Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:23   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am running 500ff on my verna and don't really see much improvement in throw compared to the stock hi-beam.
Like Sankar & you, I have used the 500FF and have not see any serious improvement in throw. The reach of this lamp is a little more than the stock lamps. So the advantage of the 500FF's is when the stock head lamps are H4 type ( dual beam), so that you can use these in conjunction with the stock lamps - without burning up the stock bulbs.
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:43   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Another intresting aspect of high-power aux lamps : glare on windshied ..

Auxiliary Lamps-kcslimlitephoto2.jpg

Should we block out the upper part of the beam ? or may be turn the lamps a little downwards ?

(note: image source: the web. URL says e-bay)
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:01   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Used to think fog lamps are mounted in bumpers. Here's a roof implementation inside this clip. The clip itself compares a few lamp setup's.

Old 2nd March 2015, 14:33   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Here is one comparison video
Yep have seen that video, it was useful during the purchase decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Like Sankar & you, I have used the 500FF and have not see any serious improvement in throw.
I have never used the 500FF, I had the Rallye 3003 Compact which were awesome and later crappy KC Hilites Apollo Pro.

Quote:
Another intresting aspect of high-power aux lamps : glare on windshied ..

Attachment 1345606

Should we block out the upper part of the beam ? or may be turn the lamps a little downwards ?
Are you buying the aux lamps with Fog beam pattern for use in fog; or Spot or Driving beam pattern?

I don't think you should worry about blocking the upper part of the beam in your aux lamps in foggy situations because in fog you should use fog lamps and not driving or spot lamps. If you are buying a fog pattern aux lamp then you should mount it on the bumper.

In the video; they are not driving through a fog with fog lamps on And if they were then what's mentioned in the image you posted above would happen with the roof mounted fog lights.
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:40   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking out for a spot beam pattern.

reg the posts - I have posted separate clips in separate posts, showing different aspects. Not to be tied to eac other.
Old 2nd May 2015, 00:01   #141
BHPian

Hi,

I have an Indigo, and I occasionally need to go to Munnar and other hilly areas in connection with work, during which I sometimes have to drive in fog. As I found one really scary time in Munnar, the stock headlights even with Osram Nightbreakers are simply not good enough. I prefer to drive at night on trips longer than 2 hours. Plus there's a chance my next posting might be to Munnar or nearby high-range areas.

So what are my options here?

1) Upgrade OE fog lamps (H11) with more powerful beams
2) Fix Aux lamps (needs alterations + welding)
3) Fix an LED light bar (Cree or one of those really wide beams) on the bumper, within the slats on the lower grille

Which of these would be a better option? Users please advise.. I also need to know if aux lamps fitted below headlamps are legal here in Kerala?
Old 16th June 2015, 07:40   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Like Sankar & you, I have used the 500FF and have not see any serious improvement in throw. The reach of this lamp is a little more than the stock lamps. So the advantage of the 500FF's is when the stock head lamps are H4 type ( dual beam), so that you can use these in conjunction with the stock lamps - without burning up the stock bulbs.
Lightforce or lightforce style OEM's are much better for long range spot lighting. As mentioned in another thread, I get a throw of at least 1000 meters (1 Kms) with these OEM's on my Safari. But these are the top range 9 inch 100 W HID with 6000K colour option.

I had a similar 6 inch lights on my Swift, but with 55W HID running 8000 K which was far too bright to mine and others liking. Too much glare and then swapped to lesser color temp to get that perfect lighting combination. I should tell you these were great to use at night and spot wildlife, specially when visiting our farm near Yelandur.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-image.jpg  

Old 16th June 2015, 07:47   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightforce is Good, possibly one of the best. But we consider one's budget, then these dont even come into contention. That's the catch. :(

What I would look for is a little more reach than stock, a little more brightness - without blinding the person coming in the opposite direction.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th June 2015 at 09:08. Reason: Edited as requested.
Old 16th June 2015, 13:14   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Lightforce is Good, possibly one of the best. But we consider one's budget, then these dont even come into contention. That's the catch. :(

What I would look for is a little more reach than stock, a little more brightness - without blinding the person coming in the opposite direction.
The one above is Lightforce style OEM and I paid considerably less than the quoted price of Rs 65000 for branded Lightforce. However, the OEM was imported from a friend in Aus.
Old 24th June 2015, 05:58   #145
BHPian

Pic 1 - Dark no Lights
Pic 2 - High Beam Stock
Pic 3 - Not in Focus Spots
Pic 4 - Spots focused to ensure it does not blind other people. Zoom to see the volume (Luminosity) of the light. That can be focused to go much much more farther away.

Driving mode in Dark is Pic 4 - so that it ensures ample lighting but not to blind other people. I will post another pic of how far the light can travel when I get the chance to project it on a deserted road.

PS: I have had these lights for about 2 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-dark-no-lights.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-low-beam.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-non-focus.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-hid-lights.jpg  

Old 24th June 2015, 06:58   #146
BHPian

Just a quick note to say that Driving Mode 4 is not for use in City but while driving in village and country roads.

It is a bit sad to note that stock high beam has quite a bit of scatter in comparison with these spots. This is evident when you can see the building to the left of the picture in Pic 2, but these are not seen while spots are on. This scatter is what causes glare onto oncoming traffic.
Old 7th July 2015, 14:48   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody know where indelhi one can get neolites?
Old 20th July 2015, 21:04   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Just a quick note to say that Driving Mode 4 is not for use in City but while driving in village and country roads.

It is a bit sad to note that stock high beam has quite a bit of scatter in comparison with these spots. This is evident when you can see the building to the left of the picture in Pic 2, but these are not seen while spots are on. This scatter is what causes glare onto oncoming traffic.
Do you have any pics of the mounting underneath the bumper?
Old 21st July 2015, 17:04   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Does anybody know where indelhi one can get neolites?
I tried Kashmere Gate a year or so back for Neolites, but was unable to find them. Got a pair of Lumax lamps instead and they had really good spot throw and were really cheap as well.
Old 21st July 2015, 23:17   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post

I tried Kashmere Gate a year or so back for Neolites, but was unable to find them. Got a pair of Lumax lamps instead and they had really good spot throw and were really cheap as well.
What size, and what bulbs did they take?
How cheap is really cheap?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks