Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 10:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon with a 1980's Nissan Diesel engine= FAIL

This Ikon is a 2000 model 1.3 Endura-E petrol which had clocked about 1,50,000 kms with its original engine.
It used to run in CNG but took ages to start after an average of 10-15 cranks.
Then this year in March its sound surprised me as how come a petrol engine sounded like diesel?
On opening the bonnet, I was horrified to see this..a diesel engine from Nissan!
But he didn't tell me from where he got it, and from which vehicle it was swapped.
7 months after, this thing again takes ages to start, vibrates and pollutes like hell with thick black smoke (one of the reasons for my current sickness), its fan belt squeaks like hell and wakes the entire building up every morning, almost has run out of engine oil, such badly maintained vehicle it is.

Of course this car belongs to someone in my locality..
FAIL

BTW can anyone make out from which Nissan vehicle has the engine been swapped?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon with a 1980's Nissan Diesel engine= FAIL-dsc03548.jpg  

Ford Ikon with a 1980's Nissan Diesel engine= FAIL-dsc03546.jpg  

Ford Ikon with a 1980's Nissan Diesel engine= FAIL-dsc03547.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 17th November 2009 at 10:28.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 13:13   #2
BHPian

Someone actually had the TIME & MONEY to do this ?
Old 17th November 2009, 14:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a common practise amongst road side mechanics in small towns in Haryana and Punjab. Once a engine of an old car like this dies they suggest to plonk in a diesel, if the owner agrees they source a dirt cheap Toyota/Nissan's ages old engine from mayapuri and dump it in the car with their made in workshop iron mountings, No need to guess the result it is a disaster just like this one but the mechanic makes good money.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 15:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This is a common practise amongst road side mechanics in small towns in Haryana and Punjab. Once a engine of an old car like this dies they suggest to plonk in a diesel, if the owner agrees they source a dirt cheap Toyota/Nissan's ages old engine from mayapuri and dump it in the car with their made in workshop iron mountings, No need to guess the result it is a disaster just like this one but the mechanic makes good money.
True, road side mechs love doing this and usually suggest the owner to change the engine to these tractor ones. The original engine too possibly would be working well, they just take a chance and mislead the owner. Sell the original one to someone else and this one to this car owner, make loads of money. So common this practice is that there would even be documentation existing for it.
Old 17th November 2009, 18:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Dam ! I dint knew about these things,But how could the owners be so stupid ?
Old 17th November 2009, 18:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pathetic. From your description and the pictures, it looks like a road side install of a worn out used diesel engine. The owner would have been better off rebuilding his petrol engine + a good CNG kit.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:53   #7
BHPian

This is pathetic & dangerous. Look at those wires. This can be termed as a chalta-firta bomb.
Old 18th November 2009, 19:01   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Isn't this illegal? Now what does the vehicle registration read vis-a-vis engine and chassis number? Can/ will the owner of such a car be arrested?
Old 19th November 2009, 09:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Doing something silly like this may seam like a good deal initially given that it will be cheaper than buying a diesel Ikon but in the long run it will become a money pit !!.

He/she should have just sold and bought a newer icon petrol or diesel rather than go through this.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is illegal to have the engine changed without re-registration. RTO will re-register the car only after ascertaining whether the vehicle is usable on the long run or not. In this case RTO would have rejected the same. Also by the description this car will not clear pollution control scan. Again it is illegal to run such a car on the road.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Such swaps used to be very common a few years back. I am surprised that someone has actually gone ahead and done it to an IKON because these swaps were usually done on old ambys and gypsy's. Around Merutt there used to be a huge market for this kinda work but now a days its a faint resemblance of its hey days. Also the swa[ is illegal and the vehicle can be impounded, that is if it doesnt get disintegrated before.
Old 20th November 2009, 20:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just now I will give you something to tom tom about myself- my sickness may have been taken care of by nature, the car's engine has seized.
Old 20th November 2009, 21:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly I would have preferred it to be charred beyond recognition with a nice bolt of lighting, preferable with the mechanic who did the engine change inside, but I guess for now an engine seizure has calmed me down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks