Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 13:38   #301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
That's a nice tacho freakrz Is that an auto guage meter?

Also, its suprising that you this done at your friendly neighbourhood MASS.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa, I'm in line with you for the A-star tacho. If your ordering one let me know. You can tell your MASS to get 2 and I will also come down and get it fitted.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:52   #302
Senior - BHPian

gpa,
Let me know how it goes with the A-Star tacho. I will check up with MSM tomorrow when I visit them for first service.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:05   #303
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
gpa, I'm in line with you for the A-star tacho. If your ordering one let me know. You can tell your MASS to get 2 and I will also come down and get it fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
gpa,
Let me know how it goes with the A-Star tacho. I will check up with MSM tomorrow when I visit them for first service.
Gandan and Vidyut,

Will keep you guys posted. It will happen around about the time when my 20,000 kms service is due. Should take a week or so to arrive, so will let you know well in advance.

Gansan,

You can try enquiring about the tacho as well and ask them if they will fit it in the Alto.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 29th July 2009, 12:49   #304
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Wiring of Tachometres

Was thinking about this as I was driving to work this morning and so decided to post it. Amit, it will be of help if you could reply to this post.

Do all tachometers come with similar wiring/cabling? For instance, does the A-Star tacho come with the same wiring/cabling that can be fitted on the Alto the same way you have fitted your Autoguage one?

The fitting process for the Alto that you mentioned is very simple, but was just curious if the same would apply for the A-Star tacho.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 29th July 2009, 13:28   #305
Senior - BHPian

^^ cant say about a-star tacho. but almost all tachos work on the same AC current inductive pick up. so every tacho should take a signal from the coil source on alto.

i dont understand however why are you behind the A-star tacho. within same cost you will get an autogauge which is tested on alto. just my 2 cents.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:51   #306
Senior - BHPian

Checked with MSM during first service. They have the A-Star tacho, but will neither do the mod work themselves, nor sell it to me (no MGP counter sales). Say they are part of Maruti-Suzuki and not allowed to do any mod work. Told me to try at sales & service dealer points.

Amit, the main reason for trying to get it done thro' A.S.S network is not to vitiate my 4 year warranty in any manner. Also, the A-Star tacho looks cool!
Old 29th July 2009, 15:18   #307
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i dont understand however why are you behind the A-star tacho. within same cost you will get an autogauge which is tested on alto. just my 2 cents.
Thanks for your reply Amit. I guess I'm just smitten by the A-Star tacho ever since I took a drive in my friend's car that had it.

I am also open to an Autoguage as well, but I'm not sure of where I can source the same in Bangalore and also, my MASS has agreed to fit the A-Star's tacho on my car (which is still under warranty). So, I'm a little concerned on that front as wel.

Would you happen to have any idea where I can source an Autoguage tacho in BLR?

Cheers,
gpa
Old 29th July 2009, 15:27   #308
Senior - BHPian

^^^ if u are concerned about warranty then go for A star Tacho. however i dont think fittment of tacho voids warranty. there is no need to cut wire or anything at all
Old 29th July 2009, 15:37   #309
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ if u are concerned about warranty then go for A star Tacho. however i dont think fittment of tacho voids warranty. there is no need to cut wire or anything at all
I have browsed the Autoguage site and the have some really cool looking ones. But, unfortunately the warranty (2+2years in my case) is the problem which is why I'm hesitant.

However, I don't understand how the fitment can be done without the splicing of wires? One lead as you said is connected to the terminal of the ignition coil, one to the lighting circuit (would involve cutting?) which comes on when parking lights are turned on and one to the ground. Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 29th July 2009, 15:42   #310
Senior - BHPian

in my installation not a single wire is sliced. the coil ones needs to be winded over the screw. the parking light ones and the power all taken from the fuse box that sits beneath the steering.

i was very much impressed with the installer the way he executed the job without cutting the wires. i handed over 50rs more to him
Old 29th July 2009, 15:56   #311
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in my installation not a single wire is sliced. the coil ones needs to be winded over the screw. the parking light ones and the power all taken from the fuse box that sits beneath the steering.
I'm truly impressed as well Amit. I know this is a long shot, but, would it be possible for you to post pics of the connections at the fuse box as this will help many of us who want to get the tacho installed in their Altos?
Old 30th July 2009, 01:28   #312
Senior - BHPian

I was looking to install a Tacho in my Friends Swift LXi, When we connected all the wires according to the wiring digram given with the Tacho, The Tacho showed only half reading, The tacho would show the Car hitting the Rev-Limiter at around 3200 RPM.

How should I fix it?? do I need to wire it in a different manner??
Old 30th July 2009, 02:04   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
I was looking to install a Tacho in my Friends Swift LXi, When we connected all the wires according to the wiring digram given with the Tacho, The Tacho showed only half reading, The tacho would show the Car hitting the Rev-Limiter at around 3200 RPM. How should I fix it?? do I need to wire it in a different manner??
Hi m4ugr8, can you specify what tach & the source for the RPM signal ?

The Swift's G13B uses DDLI (for dual distributor-less ignition), basically each DDLI coil sits atop a spark plug & provides the "juice" for it and another spark plug (wasted spark). I'm guessing you've used a coil for the RPM source, hence you're seeing only half the RPM. A work-around would be to switch the tach to a 2-cylinder setting or you could try using the RPM signal to the ECU.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:01   #314
Senior - BHPian

^^ +1 to this, if the tacho has a cylinder selector switch you can put the tacho to 2 cylinder mode. tachos dont work with ddis systems without taking the signal from the ECU.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:03   #315
BHPian

the problem is not many tacho have a 2 cly setting.
Autometer, Autogauge, Autogage don't have a 2 cly setting.
for tacho without 2cly setting, autometer has a DIS adapter. Google it.

only Sunpro and some Chinese brands have a 2 cly setting in some models and can be sourced from USA or China.

UM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks