Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 13:41   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th November 2013 at 14:33.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hi Rakesh

Your install is looking decent and not out of place for a swift.

I want to know your experience with the install and i have a few questions. I had posted the same on another thread as under :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...500-ff-17.html

please see post 253,254 and 255 and you wil understand the queries in my mind.

I have already fabricated the clamp in such a way that there is no welding required . The clamps are already made . I somehow didnt have time to install them yet.
I am planning to bolt the clamps at the top of the Radiator assembly(there is a metal frame which also holds the radiator in place (top of radiator )(the bumper is also bolted to that frame) and then the Clamp goes behind/ inside the front grill and then the lamp bolting tip of the clamp just peeps out from the smiley grill( besides TATA logo).
(exactly the way it looks from outside in your swift
The wiring is also ready . Just the final installation is ready

The advantage with this plan
1) i felt was that the Bumper is still the 1st contact point in case of a small nudge.
2)The Aux lights (Comet 500 FFs are installed at height exactly the same as stock headlights
I also plan to fit the lights only when planning to do night higway drives.
I have planned the wiring in such a way that i have put male female connectors in the wiring just next to the lamps. (these connectors are the same that come in HID KITS)
The plan is to unscrew the lights and keep it in the boot unless any night highway drives is on the cards.

I also want to ask you

1)How is beam pattern and throw? have you used it at night on the highways yet? can you share your experience?
I want visibility to maintain 80-100-110kmph speed on highways in the night
on those highway stretches where you don't have fellow motorists to follow and get guided on the path.
2)Is my plan to unfit and fit the lights frequently (say once a month)
feasible?I don't know how ill i get the beam alignment and focusing right every time i fit & install the lights back.
The aux lamps do aid you better during night drives.I'd suggest you to not remove them if you frequently do night driving.Beam pattern of the comet 500 is a pencil beam type.Rest discussed as per our conversation.Do post in some pics if possible.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 19th November 2013 at 14:59.
Old 19th November 2013, 15:17   #108
BHPian

My error guys .
Sorry mods for this one.

The Aux lamps i am talking about here is COMET 200FF and not COMET 500 FF.
Please note the correction - Rakesh and Condor.

There seems to be very little difference in performance & beam pattern though.
Comet 200 FF is more expensive one.

Comet 200 FF beam pattern is supposed to be slightly longer as shown in below pic comparison

(Top is comet 200 ff and bottom is comet 500 ff)
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-beam-pattern-comet-200-ff.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-beam-pattern-comet-500-ff.jpg  

Last edited by madhu33 : 19th November 2013 at 15:25.
Old 20th November 2013, 17:02   #109
Senior - BHPian

Was wondering which is the most compact of the Hella lights. Is it 3003 or 200/500?
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:13   #110
BHPian

Finally installed Comet 200 FFs .
The dealer sent pearl white color lamps which incidentally is exact match to my
Manza's pearl white.
Welded the clamps to cross/tie member. No vibration at all.
Very sturdy.

Original plan was actually such that the clamp was made where no welding was required with the thinking in mind that we will bolt the clamp to the frame at the top of radiator. However on completion of that we found out that it was hindering the closure of bonnet. Hence that plan had to be changed to welding on cross member. Results in pics below

Beam pattern is pencil beam and illuminates the area beyond my stock high beams which was what i wanted . I am very well aware that i have to use these hellas very sparingly on highways in order not to blind fellow motorists.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-20131121_205135.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-20131122_1023211111.jpg  

Attached Images

madhu33 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:31   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Finally installed Comet 200 FFs .
The dealer sent pearl white color lamps which incidentally is exact match to my
Manza's pearl white.
Welded the clamps to cross/tie member. No vibration at all.
Very sturdy.

Original plan was actually such that the clamp was made where no welding was required with the thinking in mind that we will bolt the clamp to the frame at the top of radiator. However on completion of that we found out that it was hindering the closure of bonnet. Hence that plan had to be changed to welding on cross member. Results in pics below

Beam pattern is pencil beam and illuminates the area beyond my stock high beams which was what i wanted . I am very well aware that i have to use these hellas very sparingly on highways in order not to blind fellow motorists.
Do post some photos of the beam pattern, both with & without your main lights. Also till what distance is the throw of the Comets?
Old 23rd November 2013, 14:33   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Do post some photos of the beam pattern, both with & without your main lights. Also till what distance is the throw of the Comets?
1)Only Hellas

2)Only Stock low beams

3) stock low beams + Stock high beams

4)Hellas +stock low beam

5)all lights on exteriors.

The pictures have been taken by my mobile and actually do not represent the facts.One has to actually experience to understand the difference.
However actual improvement cannot be commented unless driven in nights on highways at those speeds
I have night highway drive coming up tonite .

Will keep you guys posted
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-only-hellas.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-stock-low-beams.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-stock-low-beams-high-beams.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-hellas-low-beam.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-car-all-lights-exteriors.jpg  

madhu33 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 11:21   #113
BHPian

Quote:
1)Only Hellas

2)Only Stock low beams

3) stock low beams + Stock high beams

4)Hellas +stock low beam

5)all lights on exteriors.

The pictures have been taken by my mobile and actually do not represent the facts.One has to actually experience to understand the difference.
However actual improvement cannot be commented unless driven in nights on highways at those speeds
I have night highway drive coming up tonite .

Will keep you guys posted
Hellas have good throw. From the pictures I can see that if you upgrade your Fog lamps you will have 100% light coverage of both near & far.
Also you may need to adjust your mail headlamp properly. Looks to be throwing more light to the right.

Contact the folks at "http://www.4x4offroad.in" for locking nuts. Otherwise you will get on ebay. See "http://www.ebay.com/bhp/anti-theft-nut". Only freight will be too high.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 24th November 2013 at 11:24. Reason: Added comment
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 17:25   #114
BHPian

Hi, Can someone provide feeback on Hella Black Magic 500 Driving Lamps? I am planning to get a set for my Ritz.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:29   #115
BHPian

In my opinion Black Magic is more aesthetically pleasing, rather than being performance driven. Try out the 500 or the 500FF. Check out www.myhellalights.com, download the .pdf brochure and go thru the beam patterns. You can have a rough idea on the light throw.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi, Can someone provide feeback on Hella Black Magic 500 Driving Lamps? I am planning to get a set for my Ritz.
Nothing great about the Black Magic, if it's aesthetics that matter then go for it. Else the 500FF will beat the pants off the former. We did a test between the two sometime back and the 500FF had better light throw and intensity.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 3rd December 2013 at 11:40.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:14   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Nothing great about the Black Magic, if it's aesthetics that matter then go for it. Else the 500FF will beat the pants off the former. We did a test between the two sometime back and the 500FF had better light throw and intensity.
Rhiju the website states 500 has a better throw than 500 ff. Even that software which is there in myhellalights also confirms that. Any idea?
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Rhiju the website states 500 has a better throw than 500 ff. Even that software which is there in myhellalights also confirms that. Any idea?
me_sid I was in the market for a 2nd set of lamps and we tried both the black magic and the 500FF. After checking both lights against each other we zeroed in on the 500FF.
Just to ensure that my eyes weren't playing games , got my friend to bring his XUV which has a set of 500FF's and we mounted the Black Magic lamps on my Scorpio. It was quite apparent that the 500FF fared better than the black magic.

If you are keen on buying them, check the lamps individually and you will see the difference.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:40   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

me_sid I was in the market for a 2nd set of lamps and we tried both the black magic and the 500FF. After checking both lights against each other we zeroed in on the 500FF.
Just to ensure that my eyes weren't playing games , got my friend to bring his XUV which has a set of 500FF's and we mounted the Black Magic lamps on my Scorpio. It was quite apparent that the 500FF fared better than the black magic.

If you are keen on buying them, check the lamps individually and you will see the difference.
Got it! Am also convinced that 500FF is way better than the 500 Black Magic. I was actually talking about the 500 compared to the 500FF. And how much did you shell out for the FF? It comes in a package, right ,with the harness, relay and the switch?
Old 25th April 2014, 14:28   #120
BHPian

Hi,
I have an old Fiat Padmini (1990) which I am unable to drive at night due to poor light of the stock headlight. Could anybody suggest an auxiliary lamp for it. It is driven occasionally and I'm not looking to light up the road. Just something that will improve the current situation and not drain the battery considering the age/sophistication (lack of) of the car. Also something that is reasonably priced and any precautions that I have to take during installation? Thanks

Last edited by car love : 25th April 2014 at 14:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks