Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2022, 23:22   #391
BANNED

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

I checked with a local detailer today about PPF. These were the quotes for the an SUV like ScorpioN:

1. Brand : Body Shield (Made In Korea) : 1.2 Lakhs => TPU with 5 year warranty.
2. Brand : Dyno STEK (Made In USA) : 1.8 Lakhs => TPU with 5 year warranty.

The detailer wants these amounts in cash preferably, else 18% GST adds up. Also, he will needs to keep the car for 3+ days and said they can do it for any color whatsoever (including White as both TPUs mentioned above come with anti yellow feature).

He was showing me some cardboard boxes of Dyno STEK and claimed they came sealed from the US. I don't know if they keep those boxes all the time thrown on the floor to create this effect.

Is Dyno STEK premium of 60K worth it? How is Body Shield?
MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 03:33   #392
BHPian

Hello, I am getting delivery of my white BMW 220i this week. I have decided to go for Ppf TPU, the detailer has offered following options Maxdecal, Bremen or Hexis. He recommends Maxdecal which comes with 10 year warranty, high flex scratch resistant, uv protected, hydrophobic and self healing.
The detailer is Bigfoot car detailing center in Sahakar Nagar, Bangalore. Kindly help to make right choice.
Old 28th August 2022, 08:07   #393
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshbhatiaa View Post
Hello, I am getting delivery of my white BMW 220i this week. I have decided to go for Ppf TPU, the detailer has offered following options Maxdecal, Bremen or Hexis. He recommends Maxdecal which comes with 10 year warranty, high flex scratch resistant, uv protected, hydrophobic and self healing.
The detailer is Bigfoot car detailing center in Sahakar Nagar, Bangalore. Kindly help to make right choice.
What were the quotes (costs)? And did he say anything about anti yellowing since your car is white.
Old 28th August 2022, 08:26   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
What were the quotes (costs)? And did he say anything about anti yellowing since your car is white.
They are all anti yellowing. For Maxdecal he is finally negotiating at 80,000 for entire car with ten year warranty. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 28th August 2022, 08:42   #395
BANNED

Quote:
They are all anti yellowing. For Maxdecal he is finally negotiating at 80,000 for entire car with ten year warranty. Let me know your thoughts.
80K is pretty good. I am getting quotes of upwards of 1.2L - 1.8 L for SUV. Is your BMW a large car or a mid sized one?
Old 28th August 2022, 08:59   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
80K is pretty good. I am getting quotes of upwards of 1.2L - 1.8 L for SUV. Is your BMW a large car or a mid sized one?
It is comparatively way smaller than your Scorpio N and hence the difference in price i guess. Mine is a sedan, almost the size of Honda City.
There are tons of brands available in market and that's why it is confusing. Can we get 2 or 3 reputed brand names with which we cannot go wrong please.
Old 29th August 2022, 14:34   #397
BHPian

Quote:
It is comparatively way smaller than your Scorpio N and hence the difference in price i guess. Mine is a sedan, almost the size of Honda City.
There are tons of brands available in market and that's why it is confusing. Can we get 2 or 3 reputed brand names with which we cannot go wrong please.
Xpel, Hexis, Lumaar and Stek are reputed brands.
Apart from the product , the installer also plays an important role in overall fit and finesse.
Make sure you go to a authorised installer and not get stuck with some fake ones in the market.
goenkakushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 14:43   #398
BHPian

Hello all, planning to get PPF done on my car, looking for help on the following -

1. Any long term reviews from folks that have got PPF done, does any yellowing happen after 4-5 years, does the shine stay intact?
2. Is there a need to replace the PPF after 4-5 years, has anyone done that and was it a smooth process ? Most companies now are selling 5 years warranty on their products so hopefully this should not be a problem
3. Does anyone have experience with UltraShieldX brand that is used by Detailing Mafia, I think it’s a Korean product and is used by them across all their centres.
4. Has anyone put vinyl wrap on their alloys, i want to dechrome them but want to avoid getting them painted as that needs some sanding of the current finish to ensure that the paint holds.

Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 17:09   #399
BHPian

When evaluating PPF, also check on combination of PPF TPU and Ceramic coating.

When I get my next car, I plan to cover the high prone/impact areas with PPF:
- Front and Rear Bumpers
- Front Bonnet
- Front side fenders
- Area behind handles
- Door Edges

Based on your car, just check on high prone areas based on shape of vehicle

For rest of areas, I plan to get only ceramic coating.

One of my friend did similar thing. Few days back, a scooter did scrap off front bumper and it did end up damaging the bumper. So now he would have to get PPF removed, get bumper painted and again pay to reapply fresh PPF on that section. On different incident, someone mildly touched the rear bumper and the PPF was able to take impact.
Old 29th August 2022, 18:44   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I am getting delivery of my white BMW 220i this week. I have decided to go for Ppf TPU,
Hi Nilesh. My suggestion would be to read on Llumar PPF and find their authorized installer. They also have a 10 year warranty which is sent to the owner directly by Llumar (through an email). I have it on one of my vehicles and it has held up well so far.
Newtown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 23:16   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Anything under 1.7-1.8L for your 220i is highly suspect as you can rest assured it’s not a well known brand being used. Look for Optimum, Expel, Llumar if you want high quality films. Also, there will be some yellowing 1-2 years down the line even with the best of films, you can search for different brands being tested by well known detailers on YouTube.

There will be an increase in optical distortion (orange peel) as well as you are covering paint with a polyurethane film. Also, if you want lasting hydrophobic and self cleaning properties consider putting a pro level ceramic coating on the PPF as the coating that it comes with wears off within 1-2 months. Ceramic coating self healing PPF does not affect the self levelling properties.

Finally, if you’re very particular about having a perfect finish avoid PPF as you will find debris in at least 1-2 areas (most likely more) as a perfect install is impossible, I say this from experience.

Also look for a shop that uses pre cut pieces for each panel, this will greatly reduce the scratch marks left by the blade when cutting the film at each panels edge.

Note regarding self levelling properties most shops won’t tell you, the polymer can only ‘flow’ and self level very fine swirls a finite amount of times, you still need to follow all the safe washing practices if you want to maintain gloss over time.

Last edited by AJ56 : 31st August 2022 at 23:33.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:33   #402
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians,

As I am about to take the delivery of a white compass, diesel, from Landmark Jeep, new Delhi, I am in doubts whether I should go for partial PPF protection because of reported yellowing issue or go for ceramic coating. I have a tendency to get the sides of the cars grazed in traffic, so would have preferred partial PPF protection. Would also be grateful, if reference for any particular detailer is given in and around dealership area,in South Delhi.

many thanks
fawad
Old 1st September 2022, 22:26   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Dear fellow BHPians,

As I am about to take the delivery of a white compass, diesel, from Landmark Jeep, new Delhi, I am in doubts whether I should go for partial PPF protection because of reported yellowing issue or go for ceramic coating.
In my opinion, PPF doesn’t go well with white colour.
It’s not a matter of if but when it will turn yellow.
Ceramic is the better option for white colour.
Local Jeep dealership offers a ceramic car care package in which they charge Rs 24k and offer services for 3 years.They have outsourced this service to 3M.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 23:05   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
In my opinion, PPF doesn’t go well with white colour.
It’s not a matter of if but when it will turn yellow.
Ceramic is the better option for white colour.
Local Jeep dealership offers a ceramic car care package in which they charge Rs 24k and offer services for 3 years.They have outsourced this service to 3M.
Thanks Ishlinea7260 for the advice. Actually I stay in Aligarh, so I doubt I would be able to get the benefit of their services, since ceramic coating requires maintenance every quarterly or so.
Thing is I definitely need some kind of protection in the scratch prone areas due to my poor sense of the size of the vehicles especially on the left hand side. Difficult situation.
Old 2nd September 2022, 00:07   #405
BHPian

Quote:

I can vouch for the detailing center as its run by one of the fellow BHPian.
He introduced me to the detailing world almost 8 years back.
A very nice guy and to the point.
I trust him with my vehicle any given day.
Ask for Nirmal when you call them and he will explain you everything in detail.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks