Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: The best airfilters around..
K&N Air Filters 142 57.72%
Pipercross Air Filters 24 9.76%
Greencotton Air Filters 58 23.58%
Othes 22 8.94%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 01:41   #211
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
If it doesnt make a difference, why fit conical in the first place?
Sorry, I didn't make it clear enough. My answer was relating to the dust problem rather than performance. If the filter is placed in the right position it will pick up comparatively little dust.

Thbe performance of a proper air intake revision makes a difference
Old 1st June 2010, 08:31   #212
BHPian

i have used the K&N with intake pipe in my OHC and i have also installed pipercross with intake pipe in my swift. Although K&N is a class apart, pipercross is also very good. Gives a nice sound to the car.

wanted to know whether fitting hks iridium spark plugs will improve the performance of the swift.
Old 1st June 2010, 08:42   #213
BHPian

There is ALWAYS a compromise between placing the filter & dust collection by the filter. THE BEST position of filter placement is in the front bumper. That way, some of the pressure loss of the filter is negated, at higher speeds. That however collects the most dust. Also the coldest possible ambient air is taken in.

Any other placement of the filter is NOT optimal in an NA engine. However these other positions collect less dust.

Last edited by 1self : 1st June 2010 at 08:43.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:36   #214
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
i have used the K&N with intake pipe in my OHC and i have also installed pipercross with intake pipe in my swift. Although K&N is a class apart, pipercross is also very good. Gives a nice sound to the car.

wanted to know whether fitting hks iridium spark plugs will improve the performance of the swift.
Iridium plugs are a double sided sword. I generally steer away from them. It is more important to have ignition leads changed every other year unless the coils sit on top of the spark plugs.

So far I have never had a car on the Dyno with a PiperX that showed any advantage or gain the stock air intake.

None of the tuners in the Uk nor any other I knoe rates them.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:03   #215
BHPian

do iridium plugs increase performance in stock car?
Old 9th June 2010, 15:45   #216
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
do iridium plugs increase performance in stock car?
They do not increase performance. They might be under certain conditions more stabil than cheap plugs, but most plugs today are very good.
Old 10th June 2010, 01:35   #217
BHPian

Hey cph, another question is whether installing new headers would increase the overall temperature of the engine bay thereby reducing the performance of intakes?
Old 10th June 2010, 09:22   #218
Senior - BHPian

In a moving car, the temperature inside the engine bay is usually not more than a couple of degrees higher than outside temperatures. And no, headers don't increase temperature of the engine bay though it's recommended to heat-wrap them to save nearby components since OEM exhausts come with a shield for the same reason.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:36   #219
BHPian

Folks, this may be of interest to you guys. Decades ago I used to ride a Yezdi, which had an air filter made up of metal filings between metal nettings. To clean the filter (I did this quite often) one had to wash the contraption in petrol and put to dry. Then dip this "filter" into a bowl with a little oil in petrol to form a thin film of oil on the metal filings. The filtering was effected by air passing over the packed filings smeared in thin film of oil that adsorbed the dust particles - QED. The Yezdi was a 250cc two stroke engine and gave me 40kmpl for my labors. Remember this was an old technology engine.

Now pan to modern times. One day I took the wrong turn on the Nerul-Uran road and ended up driving a couple of kilometers on absolutely dusty road. A month later on our way to Goa there was this feeling of low performance from my Alto. It wasn't riding so smoothly. On reaching Goa, I got my cousin to take me to a local garage where the guy "cleaned" the filter panel by simply blowing compressed air over it. My cousin warned me not to touch any liquid to the paper (I was thinking of cleaning it with petrol! Haha) lest the dust particles get embedded into the paper and damage it for ever. What happened after this cleaning was great (as expected); back came the smooth purr of my Alto and the drive was pretty smooth and I also got an FE of 23kmpl including ghats. The earlier FE had come down to 19kmpl. Take home lesson to me is to regularly clean my filter paper with virgin air.
Old 13th June 2010, 18:31   #220
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
Hey cph, another question is whether installing new headers would increase the overall temperature of the engine bay thereby reducing the performance of intakes?
It depends on the engine bay, the header design, the driving conditions and weather conditions what the under bonnet temperatures are.

Obviously lower ambient temperatures mean lower temperature in the engine bay, but also rain affects it. A cast iron header needs longer warming up but also will transfer the heat to the rain quite quickly.

If the headers are comparatively thing then more heat will pass the walls in the engine bay.

Ceramic coated headers decrease under bonnet temperature considerably, which doesn't mean only that the intake temperature is lower but also that the gas speed is maintained longer, which in turn means that the scavenging is improved resulting in a bit more power.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:10   #221
BANNED

This is my second K&N, Previously I had it in my Aveo, it changed the way Aveo behaved.

Now in the mHawk, first few days were not impressive, afterwards, the drive is amazing. It costed me Rs.5300
Old 25th November 2010, 23:16   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
That being said, I do not know what benefit a stock replacement filter would offer apart from longer replacement intervals.
Apart from longer replacement intervals, paper filters also give better filtering - which is what those lil' suckers are there for in the first place.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:39   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Air Filters - K&N vs Greencotton vs Pipercross

Intend replacing K&N with Green Cotton on RE TB 350.

Could some one give me some pointers for the pros and cons?
Should I stick with K&N or should I switch over at all?
Old 11th April 2014, 10:52   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Intend replacing K&N with Green Cotton on RE TB 350.

Could some one give me some pointers for the pros and cons?
Should I stick with K&N or should I switch over at all?
As a reply to this most K&N users will support K&N, and Green users will support Green -- rarely expect a response from someone who has a definite answer. (I think since most garages sell K&N, you might see more comments supporting it)

However, since there's nothing definite out there to help you this time, I would like to make a suggestion which would require a little extra work from your side... (sorry)

Since you already intend to replace a K&N with Green, why not do an in-depth review on the differences between them -- so that at least from now on, we have a proper answer to this evergreen (pun not intended) question.
di1in is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 22:42   #225
BHPian

Shaking up an old thread. Are air filters from Purolator good? I'm planning to use them for my Nissan Micra diesel as the OEM filters are not available over the counter. IndustryBuying.com and AutoKartz.com both are showing it as after market replacements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks