Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2023, 13:14   #646
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSharma View Post
Hi Guys,

The detailer is Detailing Dons Kharghar and he recommends Tint and Orange over Garware as he is of the opinion that Garware gets more stretch marks and is more prone to yellowing than Tint and Orange. The cost for both are same.

Thanks.
Garware PPF is just average and does have issues with stretch marks and premature yellowing, i would suggest to avoid it. There are many more options available in the market from private importers.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 14:30   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Garware PPF is just average and does have issues with stretch marks and premature yellowing, i would suggest to avoid it. There are many more options available in the market from private importers.
Hi thanks for your suggestion. The detailer suggested the same thing and told that tint and orange ppf is better than garware. He does 8-10 car every month. So he said he has also observed stretch marks and yellowing in garware becoming frequent.

Guess will go with his view of trusting Tint and Orange Ppf.

Thanks.
AlokSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 19:09   #648
BHPian

Hi, I want to go for PPF for my new Innova Crysta (White). Have been quoted below prices from 2 detailers in Gurgaon/Noida.

Safe shield 3 yr warranty - 65k
Garware 3 yr - 55k
Paint Guard 5 yr - 75k
NAR 5yr Instant Healing - 80k
Garware 5 yr (Yellowing Covered) - 75k
Avery Dennison 3 yr (Yellowing Covered) - 75k

Can somebody please guide which is better and whether the prices are right?
Old 9th November 2023, 21:00   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goel.honey View Post
Hi, I want to go for PPF for my new Innova Crysta (White). Have been quoted below prices from 2 detailers in Gurgaon/Noida.

Garware 3 yr - 55k
Paint Guard 5 yr - 75k

Alternatively, you can also suggest any other better brands in similar price range.
Old 9th November 2023, 21:25   #650
BHPian

Quote:

Garware 3 yr - 55k
Paint Guard 5 yr - 75k

These prices for an Innova sound almost too good to be true. I've heard people spending 1.5-1.75 lakhs for smaller cars.
nidhikapoor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 13:10   #651
BHPian

Quote:

Garware 3 yr - 55k
Paint Guard 5 yr - 75k

Quote:
Alternatively, you can also suggest any other better brands in similar price range.
Any comments friends? I need to finalise by tomorrow, your insights would be very helpful.
Old 12th November 2023, 22:13   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Any comments friends? I need to finalise by tomorrow, your insights would be very helpful.
If you want a high quality film, don’t look at Chinese knockoffs. Look at Expel/Llumar, Stek, Optimum, etc. these will be around ₹900-1100/sq.ft. Innova is around 180-190 sq.ft. for reference.

Personally I find the numerous disadvantages of PPF far outweigh the potential rock chip protection it offers, also factor in you’ll still need to apply a ceramic coating over the film if you want long lasting hydrophobic properties that make cleaning a breeze, but this is an additional cost.

Always remember, the cost of installation/paint correction/time taken in terms of man hours doesn’t change one bit irrespective of the PPF roll cost.

Shops selling you film at 30-35% of what it should cost for a good brand + quality install will cut costs with the roll cost. Chinese/Garware rolls can be as cheap as 10-15k per 200 sq.ft. of film, whereas Expel for eg. is around 100k per 200 sq.ft. of film.

Regarding yellowing, they all yellow in 1-2 years (less sometimes), on darker colours this may not be as easily seen that’s all.

Last edited by AJ56 : 12th November 2023 at 22:18.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 10:19   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
If you want a high quality film, don’t look at Chinese knockoffs. Look at Expel/Llumar, Stek, Optimum, etc. these will be around ₹900-1100/sq.ft. Innova is around 180-190 sq.ft. for reference.

Personally I find the numerous disadvantages of PPF far outweigh the potential rock chip protection it offers, also factor in you’ll still need to apply a ceramic coating over the film if you want long lasting hydrophobic properties that make cleaning a breeze, but this is an additional cost.

Always remember, the cost of installation/paint correction/time taken in terms of man hours doesn’t change one bit irrespective of the PPF roll cost.

Shops selling you film at 30-35% of what it should cost for a good brand + quality install will cut costs with the roll cost. Chinese/Garware rolls can be as cheap as 10-15k per 200 sq.ft. of film, whereas Expel for eg. is around 100k per 200 sq.ft. of film.

Regarding yellowing, they all yellow in 1-2 years (less sometimes), on darker colours this may not be as easily seen that’s all.
Thanks Bro for the reply! Just wanted to know Is Avery Dennison also a cheap quality. I dont know much about their PPF, but have known the brand a bit as they used to supply paper labels in my previous company. Always thought they were of decent quallity. Even the detailer is also quoting quite highly of them. Also, could u pls elaborate more on the disadvantages of PPF that u mentioned. I was under the impression that it is much better than other options.
Old 13th November 2023, 18:51   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bro for the reply! Just wanted to know Is Avery Dennison also a cheap quality. I dont know much about their PPF, but have known the brand a bit as they used to supply paper labels in my previous company. Always thought they were of decent quallity. Even the detailer is also quoting quite highly of them. Also, could u pls elaborate more on the disadvantages of PPF that u mentioned. I was under the impression that it is much better than other options.
Happy to help!

Avery is being sold at 75k, start taking out the margins, installer fees (most shops outsource installation), paint correction and labour cost + overheads for 3-5 days it will take to complete the process and you’ll see very quickly that the roll has to be bought very cheaply in order to justify it commercially.

Thats the reason I tell folks to stay away from super cheap films, the other costs don’t change irrespective of how much the roll costs.

The detailer will never talk negatively about it as he’s selling it, good shops will only deal with quality brands generally.

You can read about the disadvantages of PPF here: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/demeri...-its-high-cost

Or simply see post #569 in this thread.
Old 13th November 2023, 22:24   #655
BHPian

Skoda Slavia PPF - Detailing Dons (Navi Mumbai)

I had booked a Skoda Slavia Lava blue way back in mid August and had started researching on getting a PPF. I was getting wary of the ever increasing city traffic especially that of two wheelers and rickshaws and how they try to squeeze every possible space out there in Mumbai Traffic. Add to this the stone chippings and the public parking nightmare (It's is often here where how far the doors can open are tested).

I also read in detail about advantages and disadvantages of PPF and how repainting a panel would also almost cost the same. But felt the advantages of a PPF outweighed all of its drawbacks. I spoke to 4 detailers in Mumbai at length and took quotes from all of them.

1) Optimum Detailerz
Garware 5 year warranty PPF
Cost : 129000 rs
Duration: 7 days

2) 3M Car Care Seawoods
Series 100 7 year warranty PPF
Cost : 150000 rs
Duration: 2.5 days

3) 3M Car Care Vashi
Series 100 7 year warranty PPF
Cost : 115000 rs
Duration: 2.5 days

4) Detailing Dons Kharghar, Navi Mumbai
Garware 5 Year warranty PPF/ Tint and Orange 5 year warranty PPf (180 microns)
Cost: 100000 rs
Duration 2.5 days

Out of the above, I had multiple lengthy calls with both Mr Amol at Optimum Detailerz and Mr Junaid at Detailing Dons to try and understand small nuances related to PPF. Both went to great lengths at explaining in detail. Two of my friends had got their car PPFed at Detailing Dons and were happy with their workmanship. I finally decided to go with Detailing Dons as it was both cheaper and the Duration was also 2.5-3 days as against 7 days of Optimum Detailerz.

Finally after taking the delivery of the Slavia on 3 Nov, I called up Junaid at Detailing Dons and told him that I can get the car as soon as possible. Unfortunately he said the next 4-5 days are booked due to festive season. The next 3-5 days seemed like eternity and I just passed the time just driving around within Navi Mumbai with sparse traffic. Finally, on 9 Nov, I reached Detailing Dons at around 11 am and started discussing the formalities. Junaid suggested that I should look at Tint and Orange with 5 year warranty.

I had read and heard lot of issues cropping up with Garware with regards to yellowing and stretch marks. A couple of PPF applicators in Mumbai confirmed the same.

Junaid said that they have been doing Tint and Orange for almost an year now and the complaints were rare. I decided to trust him and went ahead with his suggestion to opt for Tint and Orange with 5 year warranty. He said that since they are the authorised dealers for Tint and Orange in Mumbai, they will address any issues with it.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231109wa0006.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231109wa0007.jpg

The whole PPF process involved the following process
1.Full body clay-bar decontamination
2.Full body Paint correction
3.Full paint body PPF
4.Roof top Ceramic
5.Alloys (ceramic)
6.Front & back windshield (ceramic)
7.Fibres ceramic
7.Engine rodent coat
8.Detail Interior cleaning

I was told that I would get the car on Saturday evening and I was eagerly waiting for the same. Junaid kept me updated with pictures and they have quite an active page on Instagram.

Finally I reached the store on Saturday evening and there it was the shining in all its glory. It looked drop dead Gorgeous . The attention to detail was extremely good and I was pretty happy with their work. The car will now for for a small inspection after 8-10 days for any abnormalities related to bubbles or anything else showing up.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231113wa0037.jpg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231113wa0036.jpg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231113wa0035.jpg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231113wa0034.jpg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231113wa0038.jpg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20231113wa0039.jpg  

Last edited by AlokSharma : 15th November 2023 at 07:29. Reason: Error in price points corrected and post edited for factual errors
AlokSharma is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:10   #656
BHPian

Some pics show parts of the car as if it's matte. Is this just the camera angle or you choose to do a gloss + matte ppf
venukrithish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:48   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venukrithish View Post
Some pics show parts of the car as if it's matte. Is this just the camera angle or you choose to do a gloss + matte ppf
It is the camera angle and the light not falling on that part of the car vis-a-vis the other parts where the lights on the roof are falling.
AlokSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 22:44   #658
BHPian

PPF vs Ceramic for headlights

What's the general recommendation for headlights and tail lights? PPF or ceramic coating? I read somewhere that PPF, no matter how good the quality is, will turn yellow soon due to the heat generated by lights (even LED lights generate so much heat?).

But don't understand the point of having ceramic coating? Very confused
Old 17th November 2023, 23:34   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post
PPF vs Ceramic for headlights

But don't understand the point of having ceramic coating? Very confused
PPF is primarily for protecting the paint from stone chips and mild scratches from day to day use. Therefore the primary use is physical protection that has a limited self healing capability although it also offers hydrophobic properties.

Ceramic coating is primarily for making the car easy to clean by adding excellent hydrophobic properties. It also offers a decent short-term protection from surface contaminants (like bird droppings) but doesn’t really provide any physical protection to scratches and stuff.

PPF or Ceramic coating seems like an overkill for headlights though. If you were to go with one, I’d choose Ceramic coating.

You are right about the PPF film turning yellow but it has less to do with heat and more to do with UV. Exposure to sunlight will turn the film yellow even if you turn the headlights off always.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 17th November 2023 at 23:37. Reason: Some more details
krishnakumar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:38   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

PPF or Ceramic coating seems like an overkill for headlights though. If you were to go with one, I’d choose Ceramic coating.
That matches what I've been reading so far. But I was thinking PPF can help with the scratches. My old i20 (2009) had so many scratches on the headlight

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks