Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 14:53   #1
BHPian

Dune Buggy

Hello,
This is a machine that was made in a month to take to the Desert Storm 09.
I had a skoda petrol that i was using,instead of selling it I thought of making a dune buggy out of a bullet proof skoda.Its weighs about 1150 kgs,and is 2.2 meters wide.It has to be of that weight to be elegible to run in the desert storm.It ran the desert strom and dint break a thing,only on the last stage it burnt the clutch..

As i cant weild on my place,the buggy was made at my friends place in Baroda.
I have put big tires,now i am going to change the final drive to go a bit more faster.I drive this on the same roads where i drive the evos,nissan,and every other car...this thing is too smooth and the best toy I have owned.

I would want you all to see the weild and build quality

It cost about 10 laks to make

Thanks
Karan
Attached Thumbnails
Dune Buggy-27042009003.jpg  

Dune Buggy-before-paint.jpg  

Dune Buggy-weld-quality.jpg  

Dune Buggy-start.jpg  

Dune Buggy-cimg0025.jpg  

Old 6th May 2009, 14:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Awesome but can we have more details please. You always leave us thirsting for more

need some hard core specs please. If any
Old 6th May 2009, 15:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, looks a stunner and must be a sure shot reliable performer if you say that it finished the DS 09.

Put in some big MT tyres and you are ready for off-roading my friend.

PS: 10L is including the engine or excluding it? A breakup/split on 10L would help
Old 6th May 2009, 15:14   #4
BHPian

Thats an awesome build!

Yea like khan_sultan said some better tires and it should be outstanding for offroading!
Old 6th May 2009, 15:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good one but did you mean to say you had a SKODA PETROL ENGINE that you used here ? because I dont see much of the SKODA car here.

is the frame based on any existing design or was it designed ground up ?
Old 6th May 2009, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

OMG,never expected a buggy here.I expected all kinds of swaps mitsu,honda but never a buggy.Wonderfull job KS.Kindly give us more details regarding the jobs done,any perticular make took as a role model etc.Like in the earlier posts we are always thirsty for more.Congrats on this ground zero build buddie,

ram
Old 6th May 2009, 15:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey this is a great build man..sounds very interesting.
Can you give details of the specs?
Old 6th May 2009, 15:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice work Karan. The finish looks good and sturdy. I always thought dune buggy's are light for sheer manouverability. At over a tonne how does this beast handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Motorsport View Post
I drive this on the same roads where i drive the evos,nissan,and every other car...this thing is too smooth and the best toy I have owned.
Is this machine street legal as I can see the regn. plates on the buggy. Have you got it registered or are the plates from the Skoda?

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th May 2009 at 15:38.
Old 6th May 2009, 15:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Good one but did you mean to say you had a SKODA PETROL ENGINE that you used here ? because I dont see much of the SKODA car here.

is the frame based on any existing design or was it designed ground up ?
No,it was built ground up...
I will put up some photos of the engine as soon as my camera is charged.
We used the front hub and brakes,anti roll bar and sturts on the skoda.For the next one we will use special struts made by Black Art Desgine(UK) for us

The next one will be about 700kgs and with better suspension.The is all was room of improvement.All the "ears" are 3mm thick,next one will be 1.6 mm,etc will be done to reduce the weight and so will the floor,and the over all thickness of the pipe used to make the basic frame will be of thinner gauge

Karan
Attached Thumbnails
Dune Buggy-28042009001.jpg  

Old 6th May 2009, 15:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice. I have an 1.5 OHC which i plan to sell off after a year. Can it be converted similarly?

Any issues with the RTO?
Old 6th May 2009, 15:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Wow, looks a stunner and must be a sure shot reliable performer if you say that it finished the DS 09.

Put in some big MT tyres and you are ready for off-roading my friend.

PS: 10L is including the engine or excluding it? A breakup/split on 10L would help
I would love to go bigger on the tires,but with the given width of 2.2meters,I have so much traction that i would need to put in a 200HP engine to start sliding like Bobby Gordon

10 lac is including the engine and every thign.....keys in ur hand to drive(next one will be narrower and lighter)

I have a 97 lexus LS 400...thinking of making 1 more buggy with V8 4.0 lit automatic....but that my ruin my family life and make me bankrupt

Karan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Nice. I have an 1.5 OHC which i plan to sell off after a year. Can it be converted similarly?

Any issues with the RTO?
I have been using this only in the nights...cops love it..but I know that sooner or later I will get questioned.But on a serious note the buggy has
  1. Windscreen
    Wiper
    Crash Gaurd
    Mud gaurds
    Lights
    Number plate
I am sure that my buggy a lot safer that the autorikshaw and turn turtle and the slightest push from another vehilce....if an auto is leagal..my buggy should be as well.
I know for a fact that it meets the spec laid down by UK for special/prototype vehicle on the road....by who will explain it to the cops here??

Karan

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th May 2009 at 16:16. Reason: back to back posts
Old 6th May 2009, 16:32   #12
BHPian

Make me one!!

Hi Karan,

Excellent work mate.

I just ordered me a 1/5th scale Baja 5B from the USA. This is extremely close to the real thing.. ::HPI RACING:: - Baja 5B SS

This thing hits 50mph - so the actual one should be good for 200mph - 5 times the size.. (And if you have a death wish..)

I'd love to own a real one ..I have a VQ30 that I can plonk in..but the real thing must look like the 5B..

Keep up the good work..
Old 6th May 2009, 16:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Hi Karan,

Excellent work mate.

I just ordered me a 1/5th scale Baja 5B from the USA. This is extremely close to the real thing.. ::HPI RACING:: - Baja 5B SS

This thing hits 50mph - so the actual one should be good for 200mph - 5 times the size.. (And if you have a death wish..)

I'd love to own a real one ..I have a VQ30 that I can plonk in..but the real thing must look like the 5B..

Keep up the good work..
Thank you Prasad
Infact as a kid,I was given a r/c dune buggy called the grass hopper(Tamiya) by my father....and even since wanted a real one..

Got it after 20 years..it was a long wait

Karan
Old 6th May 2009, 16:46   #14
BHPian

My 5B should be here in a couple on months..A friend is getting it with him.

The Chassis and suspension (basically everything) is unbelievably real...This could be great if you want to make something similar to the scaled version..only 4 - 5 times bigger!!

Will be kinda ironic to base a full scale car on a scaled model - but should work like clockwork with the right knowledge, resources and tools!! (Not to forget the DOSH and the Ba77$ to drive it)
Old 6th May 2009, 22:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

WOW!!

That thing is awesome! Great job...and all in a month!

The chassis fabrication is great. Did you base it on a existing design?

I had no idea this existed in bombay! Do you have any pictures of it in action during Desert Storm?

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks