Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2006, 15:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

The ride has improved a lot, thanks to the tires and have good grip too I like it. I'll post the pics once am back in bangy dude. Rite now am at trivandrum.

Trinadha the roll at high speeds are taken care of by a stiffer stabiliser bar at the front. And yes the battery i'm using is a Bosch silver meant for Esteem.
Old 8th April 2009, 16:55   #47
BHPian

Wheres the pics buddy....?

We are still waiting for the pics.

Are you back in Bangalore.

please post pics so even we can get a share of your happiness.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:13   #48
BHPian

guys, I also own a 1984 January Red Maruti Suzuki 800 SS80. Has been with the family since January 1984. I have practically grown with the car and for us in the family its been like a family member.

The car has done close to 175000 Kms without an overhaul and is still going strong. We have 3 other cars in the house including a 1997 Zen, a 2004 Accent and a 2007 Swift DDiS but nothing beats this beauty in looks, drive and emotional value attached.

Even though the car is in a pristine condition with no rusting at all, am planning to restore the car in days to come. Have started identifying the gaps and the parts that need to be replaced. Am in the process on gathering the parts from various spare part dealers in Delhi and around. Also am planning to install an Air Conditoner Unit with back condensor in the car to make the ride more comfortable.

Will post pics of my car soon and then if I manage to restore it, I will post the entire restoration process in pics in the forum.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
We are still waiting for the pics.

Are you back in Bangalore.

please post pics so even we can get a share of your happiness.
Lol.. after three years..? Yes i was back in bangalore and now again back in Trivandrum..

I don't have the car anymore. Anyways here are few photos i had stashed up in Picasa. I used to travel failry often in this car between Bangalore and Trivandrum, broke down on the highway once due to a faulty fuel pump.

Old model Suzuki 800 mod questions.-img_1868.jpg
Old model Suzuki 800 mod questions.-img_1810.jpg
Old model Suzuki 800 mod questions.-img_1636.jpg
Old model Suzuki 800 mod questions.-img_1571.jpg
Old 14th April 2009, 16:59   #50
BHPian

What!!

Are you actually doing 145+ kms/hr??

What did you do to the engine?
Old 15th April 2009, 09:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

150 on the speedo? Yes. Do take into account around 12% to 13% of speedo error. Dint do anything to the engine. Stock exhaust, but centre muffler removed. Carb rejetted, open type air filter box (or HAI )and secondary butterfly of the carb is opened directly instead of vacuum. This was done early in the morning between 5AM to 6AM, so the air was cooler and denser. The camera time print is wrong.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Have the same problem of speedo error in my car too due to radial tyres fitted in the car which has a lesser circumference than the cross ply ones for which the speedo is caliberated.

Great looking car Sankar, pity you had to give her away !
Old 15th April 2009, 12:18   #53
BHPian

in doubt.... SS80 experts please contribute

im in big doubt...hope all the experts of SS80 help me out here.

Im planning to restore my 1985 SS80 DLX. However Im in doubt of the expense I would need to shell out.

I bought it for 35K 15 months back. Its a DLX. I totally spend around 10K till today on maintenance! so thats a total of 45K till now.

I take it to Srinivasa Auto Garage on 16th Cross, Malleshwaram. I have done 2 5000 kms service & other things.

Its a DLX model, with only 86K Kms done. Its was sparingly used by last 2 owners as tires are 8 years old & still have good enough thread!!

Restoration work including all body tinkering & full body paint (inside out):
I consulted few garges in Bangalore as per user feedback in TeamBHP:
Garages I consulted:
1) Sai Colorium - 23K (some 2K paint)
2) Fast Cars on Bannergatta road - 23K (DuPont Paint)
3) Ali garage opp suraksha on Hosur road - 15K (will do only req paint job) some 2K paint)
4) Suraksha on Hosur Road - 22K (some 2K paint)

These are the work i see will come up some day in near future ( 1 year):
I feel all this will required as no maintenance was done by last 2 owners as they hardly used it.

1) Suspension Work - one of my rear tyre is wearing uneven
2) Tyres are 8 years old!! Still have treads but are hard now. Risky to use outside city. Also 1 rim is off. Will need to replace all 5 tyres with rims as rust if also a factor
3) Clutch work may come as per my mechanic
4) Engine if throwing out oil, so will need engine work. Currently i have spark plug sleeves & its distance set so that oil doesnt touch the spark pulg.
5)Battery is weak, 1 cell is dead, so will need to be replaced
6)Air Conditioner - once an inspection said, not much work involved except service & gas refill

All the above expense will be around:
1) 5-7K
2) 10K
3)Dont Know may be max 3-4K
4)Dont Know may be max 10-12K?
5)3-4K
6)may be max 3K

Thats a total of: 33-35K approx.
Experts please correct me if estimate needs correction.

So overall a total of:
23K + 33K + 10K (misc) = 66K!!!

Now I bought this for 35K plus 10K plus 66K thats 1,10,000Rs!!

Experts please go over expenses & let me know if the approx is correct.

Also I was thinking we I can sell this & add the same of amount of money on buying a good zen, would it be a better deal?

But I like this car a lot & have emotions tired up with it...

Im totally confused. Im ok to spend but its should be on & on......Also life expectancy is a question.

I hope people take their time off & reply in detail.

Thanks.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

@ devrajman

I got a lot of things you have mentioned done but since I did the job in 2001, I do not think those costs have relevance now. At that time, I spent around nearly 30K for fitting an AC, getting the entire car tinkered and painted black from the original chocolate brown, got the suspension and brakes overhauled apart from the general service and decarb of engine and exhaust.

Since then, it has run around 55L kms and have not done anything much except the usual service and oil changes. Did get the brakes and front suspension overhauled once and also got the clutch plates changed (this was not done in 2001). Never had any problem with it and it has travelled all over South India !

If you care about the car, you will need to spend an average of around 10K on it per annum as maintenance if you will be running the car for around 15K kms per year, remember, the car is already 25 years old ! This has been my experience.

Last edited by kannan666 : 15th April 2009 at 14:24.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:52   #55
BHPian

kannan,

just wanted to check with you wat special care did u keep while getting an AC installed.
Does the car loose too much power with the AC unit and did u go in for a new radiator+ fan, a high speed blower. Also is ur AC with a back condensor unit or front one.

I am planning to get one installed in my 1984 model SS80, so was wondering, is it worth the effort or no?
Old 15th April 2009, 17:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
kannan,

just wanted to check with you wat special care did u keep while getting an AC installed.
Does the car loose too much power with the AC unit and did u go in for a new radiator+ fan, a high speed blower. Also is ur AC with a back condensor unit or front one.

I am planning to get one installed in my 1984 model SS80, so was wondering, is it worth the effort or no?
Ashish, that was a long time ago, got the AC fixed in 2001. However, to answer a few of your queries, yes, the car does loose power when the AC is switched on and this is most noticeable when the car is fully loaded. On climbs with a full load, the car really struggles when the AC is on, especially if I have not built up some momentum. Of course, I normally don't get to this point as I love my car too much, just switch off the AC till I finish the climb !

No new radiator, fan or blower and the condensor unit is a front one. The tray under the dash had to be cut to place the AC unit and I got the tray relocated, will try and post some pics for you a little later.

In my case, I definitely feel it was worth the effort, I just gave you the worst case scenario above so that you would get the right perspective ! If you know what I mean !
Old 17th April 2009, 14:25   #57
BHPian

guys,
do you recommend a free flow exhaust for the SS80 i plan to restore soon.
what are the advantages and disadvantages and the cost factor involved.
also suggest me a good place in Delhi to get it done from.

Ashish
Old 17th April 2009, 23:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
and secondary butterfly of the carb is opened directly instead of vacuum.
Shankar
Interesting. Any idea how this was achieved? Some kind of linkage? Do you have any photographs of this.
Regards
Nigel
Old 25th April 2009, 08:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Shankar
Interesting. Any idea how this was achieved? Some kind of linkage? Do you have any photographs of this.
Regards
Nigel
I was a simple DIY job. I'll try to explain, i don't have a photo but.

1) The secondary is disconnected from the vacuum diaphragm.
2) There is a throtlle stop kind of thing on the secondary which will prevent the secondary from opening till primary has opened by almost half. This is ground off.
3) A semicircular shaped bit (a thick washer cut into half) was welded to the the primary butterfly's actuator. When primary opens by 25% the secondary would start to open. and When primary is fully opened the secondary is fully open too.

I might have missed few details but, this is what i did basically. It's easy to figure it out if you see the movement of both actuators. Then you'll know what to do to make it open. Wish i had taken a photo but dint have a cam then.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need a complete set of floor mats (OE or even good used ones will do) for my SS80.

Or, would the later models' mats fit in these?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks