
Old 18th December 2011, 09:45   #152
BHPian

Hey all! I am trying to add some aux lights to my scorpio SLE. How good are scorpio's (mhwak) inbuilt fog lamps? Are they real fog lamps or just place holders - if not can just better bulbs do the trick instead of a new pair ? Also the light switch has one more provision/ click after after the fog lamps - can the aux lamps be connected to that? Would appreciate your thoughts....
Old 19th December 2011, 10:24   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post
Hey all! I am trying to add some aux lights to my scorpio SLE. How good are scorpio's (mhwak) inbuilt fog lamps?
Well they aint that good of a pair and I don't think adding powerful bulbs is an option. The reflectors doesn't look like they are of top quality.

Quote:
if not can just better bulbs do the trick instead of a new pair ?
I doubt if these fog lamps can accommodate the H1's and its holders. You are better off getting a new pair of hellas.

Quote:
Also the light switch has one more provision/ click after after the fog lamps - can the aux lamps be connected to that? Would appreciate your thoughts....
My scorpio's hella's are directly connected to the OE fog lamps switch.So when I switch on the fogs the Hellas also come on.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 10:34   #154
BHPian

Thank you rjstyles

Appreciate your quick response...! I'm going to hit GP road (Chennai) this week to close this out. I am planning on a 1000km drive (up & down) to Kodai this weekend...I better be well equipped
Old 19th December 2011, 11:17   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoshdhondy View Post
HI,Are those the 700FF's on your Scorpio? Cause I have a Safari with 500's and am looking to go in for the 700FF's
Anosh, the 500's you have - these are not the FF series, I guess ? If possible, check out the 3000's

Note: when picking your next set of lamps, make sure you get the "driving lamp" model and not the "fog lamp" model. This will be mentioned on the box itself.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:09   #156
BHPian

A quick update on the Hella Rallyee 500FF; one of Hella's Chennai distributors - A.K. International (on GP Road, Chennai) - offered me a 10% discount on the MRP of 5000, primarily because I sent a request through hella's website. The person on the phone said that he would also be able to recommend a nice place for the installation as well.... any popular places for installation in "Chennai"? I was hoping I could do something like what "RJSTYLE" had done - hosting it with a clamp connected to the chassis...
Old 20th December 2011, 02:49   #157
BANNED

Hey Folks,

Today I had a rare experience that Indian consumers almost never get!

I decided to pick up the FF500s but was concerned about the numerous fakes in the market. So I called up Mr. Johnson at the contact listed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1928829 who immediately assured me that he would provide the names of dealers/shops around my home or J.C rd that supply the original kit. A few minutes later I got a call from Mr. Suresh who I believe is the Area Sales Manager for Hella India whose territory covers Bangalore. I requested him to SMS me as I was driving which he did (after personally checking with numerous dealers if they had it in stock!).

Then I landed into another dilemma. I implicitly assumed the dealer(s) would quote me the lowest price (as reported on TBHP) for the Hella 500FFs which I had decided after tracking this thread for months. Not to be, as dealers have their own ideas about margins and the going market rate. So I called up the ASM again and insisted I receive the best price as quoted on TBHP by multiple users on this thread. I specifically mentioned the lowest pricing as offered @Reliance AZ and he promptly recommended I head there. Unfortunately I was lost as I never bothered looking up the location of this specific shop. After 15 mins of wandering I called him again for directions to the best dealer. This time the ASM stayed with me on the phone for a full 15 mins giving me step-by-step directions while I chatted about my requirements and other product options of Hella. Not only that, he called the shop staff to ensure I was received well and got the best pricing, per my expectations, that wasn't over quoted. Balancing on a tightrope with dealer expectations on margins and a knowledgeable customer is not easy I guess.

To sum up the experience - as time went by, from first phone call to last, I was pleasantly surprised at every step and turn (literally) to be treated like a guest of honour and individual who was a valued customer. I was made to feel like my requirement of a single unit (and not the most expensive in their product range) was the single most valuable order for them today.

Kudos to Hella India for the professional and courteous customer service attitude . Being a person who has been ever prompt to highlight negatives every time people ask me about job offers from the companies they are considering joining (for whatever reasons, and based on my personal insight), I know that I will pat a person on the back and wish him well with a broad smile any time somebody tells me he (or she) is joining Hella for a Career.

I will be fitting these lamps later this week along with FF75s I got from Amazon. Will post pics along with my trip snaps when I am back.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 20th December 2011 at 03:10.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 10:16   #158
BHPian

No,they are not the FF's just plain 500's. Can you plesae elaborate the difference in 'Driving Lamps " and "Fog lamps". My understanding is that Foggies will be more of a spread type and driving will be more of a spot /pencil type ,am I right? My current 500's are spots not spreads in beam throw.
Many Thanks
Anosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Anosh, the 500's you have - these are not the FF series, I guess ? If possible, check out the 3000's

Note: when picking your next set of lamps, make sure you get the "driving lamp" model and not the "fog lamp" model. This will be mentioned on the box itself.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:59   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

@Anosh, you are correct. Driving lamps have a long, narrower throw. Fogs have a spread beam. So select which one you want to go for. The type is mentioned on the box.
Old 21st December 2011, 18:19   #160
BHPian

My Hella Experience!

Yeppie! I got my Hella up on my Scorpio today!

Oh boy, I was just too under prepared for the task! Especially just when every mechanic sent me to a tinkering shop & every tinker sent me to another tinkering shop! All this when I wanted it @ the RJSTYLES way! (but without a nudge).

I first picked up a pair of HELLA Rallyee 700ff 'through' distributor in GP Road @ 5500/- {I am sure one will get it a better price! Lets just say I am not that good at negotiations}. None of the guys on GP Road were ready for the task - so was the story with the mechanics around Alwarpet. Everyone said the same thing - go get those clamps done or let me drill holes on to the bumper. Strangely, every tinkering shop I went to was too 'busy' to do this.

Finally I found this small time automobile - electrician near my home (Jones Battery @ Rajakilpakkam – near Tambaram). He was inexperienced - but seemed like my best bet, especially after what I went through driving around every know tinkering shop. Eventually he turned out to be more useful than I thought.

We first pulled the bumper down & the grill off to explain the set up. He then took us to a welder - who was ready to make those clamps.

We needed clamps measuring 7" x 5". I am sure this should be standard measurement for all Scorpios (2009 -mHwak - SLE). One could just start off from that point to avoid running around.

Once the clamps wre fit them on to the chassis, it needed some twisting & turning to fit into the grill.

Once the clamps were fit, it was a straight forward job. I avoided the temptation of picking up the so called 'better' & "bigger" relays from the electrician and stuck to the OEM stuff. He could connect the wiring to the main fog lamp switch - hence settled in for the OEM switch on my dash board.

Total Damage : 6160/- ( 5500/- for the Hella 700ffs. 500 for labour & 160 for the clamps)

Things to watch out for :
1. Every mechanic advised holes of the bumper if you don't want a nudge
2. OEM stuff works just right, you don't need bigger & better relays, additional wires or switches (well, I am no expert here)
3. Installation shouldn't cost you more than 600-700 bucks all inclusive!

In closing, I really couldn't find any anti theft nuts anywhere in Chennai. I've done the silly thing of writing to barri nut folks in Melbourne to send me a pair - I am sure mail is already on to their trash bin. I also found a couple of exporters in Ludhiana dealing with anti-theft nuts; as expected no response to my emails. Its rather strange that in a country like ours, these nuts aren't popular.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st December 2011 at 18:44. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors, also use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 20:26   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Always that problem of getting it fixed

Quote:
I avoided the temptation of picking up the so called 'better' & "bigger" relays from the electrician and stuck to the OEM stuff. He could connect the wiring to the main fog lamp switch - hence settled in for the OEM switch on my dash board.

2. OEM stuff works just right, you don't need bigger & better relays, additional wires or switches (well, I am no expert here)
@SA, why do you think the OEM relay is sufficient ? When you switch on your head lamps, the relay will now be driving double the load (when the Hella's are switched on). Have you checked if the OEM relay is capable of handling this additional (double) load ?
Old 21st December 2011, 20:34   #162
BHPian

Quote:

@SA, why do you think the OEM relay is sufficient ? When you switch on your head lamps, the relay will now be driving double the load (when the Hella's are switched on). Have you checked if the OEM relay is capable of handling this additional (double) load ?
Condor, sorry, guess I wasn't clear. I used the relay that came along with the hella lamps. We didn't touch/disturb the head lights or its relay. What the electrician suggested was to replace the one that came along with the Hella lamps (- what I meant when I said OEM relay). Do you think I shouldn't have done that?
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:11   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I feel he connected Hellas with OEM relay. Fog lamp switch only will activate this relay. There is no question of sharing this relay with either fog lamps or headlamps. So, it should work without any issues.
Old 24th December 2011, 00:16   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hey Folks,

Today I had a rare experience that Indian consumers almost never get!

I decided to pick up the FF500s but was concerned about the numerous fakes in the market. So I called up Mr. Johnson at the contact listed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1928829 who immediately assured me that he would provide the names of dealers/shops around my home or J.C rd that supply the original kit. A few minutes later I got a call from Mr. Suresh who I believe is the Area Sales Manager for Hella India whose territory covers Bangalore. I requested him to SMS me as I was driving which he did (after personally checking with numerous dealers if they had it in stock!).
I will be fitting these lamps later this week along with FF75s I got from Amazon. Will post pics along with my trip snaps when I am back.
--Ragul
Ragul, do you work for Microsoft Tech Support? Lots of technically correct but useless info .
Jokes apart, could you please add the dealer details and the price you paid for the lamps?

Last edited by Amartya : 5th January 2012 at 09:43. Reason: Avoid quoting full messages unless replying to each and every point made.Just makes browsing a thread easier. Cheers.
Old 5th January 2012, 03:30   #165
BHPian

Hi,

Has anyone tried a similar setup on Wagon R. In the picture posted by rajeshsundaram lamp is mounted using a clamp. If someone has got either Hella 500FF or similar lamps mounted on a Wagon R please post the pictures of the clamp and where have you connected it to the body(either behind grill or similar to Alto posted in thread).

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks