Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 13:24   #1
BHPian

Motorized Car Boot Lid

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has motorized a cars rear booth Lid to completely open and close operated or controlled by a switch in the dashboard.

Is it possible to carry out such a mod on Indian cars?

what would be the mechanism involved and cost?
Old 9th June 2010, 13:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnex View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has motorized a cars rear booth Lid to completely open and close operated or controlled by a switch in the dashboard.

Is it possible to carry out such a mod on Indian cars?

what would be the mechanism involved and cost?

I think it can be easily done, but you might have to get rid of the current hydrolics, it can be a gear setup set on the links which helps the boot to be attahed to the car. Also in some cars the boot has to be slamed to close, in those car the closing has to be really fast to get the required closing force, i mean enought momentum has to be built, or you might have to use some electromagnets which will suck the but lit in when the magnet is activated.

Nice idea though, second problem would be to tell everyone who wants to check whats inside the trunk, that the lid will close and open automatically

Pramod
Old 9th June 2010, 13:36   #3
BHPian

a motorized boot lid is a doable job, a modified power window mechanism with a heavier motor will do it. but its would be an easier job in a sedan than a hatchback.

what kinda car are you thinking of modifying?

cost would depend on who does the job because its more of man hours than spares cost.
it would involve the classic trial and error method.
the Mercedes Benz S600 Pullman (the big Benz) had a hydraulically operated boot lid.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:25   #4
BHPian

Most large SUV's in US have powered rear hatch opening. Reverse engineering a kit for a hatch should be possible ( if money, time and engineering know how to replicate ) is available.

Those hatches usually opened when you hit the boot open button on the key fob and has a button to close placed on the inside of a hatch

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2010 at 16:54. Reason: No need for any tags when posting a youtube vid, just paste the link ;)
Old 9th June 2010, 15:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
what kinda car are you thinking of modifying
I'm looking to carry out the mod on my lancer. The boot has a screen attached on the inner side and the spoiler is quiet heavy to keep it up open, also a potential risk if it suddenly closes down. Want to automate the entire rear setup.

@pramod , thanks pramod, as usual you have caught my attention.

What would be an ideal choice of equipments gear kits involved? I did consider the power window motor but can it handle such heavy weight?
Old 9th June 2010, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Now a days, almost every car has a spring loaded or pneumatic support to open the boot/dickie. Human effort is virtually nill for opening up the lid. The most reasonable way to accomplish this is to install a remote bootlid opener.

Most hatchback cars have gas struts which hold/damp the movement of the bootlid. If one opens the lid, one can open the lid with minimal effort.

Most auto lock companies (Autocop etc) enable a boot opener. While luxury cars have the option as a standard fitment. Though a small modification for low and mid end cars would be enough.

In case of your lancer, you will need struts, mounting points and a remote unlocking mechanism involving your central locking/remote locking. Try Autocop & equivalent companies for their products.
Cheers.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Regnex
Your car definitely needs one. You have the stuff to show people. !
Old 10th June 2010, 00:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Now a days, almost every car has a spring loaded or pneumatic support to open the boot/dickie. Human effort is virtually nill for opening up the lid. The most reasonable way to accomplish this is to install a remote bootlid opener.

Most hatchback cars have gas struts which hold/damp the movement of the bootlid. If one opens the lid, one can open the lid with minimal effort.

Most auto lock companies (Autocop etc) enable a boot opener. While luxury cars have the option as a standard fitment. Though a small modification for low and mid end cars would be enough.

In case of your lancer, you will need struts, mounting points and a remote unlocking mechanism involving your central locking/remote locking. Try Autocop & equivalent companies for their products.
Cheers.
I understand your concept buddy, but the idea is to open the boot lid standing straight right up at 90 degrees. In normal case of standard fitments on the lancer, the boot-lid operating mechanism is very decent but it doesn't pop straight up.
My cars lid is really really heavy, i would like the idea of controlling it the same way as if i was controlling a power window.

could you advice me on what specs of a motor would be ideal for this job? Or is hydraulic or Pneumatic a better option?
Old 10th June 2010, 07:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford cars have it. If you can get the spare, you may be able to fit it into your car.

OT: We felt the same action (opening the boot) can be achieved by pulling a cable. Hence ditched the 6000/- worth offering from Ford, and instead used a 150/- worth boot release cable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks