Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2021, 08:57   #271
BANNED

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
That's 400W of combined load, just for the aux lights (not counted the 8x60w LEDs). Don't you think the alternator is getting overloaded, even if you are not using the lights for a longer duration? A pair of 3003s with 100W/55W HIDs I believe would have been more than sufficient.
The alternator is rated for 720 watts. Yes, that is an additional load. I had changed the licence plate(5Wx2), pilot lamp(5wx2), tail light(21wx2), brake light bulbs to Leds(1w,1.2w). I had stopped using the OEM fogs too(55wx2). This had eased up the load by a good margin. In addition to that my car doesn't have music system(I use a tribit soundbar or oneplus headhones), power windows, rain sensors or remote locks. I drove without switching on AC most of the time too, and use the mildest possible setting nowadays.

When running the hellas for longer durations(rainy, foggy conditons, especially hills), I switch off the headlights and LEDS too.

I do manage to keep the load equal to or lesser than someone running 100bulbs on the headlamps and a pair lamps.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 9th July 2021 at 09:00.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 09:04   #272
BANNED

Are there any LED lights in the market with a color temperature of 3500-4500k? I find white lights simply not to my taste and don’t prefer garish yellow lights either.
Old 9th July 2021, 09:09   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
This looks a little overdone for me. You don't need so many lights.

Following are the cons:-
1. You are restricting the air flow to the engine.
2. Prolonged use will make the light hot and so hot air will be drawn inside the engine. Although not much, but still there is a chance.
3. As any such light is illegal, you are attracting the police to catch you and eventually fine you.
4. No matter how strongly you have fitted them, the light alignment will go over a period of time, with wind pressure.

A simple yet effective method is to install a long led bar which will give you almost the same amount of light.
Thanks for pitching in.

1. I mount them only during night. They lie in my boot most of the time. I usually remove them while entering new cities to avoid the Long arm of the law. This further aids in cooling.

2. 95% of my driving takes place by night only. The car is kept stock during Day drives.

3. Any aux lamp mounted with its center of axis below the line connecting the axes of the headlamps is legal. Yes there is a 60w limit though. Hence I remove them just before entering cities.

I genuinely wish for the LEDs(both oem and aftermarket), extra aux lamps (scorpio has 8 oem bulbs!) and the high powered bulbs of lorries are kept off roads.

4. I am used to aligning them before most of the long drives. I keep a ratchet spanner and a couple of other spanners to remove or adjust the lights in the car all the time in addition to some fuses and bulbs.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 9th July 2021 at 09:25.
Old 9th July 2021, 09:35   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Thanks for pitching in.
I can see that you have done your homework well.

In future you can consider Led bars, as they will give you almost the same power, can be left permanently on the car and will not be bulky. To avoid the cops, you can just cover it.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 09:40   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I can see that you have done your homework well.

In future you can consider Led bars, as they will give you almost the same power, can be left permanently on the car and will not be bulky. To avoid the cops, you can just cover it.
Thanks

I will keep that in mind.
Old 9th July 2021, 10:23   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone strengthened the cross member to mount heavier aux lamps and horns?
Weld one more L bracket under the present one, match the mounting holes of course and that should do it.

You may as well look at stitching rexin covers at an upholstery shop instead of removing this everytime.

How is the wiring? Hella`s instructions is to wire it to the high beam with a switch & relay for deactivating the aux lights when not needed. I have them 700FFs mounted that way. 4000s are drool worthy aux lights, once you get this set up right no LEDs will every satisfy you.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 11:43   #277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Weld one more L bracket under the present one, match the mounting holes of course and that should do it.

You may as well look at stitching rexin covers at an upholstery shop instead of removing this everytime.

How is the wiring? Hella`s instructions is to wire it to the high beam with a switch & relay for deactivating the aux lights when not needed. I have them 700FFs mounted that way. 4000s are drool worthy aux lights, once you get this set up right no LEDs will every satisfy you.
Thanks for the reassuring reply.

I thought the cross member might need to get beefed up throughout the entire length with a thick steel flat. The total weight on the cross member currently is Hella Supertones (1.09kg), Bosch Europas(2.26kg), 8 led cubes(.376kgx8), Hella 500ff(.586kgx4) along with the clamps totalling close to 10kg.

It is reassuring to knownthat they can handle 20kg.

I wanted to buy these Hella Rallye 4000 right from the beginning and was really surprised to find them selling for Rs 4,000/- im amazon. With two of my current 500ff lights out of commission, I happily stretched by budget to the painful max and opted for these.

I will keep the rexin idea in mind. I was paranoid about the possibility of vandalism or theft too in addition to avoiding legal issues. This lead me to make them detachable.

I had them wired separately using WOLO RC100 switches. They get switched on or off from the remote button under my steering wheel. I keep toggling them on and off a few times every km.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-img20190421wa0010-1.jpeg  

Auxiliary Lamps-img20190420wa0003.jpeg  

Auxiliary Lamps-img20190420wa0005.jpeg  

Auxiliary Lamps-img20190420wa0026.jpeg  

Old 9th July 2021, 12:09   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I will keep the rexin idea in mind. I was paranoid about the possibility of vandalism or theft too in addition to avoiding legal issues. This lead me to make them detachable.

I had them wired separately using WOLO RC100 switches. They get switched on or off from the remote button under my steering wheel. I keep toggling them on and off a few times every km.
If you can remove and refit then easily, some else can in your absence - make it as complicated to remove as possible, you could even consider a C channel with slots to cover the mounting bolts - secure this channel using 4 allen key bolts.

An alternative for rexin cover is to use Hella covers and screw them into the body of the light towards the rear. On the inside of the light housing the screw hole can be capped off to prevent water entry. The reflector is anyways a separate piece, so no worries. This can be done on the plastic housing as well.

The wireless switch is cool, never knew something like that existed - Thank you for the pictures.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 12:24   #279
BANNED

Quote:
If you can remove and refit then easily, some else can in your absence
100% True. I will have to adopt measures against that.

Quote:
An alternative for rexin cover is to use Hella covers and screw them into the body of the light towards the rear. On the inside of the light housing the screw hole can be capped off to prevent water entry. The reflector is anyways a separate piece, so no worries. This can be done on the plastic housing as well.
It would be mighty helpful for me if I get to see a link for that. I will google it.
Old 21st July 2021, 19:53   #280
BANNED

I have got the Rallye 4000s mounted today. :

The clamps were redone on the existing clamp. The cross member was left untouched.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-img_20210721_135113_6_1.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20210721_155434_0_1.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2021, 12:07   #281
BHPian

@commuter
Wont this affect the air flow to the radiator? Just curious to know how you will mitigate the restricted flow to aid in cooling. i think your fan would remain on for longer in the current scenario.

Regards,
Manoj.
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:12   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The clamps were redone on the existing clamp. The cross member was left untouched.
And let the light reign for ever and ever

Hella looks spectacular - well done, there seems to be a car stuck behind it!!
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:33   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A bit too much for my liking. But those Hella's look neat. I would be happy with just two of those. This reminds me of those SUV's with 4 Roots Vibrasonic horns fitted outside the grill which I encounter on my every trip to Chennai. I am sure you are not mis-using these lights like those guys do their horns.

How do you remove and refit them easily? The 4 Hella's.

This was how my old Figo looked although I used to leave them covered and use them only if I ended up driving in the dark on the highway. One of them was broken and hence not connected, one was a fog lamp and other two had 100w bulbs and were spot lights which helped to an extent.
That car needed it because the stock lamps even with 100/90 bulbs were not good.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...-000-km-6.html (Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km)

Last edited by tharian : 23rd July 2021 at 12:34.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:37   #284
anb
BHPian

Quote:

If Kerala MVD see this, they will give you challan for Rs.40000. They will count each light as separate modifications and the fine per modification is Rs.5000.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 21:24   #285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
@commuter
Wont this affect the air flow to the radiator? Just curious to know how you will mitigate the restricted flow to aid in cooling. i think your fan would remain on for longer in the current scenario.

Regards,
Manoj.
I remove them during day and mount them only during night. My speed rarely crosses 90kmph which lowers the need to cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am sure you are not mis-using these lights like those guys do their horns.

How do you remove and refit them easily? The 4 Hella's.

This was how my old Figo looked although I used to leave them covered and use them only if I ended up driving in the dark on the highway.

That car needed it because the stock lamps even with 100/90 bulbs were not good.
I chose to have the clamp bolted on to the welded stub poking through the bumper. The wiring is done via sockets that can be clicked on or off in an instant. I have left the spanners lying in the car's golve box.

No, I don't mis-use at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
If Kerala MVD see this, they will give you challan for Rs.40000. They will count each light as separate modifications and the fine per modification is Rs.5000.
I will be careful to remove them too before entering cities. I have the tools and the wires are attached using detachable sockets. I can remove all of them and switch off the extra horns in just a few minutes after pulling over by the road side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks