Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 15:56   #16

Re: Innova 7/8 Seater SWAP| Are Seat Mounting bolts Layout common (for Middle Row onl

I have not done it yet..
I got one box made for the place in between the two seats, and got it covered by cushion and the same art leather as the seats. It also have a storage with lock.
it looks fine and seems like three people can sit in the second row, but there is practical problem.. the seat belt buckle sticks out and makes it difficult for the person to sit comfortably. Its just ok for a 10 - 15mins drive. but not more.
Old 20th January 2012, 18:04   #17
SSP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar9
I have not done it yet..
I got one box made for the place in between the two seats, and got it covered by cushion and the same art leather as the seats. It also have a storage with lock.
it looks fine and seems like three people can sit in the second row, but there is practical problem.. the seat belt buckle sticks out and makes it difficult for the person to sit comfortably. Its just ok for a 10 - 15mins drive. but not more.
Could you please post some pictures?
Old 9th April 2012, 20:45   #18
BHPian

Re: Innova 7/8 Seater SWAP| Are Seat Mounting bolts Layout common (for Middle Row onl

I am in the same boat? how difficult it will be to modify caption seats to bench seats.
Will it void warranty?
Will it be an issue with RTO /traffic cop?
any issue in insurance/claims due to this change?

pls help as I need to make a quick call to buy innova.
Old 21st February 2014, 09:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

First of all many thanks to bthirthankar, for starting this thread & others for pitching in with their thoughts. Not sure if any one of you are still tracking this thread, but let me pose my query.

If I am lucky I could get hold of a pre-worshipped Innova-V 7 seater model, within my budget in the next couple of months. It is a well maintained, single handedly used, low running car from a reliable known source. The only deal breaker at this moment is that it is a 7-seater & I wanted a 8-seater, as we are already 6 people in our family & can expect 2-3 more to accompany us on long journeys, I want the maximum seating capacity. Has anyone done it before, removing the two middle row captain seats & fitting the bench seat in its place? Can Toyota authorized dealer do it? How much will they charge? Most importantly has this been successful, I mean are there any rattles, noises, uncomfort due to this swapping?
Old 21st February 2014, 10:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
First of all many thanks to bthirthankar, for starting this thread & others for pitching in with their thoughts. Not sure if any one of you are still tracking this thread, but let me pose my query.

If I am lucky I could get hold of a pre-worshipped Innova-V 7 seater model, within my budget in the next couple of months. It is a well maintained, single handedly used, low running car from a reliable known source. The only deal breaker at this moment is that it is a 7-seater & I wanted a 8-seater, as we are already 6 people in our family & can expect 2-3 more to accompany us on long journeys, I want the maximum seating capacity. Has anyone done it before, removing the two middle row captain seats & fitting the bench seat in its place? Can Toyota authorized dealer do it? How much will they charge? Most importantly has this been successful, I mean are there any rattles, noises, uncomfort due to this swapping?
Well, we have a Innova 8str and were curious to know if it could be converted to the 7str configuration. So we asked the dealer and he says it can be done but we have get the permission for the conversion from the RTO. But personally I think the floor-pan of the 7str Innova is a little different from the 8str one remember reading it somewhere don't know if I am correct.

Last edited by Shanksta : 21st February 2014 at 10:36.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 10:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Well, we have a Innova 8str and were curious to know if it could be converted to the 7str configuration. So we asked the dealer and he says it can be done but we have get the permission for the conversion from the RTO. But personally I think the floor-pan of the 7str Innova is a little different from the 8str one remember reading it somewhere don't know if I am correct.
Thank you for your reply Shanksta. You are right, the RTO endorsement is a must to maintain the RC validity. If the dealer says it can be done, then I think there should not be any issues. Though I don't have the technical details of the floor pan, I have a feeling that the basic frame/chasis for both the type of configurations must to common. It is only the mounting & sliding mechanisms, which would differ. Toyota must have kept the design very modular so that they can easily switch over between the two configurations as per the demand.

How much did the dealer quote you for the change? Also how much time do you have to leave the car at the service centre?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 11:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you for your reply Shanksta. You are right, the RTO endorsement is a must to maintain the RC validity. If the dealer says it can be done, then I think there should not be any issues. Though I don't have the technical details of the floor pan, I have a feeling that the basic frame/chasis for both the type of configurations must to common. It is only the mounting & sliding mechanisms, which would differ. Toyota must have kept the design very modular so that they can easily switch over between the two configurations as per the demand.

How much did the dealer quote you for the change? Also how much time do you have to leave the car at the service centre?
We never asked him for the quote dad & me were just curious to know cause my dad had suddenly developed a fancy to get the captain seats in the 2nd row ever since I started driving, forcing him to sit in the 2nd row.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 11:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
We never asked him for the quote dad & me were just curious to know cause my dad had suddenly developed a fancy to get the captain seats in the 2nd row ever since I started driving, forcing him to sit in the 2nd row.
That is quite an antithesis to my situation. My dad would always be occupying the co-driver seat, but he is insisting on having a bench seat in the second row. He has travelled in my sisters Innova, which had captain seats in second row. During a long drive in that car, only two folks could enjoy the luxury of the captains seats & four others had to be cramped in the 3rd row seat.

Incidentally today morning I had registered on Toyota Bharat website with this query. Also posted the same query on their e-mail id voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in. Within one hour I got a phone call. The lady at the other end said:

"Sir we have received your query @ pre-owned Innova seat swapping. As a company policy we do not encourage swapping the seats". When I asked whether it was technically possible she said, "Please get in touch with your nearest dealer & they can help you out". Though I had posted this query in the Technical section, I was underwhelmed on receiving such un-technical response. Nevertheless I really appreciate Toyota's promptness in calling me back.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 21st February 2014 at 11:31.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 19:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Few minutes back received a standard reply from VOC. As expected they are not recommending any retrofittment.

Innova 7/8 Seater SWAP| Are Seat Mounting bolts Layout common (for Middle Row only)?-voc-reply-21feb2014.jpg
Old 2nd July 2016, 14:07   #25
BHPian

Re: Innova 7/8 Seater SWAP| Are Seat Mounting bolts Layout common (for Middle Row only)?

Hi all,
reviving this old thread as I'm facing this situation myself now!
We owned an 8 seater Innova original model for about 8 years and got rid of it last year, now looking to get hold of the lovely Crysta automatic. However Toyota India have made the auto available on only the 2nd level G variant in 8 seats
What I want is the top end 'Z' variant with the auto tranny (which is available in 7 seats only) and the bench for the 2nd row. Any idea if this is doable? The dealer says the floor layout is different and as such not possible to do, but I'm not convinced as he didnt seem to have reearched it.
has anyone successfully converted or does anyone have a chassis floor layout comparison with the mounting points so I could compare and get done aftermarket if needed?

thanks in advance folks!
Old 30th August 2016, 11:51   #26
BHPian

Re: Innova 7/8 Seater SWAP| Are Seat Mounting bolts Layout common (for Middle Row only)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddo View Post
What I want is the top end 'Z' variant with the auto tranny (which is available in 7 seats only) and the bench for the 2nd row. Any idea if this is doable?
Did you get any solution to your requirement? I'm in the same boat .. I need a VX/ZX Petrol with an 8 Seater !! The GX 8 Seater is like buying an Innova shell without any of the nice features ... The diesel one has a VX 8 seater but I'm specifically looking for Petrol engine ...
Old 31st August 2016, 10:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
Did you get any solution to your requirement? I'm in the same boat .. I need a VX/ZX Petrol with an 8 Seater !! The GX 8 Seater is like buying an Innova shell without any of the nice features ... The diesel one has a VX 8 seater but I'm specifically looking for Petrol engine ...
Unfortunately no solution yet. I'm waiting hoping for an October update to the line-up from Toyota. If nothing, I may end up having to buy a Ford Endeavor!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks