Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 17:12   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post

also, i have had mixed reactions to the need to reinforce chassis for this engine
You will most certainly need to reinforce the chassis. The chassis will be under excessive strain with the kind of power a 3.5 L, V-8 will provide.

Also since it is most likely an old contessa that you will be working on I would recommend you having the underbody (both sides - inside and outside) of the car fiber glassed. This will cover the chassis and provide added strength to the chassis and obviously, the shell of the car too (which is the main purpose).
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:10   #512
BHPian

hey viraat
thanks man
will the fibre glassing be enough or further reinforcement of chassis would be required
also, can you recommend some sites that shed further light on this whole idea of fibreglassing of the underbody
thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 17:02   #513
BHPian

Quote:
hey viraat
thanks man
will the fibre glassing be enough or further reinforcement of chassis would be required
also, can you recommend some sites that shed further light on this whole idea of fibreglassing of the underbody
thanks
I think you will need further reinforcement.
I suppose if you just weld steel on the major joints and add some more strips to any part that is longer than say 3 feet, it should be enough. This should add more rigidity to the chassis and it should be good to go. Add to this the fiberglass and then car should be able to handle the new engine.

I'm not aware of any sites that provide information about fiberglassing as I am telling you about it from my own experience. I got it done from Pandit & Co. in Delhi (look them up, they have a page on facebook). And it was successful in terms of helping the car gain some strength.

Also before you go ahead with the welding please, PLEASE ask Psycho and Miyer. They are the ultimate experts on the Contessa. I'm new and inexperienced.
I have started a car project which includes body work, minor re-fabrications and modifications and its going pretty well - its my 1st project at the age of 17. ANYWAY point being that, I still have a LOT to learn and I might not be 100% correct about the welding.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:22   #514
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's a tip since we are now venturing into chassis reinforcing. Get in touch with Dilip Desai. Take his advice, no one knows performance Contessas better than him. He is a veteran from the industry, owns his own garage in Pune and prepared / drove India's fastest Contessa at one time. The man is brilliance.
Old 5th May 2010, 14:30   #515
Senior - BHPian

A fantastic read this one. Dont know how I miissed this thread. One day, I would want to muscle up my 118 NE (my love) to make it look sportier and make it faster.

A lot of work, time and money has been invested in your project. Cant wait to see the end result.

What is the ETA for completion?
Old 5th May 2010, 17:38   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's a tip since we are now venturing into chassis reinforcing. Get in touch with Dilip Desai.

Ah! I knew I was missing one name! I know somebody who worked with him a long time ago and he is of the same opinion, IE - The man is truly brilliant.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:51   #517
BHPian

Quote:
hey viraat
thanks man
thanks
Well Fiberglass-ing the underbody is done mostly to prevent rust protecting.

But when you are talking about a v8 power or an open top, you definitely need to increase your body structure by adding extra sheet thickness to the bed.additional structures for rigidity and then SKS coat it to prevent it from rusting.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:02   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjaril View Post
Well Fiberglass-ing the underbody is done mostly to prevent rust protecting.
That is also one of the uses of fiberglassing. But I can vouch for the amount of strength it provides in respect to the effort that it takes.

My Conti got rammed in the back by a bus whose driver had fallen a sleep at the wheel and half of the dickey got shoved in. But from the point where the fiberglass started, it was still undamaged. Later when I was getting it fixed the mechanic told me that there was NO damage to the chassis of the car IE not even a single shred of (semi) rusted metal fell off.

But you have got a valid point, adding sheet metal will only be beneficial. Unless of course CD is looking for a lighter car in which case we are in trouble!
Old 6th May 2010, 15:34   #519
BHPian

hey virat / konjaril / mod

thanks a lot for your inputs
I will definately try and get in touch with mr dilip desai for his comments

I actually intend to mod the conti into a proper muscle car with a proper muscle engine
the acceleration has to be great so i guess, adding too much of weight will be a factor

i would actually love to check out the reinforcement process in person or on videos
I stay in ahmedabad and have spoken to a lot of people about the whole modding process, bet believe me, garage owners are just not interested in getting out of their comfort zones and try something challenging
just the thought of a complete engine swap brings a frown on their faces

modding here in india, is sadly all about putting low clearance tacky fibre skirts and viciously crazy spoilers, thats it
ppls just dont understand the restoration process, its frustrating

some others who show some level of interest in it are way too overconfident about the whole process, they make the whole engine swap sound like childs play, something that they see and do every day, which they definately dont

wish there was some good single stop garage to cater to all my requirements
Old 6th May 2010, 19:51   #520
BHPian

Quote:
hey virat / konjaril / mod

thanks a lot for your inputs
I will definately try and get in touch with mr dilip desai for his comments

I actually intend to mod the conti into a proper muscle car with a proper muscle engine
the acceleration has to be great so i guess, adding too much of weight will be a factor

i would actually love to check out the reinforcement process in person or on videos
I stay in ahmedabad and have spoken to a lot of people about the whole modding process, bet believe me, garage owners are just not interested in getting out of their comfort zones and try something challenging
just the thought of a complete engine swap brings a frown on their faces

modding here in india, is sadly all about putting low clearance tacky fibre skirts and viciously crazy spoilers, thats it
ppls just dont understand the restoration process, its frustrating

some others who show some level of interest in it are way too overconfident about the whole process, they make the whole engine swap sound like childs play, something that they see and do every day, which they definately dont

wish there was some good single stop garage to cater to all my requirements

I guess you could use aluminum as its light weight and strong or maybe some other alloy. Don't know how strongly it will weld with the steel of the car though.
I guess you could ask popular and active members from Ahmedabad to help you find a good garage.
You are SO right about those tacky side skirts etc etc. [The owner of the car that I am working on wanted those kind of things but I toned it down drastically. It actually looks nice now! (Sorry mods I know that was off topic) ]
I dont even know why people put ugly spoilers. Besides they only come into effect beyond 170 kmph.
Please do not try any of those over confident types, your car will end up sitting there and rotting with no progress made.
Good luck with finding a garage that would actually do some work!
Old 6th May 2010, 22:41   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I guess you could use aluminum as its light weight and strong or maybe some other alloy. Don't know how strongly it will weld with the steel of the car though.
I guess you could ask popular and active members from Ahmedabad to help you find a good garage.
You are SO right about those tacky side skirts etc etc. [The owner of the car that I am working on wanted those kind of things but I toned it down drastically. It actually looks nice now! (Sorry mods I know that was off topic) ]
I dont even know why people put ugly spoilers. Besides they only come into effect beyond 170 kmph.
Please do not try any of those over confident types, your car will end up sitting there and rotting with no progress made.
Good luck with finding a garage that would actually do some work!
i completely agree with Mr Dalvi,people just make it sound it like a childs play.Aluminium is one of the softest metal and welding it to sheet metal is not a very brave idea, all i can say is you will have to add more reinforcements and a rollcage if possible.
You are talking about a v8 here for Pete's sake, how light the body the more the power to weight ratio differs. The only thing you will get on a very light v8 engined car would be unlimited wheel spins and hovercraft styled handling. Manufactures make it possible as they have the Facility and RnD needed just to keep the car safe and drivable on road. With a v8 power you would actually want to increase your car weight instead and its a v8 it will take anything on it. i hope i made some sense!

Last edited by konjaril : 6th May 2010 at 22:59.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:14   #522
BHPian

Fyi

As per my knowledge, aluminium cannot be welded to another material unless its an alloy of aluminium itself and then again it needs very precise Tig Welding for it to come out properly. Working on Aluminium is artwork in itself and needs a great amount of knowhow as well as skill.

Aluminium normally has been rivitted and recently glued with some very high Quality Glues.

Nigel
Old 7th May 2010, 17:49   #523
BHPian

Konjaril - It is possible that you are right about aluminum not being strong but I always thought that the strength to weight ratio was good. Also I assume a 1500 KG Contessa is heavy enough on its own? But you do have a valid point. CD you should go ahead with adding sheet metal. It makes sense to me and I'm sure you dont want to have your car doing wheel-spins all the time OR fish-tailing at high speeds!

NigelLopez - Thanks for the heads up. I somehow end up increasing my knowledge base everytime I come to T-BHP.
Old 8th May 2010, 17:30   #524
BHPian

hey konjaril

thats a very valid point, i had missed, thanks for pointing it out to me

hey viraat, guess i will stick with the sheet metal addition........someone pls recommend a good bodybuilder in ahmedabad...
Old 8th May 2010, 22:34   #525
BHPian

Quote:
hey viraat, guess i will stick with the sheet metal addition........someone pls recommend a good bodybuilder in ahmedabad...
Yes please do.
It was pretty obvious that my idea was not the best!
I asked an acquaintance of mine if he knew a good body shop in your city he says he used to go to Sagar Auto Body Reparing Works in Mirzapur.‎ I do NOT know how good or bad it is or if it even exists. I have never been there or to Ahmedabad so..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks